PDA

View Full Version : win 7 iso file ssd install

440hsp
05-09-2012, 02:48 PM
ok guys. I have my ssd in hand and i just downloaded my windows 7 usb download tool. What i want to do is install my ssd. Then use my c drive as my secondary drive with all my programs on it. Install win 7 on my ssd and then uninstall the win 7 off the secondary drive. Where can i download my win 7 iso file from to use with the download tool? Will i still need to download drivers and update them even though that should still be on my secondary drive or am i confused on what to do?

Myk SilentShadow
05-09-2012, 02:54 PM
Ok, you should just be able to use the tool to put the files onto your USB drive...there should be instructions on how to get it done. When you get it done, shut down your system, unplug it. Open the case then unplug the drive and hook up your new SSD and then proceed to follow the instructions on how to install from your USB drive and you should be right to go from there. When you have Win7 installed on your new drive, shut down and go through the procedure again, but this time just plug in your original drive and make sure you adjust your BIOS to reflect the new SSD as your 1st bootable drive.

That should be all there is to it :)

PILGRIM
05-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Download the Windows 7 Home Premium ISO here: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s
Save all needed drivers and apps on a separate drive (e.g. flash drive or the secondary drive on your G74).

Where exactly is your current OS installed, on the Primary or Secondary Drive?
If it's on the Primary Drive bay, just swap the SSD with it then do a fresh install.
You may also just leave the Secondary Drive as is.

HiVizMan
05-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Use your OS disc. Simply point the USB tool to your OS disc. Press enter and done deal as they say.

440hsp
05-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Thanks guys for your help. Pilgrim, all of my files are on my c drive and i mean everything. all of my other storage is empty. That's why i wanted to just
switch the OS to the ssd and leave everything else on my original hdd and just take out my hdd that's there right now. I don't know how to go into bios and change anything either. I've never been to the bios screen that i can remember so any help would be greatly apprecitiated. HIVizMan my G74 didn't come with a win 7 OS disc. I opened the box up to make sure and all that was there was the asus driver and utility cd and the recovery discs i made the first time i turned it on.

dstrakele
05-09-2012, 03:25 PM
What you wish to do is somewhat problematic, i.e. moving or installing the Windows 7 OS to your SDD and leaving your programs on your HDD. If you install Windows 7 to your SSD, it will know nothing of the programs currently installed on your HDD. The reason for this is all but the simplest programs write information to the Windows 7 registry on installation that references drive locations. So those programs are tied by registry association in their current location to the Windows 7 instance currently installed on your HDD.

It is possible to use partition cloning software to move the Windows 7 OS AND associated programs to your SSD. This will retain the proper registry associations with the installed programs that are also cloned.

I've seen mention of utilities that could then move the cloned programs from the SSD back to the HDD, accounting for the necessary registry changes. However, I've never used one of these utilities and I can imagine the potential for problems.

If I was in your situation, I would probably just clone the HDD partition to the SDD and run both OS and applications from the SDD unless you have storage space constraints.

In a more complicated alternative, you could install a fresh copy of Windows 7 to your SSD, install the necessary device drivers, then install all the programs you use, choosing to install them to your HDD. The program's files will then be written to the HDD, and the registry associations referencing their location will be written to the Windows registry on the SDD.

PILGRIM
05-09-2012, 03:48 PM
dstrakele is right. If you were to do a fresh OS install onto another drive,
you would have to re-install all your other programs to that new OS as well.

This would be a more painstaking way of doing it. But for me, it would insure
a more trouble free computer usage later.

HiVizMan
05-09-2012, 03:56 PM
There is SSD migration software. But not sure you can move from a bigger hard drive to a smaller capacity SSD.

440hsp
05-09-2012, 03:56 PM
i gueess i'll just use the cloning to move everything to the ssd and done deal. out of my c drive partition (279gb) of storage i have 115 gb free so my 256gb should be plenty. i just wanted to take full advantage of the ssd and not slow it down. i was also wondering something Dstrakele. i've never seen partitioning like this on a laptop. I'm coming from HP's. what is the sdata 1 and sdata 2 locations? it says i have 394gb free in d location and 349 gb free in each sdata location. Again i'm sorry if i" m asking dumb questions. Still learning.

dstrakele
05-09-2012, 04:07 PM
The SDATA 1 and SDATA 2 partitions are just how ASUS divided up the space on your HDD's. You can choose to delete their partitioning scheme and divide the HDD up any way you choose. Just remember all data will be lost from any partition you delete, so if they contain important files, be sure to back them up first.

What you may need to do is go into Disk Management to shrink the OS partition down to the size of your SDD before you clone it. However, I believe some partitioning software will handle partition sizing for you during the clone operation as well. If BrodyBoy weighs in on this thread, I'm sure he can give you the poop...

440hsp
05-09-2012, 04:13 PM
Well i hope this software handles the repartitioning because it's cloning as i write this.

PILGRIM
05-09-2012, 04:15 PM
...If BrodyBoy weighs in on this thread, I'm sure he can give you the poop...

