PDA

View Full Version : G75VW random audio and graphics spike

sunny
05-14-2012, 09:08 AM
Hi, this is my first time posting here so i hope this is the right place for it.

Just got my G75 2 days ago and since then, i have been getting random and annoying graphics and audio lag/spikes. When i have continuous music playing, i notice that sometimes the music will lag and create a very low screeching sound for maybe 2 seconds, after this ends, everything is back to normal.

As for the graphics, when i am playing a game or even surfing the web, i get a short lag spike or freeze. This freezes the screen or creates a huge lag for maybe 2 seconds and then back to normal. Furthermore, i notice sometimes when im on video call with my friends (skype). The video screen will occasionally flash green and return back to normal. I am not sure but both audio and graphics spikes could be happening at the same time. This is very fustrating.

I have tried installing the latest graphics drivers but it has not fixed the problem. Could it be hardware damage? or is it something to do with my drivers?

Thanks!

PS: this issue happens at least once every hour

Broth32
05-14-2012, 12:31 PM
If you look at some of my previous post I am getting the same exact problem with the graphic card. It's not a faulty hardware issue either - something is just wrong with these laptops. I have gotten two G75VW's from Best Buy and both had the same problems. I'm just returning mine today and moving on to another laptop.

sunny
05-14-2012, 12:43 PM
Yeah, thnx for the insight. here are some updates

I was just running Cryengine3 the sandbox tool and suddenly my screen blacked out. When my screen reverted back to normal (instantaneous), i got a notification saying that my graphics card crashed and successfully recovered itself.
This is also my 2nd g75, i swaped by g74 for this actually becuase of a touchpad issue

Holy
05-14-2012, 01:25 PM
What model?

sunny
05-14-2012, 01:48 PM
G75VW-T1013V (Australian model)

- 17.3" FHD / i7-3610QM / 16GB / 256GB SSD + 1TB / GTX670M-3GB / BR Writer / W7HP

blixel
05-16-2012, 01:00 AM
So ... this is a known problem, and there's nothing we can do about it?

I'm having the same problem.

When I'm watching a video, playing music, or playing a game, I will experience these random occurrences where the audio suddenly stutters really bad. It's like some kind of massive CPU spike. The mouse cursor stops moving and the audio will screech really bad.

This is not an acceptable problem. This cannot be over looked.

Is my only option to return this laptop and buy a different brand?

Holy
05-16-2012, 08:13 AM
hmm my G75 doesn't do this am i lucky?

YayInternet
05-16-2012, 11:14 PM
Mine did have some lagging issues, but I never noticed anything so drastic for audio or video. I reinstalled Windows 7 and I have no lagging issues. Could be software related if that's the case.

dstrakele
05-17-2012, 12:24 AM
Download DPC Latency Checker (http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml) and run it when your PC is idle. Do you see red spikes? Those spikes are caused by drivers misbehaving. Read the download page to learn how to troubleshoot with this diagnostic utility. Come back if you need more help.

Broth32
05-17-2012, 01:42 AM
BBest Buy says I have 30 days to return this laptop. I have several support tickets into Asus about this issue. If they don't get a fix this laptop is going back... sucks because I really thought I would love this set up for a laptop.

As stated in another post:

Here is what I did to "fix"the spike problem. Keep the laptop plugged in. Turn batteryoption on high performance and shut down ANYTHING running in the backround that you do not need I had the same problem with Skyrim, Rift, and Diablo 3. Ever since I did the above suggestions I hardly ever get spikes...

Hope this helps

blixel
05-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Download DPC Latency Checker (http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml) and run it when your PC is idle. Do you see red spikes? Those spikes are caused by drivers misbehaving. Read the download page to learn how to troubleshoot with this diagnostic utility. Come back if you need more help.

Interesting. I downloaded this tool and, while sitting here doing nothing, my G75VW-A71 is showing red spikes on a regular basis. Perhaps once a minute, or once every other minute.

Spike 1 - http://i.imgur.com/VKBqu.png
Spike 2 - http://i.imgur.com/2HcZ6.png
Spike 3 (off the charts) - http://i.imgur.com/g6mGs.png

This is all well and good to know ... but what can I do about it?

Thanks.

Edit: Here's another image.

Spike 4 - http://i.imgur.com/s98cM.png

That was while viewing a video on youtube. Here's the interesting thing, as soon as the video was done downloading, the frequency of the red spikes declined.

Could it be the wireless network driver?

Edit 2: Updated the wireless driver. It didn't help.

Spike 5 (after updating the wireless driver) - http://i.imgur.com/hBE8s.png

Edit 3: Updated the "Intel(R) 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller" driver. That required a reboot. After rebooting, the first thing I did was start the latency monitor and let it run for a minute or so. Then I started Google Chrome. This was the result:

Spike 6 (after updating the SATA ACHI Controller driver) - http://i.imgur.com/QYvDK.png

No help. The journey continues. I wonder if the problem is related to disk access? Since starting Google Chrome triggered such a large spike. Hmm...

dstrakele
05-17-2012, 04:30 PM
Don't worry about spikes caused by launching programs.

blixel
05-17-2012, 05:09 PM
The sound screech/stutter coincides perfectly with the red spikes I'm seeing in the latency checker program.

I think the problem is the wireless card. By going to the device manager and disabling the wireless card, I'm not seeing any spikes. (However, I'd let to let it run over an extended period. My testing period wasn't super long.) But during my testing period with the wireless disabled, I wasn't able to trigger any lag spikes. I opened StarCraft II and kept the latency monitor open on my other monitor. I played around with SC2 for a couple minutes and it never spiked.

When I closed SC2 and went back to the device manager and re-enabled the wireless card, I was immediately seeing yellow, and then red lag spikes again.

I'm not sure what can be done. I'm already running the newest Atheros drivers I could find. (10.0.0.45) Maybe the wireless adapter itself is junk hardware?

dstrakele
05-17-2012, 05:21 PM
I don't know what Atheros wireless adapter card you are running. You might check out Atheros driver version 9.2.1.470 to see if it is appropriate for your WiFi card. It IS more recent than the 9.2.0.469 version shipped with your system.

I use 9.2.1.470 on my AR9002WB-1NG on my G74SX-A1 without latency issues. I know this driver supports multiple Atheros WiFi cards. Maybe it supports yours...

It's important to realize that the best driver for your system may not always be the most recent.

blixel
05-17-2012, 05:27 PM
I don't know what Atheros wireless adapter card you are running. You might check out Atheros driver version 9.2.1.470 to see if it is appropriate for your WiFi card. I use it on my AR9002WB-1NG on my G74SX-A1 without latency issues. I know this driver supports multiple Atheros WiFi cards. Maybe it supports yours...

According to my device manager:
http://i.imgur.com/TpK7D.png

dstrakele
05-17-2012, 05:54 PM
From what I see on http://www.station-drivers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3527, the Atheros 9.2.1.470 driver does NOT support your Atheros 9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter. You'll have to try a different version if you wish to continue to troubleshoot the issue.

