PDA

View Full Version : Gonna buy G74SX but have a few questions...

antisocialbratt
05-09-2012, 12:01 PM
I'm looking to buy G74sx 3DE for my college later this month. But i have a few questions :

1) Are the issues regarding Keyboard and mouse have been solved? I've seen forums full of people complaining about that.
2) How good is the 3D in gaming and movies?
3) Is the cooling good enough for very long continuous usage? (>10 hours :p)
4) Does the paint on the keys wears off after a few months? I had a razer lycosa with backlit keys but the paint on the keys wore off after just 12 months :(

Before anyone suggest to buy G75 i should let you know that this is the only model available in my country. http://in.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G74SX/
I'm getting this model for $2115. Is that a right price for those specifications?

P.S: Excuse my language cuz I'm not a native English speaker.

PILGRIM
05-09-2012, 03:37 PM
Hi there. Good choice for a G Series notebook (I have the same model).

1) No problem with mine for the keyboard (ATK Package 1.0.0014 version)
and touchpad (Sentelic Touchpad 9.1.7.7).

2) It's great for gaming and movies. Will experience a few drops in FPS while gaming
in 3D mode, but it's still great.

3) The longest I played Skyrim is around 5 hours and it goes a little warm after ( think it's normal).

4) I've had it since October of last year, been using it daily, but the WASD and arrow keys
still looks relatively new.

P.S. Your writing is just fine. I'm not a native English speaker, either.
But I'm not too conscious about it. ;)

fuzon1337
05-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Hi

The keyboard issue I know about on the G74 is the numlock key. Instead of activate the numeric pad it opens up the calculator :P

I find the 3D pretty good on the G73SW :) But I don't have a blu ray drive so I cant watch movies in 3D unless I buy a new optical drive.

I'm love the cooling on the G73 and sometimes when I'm playing it could get a little noise but that I don't care about since it almost quiet all the time. So I will assume that the G74 might have a little better cooling system than G73.

And the paint on the keys are still fine on my keyboard after almost a year of usage :P

Not sure where you live, but the notebook you linked to looks good spec'ed :)

But wont the G75 come to your country since you say the G74 is the only model there?

BrodyBoy
05-09-2012, 05:12 PM
I'm getting this model for $2115. Is that a right price for those specifications?
You didn't say where you are, but that does seem kind of high to me. However, I know that they are just more expensive in some countries.

P.S: Excuse my language cuz I'm not a native English speaker.

P.S. Your writing is just fine. I'm not a native English speaker, either.
But I'm not too conscious about it. ;)

I never would have known, PILGRIM! Your written English is better than most Americans, methinks!

Yours is fine, too, @antisocialbrat. :) And I concur on all PILGRIM's responses about the G74. I would add this: The known issues are probably rare, but when they happen to you, it is a real pain-in-the-butt. So you want to make sure that you buy from a retailer that ensures full warranty coverage in your location.

PILGRIM
05-10-2012, 07:44 AM
...I never would have known, PILGRIM! Your written English is better than most Americans, methinks!...

Thanks, Brody.:D
Have been learning and speaking English (plus 4 minor languages) since primary grades..

antisocialbratt
05-14-2012, 11:36 AM
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'm in India thus G74Sx is a little bit more expensive. I called a local Asus dealer and he told me that G74SX is out of stock at the moment but it will be back in stock within 2 weeks. He told me that price would be 200 to 250$ more than earlier. When i asked the reason then he said that Asus is refreshing the lineup, the new G74SX would have GT580M in it. I'm a bit skeptical about his claim. Cuz i googled and couldn't find any link which corroborates with his claim.
Can any Asus rep here shed some light on this situation?
Cuz i find this highly unlikely that Asus would refresh G74sx first in India before any other country.

P.S: Sorry for being offline for last few days. Opera flinged up big time. I was unable to log in using opera. I thought there is some problem with the account so i tried to reset it and still it didnt work. I even contacted the admin. Gotta say that Richard is a really patient and helpful guy. Kudos to him for all the help. Although he couldn't figure out what was the problem.
Today i just tried in Firefox and it worked. :D

antisocialbratt
05-14-2012, 11:41 AM
I've decided to buy it. Although i have to wait till the end of this month when I'll get the cash from dad ;)
Lets hope local retailer would have it in stock by then.
I plan to do a clean install. I've read a lot of threads on this forum and from what i understand, Broadyboy is the go-to guy for any help in this regard. Gonna flood him with Pm's once i buy it :p

Zygomorphic
05-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Better make a thread, the rest of us would appreciate having access to his advice. Don't be expert hog ;). I had someone contact me about temperatures on the G53's, and we ended up making a thread out of it so that everyone can access the info.

antisocialbratt
05-14-2012, 11:51 AM
I'll definitely make a thread once i manage to set up the system. I know it will probably take one day for me to get everything perfect. Clean install of windows > Installing drivers > Installing useful softwares > Making Recovery Disks > Installing games(I've a big backlog to finish: Alan Wake,Dead space 2, LA Noire, Assassins Creed Brotherhood, Batman Arkham City and a lot more :o)

antisocialbratt
05-14-2012, 12:17 PM
I've updated the Opera and the log in problem is still there. Weird. Can anyone else check if they have the same problem or not?

mrcyco
05-14-2012, 12:22 PM
Ok Keyboard has issues with the A,3 and left on the direction key (wont work if you hit the top half of the key). This sucks for gaming as WASD becomes WSD or as I like to call it "I CANT TURN F****** LEFT" syndrome. Oh and you spend half your time
retyping out emails and card details.

I also get the calculator not the number lock. and the touch pad will kick when if feels like it. (even if disabled)

3D first remove the trial virus protection as its slows down 3D video.

As for 3D gaming I have mixed feeling I brought this because it had 3d and DX11 but really you cant have both. most games other than say portal 2, Fall out 3, bulletstorm and maybe batman AA (some new-ish games I got) you can run at full tilt with 3D on. But its hard to get anything that runs DX11 to run 3d well, its ether one or the other.

I.E Batman AC (with both updates) and just cause 2 (I know its not DX!! but its a high spec game) you got to play with the settings to get them to run smoothly. the 560m just doesn't cut.

but really you don't use the 3d that much. its nice at first but I rarely use it as I prefer higher graphics.

Heating not bad, never felt that hot. FYI the air intakes are under the screen so hard to clean.

One last thing the speakers are not great anyway its supposed to be THX but the worst set I've had on a laptop. This is the second G74sx I've had, the first one left speaker went within 10 days. so the company in NZ replaced it. The new one is missing a rubber foot on the battery.

this is a NZ$3500 laptop and I felt a bit let down, seeing it was one of the most expensive laptop in NZ off the shelf.

antisocialbratt
05-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Thanks for your inputs. Low quality speakers wont bother me as I've sennheiser headphones which i use with my Desktop and they are awesome.

mrcyco
05-14-2012, 12:37 PM
But if your out on the road and your mates/misses want to watch something like fight club/the note book, your all end up craning over the speakers to hear. Cosy for the misses not so cosy for the guys. Just make sure you carry a HDMI.

antisocialbratt
05-14-2012, 12:52 PM
Still looking for any answer for this.

I called a local Asus dealer and he told me that G74SX is out of stock at the moment but it will be back in stock within 2 weeks. He told me that price would be 200 to 250$ more than earlier. When i asked the reason then he said that Asus is refreshing the lineup, the new G74SX would have GT580M in it. I'm a bit skeptical about his claim. Cuz i googled and couldn't find any link which corroborates with his claim.
Can any Asus rep here shed some light on this situation?

BrodyBoy
05-14-2012, 04:07 PM
Still looking for any answer for this.
I think he's just mistaken. Perhaps he's confusing the release of the new G-series with "refreshing the line-up."

PILGRIM
05-14-2012, 04:57 PM
I think he's just mistaken. Perhaps he's confusing the release of the new G-series with "refreshing the line-up."

But even so, I couldn't see any of the new G-series with a GT580M (or GTX580M?) GPU..

It's my first to hear of a G74, or any G-series for that matter, to have this particular GPU variant.
Is it possible?..

antisocialbratt
05-15-2012, 03:44 AM
I dont think any asus ROG laptop has that card. If he was indeed confused by G75 then I'm again a bit worried about the price he told me. He said new lappy would cost around $2400. That price is too low for the G75 3D. Because a G74sx which would cost around $1600 in US was available at $2100. Now the G75SX 3d is priced at $2200 in US. So it should cost arounf $2700.

antisocialbratt
05-15-2012, 03:50 AM
Asus India website shows that the backpack,mouse and headset are free with the laptop. I contacted a ebay retailer here by mail regarding this as he didn't mentioned anything about this on his ebay listing of G74sx. He said that G74sx comes in a sealed box and I'll get whatever asus provides in that. I highly doubt that backpack,mouse and headset could be packed in the same box as the laptop does. I've seen a lot of unboxing videos. Just the 3D glasses were inside the Laptop box. Can anyone shed some light on it?

