PDA

View Full Version : Intel Sandy Bridge Recall



tgrick
01-31-2011, 07:38 PM
INtel just announced a major recall of chips for Sandy Bridge. Does anyone have a clue how this will affect us using those latest mother boards that support Sandy Bridge? I have a P8P67 Pro.

SquaLLio
01-31-2011, 07:49 PM
I ordered the exact same board with an i7-2600k from Newegg just last Friday. My package will be here tomorrow, and I'm in a quandary about whether I should refuse the package or not.
Waiting the past 4 days was hard enough. I can't imagine waiting another couple of months! haha
Considering it's an "over time" degradation bug, I think there's a possibility I'll just keep and use it until Asus can provide me with a fix.
Any information you guys can provide here will be helpful. Will also help keep the support email open.
I'll be contacting support if I haven't heard anything by the end of today.

DavidBaker
01-31-2011, 08:42 PM
I'm in the same boat. I ordered a P8P67 Pro and a Core i5 2500k from Newegg on Sunday and I don't know if I should use it or wait for the recall.

If an admin could respond to this and give us some direction that would be very helpful.

D

SquaLLio
01-31-2011, 08:46 PM
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/news/cpu/intel-details-6-series-chipset-issues/

After reading that, I think I am going to accept the shipment. I've only got 2 SATA HDD's and one SATA Optical. As long as there's no physical damage to the drives, then I don't mind using it until Asus gives us some more info on what to do.

Runawaycoder
01-31-2011, 08:59 PM
I am in a similar situation with a P8P67 WS Revolution R. From my the various articles that I have read on this issue, it is only the 3gb/s sata controller that is affected. So for the time being moving everything to the 6gb/s sata ports should prevent any issues

tgrick
01-31-2011, 09:11 PM
Anandtech just posted the conditions, theretical/statistical of what might happen over time. Basically, if you use the intel 6GB SATA and Marvell controllers you will be fine.

DavidBaker
01-31-2011, 09:28 PM
I guess that makes me feel better. I'll probably still build my new machine and just swap out the board when ASUS communicates what their plan is. I will only have 2 drives anyway (SSD for OS & 1TB HDD for data).

pcjunkie209
01-31-2011, 09:42 PM
Well from what I understand it's not the CPUs it's the motherboards all of them. That means contact your dealer where u bought it. Newegg has already pulled all sandy boards off the web.

martin_metal_88
01-31-2011, 10:11 PM
For now retailer wont be able to do anything. Until intel set the call back program in place. This might take 1 or 2 week. You can always contact your retailer but they will probably tell you use it normally now and we will contact you when more info are in.

You cans ee my post in the news section at the bottom of the forum for info about manufacturer and retailer.

pcjunkie209
02-01-2011, 12:10 AM
Ya newegg only has one asus, two msi and four asrock

Desmo
02-01-2011, 04:44 AM
Yep, me too. I ordered the P67 Sabertooth just two days ago from Buy.com. I see Newegg and Tiger Direct has removed all P67 boards from their shelves. I guess its OK to continue with the build until Asus gets the replacements? Any more info on the procedure for a recall would be helpful. Is it only SATA 2 affected or all SATA ports?

pcjunkie209
02-01-2011, 06:20 AM
Yep, me too. I ordered the P67 Sabertooth just two days ago from Buy.com. I see Newegg and Tiger Direct has removed all P67 boards from their shelves. I guess its OK to continue with the build until Asus gets the replacements? Any more info on the procedure for a recall would be helpful. Is it only SATA 2 affected or all SATA ports?

You'll like the sabertooth and it's only sata 2 ports so just use sata 3 only

martin_metal_88
02-01-2011, 06:24 AM
Yep, me too. I ordered the P67 Sabertooth just two days ago from Buy.com. I see Newegg and Tiger Direct has removed all P67 boards from their shelves. I guess its OK to continue with the build until Asus gets the replacements? Any more info on the procedure for a recall would be helpful. Is it only SATA 2 affected or all SATA ports?

As intel say in a previous article, they have to find agreement with the manufacturer before doing anuthing else. They also need to have chipset to replace the faulty one. Which could take few week to start production to a good volume. Chip's are not like a like board, it can take month to get production to it's regular level after a shutdown. Intel also say that the new one should be available in mid feb and in mass production at the end of march or begining of april. So now, the only thing to do is build the computer and don't worry about it. Info about the call back should start to get in in 2 week or so.