PDA

View Full Version : Why no switchable graphics in the g series gaming laptop?

desmond0806
05-05-2012, 04:11 AM
I am really curious as to why Asus did not implement nvidia optimus in these gaming notebooks. Is it because it will affect the dedicated GPU performace? coz it is actually quite crazy to think that u r running a nvidia 560m on BATTERY even when u r on battery saving power option...

xeromist
05-07-2012, 05:47 PM
Yes, Optimus (especially at first launch) had problems and wouldn't switch properly for certain things and there were other problems as well. Since these are primarily dedicated gaming machines ASUS opted to disable it. That's the way I understand it anyway.

Zygomorphic
05-11-2012, 08:22 AM
Good point @xeromist. I have seen some benchmarks, and yes Optimus reduces performance. In an Optimus notebook, only the Intel HD (3000) graphics are attached to the display. The nVidia card renders the scene, then passes the final image back to the Intel HD card to display. Because it goes over the system bus, the framerate (especially at high resolutions) is reduced. Since ASUS assumed that anyone buying a G-series notebook was buying for maximum gaming performance, Optimus would have hindered that. That's why Optimus is on most of their other notebooks, but not the ROG systems.

Actually, I am glad that ASUS chose not to for a different reason: LINUX. LINUX has a hard time supporting custom hardware, and every Optimus hardware is slightly different. By choosing a standard dedicated GPU configuration, ASUS eliminated the LINUX issues as well as made it possible for ROG users to run the nVidia reference drivers.

desmond0806
05-14-2012, 12:00 PM
haha i see.. hei thanks guys!!! :cool: