PDA

View Full Version : G75vw RAM and SSD questions

ducqducq
05-06-2012, 12:23 AM
Hello, this is my first post on these forums and i hope this is the right place to post this, i just bought the G75vw-bbk5 notebook from bestbuy. I will be using this laptop only for some gaming, like starcraft 2, diablo 3, and maybe an mmorpg.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+17.3%26%2334%3B+Laptop+-+8GB+Memory+-+1TB+Hard+Drive/5176239.p?id=1218621250769&skuId=5176239

So i've been reading and i see people upgrading their RAM and swapping out the hard drive for an SSD. I'm not the smartest when it comes to computer stuff but i've learned a lot from browsing forums.

1) A few questions about the RAM. I want to take out my 2x4gb and put in 2x8gb RAM pieces for 16gb total. I see both 1333mhz and 1600mhz. Which is better, can this laptop support that, and whats the difference? I'm thinking of buying 2x8gb 1600mhz from Samsung, kingtson, or maybe even corsair. Any suggestions on which brand to go with, i'd probably order off of newegg.com. I've switched them out on my other laptop and it was simple, i hope theyre not hard to get to in this laptop.

2) I've read that theres 2 hard drives in this laptop, one of them has the 1TB 5400rpm and then theres another one(i'm not sure what the other one does). So would i be able to keep one hard drive with the 1TB 5400rpm and swap the other one out with a SSD hard drive? Would i be using the SSD to boot windows and the 1TB for my personal storage? I'm not too great with computers so is this something i would be able to change out myself? i know changing it out is a easy swap but i mean the whole installing windows and stuff. i don't know how i would make that SSD boot windows and the 1TB one do everything else. which SSD hard drives work well, im thinking a 120GB SSD might be good enough. Heres a few pictures, one of the laptop opened up from the back, and a few of some SSD hard drives i saw at central computers, any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd398/ducq/photo1-2.png
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd398/ducq/photo2-2.jpg
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd398/ducq/photo3-2.jpg
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd398/ducq/photo4-1.jpg

Cecil_2099
05-06-2012, 09:37 AM
ducqducq:

I too have the Best Buy model of the G75. Let me correct a few assumptions you've made about our model:

1) RAM: The 8GB it currently has installed is configured as two sticks of 4GB 1600mhz DDR3 RAM under the keyboard. The two slots under the panel in your picture should be empty (mine are). Therefore, you should be able to get two more sticksof 4GB 1600mhz DDR3 RAM and stick them in those empty slots and there you go, you have 16GB of RAM. I don't have a recommended brand for the RAM though.

2) HDD/SSD: Our model doesn't have two hard drives. It only has one 1TB 5400 RPM Seagate drive. The G75 has two hard drive BAYS, meaning you can add another hard dive (HDD or SSD). I'd also like to do what you have planned (install an SSD as the main boot drive and use the stock 1TB drive as a storage drive) but I haven't gotten around to it. I'm still researching whether or not using the ASUS Recovery DVDs I burned would be able to image a smaller hard drive or if I would have to adjust partition sizes and create a backup image from Windows and restore it onto the new (smaller-size) SSD.

ducqducq
05-06-2012, 11:48 AM
ducqducq:

I too have the Best Buy model of the G75. Let me correct a few assumptions you've made about our model:

1) RAM: The 8GB it currently has installed is configured as two sticks of 4GB 1600mhz DDR3 RAM under the keyboard. The two slots under the panel in your picture should be empty (mine are). Therefore, you should be able to get two more sticksof 4GB 1600mhz DDR3 RAM and stick them in those empty slots and there you go, you have 16GB of RAM. I don't have a recommended brand for the RAM though.

2) HDD/SSD: Our model doesn't have two hard drives. It only has one 1TB 5400 RPM Seagate drive. The G75 has two hard drive BAYS, meaning you can add another hard dive (HDD or SSD). I'd also like to do what you have planned (install an SSD as the main boot drive and use the stock 1TB drive as a storage drive) but I haven't gotten around to it. I'm still researching whether or not using the ASUS Recovery DVDs I burned would be able to image a smaller hard drive or if I would have to adjust partition sizes and create a backup image from Windows and restore it onto the new (smaller-size) SSD.