Boosted_R
05-15-2012, 04:03 AM
If the model your buying suppose to come with the mouse etc, then the seller isn't giving you everything (not all models come with those accessories though, and it wont be in the laptop box). Buying from ebay is your first mistake, try to buy from a proper reseller and avoid future problems, there are sellers in north America that will sell to India

G74 coming with GT580M, that's not going to happen. With the G75 out ASUS wont introduce an outdated GPU that is much slower than the GTX560M that came with the G74 to begin with.

note that the GTX560M 3GB DDR5 is 192 bit and the GTX560M 2GB DDR5 is 128 bit

antisocialbratt
05-15-2012, 04:21 AM
If the model your buying suppose to come with the mouse etc, then the seller isn't giving you everything (not all models come with those accessories though, and it wont be in the laptop box). Buying from ebay is your first mistake, try to buy from a proper reseller and avoid future problems, there are sellers in north America that will sell to India

G74 coming with GT580M, that's not going to happen. With the G75 out ASUS wont introduce an outdated GPU that is much slower than the GTX560M that came with the G74 to begin with.

There are sellers which ship to India but Shipping + custom duty make them more expensive than what you'll get it for in India. Moreover Warranty would be a pain in @. Not many resellers honors warranty in India.
I'll probably wait for the local reseller to have it in stock again later this month and get a offer from him. Otherwise I'll ask the Ebay seller to create a new listing properly mentioning that mouse,headset and Backpack are free with this. That way my purchase would be safe i guess.

Zygomorphic
05-15-2012, 08:48 AM
Actually, the 580M is a lot faster than the 560M. If notebookcheck.net's performance comparisons are to be believed, the GTX580M is almost twice as powerful. Truth be known, the GT580M never existed.

jdrummond
05-15-2012, 10:35 AM

Awesome information, I tried to find the bit rate for this specific model for ages.
Thank you for that.

PILGRIM
05-15-2012, 10:45 AM
There are sellers which ship to India but Shipping + custom duty make them more expensive than what you'll get it for in India. Moreover Warranty would be a pain in @. Not many resellers honors warranty in India.
I'll probably wait for the local reseller to have it in stock again later this month and get a offer from him. Otherwise I'll ask the Ebay seller to create a new listing properly mentioning that mouse,headset and Backpack are free with this. That way my purchase would be safe i guess.

A good idea. But if many resellers don't honor warranty in your place, ASUS Customer Service (India) should.
And you're right about shipping and customs duty being an additional financial burden.
I bought mine from a reseller in the States and have to shell out about $500 more for it.

jdrummond
05-15-2012, 10:58 AM
oh, btw...
I've read somewhere that you can install up to 32GB RAM, instead of 16GB (as described on the specs).

Is that correct? Can I really boost my G74SX above 16GB?

antisocialbratt
05-15-2012, 12:18 PM
Yes you can certainly do that. I don't own one at the moment but have done enough research on forums to know that :p . But unless you are a astronomer who need to process huge data as someone mentioned on NBR, 16 Gb should be more than enough for you.

antisocialbratt
05-15-2012, 12:21 PM
A good idea. But if many resellers don't honor warranty in your place, ASUS Customer Service (India) should.
And you're right about shipping and customs duty being an additional financial burden.
I bought mine from a reseller in the States and have to shell out about $500 more for it.

Local resellers/ Indian online shopping sites do honor the warranty. Its just the reseller outside India who won't honor the international warranty. Even if they do it wont be logical to buy one if you can buy one locally. Cuz if there is some niggle in the system then you gotta ship it all the way back to US, which would burn a $400 hole in your pocket. :(

jdrummond
05-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Yes you can certainly do that. I don't own one at the moment but have done enough research on forums to know that :p . But unless you are a astronomer who need to process huge data as someone mentioned on NBR, 16 Gb should be more than enough for you.

