PDA

View Full Version : Intel 330 120GB/180GB or Corsair Force GT 120GB/240GB for ASUS G74sx-A1?

Neerooh
05-12-2012, 07:38 AM
Hi Guys,

I dont know if I posted this question in right forum. But I want to upgrade my primary disk into a SSD. My choices are Intel 330 120GB/180GB and Corsair Force GT 120GB, since these are the best availabe SSD in my location.

Here are the list of available SSD in my location for now:

Intel 330 120GB
Intel 330 180GB
Corsair Force 3 120GB
Corsair Force 3 240GB
Corsair Force GT 120GB
Corsair Force GT 240GB

Hope you can help me to decide. Thanks

Zygomorphic
05-14-2012, 01:09 AM
Intels are, from what I understand, the best and most reliable SSD's available today. Corsair are a little faster with their Sandforce controllers, but more people report having compatibility issues with them. If you are tech-savvy and willing to update drive firmware, I would recommend the Corsair for their better performance. Otherwise, I would say stick with the Intel SSD. As to capacity, I would say chose for yourself. It all depends on how much you want/need to store on the system drive. If price is no object, definitely get the 240 GB, the extra space cannot hurt, and just might help down the road. We all know how our data grows to fill all available space...:cool: Whatever you get, make sure to move the pagefile to the other drive, that alone will prolong the lifespan of the drive.

While you are at it, upgrade the RAM to 16+ GB and you can safely disable the Windows pagefile completely. The RAM will help performance as well. That 10% RAM utilization at idle is pretty sweet :)

Boosted_R
05-14-2012, 09:07 PM
It comes down to preference, I would go with intel 330 180GB since its a bit faster than the 120GB version. If you want reliability Intel is the way to go.

Both intel 330 and 520 series are sandforce equipped, making them SATA 3 speeds, and super fast... 520 equivalent to the 330 is a bit faster BTW.

In racing there is always a saying- Fast, Reliable, Cheap.....pick 2..... definitely applies to SSD's

Neerooh
05-17-2012, 08:11 AM
Intels are, from what I understand, the best and most reliable SSD's available today. Corsair are a little faster with their Sandforce controllers, but more people report having compatibility issues with them. If you are tech-savvy and willing to update drive firmware, I would recommend the Corsair for their better performance. Otherwise, I would say stick with the Intel SSD. As to capacity, I would say chose for yourself. It all depends on how much you want/need to store on the system drive. If price is no object, definitely get the 240 GB, the extra space cannot hurt, and just might help down the road. We all know how our data grows to fill all available space...:cool: Whatever you get, make sure to move the pagefile to the other drive, that alone will prolong the lifespan of the drive.

While you are at it, upgrade the RAM to 16+ GB and you can safely disable the Windows pagefile completely. The RAM will help performance as well. That 10% RAM utilization at idle is pretty sweet :)

Thanks Zygomorphic. I already get the 180gb Intel 330, although it is not as fast as the 520 or corsair GT, it is definitely fast enough for its price compared to the other 2. I am worried that I would suffer the same problem other people do with Corsair so i stick with Intel.

About the pagefile you are saying, how can I move it to the other drive? and what is a pagefile :confused: I have a little knowledge about computers.

My computer come to me with 14gb of (stock) Ram. Do you think it is better to chage all the RAM with a branded RAM of 16GB? Which brand do you prefer and what are the benefits if I upgrade my RAM to a branded one?

Thanks. :)

Neerooh
05-17-2012, 08:20 AM
It comes down to preference, I would go with intel 330 180GB since its a bit faster than the 120GB version. If you want reliability Intel is the way to go.

Both intel 330 and 520 series are sandforce equipped, making them SATA 3 speeds, and super fast... 520 equivalent to the 330 is a bit faster BTW.

In racing there is always a saying- Fast, Reliable, Cheap.....pick 2..... definitely applies to SSD's

Thanks Boosted_R! I already got the 180gb Intel 330. And it is fast enough to start my windows and games such as Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3:)

Thanks for the advice.:)