Okay thanks for clearing that up, the picture is actually froma YouTube video and I did assume that's how mine would look. So I'll just be buying ddr3 2x4gb 1600mhz sticks of RAM and putting them in.
So, I can leave the 1tb drive in there and swap out with an ssd. Hope someone will chime in and give their opinion on the ssd's in the pictures. I might just have central computers do the whole swap and set up cause I'm not too good with this stuff.

ducqducq
05-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Samsung DDR-3 8gb 1600mhz SO-DIMM (2x4gb). Is this what im looking for and does this notebook take 204 pins or 240 pin

Sorry I'm trying to soak all this info up

Zygomorphic
05-06-2012, 12:19 PM
It takes 204 pin, like all other laptops. 240 pin memory is for desktops and servers.

PILGRIM
05-06-2012, 03:22 PM
...So, I can leave the 1tb drive in there and swap out with an ssd. Hope someone will chime in and give their opinion on the ssd's in the pictures.

Well, welcome to the forum, ducqducq.

Crucial and Intel brands for the SSD has been well received for the G74.
I don't see any reason why they won't do well for the G75 either.
And yes, the laptop would be zippier if you use the SSD as the primary OS disk.
Though, I'm not sure on how your 5400 RPM HDD would work with the SSD.
(I have a 128 GB Crucial M4 SSD as the primary OS disk and a 750 GB 7200 RPM HDD,
and I'm not complaining on how they work together..)

...I might just have central computers do the whole swap and set up cause I'm not too good with this stuff.

It wasn't a long time ago when I also wasn't too confident doing a DIY on my G74.
But I thought if I won't start trying to learn to do it myself now, then when would I?..
With the help of THE guys on this forum, all is going well.:)

So, go on ahead.. Unless it's really next to impossible, take the first step..
and open the innards of your G75.. Start poking in.. but don't forget the forum
is always here to assist you.. and before you know it, all is well with you, too..

Daylife
05-06-2012, 04:34 PM
ducqducq:

I have the same model, you sure the RAM is 1600mhz and not 1333mhz?

fuzon1337
05-06-2012, 04:37 PM
If you are running dual channel mode (two slots in use 1 and 3) then 1600mhz will work and singel channel mode (all in use) 1333mhz if I'm not wrong

ducqducq
05-06-2012, 10:47 PM
Okay so I go my ssd installed but I can't figure out how to move the metal Pieces to make the slot spring up to stick the ram in. I don't wanna force anything. Looks like there's some kind of way but can't figure it out. Or do I just slide them in like that?

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd398/ducq/beee2305.jpg

ducqducq
05-06-2012, 11:09 PM
Double post

Cecil_2099
05-07-2012, 12:03 AM
I have the same model, you sure the RAM is 1600mhz and not 1333mhz?

I haven't added extra RAM to mine just yet (no real need for more than 8GB for me right now), but according to the fairly in-depth review over at NotebookReview.com, one of the first buyers of the Best Buy model initially added in 1333mhz RAM first and his speed scores went down from the base stock scores; when he replaced them with 1600mhz sticks his scores went back up.

Here's the link (http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-reviews-owners-lounges/659534-asus-g75vw-ivy-bridge-660m-review.html#post8477352)if you're interested in reviewing what he did.

Cecil_2099
05-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Okay so I go my ssd installed but I can't figure out how to move the metal Pieces to make the slot spring up to stick the ram in. I don't wanna force anything. Looks like there's some kind of way but can't figure it out. Or do I just slide them in like that?

ducqducq: check out this step-by-step on how to install RAM (http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/install-laptop-memory.htm)in a laptop I found through Google. The principles should be the same; just start with installing the RAM in the slot that sits a little lower than the other (I believe it is the white slot).

john_from_ohio
05-07-2012, 01:04 AM
Okay thanks for clearing that up, the picture is actually froma YouTube video and I did assume that's how mine would look. So I'll just be buying ddr3 2x4gb 1600mhz sticks of RAM and putting them in.
So, I can leave the 1tb drive in there and swap out with an ssd. Hope someone will chime in and give their opinion on the ssd's in the pictures. I might just have central computers do the whole swap and set up cause I'm not too good with this stuff.

To install the RAM ( I just completed identical upgrade on my new G75VW ) you need to stick it in firmly and press it down. If inserted into position at a slight angle you need to push it in somewhat and then down. If unsure if it is in completely then use clips on side to release it and do it again.

I always remove battery when doing anything like this ... put battery back in when complete.

For my SSD I selected the Intel 520 but used 180 gb model.

I did the SSD upgrade by first burning 3 recovery disks thru Asus AI recovery.

I pulled the old 1 TB drive out after burning recovery disks and left it out. It will be ultimate backup ...

