PDA

View Full Version : G75 HD Specs?

agentsl9
05-13-2012, 10:22 PM
Just ordered the G75 from Best Buy and I'm planning on upgrading the drive to an SSD. Anyone know if the drive bays are SATA I, SATA II or SATA III? I've searched all over and can't find an answer.

Also, when I upgrade, will I have to install a new version of Windows? Or, does the machine ship with a Windows Disk or will I need to make a Backup/Restore?

Thanks

john_from_ohio
05-13-2012, 11:27 PM
Two internal bay drives support Sata III ... you can create backup disks via Asus utility ... pull out current drive ... and restore your current Win 7 system with all drivers onto new SSD. Later you can put original drive back in if you wish to.

Zygomorphic
05-14-2012, 12:15 AM
The two internal HDD's are SATA III, the optical drive is attached via SATA II. Not that an optical drive could saturate SATA I, but I guess Intel doesn't make those anymore. :)

agentsl9
05-14-2012, 06:35 PM
Thanks you. I'll be updating to a SATA III SSD asap. In the meantime, i'll have to make due with my the SATA II SSD i have sitting around. Only 64g though. Sooooo tiny.

john_from_ohio
05-15-2012, 01:18 AM
You really cannot tell from a day by day usage scenario much difference between SATA 2 and SATA 3 ssd ... even boot times do not change much.

I could not live long though in a 64 gb ssd ... and 120 is doable but I bought a 180 gb intel 520 to avoid having to fuss around with stufff and also to keep my itunes stuff on the ssd.