PDA

View Full Version : Gah cursed what the frug is this :S

lilysintrigue
05-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Right so just got my laptop back G73 on its 3rd RMA, they replaced the mainboard the gpu and the hdd.. Updated everything, no errors = Happy me.. Wrongggg

Thought I'd celebrate, installed Crysis 2 lots of screen tearing just in the opening credits, thought nothing of it whacked it down to high which I know it can handle having played it previous on this machine.. Still tearing full lines across the screen, so I turned it down to medium.. still lots of lines at this point I know something isnt right.. So I get out of the game.. before I can even get back to my desktop I get this lovely blue screen

http://i45.tinypic.com/15mlgf9.jpg

Is it just me or does this sound like something wasn't done right when they put my laptops guts back in ? lol figuratively speaking :P

I've already sent Mason an pm, seeing as how he said if I have any further issues I could send my laptop to him for it's 4th RMA , only had it a day again :( Anyway I know he will get it fixed this time..

Any help would be great !

dstrakele
05-09-2012, 11:58 PM
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-system/i-get-a-stop-0x00000124-blue-screen-error-randomly/e0d2b236-57c1-4f67-8fa3-09c199862266 indicates your STOP 0X124 BSOD most likely results from the video driver or a hardware error.

What version video driver are you currently running?

lilysintrigue
05-10-2012, 12:04 AM
Just updated it to 291 got it back from rma with a new mainboard, they had the driver at factory 266, updated the driver along with all other updates today.. Was getting alot of screen tearing and flickering before I got this error... Either way I think I'm going to send it back in for Mason to look at it this time, or his techs... 4th RMA of fun wee here we go lol

Any suggestions as it says its a uncorrectable hardware error?

dstrakele
05-10-2012, 12:10 AM
I'd try a clean install of 295.73 or 285.62 first.

fuzon1337
05-10-2012, 12:19 AM
I would go with the suggestions to @dstrakele and see if a GPU downgrade fixes your issue.

With the 291 driver you installed, did you install the driver from nVidia or Asus support?

You could download WhoCrashed 3.04 from this site:
http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

And see if that program can provide any more information about the BSOD. Easy to use, click on "analyze" and done :)

lilysintrigue
05-10-2012, 12:20 AM
I'm really tired of installing and uninstalling graphic drivers on this machine, thats why I sent it in in the first place. Because I was getting kernel error's Nvidia (insert any graphics card number in here I've rolled back, forward, beta every driver known to man ) has stopped responding adn recovered successfully.. And now I get this, I don't know what is wrong with this machine.. Before they replaced the graphics card/mainboard I was never getting tearing on anything like I did today.. only the kernel error's when I was on the desk top or surfing the web.. This is the first time I've ever had anything happen like this.. with my machine.. I am going to try and reboot the machine and see how it acts.. Then uninstall and reinstall driver 285.62 But regardless I think just to be safe since its only been again 6 hours into having the machine back I'm going to send it in again .. :((

I downloaded my nvidia driver from their website.. not asus Just rebooted my machine, hung on black screen for like 3 mins before it booted up the safe mode screen.

Started windows blue win 7 screen came up and then went away hung on a black screen for another 2 mins, going from black to grey then back to black..

Windows finally booted up, but kept getting white horizontal blocks in the left corner...

fuzon1337
05-10-2012, 12:32 AM
That doesn't sound good at all.
I am no expert when it comes to this, but for me it sound like the GPU is almost dead.

How old is your notebook?

lilysintrigue
05-10-2012, 12:36 AM
They just replaced the gpu and the mainboard and the hdd this last rma my 3rd, I just got it back today Weeps lol its less that a year old, turns a year in June on my birthday when I brought it :( This has been going on since January of this year.. Bizcom has had my laptop a whole month I've only had it in hours about a day this last month.. Going back again but this time Mason said he would set up the RMA gah the machine is cursed lol

Here is the info from the bsod.

Crash Dump Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Wed 5/9/2012 11:20:55 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\050912-64896-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x12A3B)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA80094FC028, 0xF2000000, 0x100402)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 5/9/2012 11:20:55 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal!HalBugCheckSystem+0x1E3)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA80094FC028, 0xF2000000, 0x100402)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion

2 crash dumps have been found and analyzed.
Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

fuzon1337
05-10-2012, 12:45 AM
I googled on "hal.dll (hal+0x12A3B)" as the look of the information that I'm reading on it could be the processor.... I'll look more into it, but it's getting late here in Norway almost 03.00 am :P

EDIT: Okey, no I'm back to the start agian, it can be many reasons why you got that BSOD.

What you should try is to uninstall any Antivirus/spyware programs that you have, update the atheros wifi card.

And try to test the hardware so we can see if we can source the issue :)

http://www.pchelpforum.com/xf/threads/bluescreen-error-0x00000124.97389/page-2 go to post #21 and download those programs to check your hardware.