The Atheros WiFi cards in ASUS notebooks are budget quality and 2.4 Ghz band only. If your internet speed is 20+ mbps from your ISP and you have a 5.0 Ghz router, you can significantly increase your wireless speeds by upgrading to an Intel 6230 w/bluetooth or the Intel 6300 without bluetooth.

blixel
05-17-2012, 06:14 PM
From what I see on http://www.station-drivers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3527, the Atheros 9.2.1.470 driver does NOT support your Atheros 9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter. You'll have to try a different version if you wish to continue to troubleshoot the issue.

The Atheros WiFi cards in ASUS notebooks are budget quality and 2.4 Ghz band only. If your internet speed is 20+ mbps from your ISP and you have a 5.0 Ghz router, you can significantly increase your wireless speeds by upgrading to an Intel 6230 w/bluetooth or the Intel 6300 without bluetooth.

How do you replace the Atheros card? The back access panel only gives you access to the RAM and hard-drives.

dstrakele
05-17-2012, 06:29 PM
It looks like it's much more involved than on a G74SX. The G75 has better access to the fans at the expense of poorer access to all the memory slots and WiFi card.

So if I was in your situation, I'd try the Atheros drivers between 9.2.0.469 and 10.0.0.45 to see if one has less DPC Latency. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee you will be successful in this endeavor.

blixel
05-17-2012, 07:00 PM
I can't believe more people aren't here to talk about this problem. I can't believe that anyone who bought this laptop could live with this problem. And from the looks of things, software updates (drivers) aren't going to fix it.

Sigh ... it pains me to no end to think about the hassle of boxing this up, sending it back, and ordering a new system.

Broth32
05-17-2012, 07:01 PM
I honestly don't think it's a network issue. I play Skyrim and even Sims 3 offline and still experience the spikes....

dstrakele
05-17-2012, 07:06 PM
...And from the looks of things, software updates (drivers) aren't going to fix it.

A driver update is EXACTLY what is needed to fix it. It doesn't mean that driver exists currently, however.

blixel
05-17-2012, 07:07 PM
I honestly don't think it's a network issue. I play Skyrim and even Sims 3 offline and still experience the spikes....

Try going to your device manager and disabling the wireless network card.

From what I've seen, just having the card enabled causes the latency spikes. Your system will send/receive data over your network even if you aren't actively surfing the web, playing a multiplayer game, etc... Computers still broadcast small bits of data here and there over the network. From what I've been able to see here in my testing, those small "pings" are enough to cause latency spikes.

blixel
05-17-2012, 07:13 PM
I have a long Ethernet cable, so I ran a cable from the other side of my house to this room. I disabled the wireless adapter in the device manager and am on a wired connection now.

I'll see if this makes a difference. Should know soon enough.

Edit: Doesn't appear to help. Still getting lag spikes while playing Diablo 3. The mouse freezes in place momentarily, and the sound stutters really bad. Interestingly enough, my 2+ year old non-gaming HP laptop offered a better gaming experience than this Asus gaming laptop.

dstrakele
05-17-2012, 08:28 PM
There may be other drivers that are contributing to latency.

Is your touchpad disabled while you are using the mouse?

There may be game specific issues with Diablo 3. Do you observe this behavior in other games or stress tests such as Furmark, Prime95, or 3DMark?

blixel
05-17-2012, 08:42 PM
There may be other drivers that are contributing to latency.

Is your touchpad disabled while you are using the mouse?

There may be game specific issues with Diablo 3. Do you observe this behavior in other games or stress tests such as Furmark, Prime95, or 3DMark?

Touchpad is always disabled.

These spikes occur even if I'm just watching a youtube video. (Which is why I thought it might be network related.) So, it's not caused by Diablo 3.

I'll check out some of the stress tests later.

dstrakele
05-17-2012, 08:49 PM
These spikes occur even if I'm just watching a youtube video.

The video and audio drivers would then be suspects. @xeromist reported in another thread he experienced a similar issue on his G73 that was caused by the audio driver.

blixel
05-17-2012, 10:16 PM
The video and audio drivers would then be suspects. @xeromist reported in another thread he experienced a similar issue on his G73 that was caused by the audio driver.

I was going to update the video driver, but NVidia doesn't list the GTX 660M as a valid card.

Regarding the audio, VIA lists a few options on their website ... but I don't know which one to pick. The e-manual for this laptop doesn't specify what kind of VIA audio hardware this system has, and the device manager isn't specific either.

See list here (http://i.imgur.com/6JLWJ.png)

Broth32
05-17-2012, 11:10 PM
It's pretty sad that there have been issues with this laptop with absolutely no help from Asus. You would think SOMEBODY from Asus would be on their official forum walking us through a fix for this problem. I have sent a ticket each day regarding the graphic spike and no response. I don't know if I'm keeping this laptop or not but I will never purchase an Asus product again.

blixel
05-17-2012, 11:20 PM
Yeah, I want to keep the laptop ... but if the company won't even acknowledge the problem, then I have no reason to believe they'll ever fix it. So ... if I don't figure something out soon, I'll have to box it up and ship it back. And it will be my last asus product as well.

_
05-18-2012, 01:59 AM
Dear All,

Can you list me EXACTLY what was playing/doing on the laptop when you get these issues. Can you try it with wireless enabled and disabled. If you're using onboard speakers, headphones or external speakers.

The faster we can replicate them the faster we can arrange a driver fix.

Many thanks!

PLEASE make sure you are using the latest drivers from our ASUS site when you test. Try not to use 3rd party yet as we haven't qualified them and it introduces an unknown factor, so it's harder for us to help. Thanks!

blixel
05-18-2012, 02:15 AM
It's like they don't even read the messages before replying.

_
05-18-2012, 02:50 AM
It's like they don't even read the messages before replying.

Skyrim, SIMs, SCII and 'some video'. I cannot see the images posted unfortunately, so I was just asking for a clear statement rather than a discussion ;)

I'm unable to replicate it in games with a G55 I have here with the wireless enabled yet, so I wanted a bit more specific reply.

blixel
05-18-2012, 03:26 AM
On my G75VW-AS71, this lag spike issue is not triggered just by games. It's a global problem. It doesn't matter if I'm playing a game, listening to music, watching a video, or just sitting here looking at a blank desktop with no applications running.

It is more obvious while playing games just due to the fact that when you're trying to control a character on the screen and your mouse suddenly freezes for a full second or two and your audio stutters really bad, you tend to notice it more than, say, if you're just reading an article on a website with no audio playing.

blixel
05-18-2012, 04:55 AM
I've done the best I can to demonstrate this problem. By having Google Chrome set to open 3 or more tabs upon launching, it will cause a latency spike on a regular basis. It doesn't happen every single time I open Chrome, but I can recreate the problem by closing Chrome and re-opening until it does happen.