Every now and then I would use 3D applications (as 3DS Max/Maya/Rhino) and a couple Virtual Machines running...
I probably won't need 32GB though. But it's nice to know that I can do that if I want/need :)

antisocialbratt
05-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Well, Yeah no harm doing it if you have couple of spare bucks lying around. Good for showing off to friends and make them jealous :p

antisocialbratt
05-16-2012, 07:23 AM
Called the reseller again today and he said that he's not sure about th specification of the new model. He'll only know after Asus launch it at the end of this month in India. One thing he's sure about is that price would increase from previous G74sx's by around $300. I that is enough to confirm that it is G75Sx not the G74SX with refreshed GPU. Asus wont launch same laptop with a 300 dollar hike in price.

BrodyBoy
05-16-2012, 05:25 PM
Called the reseller again today and he said that he's not sure about th specification of the new model. He'll only know after Asus launch it at the end of this month in India. One thing he's sure about is that price would increase from previous G74sx's by around $300. I that is enough to confirm that it is G75Sx not the G74SX with refreshed GPU. Asus wont launch same laptop with a 300 dollar hike in price.
Any chance this particular salesman just doesn't know what he's talking about? The things he's saying don't make much sense.

New configuration options in existing models don't get "launched"....they just quietly turn up in stores. For example, it was a few months after the G74 was released with a 2.0GHz processor that we started to see ones with a 2.2GHz CPU....no fanfare, no announcement, and as I recall, not much (if any) price increase. There is no "G74" that just has some fixed price.....rather, there are a great many configurations available and they have a wide price range.

It kind of sounds to me like he's either not knowledgeable about the products or he's trying to squeeze you for more money. Are there other retailers in Bangalore that carry Asus? Might be a good idea to check with other sellers.

dstrakele
05-16-2012, 06:03 PM
I can't imagine ASUS offering another G74SX model after releasing the G75's. I think only one thing is certain - that salesman wants to line his pocket with more of your money.

antisocialbratt
05-17-2012, 05:09 AM
I've made my decision. Going to get G74 at the end of this month now.

PILGRIM
05-17-2012, 05:45 AM
I've made my decision. Going to get G74 at the end of this month now.

Not a bad decision. At least for the G74, you'll know what to expect as all of its issues
has been exhaustively dealt with in this forum. Going for a G75 isn't that big of a jump, anyway.

antisocialbratt
05-17-2012, 05:48 AM
Yeah and Price difference is way too much in India. For the same G74 3D and G75 3D models, price difference is around $200 in US. While here that difference is $500 and that too is excluding taxes :(
That made my decision easier.

antisocialbratt
05-17-2012, 08:02 AM
A question for those who bought G74SX 3D version which comes with free backpack and mouse. Did mouse and Backpack came in the same box as the laptop or separate?

PILGRIM
05-17-2012, 08:52 AM
A question for those who bought G74SX 3D version which comes with free backpack and mouse. Did mouse and Backpack came in the same box as the laptop or separate?

Mine came with both in the outer box. The inner box contains the laptop.

EDIT: Oh,.. and the nVidia 3D Vision glasses came with the box, too.

antisocialbratt
05-17-2012, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. Local reseller is just getting the G75 in stock so i have to buy it from the ebay. Lets hope the seller there does pack the Mouse and Bag with the Laptop.
Can't wait for the 30th of this month. Grrrh.. Being a student sucks. :p

antisocialbratt
05-18-2012, 09:57 AM
How is the 3D gaming. How is the Depth perception and pop in the older games. Has anyone with the 3D version of G74sx tried their hand at 3D gaming? Would love to hear some reviews on that.

antisocialbratt
05-19-2012, 08:17 AM
When would Asus learn to price their systems reasonably. I configured a G75VW 3D on xoticpc to the same specs to the one they launched in India.Guess what, Price including shipping+ customs came $200 less than what they are asking in india.

antisocialbratt
05-19-2012, 08:23 AM
I'm jut confused about one thing. In configure option on Xotic PC for G75VW they have a option of :
No spare 3D glasses
1 spare 3D glasses
2 spare 3D glasses
3 spare 3D glasses

If i select first option, does that mean i would get no 3D glass at all or it means i wont get a extra 3D glass?

PILGRIM
05-19-2012, 08:30 AM
How is the 3D gaming. How is the Depth perception and pop in the older games. Has anyone with the 3D version of G74sx tried their hand at 3D gaming? Would love to hear some reviews on that.

