PDA

View Full Version : Ivy Bridge iGPU + Discrete Question

Burpy
05-13-2012, 12:45 AM
Just finished my Ivy Bridge build.

I was wondering if running the iGPU and AMD 6950 together is a good idea?
My primary Monitor is connected to the 6950 and my HDTV is connect to the iGPU.
Both GPU's have the latest drivers installed.

I noticed a problem when the screensaver went active and reached the HDTV, it would
hard lock the system. A restart is required before I can have access again. I remedied this
by disabling the screensaver, and set the display to turn off after 10mins in power settings.

Having lower idle temps on the 6950 (45c vs 65c) and playing games while having a video
playing on the HDTV with no performance hit is also a benefit of this setup.

I tried Virtu MVP software, but the hard lock screensaver still happens.

Can I expect more issues running in this configuration?

Thanks in advance.

HiVizMan
05-13-2012, 10:31 AM
If your system is running at stock, and that includes your ram at default then you should not be having problems and the system will work just fine.

Also did you do a clean OS install and clean drivers for your new set up?

However when you start changing stuff that is when odd side effects start to happen, could you post up your full system settings please.

Burpy
05-13-2012, 11:26 AM
If your system is running at stock, and that includes your ram at default then you should not be having problems and the system will work just fine.

Also did you do a clean OS install and clean drivers for your new set up?

However when you start changing stuff that is when odd side effects start to happen, could you post up your full system settings please.

My CPU & RAM are at stock. The system has been stable so far, other than the hard lock screensaver issue.
Winodws 7 SP1 is a clean install with event viewer showing no issues.

Drivers for AMD 6950 are 12.4 WHQL. I initially used the intel iGPU drivers from ASUS website, but uninstalled
those and using the windows update version. I get the same screensaver hard lock with both versions.

I assume it's an intel drivers issue, but can't be sure. I'm currently in the testing for stability phase of the build,
so hopefully I will figure it out. If not, it's not that much of an issue since it's been stable otherwise.

Drivers I have Installed (from ASUS website)
- Asmedia USB3
- Asmedia SATA
- Intel Chipset
- Intel LAN
- Intel USB3
- Intel AHCI
- Intel iGPU drivers (windows update)
- Realtek Audio

HiVizMan
05-13-2012, 11:29 AM
There have been some issues with the 12.4 drivers. If at all possible install 12.3.

A couple of the forums I am on are full of disgruntled 12.4 users.

Burpy
05-13-2012, 11:40 AM
There have been some issues with the 12.4 drivers. If at all possible install 12.3.

A couple of the forums I am on are full of disgruntled 12.4 users.

I suspect it's a driver issue as well. It wouldn't surprise me if the AMD drivers was the cause.

I'll check again once the 12.5 WHQL Catalyst are released.