I still think it has something to do with networking. It acts as though "pulling" data from 3+ network connections at a time causes the latency spike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTTjC4YMaQw

blixel
05-18-2012, 12:53 PM
Skyrim, SIMs, SCII and 'some video'. I cannot see the images posted unfortunately, so I was just asking for a clear statement rather than a discussion ;)

I'm unable to replicate it in games with a G55 I have here with the wireless enabled yet, so I wanted a bit more specific reply.

Note that with regards to this lag spike issue, we are talking about the G75VW-AS71, not the G55. It would be helpful if you would perform these tests on the Exact Same hardware/software combination as the people who are having this trouble.

As john from ohio said, "Let's take this seriously asus and investigate it and get it fixed otherwise this forum will continue to be filled with people reporting issues here."

dstrakele
05-18-2012, 01:22 PM
It acts as though "pulling" data from 3+ network connections at a time causes the latency spike.

1) What speed internet connection have you purchased from your ISP?

2) What results do you get from SpeedTest on a) ethernet and b) wireless?

3) Can you reproduce the issue on an ethernet connection with the Atheros driver disabled?

blixel
05-18-2012, 01:26 PM
What speed internet connection have you purchased from your ISP? What results do you get from SpeedTest?

You're not suggesting that my Internet connection is causing the audio on this system to sputter out and the mouse to freeze, are you? That is pretty ridiculous. One has nothing to do with the other. I have had the same Internet provider for over 12 years, and I've never had audio sputters and mouse locks up.

Daylife
05-18-2012, 01:55 PM
BBest Buy says I have 30 days to return this laptop. I have several support tickets into Asus about this issue. If they don't get a fix this laptop is going back... sucks because I really thought I would love this set up for a laptop.

As stated in another post:

Here is what I did to "fix"the spike problem. Keep the laptop plugged in. Turn batteryoption on high performance and shut down ANYTHING running in the backround that you do not need I had the same problem with Skyrim, Rift, and Diablo 3. Ever since I did the above suggestions I hardly ever get spikes...

Hope this helps

I went through 4 G75s to get the perfect one....I really love this laptop, but damn I thought Asus built good quality products, but every single g75 that i got was either missing the rubber bottom pieces, or had a bent frame, or the frame around the monitor was completely off, or the laptop itself would freeze and make this loud screetching noise. But I am happy that i finally got a good one :)

blixel
05-18-2012, 02:01 PM
I went through 4 G75s to get the perfect one....I really love this laptop, but damn I thought Asus built good quality products, but every single g75 that i got was either missing the rubber bottom pieces, or had a bent frame, or the frame around the monitor was completely off, or the laptop itself would freeze and make this loud screetching noise. But I am happy that i finally got a good one :)

Ug ... if that's what it takes to get a working G75, then I think I'd better plan on just returning this for a refund and going with a different brand.

Thanks for posting your experience. 80% failure rate is inexcusable.

Daylife
05-18-2012, 02:11 PM
Ug ... if that's what it takes to get a working G75, then I think I'd better plan on just returning this for a refund and going with a different brand.

Thanks for posting your experience. 80% failure rate is inexcusable.

Yeah i dont blame you, But it truly is an awesome computer. If i were you i would build my own Desktop, unless your in my situation. Im active duty navy so im always travelling.

dstrakele
05-18-2012, 02:14 PM
You're not suggesting that my Internet connection is causing the audio on this system to sputter out and the mouse to freeze, are you? That is pretty ridiculous. One has nothing to do with the other. I have had the same Internet provider for over 12 years, and I've never had audio sputters and mouse locks up.

I'm just trying to get information to help troubleshoot your issue. Take a look at my previous post again. I've added some questions. It would be interesting to find out if the Atheros card and/or its driver is a bottleneck. It was a huge bottleneck on previous G Series Notebooks until driver version 9.2.1.432 eliminated the DPC Latency. Unfortunately, you have a different verson of Atheros card in your laptop which is not supported by these driver versions.

If you do not wish to troubleshoot any further, that's fine.

blixel
05-18-2012, 02:24 PM
1) What speed internet connection have you purchased from your ISP?

2) What results do you get from SpeedTest on a) ethernet and b) wireless?

3) Can you reproduce the issue on an ethernet connection with the Atheros driver disabled?

1 & 2 - I'm sorry, but I don't see how this has any relevance to this problem. Whether I'm on a DSL/Cable, Dial-up, ISDN, Satellite, or have a T1 line... matters not. My other computers (and other Internet-enabled devices) are using the same Internet connection and don't have any such problem. It's something on this particular system ... it has nothing to do with my router, my Internet connection, my car, or my pizza delivery guy.

3. Yes. I just verified this by disabling the wireless adapter in Device Manager and enabling the wired connection. While on the wired connection, I can force a lag spike by doing what I did (as seen in the video).

sunny
05-18-2012, 02:28 PM

Like he said, it is a global issue and it happens without fail on whatever i am doing with my computer.
Regarding the internet issue, i have noticed that it is correlated to the connection somewhat, for example when i am listening to music on youtube, i will get more of these spikes, if im listening to music offline, i would get significantly less.

I also doubt its the internet provider's problem, i've taken the labtop with me to uni and used their connection, still same issue.

At least someone from the ROG headquaters is looking into this, and he did mention a driver update - i hope the update will fix the issue. i really do not want to go back to switch the labtop again, mainly because i dont have the time.

PS: have you tried reformatting it? fresh win install? if you do tell me if it works.

dstrakele
05-18-2012, 02:28 PM
Yes. I just verified this by disabling the wireless adapter in Device Manager and enabling the wired connection. While on the wired connection, I can force a lag spike by doing what I did (as seen in the video).

So we learned the Atheros card and its driver is likely not a bottleneck in this issue. It makes me more suspicious of the audio driver.

Have you tried changing the audio driver configuration to see if it changes behavior?

sunny
05-18-2012, 02:39 PM
So we learned the Atheros card and its driver is likely not a bottleneck in this issue. It makes me more suspicious of the audio driver.

What about the graphics issue? The in-game lag? (i experience this in League of Legends) and the mouse freeze?

Btw, i experience the exact same issue as shown in the video, except sometimes when playing games, i also get some small glitches (flashing black screen, or flashing black lines) but i can deal with that.

dstrakele
05-18-2012, 02:43 PM
Those are good points. DPC Latency can result in all of these behaviors. I may be unjustly accusing the audio driver. I was more suspicious of it, being a new component to the G Series laptops.

blixel
05-18-2012, 02:43 PM
I've thought about formatting and re-installing as well. Unfortunately I don't have the patience/resources to do that myself. If I had an extra G75, I'd be willing to test ideas like that, but I'm using this as my main system.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if formatting and re-installing a "clean" version of Windows 7 solved the problem.

I have wondered if this McAffee program could be responsible for these lag spikes ... with all its real time scanning and what not. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a way to simply Exit the program. Apparently I would have to uninstall it completely to shut it off?

Maybe there is some other process that is starting automatically at boot up that's causing this? Hmm... I'll have to see if there's some way to start Windows 7 in "safe mode" like we did in the old Windows 95/98/XP days. If the problem goes away when the system is booted with minimal processes running, that would be a big clue.

