PDA

View Full Version : humming noise on g75

NotSneaky
05-14-2012, 06:05 AM
Is anyone else having humming noises from the g75........its a very low humming noise you can hear when its quite in a room. sounds like the fan. is it normal or should I send it in to get it fixed?

Holy
05-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Yes it is fine mine does it also but its only noticable if i dont have any audio on.

Daevart
05-16-2012, 08:26 AM
It's normal. It's the GPU Fan, which stays on almost all time. It's a soft low tone noise, yoou can hear it only when the room is quiet. Of course, looking for a new bios version that turns the GPU fan off when the machine is in IDLE state, cause it's pointless to have the fan working (and producing noise) while the temps are lower than 40 Celsius...

Daevart
05-16-2012, 06:20 PM
Up. I did a little mistake...it is the GPU fan always on. Looking for a solution...

Daevart
05-17-2012, 09:33 AM
I am still looking for an asnwer to this. I have to discuss about this aspect on the review that will be published on www.bitsandchips.it, our italian IT portal.

I forgot to give the specs

It is a G75V for the italian market:

8GB
FullHD1080P
BlueRay
GTX 670M 3GB
3610QM

_
05-18-2012, 02:57 AM
Quote from RD:

With the fan on the machine is only 28.6 dB, while if we turn the fan off the noise will only decreases to 27.8 dB due to the dual HDD. The human ear can only detect increments of 3dB so it won't appear any quieter even with the fan disabled or lowered.

The fan is kept on for 3 reasons:

1) It's FAR MORE noticeable to turn the fan on and off constantly as it heats up/cools off, versus keeping a consistent background hum. This is why most people aren't bothered by AC, for example.
2) It prolongs the life of the hardware to keep them at a consistent temp and not do (1) as much as possible.
3) It helps the performance (Turbo) to keep it consistently cool as the CPU/GPU registers they have 'thermal overhead' to use when required. If you let it heat up, then require it to run a program you'll get inconsistent performance depending on the state of the idle temp.

Daevart
05-18-2012, 05:10 AM
I have replied you in the other fan thread, please take a look there, ty.

Guido7142
05-28-2012, 02:51 AM
Is it possible to control the fan speed in the G75 ?