PDA

View Full Version : G75VW-BBK5 out of the box question

Broth32
05-11-2012, 01:26 AM
SO I went with the G75VW-BBK5 from Best Buy. I installed Skyrim and set the graphics to high (not ultra) and my FPS were very erratic. It would jump to 40's and down to single digits. Very choppy... Is there any updates I need to do out of the box for good performance? I looked at the NVIDIA's site but I don't see any updated drivers for this graphic card. ANy thoughts?

matt6815
05-11-2012, 02:12 AM
Hi,

I actually just purchased the g75vw-ts72 from tigerdirect and i had the same problem you are my 670m when i would play WoW would start at 40 fps on ultra settling then randomly they would drop to 5 fps then back up again. I noticed the problem was the Mhz would be at 620 then drop down to 60mhz randomly every 10-20 secs then go back up. I just sent mine back to tigerdirect because of a hard driver problem also. But does your screen seem to flicker when this happens? Also try switching to entertainment mode when i did that it stopped lagging bad.

Holy
05-11-2012, 04:24 AM
lol my 660m does the something but when something happens i the background. except i noticed it droping from 905mhz to 400mhz in fur mark.

Broth32
05-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the replies. I tired restart and put it on Entertainment mode and no change. Looks like this laptop is going directly back to Best Buy. What a shame - I researched a decent amount looking for a gaming laptop in my price range but this is just not acceptable. Oh well....

Daylife
05-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the replies. I tired restart and put it on Entertainment mode and no change. Looks like this laptop is going directly back to Best Buy. What a shame - I researched a decent amount looking for a gaming laptop in my price range but this is just not acceptable. Oh well....

Hmmm.... There shouldnt be an update out for the GPU set but if you are checking for updates dont do it through the Nvidia site, use the Asus update thingy lol.

You probably have a fauly GPU? I play wow on full settings at 80+ frames, and i have reached 250FPS outside of the mane city.

Holy
05-11-2012, 04:18 PM
Wow works just fine for me also.

Broth32
05-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Okay - this sucks. I d/l BF 3 and set the graphics to medium. Some parts I'm putting up high 40's FPS and then at times it drops to single digits. I guess I'm taking this back to Best Buy and trying another one. I really hope it's a faulty GPU because this is just crazy!

BrandeX
05-12-2012, 09:30 AM
Perhaps it's a problem with your pirated software?

Broth32
05-12-2012, 11:19 PM
Well, maybe this Laptop isn't all what is expected. Went to Best Buy to exchange laptops. Got a new G75vw-BBK% and d/l Skyrim. Put the laptop on high performance and still the same inconsistent FPS and choppiness. Looks like I'll just be returning this system and moving on. I expect more from a gaming laptop that cost me $1300....

Broth32
05-13-2012, 12:19 AM
LOL - 60 FPS on low setting playing Skyrim. I go into a city for the first time and the FPS drops into single digits - what a joke.

FearlessG1
05-13-2012, 02:51 AM
make sure you have the latest drivers from the asus site. I am running the latest drivers and play dota 2 beta, CS:GO and SWTOR all on max settings without any issues at all.

Broth32
05-13-2012, 03:51 PM
Which drivers are you referring to? I went to Asus's site but didn't see any area for driver update...

Thanks in advance for any help!I really want this laptop to work

Broth32
05-13-2012, 04:14 PM
I think I found the drivers - is this the link?
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G75VW&p=3&s=388&os=30&hashedid=gkyI9iViQxXxueTd

Do I d/l all the them?I just d/l the latest version of the Nvidia Graphics Driver and still no luck. Went on to Rift - set the settings to default high and still getting very inconsistent FPS. This is after confirming that the laptop is on the high performance setting.

Broth32
05-13-2012, 10:58 PM
Good news bad news.

Gods news: After I d/l all drivers n Asus's website I was able to get consistent FPS for a couple hours.

Bad News: After about two hours of playing I'm back to getting FPS from single digits to 40 - again!!! Argggg!!!

I can't believe that I have got 2 of the G75's from Best Buy that has gotten inconsistent FPS and no one else has.

xiphantomzv2
08-20-2012, 03:52 AM
Well, maybe this Laptop isn't all what is expected. Went to Best Buy to exchange laptops. Got a new G75vw-BBK% and d/l Skyrim. Put the laptop on high performance and still the same inconsistent FPS and choppiness. Looks like I'll just be returning this system and moving on. I expect more from a gaming laptop that cost me $1300....

I have the same computer from Best Buy and I can play Skyrim on Ultra settings with an HD texture mod with consistent 40 - 60FPS, do you have your computer plugged in when your playing because the gpu and cpu is throttled when on battery. If thats not the problem than i would say take it back again....

TSC-Ops
08-20-2012, 05:01 AM
wipe the hard drive, clean install and use nvidia betas.

havent noticed any stuttering of games unless I try and run them on battery ,

Spackle
08-20-2012, 06:09 AM
I had a similar experience with the GPU frequency throttling but interestingly only when my G75VW was on battery power and the battery level drops below about 80%. I wonder if there's a power management issue here but I must admit, I didn't dig too hard to find a solution, I just run the notebook off the power adaptor.

c_man
08-20-2012, 08:19 AM
Systems are not designed to give full performance on battery.

BrandeX
08-22-2012, 03:01 AM
Yea this thread is old, but he was probably playing on battery and had Macfee installed.

Woots
08-22-2012, 03:41 AM
I think running off battery power while playing games, addresses 90% of new users concerns about poor game performance.

Usually what people do within 1st 24 hours of buying their laptop is play it unplugged at some point. For anyone not 100% windows/laptop savvy they may not realize what is occurring.

To all the helpful people here who are regulars....In future, if new comers visit here saying they get poor game performance always make sure they have their laptop plugged in 1st before you continue to help them root out possible other problems. It may save both parties a lot of time. :)

Linkavich
08-22-2012, 07:18 AM
Heh, I thought having to repaste my G73jh was bad. At least when I repasted it my overheating stopped, and I can still play Rift on Ultra running 20-30fps depending on if there is 10000000 people in town or not. I would have hoped Asus fixed their faulty gaming laptops after the G73jh thermal paste flop.

After reading these forums I have come to the strict conclusion, instead of looking for the cheaper alternative maybe we all should have just bought alienwares =/

Don't get me wrong tho I love my baby, and still use it many hours a day. It still impresses the hell out of me whenever I hook it up to the big 1080 LED tv, and idk if I have ever had a gfx card last me 2 years in a desktop. However it is NOT up to the consumer to work out a systems kinks. If it were, then we would be getting paid the big bucks.

Bundy_Drop_Bear
08-22-2012, 07:36 AM
The First thing i did when I got my laptop, after pulling it out of the box and inserting the battery was plug the power supply in, it's a given a you never know how long a product has been sitting at warehouse/store room of the shop you bought it from, so the battery is bound to have enough charge to boot and get you in but after that it will most likely pop up and say "Low Battery".

c_man
08-22-2012, 10:23 AM
Alienware are not perfect either.