Something else to add to this ... the other day, I was copying a lot of files from my old laptop to this one over the network. I was listening to some MP3's on this asus laptop while copying the files. I noticed these audio sputters several times during that process. So again, it seems to hint at the issue being somehow network related.

But I have confirmed that it's not just the wireless ... it happens regardless if I'm on wireless or wired.

sunny
05-18-2012, 02:50 PM
I've thought about formatting and re-installing as well. Unfortunately I don't have the patience/resources to do that myself. If I had an extra G75, I'd be willing to test ideas like that, but I'm using this as my main system.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if formatting and re-installing a "clean" version of Windows 7 solved the problem.

I have wondered if this McAffee program could be responsible for these lag spikes ... with all its real time scanning and what not. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a way to simply Exit the program. Apparently I would have to uninstall it completely to shut it off?

Maybe there is some other process that is starting automatically at boot up that's causing this?

Something else to add to this ... the other day, I was copying a lot of files from my old laptop to this one over the network. I was listening to some MP3's on this asus laptop while copying the files. I noticed these audio sputters several times during that process. So again, it seems to hint at the issue being somehow network related.

But I have confirmed that it's not just the wireless ... it happens regardless if I'm on wireless or wired.

That is an interesting point. I haven't unistalled any of those ASUS softwares that comes with the labtop. This is because my previous G74 started to show touchpad issues after i unistalled Mcafree and some other pre-installed stuff. This time just to be safe, i kept everything in place haha

dstrakele
05-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Antivirus programs are difficult to disable. You need to disable all the Antivirus Services and reboot to unload the Antivirus drivers. Sometimes you need to locate the drivers in Device Manager using "Show hidden devices", find them in "Non Plug-N-Play Drivers", disable them, then reboot to unload them.

Daylife
05-18-2012, 03:08 PM
Sigh......When you buy a brand new laptop, you shouldnt have to deal with these issues lol...Thats like buying a brand new car, and then the car shakes or the the lights dont work, and you gotta tape it with ducktape to fix it etc......THIS LAPTOP SHOULD BE WORKING PERFECTLY FINE, thats what QA is for.

blixel
05-18-2012, 03:26 PM
I have more to add to this.

I went to the device manager and disabled NVIDIA High Definition Audio and VIA High Definition Audio. That left me with just my Logitech USB Headset for sound. (See screenshot (http://i.imgur.com/kOLMz.png))

With those audio devices disabled, I am STILL able to cause lag spikes by doing what I did in the video. I play some kind of audio, put on my headphones so I can hear sound (since all other sound is disabled at the driver level) ... and when I start Google Chrome, it will eventually cause a huge sound sputter and my mouse will freeze. (I had to open Chrome and close it about 5 times before I could trigger the first spike. But I was able to reproduce it several times.)

So ... it does not appear to be a problem with the VIA audio drivers either.

And I completely agree with Daylife. This is not what buying a new laptop is suppose to be like. It's suppose to be a fun/rewarding experience. You're supposed to be tickled pink with your new purchase.

Instead, I feel like I should be getting paid to do all this trouble shooting on behalf of ASUS.

blixel
05-18-2012, 04:45 PM
A second video showing this problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZdmM1qjLxk

If I find another way to reliably reproduce this problem, I'll make another video showing how to do it.

dstrakele
05-18-2012, 05:00 PM
If I were troubleshooting your issue further, I'd be tempted to uninstall McAfee, and any other Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, Remote Access, or Disk Management software I installed to the system, REBOOT, and then attempt to reproduce the issue.

The G74SX laptops came with a trial of Trend Micro Antivirus installed and running as shipped. Does the G75VW come with an Antivirus trial installed?

I would also examine the Errors and Warnings in the Windows System and Application Event Logs to see if they may point in some troubleshooting direction.

As a last attempt before exchanging/returning the system, I would do an ASUS Factory Restore (press F9 at the ASUS splash screen and follow the instructions to restore Windows to the 1st partition) to return the laptop to its out-of-the-box state, and without installing any additional software, attempt to reproduce the issue.

blixel
05-18-2012, 05:13 PM
If I were troubleshooting your issue further, I'd be tempted to uninstall McAfee, and any other Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, Remote Access, or Disk Management software I installed to the system and then attempt to reproduce the issue.

The G74SX laptops came with a trial of Trend Micro Antivirus installed and running as shipped. Does the G75VW come with an Antivirus trial?

It comes with McAffee. I'm very tempted to uninstall it. It's just a trial and I have no intention of buying it anyway.

But to further add to this, I went to msconfig and shut off a bunch of non mission critical processes from startup. But the problem persists.

There are probably 3 dozen services that run automatically at startup ... but I don't know the ins and outs of services well enough to know can be shut off.

john_from_ohio
05-18-2012, 05:24 PM
The G74SX laptops came with a trial of Trend Micro Antivirus installed and running as shipped. Does the G75VW come with an Antivirus trial installed?

The best buy models G75VW BBK5 do not have anything installed ( but best buy gives free subscription for limited time no add cost ... pick one ).

I am running NIS 2012 along with MBAM ( good combo ) and have not noticed any real lags on my system ( deadly fast with Intel 520 ssd ) just the audio issues with subwoofer volume ... not that I use built in speakers much.

Antivirus protection ( until someone gets messed up ) is a religious topic to some but yeah not a bad idea to try to debug by disabling all that.

There are certainly audio driver issues at this time ... get on board asus!

blixel
05-18-2012, 05:36 PM
It's probably too early to celebrate, but uninstalling McAfee might have done the trick.

Since uninstalling and rebooting, I have not been able to force a lag spike. Furthermore, I've had DPC Latency Checker running the whole time since I've rebooted, and it's never even gone into the yellow, let alone red.

Again, it's too early to know for sure ... but if more people who have this problem can uninstall McAfee and report their results, then we might be able to come to a consensus. (Of course, uninstall security software at your own risk. But it's just a trial anyway. If you don't plan to pay for it when the trial ends, there's no harm in nuking it now.)

If this does prove to be the solution, it is logical to me. Antivirus software has its hooks deep within the Operating System. (Like kernel level stuff.) So getting rid of all those low level hooks could certainly fix latency problems.

I will continue to monitor this all day ... playing Diablo 3, watching youtube videos, listening to music, etc... If the problem returns, I will of course come back and post immediately.

dstrakele
05-18-2012, 05:44 PM
I recommend giving Microsoft Security Essentials a shot for your Antivirus duties... The price is right and it did pick up (and properly dealt with) an attempt to install some malware when I accessed a web site to research a computer issue.

It has a small footprint and should not hinder performance.

sunny
05-19-2012, 04:41 AM
I also just unistalled Mcafree.

Since then i haven't had any noticeable lag spikes... even when playing some games (League of legends)

Its probably too early to assume, but i will update this if i start getting those spikes again

Update:

It been 5hrs since i unistalled Mcafree and i have not experienced any lag spikes which means the mouse isn't freezing anymore. However the issue with the ingame glitches still occur occasionally.