Put in new SSD and used recovery disks to re-install OS and Asus utilities software etc into new machine. Later upgrade OS to Win 7 professional.

Using a separate different 1 TB drive ( reformatted ) in other side.

ducqducq
05-07-2012, 01:30 AM
Okay I figured out the RAM part, I'm stupid. I was under the impression that moving the metal pieces would physically cause the slot to point upwards. I inserted them at an angle until they slid in, then press down and they clipped in firmly. Thanks.

As for the switching the SSD to boot windows thing, I'm afraid to mess something up. Ill look up some guides but I might just have someone else do it. I think I need to update the bios as well? Thanks for the great help!

Cecil_2099
05-07-2012, 05:14 AM

I pulled the old 1 TB drive out after burning recovery disks and left it out. It will be ultimate backup ...

Put in new SSD and used recovery disks to re-install OS and Asus utilities software etc into new machine. Later upgrade OS to Win 7 professional.

Using a separate different 1 TB drive ( reformatted ) in other side.

Thanks for listing the steps. Glad to hear the recovery discs can be used to re-install OS, utilties, software, etc. onto the new SSD. Puts a lot of conflicting information I've been seeing around the 'net to rest.

ducqducq
05-07-2012, 05:48 AM
Why is it neccessary to upgrade to win 7 professional? So once windows is loaded onto the Ssd, you can't just stick your 1tb hdd in, boot up windows and wipe it(reformat)? I have to get a Different 1tb drive? Thanks

Cecil_2099
05-07-2012, 09:07 AM
Why is it neccessary to upgrade to win 7 professional? So once windows is loaded onto the Ssd, you can't just stick your 1tb hdd in, boot up windows and wipe it(reformat)? I have to get a Different 1tb drive? Thanks

I believe the upgrade to Win7 Pro was john_from_ohio's personal decision as was using a different 1TB drive.

john_from_ohio
05-07-2012, 09:17 AM

I just am keeping the original 1 TB drive ( safe / stored away ) as the ultimate fall back. Personal choice as was the upgrade to win 7 pro ...

On a side note I have now tested using windows 7 backup ( maintenance / backup and restore ) to create a system image on an external hard drive.

To be able to restore that system image is complicated on this machine. You need an original win 7 sp1 install disk ( the recovery disk does not work ... dunno exactly seems to have issues with efi/bios ).

Then you need to boot the machine and hit F2 ( bios setup ) and change your boot order to support an UEFI DVDRAM ... and have the current install hard drive 2nd. After win 7 completes recovering the system image ( which will reformat ) then you have to change around the boot order again.

It does work but sorta messy ... I tested this to backup one SSD and restore it onto 2nd SSD ... I never feel comfortable unless I have tested backing up and restoring.

Cecil_2099
05-08-2012, 07:39 PM
john_from_ohio: when you used the 3 system disks burned using ASUS AI Recovery, did it only restore the OS and Drivers to the factory-shipped state on the active partition on the SSD? Or did it also create a recovery partition on your SSD?

john_from_ohio
05-09-2012, 12:49 AM

Yes the recovery DVD's will do it all onto a smaller SSD. I just did this on my G75VW ... planning on submitting a complete writeup soon.

Pull the OLD 1 TB drive out while doing the recovery onto the new SSD ... you end up with both the OS installed and also a new recovery partition on SSD ... it takes it a bunch of times on rebooting after recovery before it gets to the "factory delivered" stage but don't rush it let it do the work ... it comes out ok.

BrodyBoy
05-09-2012, 01:05 AM
... it takes it a bunch of times on rebooting after recovery before it gets to the "factory delivered" stage but don't rush it let it do the work ... it comes out ok.
+1

The biggest mistake people make when doing a factory restore is interrupting the process before it's done. When restoring from the DVDs, assume that it will take at least a couple hours. It's actually quicker on an SSD, but especially as it gets closer to the end, there are many restarts that look as if it may be complete...so owners start responding to all the on-screen activity and pop-ups before the restore is done.

I always tell people that, aside from responding to prompts for the next disk, they shouldn't touch anything until the out-of-the-box first-use wizard has been unchanged on the screen for 10 minutes without any hard disk activity. This ensures that the restore is complete and everything is properly installed.

Cecil_2099
05-09-2012, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the confirmations guys!

_
05-10-2012, 08:45 AM

You pop the ram in at a 45 degree angle so it sits on the pins, then push it down 90 degrees and the metal clips will pop in.

ducqducq
05-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Thanks I got the ram sticks in and my laptop recognizd em. Got the ssd in and put some games on there. My maps for wc3 and Starcraft 2 load in seconds it's great, gonna try to put my OS on there this weekend.