I'm sure about the first phrase. But on the second? Get serious! LMAO!!..

dstrakele
05-09-2012, 04:17 PM
Remember the threads I referenced in your "Internet problems" thread? http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?8618-G74SX-XN1-SSD-installation discusses both SSD installation and cloning the OS partition from HDD to SDD using a program called Paragon Migration (discussed on the last page of that thread). It sounded pretty simple.

BrodyBoy
05-09-2012, 04:57 PM
I'm sure about the first phrase. But on the second? Get serious! LMAO!!..
Ha! I feel bad about this. 440hsp asked me for help with this and I wasn't able to get back to him last night.

@440hsp: Sounds like you've already done the installation and transfer, but if you still have any questions I can help with, let me know. Really sorry for not getting back to you before....doing some major re-landscaping around "Brodyboy manor" is making for very long days lately! ;)

440hsp
05-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Brodyboy it's perfectly fine brotha. I completely understand about other duties to do around the house. I'm a husband and a dad with duties to fulfill when i get back in from working offshore. I know how ya feel. I really appreciate all your help guys. Dstrakele i have read so much lately that i forgot about that migration software thread you left me. Sorry. I do appreciate all that you have helped me with including all you other guys on here. The software that came with my ssd is the apricorn software and it's at about 60% right now during the cloning process. Hopefully it will go through without a hiccup.

440hsp
05-09-2012, 05:28 PM
Damn it. Dstrakele i just read the thread again and i should have gotten that software. The downloading has been going on for about an hour i believe now and still isn't done. Hopefully i wont have issues. That process in the thread you sent me seems alot easier.

BrodyBoy
05-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Damn it. Dstrakele i just read the thread again and i should have gotten that software. The downloading has been going on for about an hour i believe now and still isn't done. Hopefully i wont have issues. That process in the thread you sent me seems alot easier.
Sometimes these things can be pretty slow....just be patient and let this method play out. If it succeeds, you'll be all done soon.

dstrakele
05-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Ha! I feel bad about this.... Really sorry for not getting back to you before....doing some major re-landscaping around "Brodyboy manor" is making for very long days lately! ;)

Hey - I've heard if you curse at or threaten someone on this forum you get "a one week vacation". Could come in handy if you need some extra time. I've got a list of people you can threaten if you can't think of anyone offhand...

440hsp
05-09-2012, 08:14 PM
Had to run errands while ssd finished getting cloned. When i get back, i should install ssd,turn back on and hit f2 to get to bios and then do what? Or will it guide me through everything?

dstrakele
05-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Not sure if it'll guide you, but if Windows fails to start, you want to check in the BIOS that your SSD is listed as a boot device.

440hsp
05-09-2012, 08:34 PM
So dstrakele i dont necessarily have to go into my bios? Once the install is complete windows should boot up automatically?

440hsp
05-09-2012, 11:41 PM
Ok. Install is done and windows boots up just fine. But how do i wipe the hdd and repartition the secondary hdd and the ssd because they are split up into 3 partitions each.

dstrakele
05-10-2012, 12:20 AM
You can use Disk Management in Windows to repartition the drives. What do you want on each drive in the way of partitions?

440hsp
05-10-2012, 12:52 AM
dstrakele i would like to wipe the c drive and have both drives c and d with no partitions. here's what it looks like right now. i found disc management but i just dont know what to do when i get there. i'm trying to upload the pic and i cant get it to go through. sorry. what it says is os (c) 115gb free of 279gb.
data (d) 394gb free of 394gb, data (h) 47.4gb free of 47.5gb, os ( I) 18.5gb free of 176gb

i would like to make my ssd m c drive where it boots from and my d drive as storage

dstrakele
05-10-2012, 12:56 AM
Which drive letters are on the SSD?

440hsp
05-10-2012, 01:05 AM
os (i) and data (h)

440hsp
05-10-2012, 02:24 AM
ok it says that it is still booting from my hdd.

BrodyBoy
05-10-2012, 02:38 AM
ok it says that it is still booting from my hdd.
Can you disconnect the HDD to force a boot from the cloned SSD, just to make sure it's working properly? (You don't want to delete the original installation until you're sure that it cloned properly.)

It's very important (when trying to help with this), that we have a clear idea where all these partitions are located on each drive. Posting a screenshot from Disk Management is definitely the best way to ensure that we're all on the same page. Can you do that, or do you need some instruction on posting it?

440hsp
05-10-2012, 03:04 AM
i took my hdd and deleted a partition to increase it's size and now brody this is what my screen in disk management looks like

nvmd. i cant figure out how to print my disk management page here in this reply to show you dang it. any help on doing that brodyboy and i can show you what i'm talking about. in the mean time i'll turn the laptop off and take out the hdd and see if it will boot from the ssd.

BrodyBoy
05-10-2012, 03:17 AM
i took my hdd and deleted a partition to increase it's size and now brody this is what my screen in disk management looks like

nvmd. i cant figure out how to print my disk management page here in this reply to show you dang it. any help on doing that brodyboy and i can show you what i'm talking about. in the mean time i'll turn the laptop off and take out the hdd and see if it will boot from the ssd.
Sure.