Another problem that hasn't been fixed is to do with the webcam. When im on video chat with someone, i would sometimes get a green flash on the video screen, anyone else?

blixel
05-19-2012, 12:05 PM
I just thought I'd post an update here as well. Since uninstalling McAfee, I haven't had any more lag spikes. I spent all evening using my computer ... playing Diablo 3, messed around with MS Flight Simulator X for a while, watched some youtube videos, listened to some music, etc... all the usual things I do.

I've had DPC Latency Checker running the entire time. (I even let it run overnight.) It has remained in the green the entire time.

I feel pretty confident that uninstalling McAfee is the answer. (Or ... some part of McAfee is the problem. Perhaps you don't have to fully uninstall it ... maybe there's one particular piece you can shut off. But personally, I don't like McAfee anyway, so I'm happy to just get it off my system.)

I suppose this will be my last post on this issue. (Unless something else goes wrong.)

Nungy
05-20-2012, 12:37 AM
I bought the exact same model as you, possibly on the same day.
I had issues with my games lagging like crazy, though I never tested movie playback.
I removed mcaffee quite early on and replaced it with MSE.
I still get the lagging issue if I play with the laptop unplugged.
Spiking framerate etc.
I had updated all the drivers using the ones from asus.
Glad to hear its running fine for you, I intend to just use mine plugged in all the time at the moment and cruise these forums until a good fix is found.

I hope someone benefits from this info.
Enjoy your super laptop :D

Cecil_2099
05-20-2012, 12:53 AM
Spiking framerate etc.

The Power4Gear settings seem to throttle the processors when you're running on battery. You can try fiddling with the "On Battery" settings in the Power4Gear program to see if that fixes the issue...there should be sliders controlling the throttling.

diamaja1234
05-21-2012, 01:01 AM
i got this problem too, at first there is no problem but later on the spikes become frequent, playing dota 2 and watching youtube video,
so i just need to uninstall the mcafee? and the problem will be solved?

john_from_ohio
05-21-2012, 01:17 AM
You definitely need "some kind" of antivirus and firewall on any system connected to the internet. So don't just "uninstall" ...

Several people here in this thread have noted lag problems and spikes go away after ditching mcafee ... for them.

Lots of players in the antivirus area including commercial products and free ones ...

blixel
05-21-2012, 01:18 AM
i got this problem too, at first there is no problem but later on the spikes become frequent, playing dota 2 and watching youtube video,
so i just need to uninstall the mcafee? and the problem will be solved?

Uninstalling McAfee solved my problems, and seems to have worked for at least 1 or 2 other people. So if you're experiencing this problem, that is a good place to start.

If you do uninstall McAfee, please come back here and post your results. As more people buy this laptop and experience this problem, they will be searching for answers. (Just like you are.) So the more data we can get in this thread, the better.

So again, if you uninstall McAfee and it solves your problem, please come back here and let everyone know.

Nungy
05-21-2012, 09:45 AM
The Power4Gear settings seem to throttle the processors when you're running on battery. You can try fiddling with the "On Battery" settings in the Power4Gear program to see if that fixes the issue...there should be sliders controlling the throttling.

Trying that now, so far no improvements... gonna run out of battery life doing tests lol.
I wish uninstalling mcaffee fixed it

Broth32
05-21-2012, 10:54 PM
Just a little FYI... The Best Buy's' Asus G75VW version I had never came with an anti-virus program and I still had multiple lag spikes (yes,even when plugged in, high performance, and all drivers updated). I hated doing it but I returned the laptop to Best Buy and will be looking for another gaming laptop.

_
05-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Hi Everyone.

Your input (and the video) is VERY MUCH appreciated. We've been looking into your replies this week and the RD team are working on it now. They are trying to determine if it's software (drivers, anti-virus) or BIOS related (because you reported problems still happen when you disabled networking and sound). I will let you know as soon as I know!

Is anyone on the G55 with this issue? All I've read is G75s.

Thanks for your patience.

I bought the exact same model as you, possibly on the same day.
I had issues with my games lagging like crazy, though I never tested movie playback.
I removed mcaffee quite early on and replaced it with MSE.
Spiking framerate etc.
I had updated all the drivers using the ones from asus.
Glad to hear its running fine for you, I intend to just use mine plugged in all the time at the moment and cruise these forums until a good fix is found.

I hope someone benefits from this info.
Enjoy your super laptop :D

What mode were you running on P4G when this happened? 'Entertainment mode' is the mid-range one for video and music, while 'Battery Saving' is for basic internet/reading/low level tasks.

TheGongshow
05-23-2012, 09:22 PM
Hi Everyone.

Your input (and the video) is VERY MUCH appreciated. We've been looking into your replies this week and the RD team are working on it now. They are trying to determine if it's software (drivers, anti-virus) or BIOS related (because you reported problems still happen when you disabled networking and sound). I will let you know as soon as I know!

Is anyone on the G55 with this issue? All I've read is G75s.

Thanks for your patience.

What mode were you running on P4G when this happened? 'Entertainment mode' is the mid-range one for video and music, while 'Battery Saving' is for basic internet/reading/low level tasks.

Marshall. I own a G55 and i am having the exact same problems as the youtube video that was posted earlier in this thread. Mostly during Skype calls, Diablo 3, and SC2 games. I have an extra 8 GB of ram installed for a total of 16, if that makes any difference. I am loving this laptop, A LOT. I did tons of research on this computer before buying and now i am feeling a little let down. I know you're all trying to find a fix asap. Please do or else i will have to return it before the 30 days are up.

IslandguyOR
05-23-2012, 11:16 PM
I was getting the same issue. I uninstalled McAfee that came with my G75V and I have not gotten any of the video/audio lag spikes for the last few hours on youtube videos. I am going to try it on Skyrim, Battlefield 3, and SWTOR to verify this is resolved on my system.

blixel
05-23-2012, 11:35 PM
5-day follow up.

Since uninstalling McAfee 5 days ago, I haven't had any more lag spikes. I've played a lot of Diablo III (just started Act III today), a lot of MS Flight Simulator X, and have done all the other usual things with my computer ... watching youtube videos and listening to music. No problems. I continued to monitor my PC with DPC Latency Checker for several days, and there wasn't a single blip of lag.

I also installed MS Security Essentials a few days ago (so I would have some kind of protection), and even with MS Security Essentials running full time, I've had no issue.

The other issue (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?14986-G75-audio-system-bugreport&country=&status=) still persists, but that one isn't a deal breaker for me. I use external speakers full time, so I just turned off the sub woofer by going to Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Manage Audio Devices -> Clicking on the VIA High Definition Audio speakers and then click Properties -> choose the Levels tab -> then lowered the MonoBass to 0.

On that topic though, I am experiencing a problem where I only have sound out of the right side speaker after bringing the computer back up from sleep mode. Unplugging the audio jack and plugging it back in fixes it. Annoying, but I can live with it until a driver fix comes out.

TheGongshow
05-24-2012, 01:22 AM
5-day follow up.

