PDA

View Full Version : Asus Maximus IV Extreme B3 and sound card

ReliantPilot
05-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Is there a sound card which will function in slot 3 (PCIE_X16_2)? My Sound Blaster X-Fi fits there but isnt recognized. It does function well in slot 6 (PCIEX4_1) as does my Asus PCE-N13 wireless card, and, the wireless card also doesnt work in slot 3. Asus tech advised swapping around my 2 EVGA GTX 560Tis (SLI) but that didnt work. A single 560Ti worked in slot 3, so I know that slot 3 is not dead. Supposedly any PCIE sound card can work in a 16 slot, I thought. But, mine doesnt. I want to disable on-board sound so that more processing power is used for FSX. Yes, I can fly with on-board RealTek sound, but I would rather not. Does anyone have a functioning sound card in slot 3? Thanks for any help.

HiVizMan
05-11-2012, 07:40 PM
Hello ReliantPilot

Could you list all the items that you want to use in the PCIe PCi lanes please.

ReliantPilot
05-11-2012, 08:35 PM
I have 2 EVGA GTX560Ti's in slots 1 and 4, in SLI, thereby covering slots 2 and 5. That leaves only slots 3 and 6. My Sound Blaster X-Fi card and my Asus PCE-N13 wireless card both work in slot 6 but neither works in slot 3. But, a single EVGA GTX560Ti works in slot 3. I just want to know if there exists a sound card which would work in slot 3. Thank you for your question. I just cant understand why Asus Tech couldnt answer this question. If there is no sound card that works in slot 3, I accept that, just tell me. Then I will use on-board sound. Otherwise, I think the Maximus IV Extreme is a wonderful motherboard and I have easily OCed to 4.429 GHz using Autotuning. My Corsair Hydro 100 and 4 fans around the radiator are keeping the processor cool, always below 60 degrees Centigrade using Coretemp and Prime95. I use 3 SSDs and 16 GBs Corsair Vengeance memory in my CoolerMaster Cosmos II with a CoolerMaster 1200W Silent Pro Gold power supply. I also have 5 additional fans spread around. FSX looks amazing on my 39 inch monitor at 1920x1080. It actually thrills me. I love everything about being a pilot except for actually going up in the air, so flight simulation is the perfect answer. I used to fly radio control airplanes but I wasnt too good at that either. I got tired of fixing broken aircraft. Again, thank you for any help.

ReliantPilot
05-12-2012, 07:08 PM
Problem solved. I installed a USB D-Link DWA-130 wireless adapter, installed the Sound Blaster card in slot 6, and abandoned slot 3 for which I have no use and in which no sound card can apparently function. Slot 3 remains a mystery to me, I know not what works there. Prior to yesterday, I never knew there was such a thing as a USB wireless adapter, I thought they all were PCI or PCIE. Being a newbie is bothersome and tiresome. Some help would have been appreciated.