PDA

View Full Version : gaming Laptop

Broth32
05-10-2012, 01:41 AM
Which Asus laptop do you guys suggest I get if I'm looking for a gaming laptop with blu-ray? I was looking at the Republic of Gamers G74SX-AH71 but can't really tell if it comes with blu-ray.

Thanks in advance....

57degrees
05-10-2012, 01:51 PM
Be careful that the games you want to run don't need Num Lock. The G74 series doesn't have a Num Lock key. (For example, WoW uses Num Lock as the default Run button).

You are probably better off passing on the G74 and buying a G75.

chrsplmr
05-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Agreed ... G55 or G75 .. especially with the pricing so close.

Peregrine
05-10-2012, 02:38 PM
WoW? Is that the game that requires NUMLOCK that has everyone so annoyed? Why would NUMLOCK be the default run key? DOn't you use WASD for movement? So wouldn't a key... o i dunno... on the LEFT side be better for that??? Seems odd to me.

OP get the G55.

PILGRIM
05-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Which Asus laptop do you guys suggest I get if I'm looking for a gaming laptop with blu-ray? I was looking at the Republic of Gamers G74SX-AH71 but can't really tell if it comes with blu-ray.

Thanks in advance....

The G74 and all its variants are already "old". :p Just read the brand new title of this forum.
Nevertheless, being old doesn't necessarily mean it already can't kick arse anymore.
The G74 is still one of the best bang for the buck, as they say..

So, go ahead.. And be sure to check the specs if it has the BD-ROM drive if you
purchase one from your favored retailer.

Conversely, you still won't be at the losing end, if you decide to buy the newer G75.

Broth32
05-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the reply guys. After a little more research I realized there isn't much price difference for the G75 series. So now my question (I posted this in another thread) - what is the big difference between G75VW-BBK5 (Best Buy's version) vs ASUS G75VW-AS71 vs ASUS G75VW-DS71?

Zygomorphic
05-11-2012, 08:10 AM
The Best Buy one probably has a lower-res screen, or something else reduced--typical of their computer models. Between the AS71 and the DS71, I cannot tell you, other than the "A" model probably has the mouse and backpack as well as the computer.