On that topic though, I am experiencing a problem where I only have sound out of the right side speaker after bringing the computer back up from sleep mode. Unplugging the audio jack and plugging it back in fixes it. Annoying, but I can live with it until a driver fix comes out.

I will be trying the uninstall of the virus stuff tonight. I have the same problem on my G55 with the headphones sometimes needing to be unplugged and plugged back in. I can live with that as well. I do love this beast of a machine though.

VZero
05-24-2012, 09:15 PM
I just got the G75VW today and it seems to run Skyrim great while plugged in. If I'm not plugged in, I would erratically drop to single digit FPS once in a while. I'm running on Power4Gear High Performance mode. Does anyone have any recommendations on tweaking those settings?

Thanks

Edit - Additional info:

I've already uninstalled McAffee and installed Microsoft Security Essentials.
I've updated the graphics drivers to the latest one from ASUS site.

john_from_ohio
05-24-2012, 10:28 PM
"Spikes only when on Battery" ... so carry around a Honda generator?

AFAIK it is hard to draw as much continuous quality power of any reasonably sized laptop battery as when one is using the "big bad brick" ...

There are some options under advanced tab for power settings "Processor power management" and minimum processor state on battery/plugged in ... guess you could mess with those ... can always restore the plan defaults ...

VZero
05-24-2012, 10:34 PM
"Spikes only when on Battery" ... so carry around a Honda generator?

AFAIK it is hard to draw as much continuous quality power of any reasonably sized laptop battery as when one is using the "big bad brick" ...

There are some options under advanced tab for power settings "Processor power management" and minimum processor state on battery/plugged in ... guess you could mess with those ... can always restore the plan defaults ...

I just tried that now and problem still persists. Damn, I had such high hopes for this laptop. If this doesn't get solved within the next week then I'd have to return this and get the Alienware m17x then...

TheGongshow
05-25-2012, 12:53 AM
I just tried that now and problem still persists. Damn, I had such high hopes for this laptop. If this doesn't get solved within the next week then I'd have to return this and get the Alienware m17x then...

VZero, try uninstalling McAfee before you return it. It seems to have cured 4 or 5 of our problems with both the G75 and G55 models and this exact problem. I did it last night and played a few of the games and tried really hard to replicate and haven't seen the problem since uninstalling it. You get WAY more for your money with the Asus. The M17x is a Dell, remember that.

VZero
05-25-2012, 12:59 AM
Thanks but I've mentioned above that I uninstalled McAffee already.

And yeah I know that I'd be paying like $300 more for m17x with same components as my G75, but I just don't like the fact that the laptop is crippled on battery.

I'm installing D3 now. I'll test this on other games to see if this problem persists.

VZero
05-25-2012, 01:21 PM
Okay, the problem seems to be with Skyrim only for now. I've tried D3, Witcher 2 and Dead Island while on batteries and they seem to be fine.

For Skyrim, I've changed the power mode to "Entertainment" and there seems to be LESS random drops in FPS.

I'll monitor this for now and see what happens.

kif
05-26-2012, 01:14 AM
5-day follow up.

I've had a G75 for a week now.
I started with the same problem as all here, the spikes happening randomlly. These spikes could be tracked with DPC Latency Checker and after I unistaled McAfee and installed MS Security Essencials just like you did I stopped having them. I have also been tracking the computer for new spikes since then and none seemed to appear.

Problem is, I think (might be wrong) that Mcafee was just the scapegoat of this issue.
The reason why I say this is because altough very rare i'm starting to have huge spikes again (started today and since I wasn't using the machine only saw them on DPC), and they are starting to become more frequent ( Since the uninstall of McAfee I have the Checker always on), and these spikes even happen when the computer is idle, no stress involved whatsoever.
Since I reset the DPC every once in a while I could count, today, a total of 5 spikes. It's very few but I used to have none.

I've 3D Mark 2011 and Vantage the machine several times, and I can confirm the computer have the same result as the reviews posted online, I't seems this issue ain't hardware but I can't be too sure .

I would really love to hear some accurate diagnosis from Asus/ROG cause in my country I only have 15 days to give the product back and i'm running out of time.

I love this machine but I can't risk it to have a defective one since these were 5 year savings invested in this.

Tomorrow gonna try to run linux from an external hard drive and once again run DPC to see if this is related with the OS or the many programs Asus places in the computer. This is also wierd, a new computer with nothing running has 93 process always running and a total sum of 150 process + service, this ain't normal.

Sorry for long post.

PS: Has anyone got an answer from a ticket at Asus yet?

blixel
05-26-2012, 01:46 AM
Hmm... discouraging, but thanks for posting this. I too have continued to run DPC Latency Checker almost continuously. The only time I've seen a red spike since uninstalling McAfee was when I plugged in my Joystick. But in my opinion, that probably doesn't count. For one, it was only a short red line ... it wasn't spiking to the top with 2 or 3 bars like it did in my video. And I can imagine that when you plug-in and unplug hardware, you could get a blip of additional latency. The small blip I saw wasn't enough to cause my mouse to freeze or anything like that. (Perhaps I'll play around later on just to test this some more. Do I regularly get a small blip of latency when plugging in thumbdrives, external hard-drives, joysticks, etc...)

Having said all that ... even though uninstalling McAfee seems to have solved the lag for me, I'm still not completely sold on this laptop.

Diablo 3 seems a bit choppy in my opinion ... even with all the settings on Low and anti-aliasing turned off ... it still seems choppy. I haven't tried running it on a lower resolution yet. But at some point, you turn the graphics down so much that it becomes pointless to even play. This is supposed to be a Gaming Laptop - and it's Brand New technology. 3rd gen Intel - Ivy Bridge. This is why I waited an extra few months to buy ... so I wouldn't have to play these games on low settings.

I wish Diablo 3 had a local-only mode ... so I could play without being connected to battle.net just to eliminate the possibility of the choppiness being due to Internet latency. But I think I can tell the difference between Network latency and CPU lag.

In Microsoft Flight Simulator X (which IS local-only), the frame rate is generally really good ... but sometimes (usually when landing it seems), it will drop down into the teens. That's definitely low enough to make it look like it's stuttering.

Oh ... and here's my biggest concern. (Outside of the lag spike issue.) In all games, I can see a horizontal line from time to time. It's as if the screen is redrawing from top to bottom, and 1 line is momentarily out of sync. Like all the pixels are shifted to the right by 1. It's not horrible, but it's definitely distracting.

After having spent a full 2 weeks with it now, I'm not a huge fan of the way the keys feel. They have a mushy feeling in opinion. While typing, the keys lack a certain crispness that I'm use to with other keyboards. And on the topic of the keyboard, I can't believe the Delete and Insert key are combined on one key. To use Insert, you have to hold down FN. That is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. I'm going to have to remap it to another key if I decide to keep this thing. A lot of games let you spin the camera using Pgup/Pgdown and/or Home/Insert/Delete ... so it's a massive inconvenience to have to press Delete, and then press FN+DELETE to get Insert to work. Plus, I use Insert all the time when making typing corrections. Duh. (I also hate the fact that the ZERO on the numpad is 1/2 size. I am constantly hitting the right arrow when trying to press the 0 key.)