If you don't want to do this, then you'll have to send it in for a 4. RMA :(

lilysintrigue
05-10-2012, 12:50 AM
Don't say that gah really the cpu what else can they replace in this machine.. they have already done everything except for that, unlesss thats on the mainboard? I think this is just a defective laptop honestly... Thanks, for your help happy slumber :)

fuzon1337
05-10-2012, 01:15 AM
What I don't understand is why you should still get issues after almost a new notebook after the third RMA.

I don't know how the policy is over there at your country but after 3 RMA's and still getting issues, here in Norway we can get a refound for the product either that or get a new unit since it's still under warranty.

So if you have the possibility to change the notebook for a new unit then I think that would be the best.

If also Mason fails at reparing the notebook, then I would..... yeah I don't know :P

lilysintrigue
05-10-2012, 02:02 AM
Well I don't know what is going to happen know, I have to call Customer Care tomorrow, Mason sent over all of my RMA details, and the current issues I am having. So off it goes again, unfortunately now its freezing on and off every 5-10 mins, and getting black screens and flickering and such at start up.. I am so frustrated, I just want a working laptop, didn't think that it would take this long to fix or that it would come back with more issues than it had before. :( I keep getting the bsod I've had 3 of them now, the last was after a f9 factory install per Mason, and was able to duplicate the issue so I don't think its software related...

lilysintrigue
05-10-2012, 12:32 PM
So I'm going to call customer service today about my laptop, I did a full factory reinstall per Mason's advice, did not update the drivers. I installed Crysis and it did not give me the bsod error again, but I went to install another game and as soon as I got halfway through installing the Witcher 2 I got the blue screen of death, same error codes related to Hal.dll... don't know what this could be.. I didn't even get to install the whole game.. I ran who crashed, and left both of the reports on my desktop in a word file for the tech's to look at.. I don't think this is a software issue... I don't know what this could be.. Just frustrating, I'm sure this will be sorted out this time, may take a little longer seeing as how they have limited tech's at the HQ location, but nevertheless I have faith in Mason, and I'm sure this will be resolved this time.. :)

fuzon1337
05-10-2012, 12:43 PM
I will agree with you about that this can not be software related now since you did a factory reinstall..... if you want that confirmed then you should do a clean install of Win7 since then you wont get any asus bloatware installed, or other drivers installed except for windows plug'n'play drivers so the hardware will work properly.

I really hope that you get this issue fixed by this new RMA, and if not you could get a new unit so the issue wont persist anymore.

dstrakele
05-10-2012, 12:48 PM
I agree that you've done enough troubleshooting to indicate a hardware fault is likely. Unfortunately, new hardware may also be defective. I hope this is your last RMA.

lilysintrigue
05-10-2012, 12:49 PM
At this point I don't know what to say, I mean I've gotten a new mainboard, a new hdd (twice) , it's been in RMA status over a month now, and everytime I get it back I get either the same problem, or a new one in this case... In this last month alone everytime I get it back I have had it for less than a day before it messes up, so I have had it for 3 days out of the month of April.. All I know is my work is suffering because of this, I thought it would be fixed this time so I turned in my work provided loner laptop (which took me two weeks to get last time) because I thought the issue would be fixed this time.. At this point there is really nothing else they can replace, they've replaced it all lol I just want a working laptop, maybe I got a bad one happens I don't know I will keep you guys updated on what happens, and thank you all for your help!

dstrakele
05-10-2012, 01:02 PM
That's one thing about new electronic components - they will most likely fail (if they are defective) in the first 48 hours of use. So keep the laptop busy (as you did), stress it with games and stress tests, don't turn it off (except to test startups immediately afterwards).

If the laptop is to fail, it's better for it to happen sooner, rather than later.

lilysintrigue
05-10-2012, 01:09 PM
Yeah I know that's why when I got it this time as I did last time I left it on updated everything, and then proceeded to go about using it normally, installing the software I needed for work ms office AutoCad and vectorworks, and a game .. I'm upset about this, but not too upset I know these things happen, and I know that Asus stands behind the integrity of their products, so I have faith that this will be resolved soon :)

lilysintrigue
05-10-2012, 03:19 PM
So just spoke with customer care spoke to Aaron L , he said he would send me the rma information, and work on my case. If they replicate the problem they are going to put in for a replacement laptop for me.. My question is what is the quality of the refurbished units that Asus sends out... I've never had a refurbished unit, and I'm a bit weary eee

dstrakele
05-10-2012, 05:00 PM
I just thought of one thing... In another thread, a user reported system lockups on his laptop. He was unable to run CHKDSK on his file system, the procedure couldn't complete. Though it looked like the problem may be his hard drive, he noticed errors in his System Event Log referencing the Atheros WiFi card. Once he physically removed the WiFi card from the laptop, his lockups ceased.