Lone.Lee
05-18-2012, 06:09 AM

Put in new SSD and used recovery disks to re-install OS and Asus utilities software etc into new machine.

John, did you have to change any of the BIOS settings?

BrodyBoy
05-18-2012, 06:40 AM
No....the defaults are already the appropriate settings.

john_from_ohio
05-18-2012, 10:16 AM

At times yes I did ... changing the boot order back and forth a couple of time was it ... ( sorry don't recall exact details here ).

I highly recommend pulling out the old 1 TB drive while recovering onto a different drive.

When recovering a system from a win 7 system image backup ( external drive and win 7 original installation disk ) you also have to be careful about what drives are inside machine and also have to fudge around bios settings for startup disk.

yixingchen
05-25-2012, 05:22 PM
Hey guys, I have pretty much the same situation, except my computer came with 3x4gb ram. Is there anything I need to be aware of other than just ordering a single 4gb ram and putting it in?

john_from_ohio
05-26-2012, 12:24 AM
Jyixingchen ... just do a quick double check that current 12 gb RAM is all 1600 and then get 1 more 1600 4 gb stick ... probably you have already in there 3 hynix ( is that samsung ? ) modules already.

BrodyBoy
05-26-2012, 05:24 PM
The stock RAM on G74s isn't 1600MHz, it's 1333MHz. The computer won't support four 1600MHz modules at that speed.)

When adding RAM, it's always best to try to match the existing RAM as closely as possible, right down to the speed, make, and model (when you can). Even then, there's no guarantee that the mixed modules will play nicely together, so it's a good idea to buy from a retailer that's good with returns/exchanges.

yixingchen
05-27-2012, 02:09 AM
To give you more info, I have a copy of window ultimate I'm planning to install. Since I already have the 3x4gb in there, I'm thinking maybe it's better to take out the extra one on the outside and add 2x8gb. Would that be a problem to have 2x4gb + 2x8gb. I know ideally I should change all 4 to match, but I don't want to mess with the 2 on the inside and void my warranty. While on the subject, does anyone have suggestion of Ram to recommend? Money isn't too much of an issue.

Zygomorphic
05-27-2012, 06:43 PM
Kingston or Corsair are the best, they are the top-tier vendors, and they make a lot of gaming memory products, which tend to have tighter latencies. Don't worry about the mix-and-match, memory is standardized for a reason. Capacity shouldn't make a difference between single- and dual-channel modes, but I am not sure about that. 24 GB of RAM would be sweet. If you are going to upgrade, going beyond the 16 GB mark is the right decision. My bigger question is what are you actually going to use the extra RAM for? If you aren't like @fostert, an SSD might make a more significant upgrade, as even @fostert has admitted.

yixingchen
05-27-2012, 06:52 PM
My bigger question is what are you actually going to use the extra RAM for? If you aren't like @fostert, an SSD might make a more significant upgrade, as even @fostert has admitted.

I would say 50% reason is for gaming, and 50% is for work. I do a lot of heavy statistical analysis running large data bases so that large data base helps. I planning to upgrade to SSD in the future, but they are pretty pricey for the same amount of space. I'm gonna see if I can milk one for my upcoming birthday, haha.

Zygomorphic
05-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Work on those *puppy* eyes and sniffle a little. Good luck in trying :)! For what you do, might 16 GB not be enough? Maybe you should follow @fostert's example and put in 32 GB :cool:.

Guido7142
05-29-2012, 12:48 AM
Is there a way to overclock the memory in the G75 ? I have the 8Gb BestBuy version.

yixingchen
05-29-2012, 02:34 AM
Work on those *puppy* eyes and sniffle a little. Good luck in trying :)! For what you do, might 16 GB not be enough? Maybe you should follow @fostert's example and put in 32 GB :cool:.

Great I will. Another question, is there a problem with 3x4gb + 1x8gb or do all the ram have to be the same size?

_
05-29-2012, 06:01 AM
Is there a way to overclock the memory in the G75 ? I have the 8Gb BestBuy version.

Not really sorry. ASUS don't include it due to the limitations of mobile CPUs and their thermal, voltage and memory controller properties.

YiXing - You should be able to run 2x4GB and 2x8GB, although we can't officially qualify >16GB on the system. If you can check compatibility at a local store first that would be the best bet.

m3rcer
05-30-2012, 10:26 AM
This is has been an informative thread for a new BestBuy G75 owner like me. Thank you all.