As it is right now, if I had it to do over again, I'd definitely go with a different laptop. (Possibly Sager (http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_info&model_name=NP9170).)

But I made the mistake of assuming everything would be just fine with this laptop ... so I've already invested a ton of time and energy into setting it up and getting all my stuff on here. So I'm trying to decide if it's worth the massive headache of returning this system ... and then spending another huge amount of time setting up a new system.

john_from_ohio
05-26-2012, 01:52 AM
We know that asus/via have issues with the audio driver ... marshall has acknowledged the audio issues although no clear expectations on a delivery date for fixes. The video card is relatively new also ( varies 660M or 670M ) and will get some fixes also ...

I for one am not a gamer but an Oracle database geek. I have a very stable vm OL 6.2 install using UEK2 thru vmbox and everything else for me ( OS is Win 7 Pro 64 bit SP1 and NIS 2012 and MBAM among other stuff ). ( Well most people will probably want to move OS to an SSD versus supplied internal disk drive sooner or later ).

My guess is that sooner or later asus/via/nvidia will get drivers updated/fixed. Lots of different options all over the place in regards to protecting a win 7 64 bit system on the internet but for me a registered/updated copy of MBAM ( Malware Bytes Anti Malware ) along with an update to date Symantec/Norton product including firewall works for me.

Sorry Bill Gates but no free microsoft antivirus product for my system ... way too many patch wednesdays stuff going in to put all my eggs into just one basket ... sorry getting off the soapbox now ...

brievolz84
05-26-2012, 05:33 AM
I'm having the same problem as you guys; I have a G75VW-TS71 and I got it on Wednesday through Amazon/Tiger Direct. I haven't uninstalled the McAffe trial yet (can't afford another antivirus software, for now) but I did notice that others haven't commented that if you're on battery power (regardless of mode: High Performance, Entertainment or Power Savings) the audio spikes and the freezes happen more frequently. When plugged in, it seems to subside to about one or two times an hour. I haven't run the DPC latency software to confirm this, I've just experimented with this for the past couple of hours (listening to music and watching videos.

When I get some extra time, I was thinking about installing/replacing the internal hard drive of the G75 with a older non-working laptop's hard drive. Doing a *fresh* install of Windows 7 Pro and then install each and every utility that Asus provides individually, one after another, to see what may cause this. I will post my results when I'm able to do this.

blixel, I have found out that if you use shift and the number pad 0 you can use insert faster if you have numlock on. You can also disable numlock and have insert available to you has a hard key, just thought you would like to know. Also, I do have to say that I have played Crysis on this machine and it runs pretty fast, all my settings are high (albeit not highest). I haven't run SWTOR yet but that's my next game to test on this laptop but if Crysis runs fast (minus the audio and display lag) then this laptop should run SWTOR pretty well.

diamaja1234
05-27-2012, 10:35 AM
after uninstalled mcafee, and installed kaspersky internet security 2012, i got no spike in playing dota 2 and watching video on youtube (high performance, plugged in), except still got problem with diablo 3, now sometimes i got black screens (the driver suddenly stops and turn on again, and lots of people suffering this problem in playing diablo 3, must be the issue between the compability of NVDIA with diablo 3) Diablo 3 sucks, 11 years $69 still failed a lot error 3007, black screens etc, worst money i ever spent.
if u want to play games with the battery instead of plugging in, i think u need to set the settings to be all maximum, as the default settings on battery even in high performance are not all maxed. Maybe thats why u got spike, as the battery could not support enough energy to the laptop,, and what point playing heavy games if u could only play around 1 hours or 2, and it is not healthy for the battery,
I wish they give more update, so the laptop could be more stable and less problem,,

sunny
05-27-2012, 12:04 PM
after uninstalled mcafee, and installed kaspersky internet security 2012, i got no spike in playing dota 2 and watching video on youtube (high performance, plugged in), except still got problem with diablo 3, now sometimes i got black screens (the driver suddenly stops and turn on again, and lots of people suffering this problem in playing diablo 3, must be the issue between the compability of NVDIA with diablo 3) Diablo 3 sucks, 11 years $69 still failed a lot error 3007, black screens etc, worst money i ever spent.
if u want to play games with the battery instead of plugging in, i think u need to set the settings to be all maximum, as the default settings on battery even in high performance are not all maxed. Maybe thats why u got spike, as the battery could not support enough energy to the laptop,, and what point playing heavy games if u could only play around 1 hours or 2, and it is not healthy for the battery,
I wish they give more update, so the laptop could be more stable and less problem,,

Hey, the black screens you mention about, is it accompanied by a pop up on the lower right corner of your screen saying, "Nividia has stopped working and successfully recovered". I get this sometimes, it makes me anxious lol

diamaja1234
05-27-2012, 12:48 PM
Hey, the black screens you mention about, is it accompanied by a pop up on the lower right corner of your screen saying, "Nividia has stopped working and successfully recovered". I get this sometimes, it makes me anxious lol

Yes, there is, try for windowed screen, it lower the error, but still got it, i think it will be fix until new patch from either blizzard and nvidia, 100% there is something wrong with the game:mad:, because everyone got it, not only us G75 owner,
Iam SO MAD with BLIZZARD right now!!:mad::mad::mad:

sunny
05-27-2012, 03:22 PM
Ahh, i see i see good to see others having my problem. I suspect its a new driver issue and its unstable. Although i don't play Diablo, i have experreinced this graphics driver crash when using CryEngine sandbox, and sometimes playing League of Legends. The crash causes the screen to flicker with a black flash, its hard to explain but its definately not normal.

kif
05-27-2012, 07:49 PM
Hi all.

Today I noticed something wierd. Using HWiNFO32 (a program that reads all computer sensors, including temperature, fan, etc) I noticed that my computer cores are frequentlly working at max clock and high voltage, even when I'm doing nothing. They are like 1 second at max then they go down again for 1 second, then max again, like a routine they are always doing this.

I don't understand much about about these processors, anyone knows if this is normal?

Leon2101
05-30-2012, 01:04 AM
I can't believe more people aren't here to talk about this problem. I can't believe that anyone who bought this laptop could live with this problem. And from the looks of things, software updates (drivers) aren't going to fix it.

Sigh ... it pains me to no end to think about the hassle of boxing this up, sending it back, and ordering a new system.

Hey, I bought Asus G75VW-AS71 too, from amazon. I've had the same DPC latency problem, with sound and video stuttering. It can happen with i'm playing any game or even when i'm watching a video in youtube. But for me, I think the problem is the nvidia GTX 660 driver. When I disable it, the latency goes back to 100-200 micro seconds. I've been semi-depressed because of this problem for the last week.
I wasn't expecting these problems from "the ultimate fighting machine".
See the pictures below. Can anyone please help? Can I return it??

kif
05-30-2012, 02:06 AM
Hey, I bought Asus G75VW-AS71 too, from amazon. I've had the same DPC latency problem, with sound and video stuttering. It can happen with i'm playing any game or even when i'm watching a video in youtube. But for me, I think the problem is the nvidia GTX 660 driver. When I disable it, the latency goes back to 100-200 micro seconds. I've been semi-depressed because of this problem for the last week.
I wasn't expecting these problems from "the ultimate fighting machine".
See the pictures below. Can anyone please help? Can I return it??