When you're in the Disk Management window, press CTRL+ PRT SC to take a screenshot of it.
Open Windows Paint. Press CTRL+V to paste the screenshot into Paint. Save it as a bmp, jpg, or png image file. Close Paint.
Sometimes the Forum allows you to upload an image attachment inline, using the "From computer" option with the "Image" icon....but I find this to be hit or miss. If that doesn't work, you can upload the image to something like Photobucket and then post it using the "From URL" option.

440hsp
05-10-2012, 03:18 AM
Ok brodyboy. That worked perfectly. Deleted the other partition and now my ssd is seen as the bootable drive. Freakin awesome. So now i can put the hdd back in and delete all info on it?

BrodyBoy
05-10-2012, 03:20 AM
Ok brodyboy. That worked perfectly. Deleted the other partition and now my ssd is seen as the bootable drive. Freakin awesome. So now i can put the hdd back in and delete all info on it?
Yup! The easiest & best approach is to actually reformat and repartition it.

440hsp
05-10-2012, 03:45 AM
Never formatted before or made the partitions. May be a dumb question again but do you mean formatting and partitioning instead of deleting or am i misunderstanding you? Why make partitions anyway on the drive? Little more brodyboy knowledge please.

440hsp
05-10-2012, 03:48 AM
Oh one other thing brodyboy. I read somewhere in the many threads i've went through about someone adjusting a setting to dhcs or something like that to make the ssd faster. Do i need to do this in the bios?

BrodyBoy
05-10-2012, 04:02 AM
Never formatted before or made the partitions. May be a dumb question again but do you mean formatting and partitioning instead of deleting or am i misunderstanding you? Why make partitions anyway on the drive? Little more brodyboy knowledge please.
I meant specifically doing a "Quick Format" on your secondary drive, then creating new partitions in the sizes(s) that you want. But if you like the exisiting partitioning, you can also just delete the content on the partitions.

Partitions are just handy for organizing. There's no requirement, by any means. that a disk be partitioned in any certain way. Think of partitions as organizing at a "higher level" than folders. (EX: I have a "Music" partition on my hard drive. All the folders on it are the various artists, and the subfolders are their albums. This keeps the music data separate from my other data. Same for thre "Backups" partition, etc. It's all just personal preference, though.)

Oh one other thing brodyboy. I read somewhere in the many threads i've went through about someone adjusting a setting to dhcs or something like that to make the ssd faster. Do i need to do this in the bios?
That would be AHCI...this is already the default setting in the BIOS, so you shouldn't have to change it. (You do want to turn off Windows' automatic disk de-fragmenter for the SSD.)

440hsp
05-10-2012, 04:17 AM
Ok this is what i did. Dont know if i messed up yet or not but i did a quick format of the d dri e and then deleted the partition. Now where i might have messed up is when i noticed on my hdd with 750gb it was only showing a little under 700 and there was a partition that was made with that leftover space. I deleted it and while i was doing so it told me the partition wasn't made by windows and it might have valuable info on it. I figured it was leftover info from being the primary drive and deleted it anyway. I made a 40gb partition on the d drive and now i still only have 658gb along with the 40gb partition. Still not able to see that 50gb of space that i deleted. Crap! I wonder if i messed up good this time?

BrodyBoy
05-10-2012, 05:45 AM
Ok this is what i did. Dont know if i messed up yet or not but i did a quick format of the d dri e and then deleted the partition. Now where i might have messed up is when i noticed on my hdd with 750gb it was only showing a little under 700 and there was a partition that was made with that leftover space. I deleted it and while i was doing so it told me the partition wasn't made by windows and it might have valuable info on it. I figured it was leftover info from being the primary drive and deleted it anyway. I made a 40gb partition on the d drive and now i still only have 658gb along with the 40gb partition. Still not able to see that 50gb of space that i deleted. Crap! I wonder if i messed up good this time?
That's not unheard of, actually. On any disk, there's a certain percentage of the space that is unavailable, as it's reserved for Windows internal housekeeping. Usually, though, a little gets trimmed of with each partition, so one big partition should use more of a disk than if you have three partitions on it, for example.

When you completely delete all partitions on the HDD, how much space does it show available....both on left by the disk icon and as unallocated space in the graphical depiction?

440hsp
05-10-2012, 06:26 AM
brody it shows 238gb for my ssd on disc 0 and it shows 698gb for the hdd on disc one. but i have run into a couple of issues. first and foremost it is taking me about a minute and a half to get into the desktop screen with the ssd now.WTH???? and it says now that i only have around 65gb usable space on my ssd. something isn't right because before i did the ssd swap it said i had 115gb free out of 279gb on my c drive and that was the only partition being used. i'm confused as always. lolol

440hsp
05-10-2012, 07:01 AM
Hey brodyboy what can i move over to the d drive to try and speed up the ssd or what can i do to see why its booting so slow. Also can i move all program files over to the d drive and everything work fine?