I just ordered a Samsung 830 series 128gb SSD that I will throw in as a boot drive. And I think I'll be doing what John(?) is doing and keep the original 5400rpm as a backup. I think I might invest in a 500gb Hybrid-HDD as a storage drive, but I still need to look up reliability factors. Any input on that would be appreciated.

Hrvatfull
05-30-2012, 11:57 AM
One stupid question! :D Since Intel HM77 chipset in G75VW supports dual-channel memory, into which memory slot I insert another 4GB memory module in the configuration with only one 4GB module (like this (http://www.msan.hr/katalog/CatalogDetails.aspx?prodId=180905) one)?
Is it the one next to the first (the hard accessible place, under the keyboard) or one of two easily accessible from the bottom?

john_from_ohio
05-30-2012, 12:43 PM
This is has been an informative thread for a new BestBuy G75 owner like me. Thank you all.

I just ordered a Samsung 830 series 128gb SSD that I will throw in as a boot drive. And I think I'll be doing what John(?) is doing and keep the original 5400rpm as a backup.

Ghost ( which I think comes free now with the Samsungs ? ) may work to clone your os disk but even if it is longer I would start by burning the recovery DVD's and trying that approach. Pull out your original drive when recovering.

I "woulda" bought one of the sammies but the new Intel series is top rated and has 5 year warranty plus I bought my 180 gb 520 for $229 after 50 dollar micro center rebate.

As for what to use for a data drive ... some really nice 1 TB drives coming out now in the marketplace. Samsung has one so do several other manufacturers.

At some point down the road you don't really need any longer the old original install drive kept safely away after one has proven that you can recover your system from any of several possible different "bad events" ... for me usually those drives end up going into a different machine somewhere along the line.

john_from_ohio
05-30-2012, 12:47 PM
One stupid question! :D Since Intel HM77 chipset in G75VW supports dual-channel memory, into which memory slot I insert another 4GB memory module in the configuration with only one 4GB module ?

No it is a smart question ... I dunno exactly but tools like HWINFO will show you with slots are occupied and what speeds the memory is running at and if it is dual channel etc ...

m3rcer
05-30-2012, 02:03 PM
Ghost ( which I think comes free now with the Samsungs ? ) may work to clone your os disk but even if it is longer I would start by burning the recovery DVD's and trying that approach. Pull out your original drive when recovering.

I "woulda" bought one of the sammies but the new Intel series is top rated and has 5 year warranty plus I bought my 180 gb 520 for $229 after 50 dollar micro center rebate.

As for what to use for a data drive ... some really nice 1 TB drives coming out now in the marketplace. Samsung has one so do several other manufacturers.

At some point down the road you don't really need any longer the old original install drive kept safely away after one has proven that you can recover your system from any of several possible different "bad events" ... for me usually those drives end up going into a different machine somewhere along the line.

Yep, I ordered the notebook upgrade kit version of the Samsung 830 128gb ($140 on Amazon) which comes with ghost, a usb to sata dongle, and some ssd refinement software. I'm going to try out Samsung's method. Regardless, I will burn the Win7 recovery discs and back-up onto an external drive just in case. The SSD package won't arrive until tomorrow so I'll do the precautionary steps today.

Oh I know the Intel 520 series is top rated. I also read somewhere that the Samsungs outperform them at higher space capacties. They have a 3 year warranty. I'll take the gamble. Before I got the G75, I had the Samsung Series 7 Chronos, which unfortunately had a dead pixel and returned which is how I ended up with the G75. Tho that Chronos doesn't match the specs of the G75, I marveled at how well it was put together and how user friendly it was. Despite the dead pixel, It's a marvelous machine, so I have a new found respect for Samsung quality - Again, I'll take the gamble. I've read more praise for the 830s than complaints.

I almost went for the 256gb Samsung SSD, but I think 128gb is good enough. I currently use a 60gb Corsair GT SSD as my Win7 drive in my AMD Bulldozer gaming desktop, with a 2Tb drive for storage. That combination works quite well for me. For the G75, which will be for work and play, running everything from Office, to Vegas, to Illustrator, even Reason, I think the 128gb will be good enough in combination with another storage drive.

Of course if I was in your place, I would have taken advantage of the Microcenter offer. I used to live in Santa Clara, and I truly miss that store. They were very friendly and seem far more knowledgeable than all those Fry's Electronics in that area.