You might also check your System Event Log for Errors and Warnings that may point to a specific hardware component that may have been overlooked when diagnosing the ailments on your system.

lilysintrigue
05-10-2012, 05:11 PM
in the last day alone I've had 48 count them 48 kernel power critical errors, and a bunch of other critical error's can't remember them right now they begin with a cp or casi something or another.. and some that begin with an Iasi or something.. .. Not at home right now so trying to remember off the top of my head.. I've gotten some errors for Wlan like 4 critical errors all of these I've received in the last 24 hours.. Gah This is annnnnnnnnnnnnnnoying lol

dstrakele
05-10-2012, 05:15 PM
The kernel-power eventid 41 errors just mean an abnormal shutdown. I'd be looking for errors that specifically reference a hardware component in the Details, since you were getting the STOP 0x124.

lilysintrigue
05-10-2012, 05:21 PM
That's the thing the only errors around the time of the bsod are those error's and Wlan error's and it's just a sea of red critical error's on my event log,, and a bunch of warning's , nothing good in there..

This is the copy of one of them that I sent to mason..

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 124
BCP1: 0000000000000000
BCP2: FFFFFA80094FC028
BCP3: 00000000F2000000
BCP4: 0000000000100402
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

dstrakele
05-10-2012, 05:24 PM
That is the event that records the bluescreen on your laptop. You will note the Bug Check Code (124) and the 4 parameters match that of the picture you posted.

What WLAN errors are being recorded?

lilysintrigue
05-10-2012, 05:30 PM
Yeah well I don't remember anything right off hand either way the f9 factory os install produced the same error's and bsod so something's fishy.. Hopefully between Mason and Aaron L this is going to be sorted, and I no pun intended won't be seeing red anymore lol Going to ship it back to Fremont CA tonight! Wish me luck :)

dstrakele
05-10-2012, 05:37 PM
You report WLAN errors. It would be interesting if your laptop's problems were due to a faulty WLAN card that has been overlooked through 3 RMA's.

lilysintrigue
05-10-2012, 05:38 PM
If it were I would laugh lol

lilysintrigue
05-10-2012, 06:33 PM
Tada a list of all the critical errors:

Around the time of the crash bsod

Wmpnss
WER
IASTOR 9
Service Control Manager
Videa Ace Windows Service
Seaport Service
Atkgfnex
WLAN AUTOCONFIG

All of these had critical error's at the same time the bsod happened,

Got 15 Wlan critical errors in the space of 15 mins

Might be the wlan who knows, any suggestions guys?

dstrakele
05-10-2012, 06:56 PM
What are the text Details of the 15 WLAN errors?

lilysintrigue
05-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Warning 5/4/2012 2:09:33 AM Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfig 4001 None "WLAN AutoConfig service has successfully stopped.
"
Warning 5/10/2012 12:40:21 PM Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power 37 (7) The speed of processor 1 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.
Warning 5/10/2012 12:40:21 PM Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power 37 (7) The speed of processor 7 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.
Warning 5/10/2012 12:40:21 PM Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power 37 (7) The speed of processor 4 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.
Warning 5/9/2012 8:01:55 PM Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power 37 (7) The speed of processor 6 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.
Warning 5/9/2012 8:01:55 PM Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power 37 (7) The speed of processor 1 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.
Warning 5/9/2012 1:19:41 AM Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power 37 (7) The speed of processor 5 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.
Warning 5/9/2012 1:19:41 AM Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power 37 (7) The speed of processor 2 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.
Warning 5/9/2012 2:33:51 PM Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfig 4001 None "WLAN AutoConfig service has successfully stopped.
"
Warning 5/9/2012 8:01:55 PM Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power 37 (7) The speed of processor 0 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.
Warning 5/9/2012 1:19:41 AM Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power 37 (7) The speed of processor 4 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.
Warning 5/9/2012 1:19:41 AM Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power 37 (7) The speed of processor 0 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.
Warning 5/10/2012 12:40:21 PM Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power 37 (7) The speed of processor 0 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.

there have been 3 critical errors, 53 errors and 69 warnings within 24 hours

dstrakele
05-10-2012, 07:12 PM
I don't see anything telling from a hardware failure point of view.

What model G73 do you own? Have you seen this thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?8943-G73-Freezing-Crashing-Issue-WORKAROUND-FOUND ?

It discusses G73JH and JW systems freezing and getting BSOD's when the CPU drops down into a lower power mode C-State and how ThrottleStop provides a workaround. The Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power Warnings reminded me of this thread.

The only problem is the issue typically occurs when the laptop is doing little, not when it is loaded playing games.

lilysintrigue
05-10-2012, 07:16 PM
yeah well when these bsod happened I had just gotten out of the game. And the second happened while i was installing a game..

I own the G73sw-bst6 model