As expected, gaming in 3D mode has an FPS drop to about a third or a half- depending on the game,
when compared to 2D mode. Games like Skyrim are playable in 3D mode, though not quite as good as in 2D.
However, I liked playing CoD Black Ops in 3D mode, as it was more intense and engaging.
Can't give FPS samples to the games I mentioned because I don't play them anymore.
I'm currently locked-in NBA 2K12 My Player Mode, but this particular game sucks in 3D.

Over-all, I consider myself just a "softcore" gamer, so there's not much to share.

But the thing I like more is the 3D movies. And with the matte-screen of the G74SX-3DE,
movie-viewing has never been better on a laptop..

antisocialbratt
05-19-2012, 08:32 AM
Thanks for that small review Pilgrim. How is the After Sale support of XoticPC? I'm now looking to purchase it from Xotic PC and ship it to my place in India.

PILGRIM
05-19-2012, 08:43 AM
You're welcome. I've never experienced buying from Xotic PC, so perhaps someone
who had might chime in. I bought mine from GenTech PC (and there's a great guy
in there named Ken Lee), and I must say their service is highly recommended.

antisocialbratt
05-19-2012, 08:58 AM
Does the gentech has any discount coupons :P ?

PILGRIM
05-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Does the gentech has any discount coupons :P ?

Yes, they have a 3% Cash Discount. But last time I checked, they don't have G74SX-3DE in stock.
http://www.gentechpc.com/system_dept.asp?dept_id=SD-001

You may email Ken to check it out at ken@gentechpc.com.

antisocialbratt
05-20-2012, 06:34 AM
Its same as Xoticpc.
I've just one more question. Is it worth investing in a SSD at this time? Does it show significant improvement in gaming and general usage other than faster bootup?

antisocialbratt
05-20-2012, 07:07 AM
I'm thinking about doing a few modifications to the default order. I wont spend anything more than $2100. Thats my limit as I have to spend a further for shipping and custom duty. Thus I'm gonna remove a few things which i can add later.
1) remove the second 750gb HDD and add make the ram 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (2x8GB SODIMMS).
or
2) Remove the Second 750Gb HDD and add the Keyboard mod and Afterburner mod.
or
3) Remove the First 750Gb HDD and add a SSD as primary HDD.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

PILGRIM
05-20-2012, 08:01 AM
Its same as Xoticpc.
I've just one more question. Is it worth investing in a SSD at this time? Does it show significant improvement in gaming and general usage other than faster bootup?

Depends on your current budget. If you have it now, by all means get an SSD with the 80 to 128 GB capacity.
Methinks any of those ranges are sufficient for the OS. Then use the secondary drive for storage.

General usage with an SSD is significantly faster and more stable than with an HDD. Most of the games
I install are on the secondary drive, except for my pet games (they're on the SSD).

I'm thinking about doing a few modifications to the default order. I wont spend anything more than $2100. Thats my limit as I have to spend a further for shipping and custom duty. Thus I'm gonna remove a few things which i can add later.
1) remove the second 750gb HDD and add make the ram 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (2x8GB SODIMMS).
or
2) Remove the Second 750Gb HDD and add the Keyboard mod and Afterburner mod.
or
3) Remove the First 750Gb HDD and add a SSD as primary HDD.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

For a stock G74SX-3DE, the parts worthy of an immediate upgrade are the Wi-Fi card
( the stock Atheros Wi-Fi is glitchy), Disk Drive (HDD to SSD), and more RAM.

Real time performance for a DDR3 1300 MHz compared to a 1600/1866 MHz is,
to borrow fostert's term, "minuscule at best". Meaning it's just a numbers game,
or bragging rights game. Performances for those RAM categories are basically the same.

So if I were you, I'd go for the Wi-Fi and SSD upgrades first.

antisocialbratt
05-20-2012, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the suggestions PILGRIM. This is what i will do now.:
> Replace the Blue Ray Writer with Blue ray reader (I don't think I'll ever burn a Blue Ray Disk)
> Remove the Primary HDD and Replace it with 120Gb Patriot Pyro.
> Add the White Glove Premium Package (Is it necessary for international shipping or normal packaging would be just fine?)
> Change RAM to 16GB 1333mhz.