Should everything work out with this SSD upgrade and I'm comfortable with everything - In time this loud (not really) 1tb, 5400rpm HDD will probably find it's way into my PS3 replacing the dismal 160gb drive which is almost out of space.

_
06-08-2012, 04:26 AM
No it is a smart question ... I dunno exactly but tools like HWINFO will show you with slots are occupied and what speeds the memory is running at and if it is dual channel etc ...

This is great advise. Thanks John.

m3rcer - I've cloned G series notebook drives to an SSD before with no problem. Used Achronis and just did a mirror, which kept the original disks data so I could put it back later. Swap em out, then Windows just starts up and installs the new driver. Job done.

You can also burn backup DVDs, or to save media make a single image file and throw it on a NAS or external HDD?

Muskoka
06-08-2012, 05:22 AM
Ars Technica recently published a really good/indepth article on installing Windows without the bloatware (ads, junk, etc).

You actually don't need the Windows 7 install discs. They can be downloaded from Microsoft legally, as long as you have a software license key. The article has the link to download the Windows 7 images.

I think following their article/guide would be a great way to install a fresh copy of Windows on your SSD.

http://arstechnica.com/features/2012/06/blowing-away-bloatware-a-guide-to-reinstalling-windows-on-a-new-pc/

Guido7142
06-09-2012, 01:39 AM
Hi everyone, I have a question for you. I have the BBK5 model and in CPUZ i get that my RAM is at 798MHz... Is that right ?

Cecil_2099
06-09-2012, 05:16 AM
Hi everyone, I have a question for you. I have the BBK5 model and in CPUZ i get that my RAM is at 798MHz... Is that right ?

Yes that's accurate. Since the two 4GB sticks that come stock with the BBK5 run in dual-channel mode at 1600mhz, the clock speed of each individual stick is half that, or roughly 800mhz, so combined they are running at 1600mhz.

UnderarmWord239
02-13-2013, 05:17 AM
So I've been given a set of two 2GB RAM cards from my supervisor at work. Very thoughtful of him! Biggest concern:

I went to try and physically seed them into the DIMM slots, and I'm not sure If i'm doing it wrong but I cannot get them to seed properly. I'm using the two slots on the back access pannel. Now It just occurred to me that these 2GB PC3-10600s chips may be the wrong one? the pins look like they line up..:confused:

Zygomorphic
02-13-2013, 11:20 AM
So I've been given a set of two 2GB RAM cards from my supervisor at work. Very thoughtful of him! Biggest concern:

I went to try and physically seed them into the DIMM slots, and I'm not sure If i'm doing it wrong but I cannot get them to seed properly. I'm using the two slots on the back access pannel. Now It just occurred to me that these 2GB PC3-10600s chips may be the wrong one? the pins look like they line up..:confused:

They are DDR3, right? If they are DDR2/DDR, the SODIMMs will not fit. All DDR3 modules are the same size in terms of pin connectors. Maybe you are not inserting them properly. They go in at about a 30 degree angle, then get pushed down flat, so that the little spring metal clips snap into the notches, holding them in place.

deejayce09
08-31-2015, 01:03 AM
can the G75VW support 2x8gb for ram so i could have a total of 24gb of ram??

Fibban
12-30-2016, 01:29 PM
Howdy,

I bought 8gb in a hurry and didn't think it thru. I got normal 8gb installed in propably 2x4gb and have the 2 slots free. Is it possible to add the 8gb only or should I buy another 8gb? Would it even work with them?

Other possibility would be buying 2 new 4gb modules and try to sell the 8gb? 2x4g costs more and selling the 8gb could be bit too much work for the money..

Edition:
Reason for the question was because it didnt worn on either port.

Fixed the issue by inserting the memory with right strategy. Which was that 45 degree angle pushing mentioned earlier or in some other thread.

So for future. 2x4gb and 1x8gb works well. No problem.

Req90
01-12-2017, 05:14 PM
Hey guys!

I'm looking to upgrade from 8GB to 16GB whats the safest ram to use which brand and model? I'm not fussed if its 2x4GB or 1 stick of 8GB i just can't find any information anywhere on which one is the most compatible.

Thank you!

Req90
01-12-2017, 05:16 PM
Hey guys!

I'm looking to upgrade from 8GB to 16GB whats the safest ram to use which brand and model? I'm not fussed if its 2x4GB or 1 stick of 8GB i just can't find any information anywhere on which one is the most compatible.

Thank you!