I have one question though. I'm selecting the SSD as primary, so Xotic would put it there and install the windows on it and make it similar to Asus OEM or they would put an order with Asus and they would send a system with SSD in it already?

PILGRIM
05-20-2012, 12:18 PM
Never heard of that Glove Premium Package.. My PC was sent in a double box packaging via UPS.
Guess you can call that normal packaging?..

I bought the stock G74 (with two 750 GB HDD for each bays). Then I bought the 128 GB Crucial SSD
and other upgrades here in China (cheaper here:)). So, now, I have a spare 750 GB 7200 RPM HDD
of which I swapped with my old laptop's 5400 RPM HDD. Neat..

antisocialbratt
05-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Is that Double Box packing safe enough? I'm gonna have it shipped from US to India. That is pretty much same as getting it shipped to China.(Few miles here and there :p)

antisocialbratt
05-20-2012, 12:27 PM
I decided to skip on the Blue Ray Burner cuz i highly doubt that anyone in my college would even have a blue ray reader. So that rules out using Blue Rays disks for general purpose. So all i could do is make backup of stuff on Blue Rays. I have a 1Tb External HDD and I'll prefer that as my Backup medium. So it is pointless to spend money on Burner. Thus i selected the reader only.

PILGRIM
05-20-2012, 12:32 PM
Yeah, you can say that.. The baby was delivered safe and sound..
Even the outer box was barely dented when I received it.
Only thing is that UPS seems to be more expensive than the others.

PILGRIM
05-20-2012, 12:35 PM
I decided to skip on the Blue Ray Burner cuz i highly doubt that anyone in my college would even have a blue ray reader. So that rules out using Blue Rays disks for general purpose. So all i could do is make backup of stuff on Blue Rays. I have a 1Tb External HDD and I'll prefer that as my Backup medium. So it is pointless to spend money on Burner. Thus i selected the reader only.

But you have to consider a BD-ROM is needed for ROM-based 3D multi-media (movies, etc.).

antisocialbratt
05-20-2012, 12:35 PM
I know. I gonna use a mail forward service. They basically buy the product for you in US and ship it to your address in India. Their shipping cost is half the cost of UPS. Good thing is that they will deal with all the customs when it comes to India. I just have to pay them a full sum and will get it delivered. No hassle with custom department.

antisocialbratt
05-20-2012, 12:36 PM
But you have to consider a BD-ROM is needed for ROM-based 3D multi-media (movies, etc.).
Yeah i know. I'm not skipping on it. I'm gonna replace the BD-Burner by a BD-ROM.

antisocialbratt
05-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Now I'm confused. Local retailer has the G74SX DH73 3D in stock. I'm getting it for 120000 INR and if i import the G75 3D from xotic it will cost me around 140000INR. So are the upgrades worth the increase in price and risking warranty?

PILGRIM
05-22-2012, 03:01 PM
Now I'm confused. Local retailer has the G74SX DH73 3D in stock. I'm getting it for 120000 INR and if i import the G75 3D from xotic it will cost me around 140000INR. So are the upgrades worth the increase in price and risking warranty?

Now, make up your mind.. :)
Two things. Are you going to buy a laptop because of its price?
Or are you going to buy a laptop because it IS what you like?

I'm sure you've done your homework for both G74 3D and G75 3D.
Ultimately, it all ends with your preference.

BrodyBoy
05-22-2012, 05:46 PM
Only you can decide what's worth your money, and what features are especially important to you.

But I would suggest, after having four Asus laptops and frequenting Asus-owners' forums for a couple years now, that having a good warranty is EXTREMELY important with Asus laptop products. Out-of-box defects and early failures are far too common to assume the financial risk of paid repair in the first year or two. In fact, out-of-box defects are common enough that I would only buy an Asus laptop from a retailer with a rock-solid return policy.

antisocialbratt
05-23-2012, 05:37 AM
Thanks Brody. I think that made it clear enough for me. G75 is a killer machine but if i get a defective piece then shipping it back and forth and custom duties would make it really expensive.

antisocialbratt
05-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Buying G74SX from local dealer would be the smart choice. He called me yesterday to inform me that G74 is in stock and i can pick it up whenever i want. I told him that i can only buy in the first week of next month and he agreed to hold on to one piece till then. He seems to be a nice guy, so that would help in future if any problem creeps in. Peace of mind worth more than the performance increase G75 would give.