If you read the thread form beggining you find many opinions.

Still the MAJOR fix is removing Mc Afee.

Try it and post you'r findings.

Hope it helps

Leon2101
05-30-2012, 02:17 AM
OPS! Didn't realize that there was more than 2 pages here =P

Well, after I finished reading all 9 pages, I felt so relieved that I wasn't the only one with this problem. But I suffered I whole week with this problem without any solution. Asus, I'm very disappointed.

After reading blixels latest post about overall opinion of asus g75, i'm having seconds thoughts.. maybe I should return it and buy something else, maybe MSI.

But first, I'm going to do as blixel suggested and uninstall mcafee and see how it goes. I'll post the result later.

brievolz84
05-30-2012, 03:53 AM
well, the MacAfee trial ended and I have uninstalled it. I then installed Comodo Internet Security (free). Since then, I haven't had any audio shutters or screen freezes and I've been on battery and power outlet. I haven't played a game yet but streaming video and listening to music haven't caused the problems listed in this thread.

Hopefully this did solve the problem!

_
05-30-2012, 05:10 AM
OPS! Didn't realize that there was more than 2 pages here =P

Well, after I finished reading all 9 pages, I felt so relieved that I wasn't the only one with this problem. But I suffered I whole week with this problem without any solution. Asus, I'm very disappointed.

After reading blixels latest post about overall opinion of asus g75, i'm having seconds thoughts.. maybe I should return it and buy something else, maybe MSI.

But first, I'm going to do as blixel suggested and uninstall mcafee and see how it goes. I'll post the result later.

Uninstall McAfee Trial an install Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free. There is also an audio update on the product page if you need.

Holy
05-30-2012, 05:14 AM
the audio update works better ty marshall. (not relevant with the spikes) except the sub now randomly drops.

Leon2101
05-30-2012, 03:50 PM
Uninstall McAfee Trial an install Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free. There is also an audio update on the product page if you need.

1. Good news, no video/audio spikes or stuttering after I uninstalled McAfee. I am now using MS essentials. I had 3-4 yellow spikes before, but don't see any of them now. I'm still going to run DPC latency for a few days and see how it goes.

2. Do you mean the VIA high definition audio update version 6.0.1.10400 ??

3. Another question, do you know what normal motherboard and CPU temperatures should be on? With normal, light use?

4. Marshall, i'd be nice if asus gave us an explanation for this problem soon, so that we can be careful not to trigger the same problem in the future.

eugene.nelson
05-31-2012, 09:35 AM
I have just purchased this computer at BestBuy and I must say I was disappointed when it stopped working correctly. My computer was lagging and my friend who has this same computer has no problems. I play Diablo III, TERA, and SWTOR and all the games were unplayable because of what I call lag and I guess you guys call latency. I took into consideration all the advice here and uninstalled the free Anti-Virus that was given to me by BestBuy for buying the computer. The computer did not have an anti-virus installed before I used it. After the uninstall I saw 200% improvement. Now my problem is that when not connected to the power outlet I can not get a good game to run. It seems as if it is too much for the battery to run the games correctly as is. So if I want to run a game I must be plugged in. A nuisance at the least. I now have installed Microsoft Security Essentials and it seems to be running fine and even Diablo III runs much better. I thank all those who suffered before me to help me fix this. If anything is ever done to fix this anti-virus problem it would be great.

john_from_ohio
05-31-2012, 10:40 AM
If anything is ever done to fix this anti-virus problem it would be great.

Sounds like a McAffee problem ... nothing that asus can do about it. The anti virus stuff runs at a very low level and if it is not programmed well ... bad karma ...

You can choose Norton Antivirus at best buy instead of McAffee ... not sure why so many people are ending up here ... is best buy pushing the other option or choosing it as a default if people do not specify what they want?

Knobblet
06-03-2012, 03:46 PM
No updates? I reinstalled to windows 7 pro and installed all drivers from the cd and updated the ones that were available on the site still got the problem tho, this is without mcaffee antivirus altho inactivating the WLAN does seem to fix the problem.

I'm not a fan of sending back stuff to have it repaired, so should I just wait for driver updates or just send it back and get a new one, which again might have the same problem?

whiskeyjaxx
06-05-2012, 01:02 AM
I just purchased this notebook and loaded all my games and started playing and nothing plays well...the latency and stuttering is terrible. I followed all the advice listed in this thread and nothing has improved my gameplay whatsoever. With the number of issues people seem to be having with this I hope driver updates are soon to be released...?

aaarrrggghhh
06-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Same problem. Tried all the fixes in this thread and still encountering the same issues. :(

leeayon
06-15-2012, 03:39 PM
Just signed to this forum for this specific problem I having like everyone else with the best buy G75VW best buy model with 660m

Issue:
1) Videos started to slow down after 20-30 minutes or less happens random audio seems fine but video started to lag behind colors started changing green to red and distorsion , restarting the computer fixed the issue but started again after a while .

Fixes tried:
1) Unistalled all codecs packs I had (k-lite codec pack) just leave VLC player seems to have helped but still having problems
1) Unistalled antivirus that best buy gave me ( kaspesky) intalled windows essencial antivirus helped for a while but started again .

I havent tried many games only mass effect 3 and mafia 2 ..mass effect 3 runs awesome ...mafia 2 lags a lot I think it has something to do with the video driver my guess ..

Everything else seems fine just the wierd sound settings not affecting audio volumens for players

Im checking this forums everyday for a fix ..I love this laptop its my dream I saved money for many years ...it is very expensive for someone like me and I cannot easily return it since I live in Mexico ....hopefully its only a fixeable driver issue and not a manufacturing defect please all the support is welcome . thanks

Woots
06-16-2012, 09:57 PM
For everyone who has these graphics lag spikes... are you fully plugged? Also did you set windows battery settings set to max peformance while on AC power (if not take the time to make sure you have max power settings under AC)?

I notice (this laptop and others) all behave poorly on pure battery operation... most of it has to do with how much power is goin to the cpu/gpu.

On this G75 I was playing diablo 3 on battery power during 1st week of ownership and I noticed horrible lag spikes in the game. The second I plug the laptop AC power in, the game gets silky smooth and flawless.

kiba
06-17-2012, 10:58 PM
also, uninstalling/disabling ASUS' Akamai Web Interface solved this problem for mine, and a coworkers G75's

leeayon
06-18-2012, 03:42 PM
Mine its plug in , high perfomance mode , I had this issues even with out the Akami Web interface I think it has nothing to do with this issues , like disabling the antivirus or deleting it only fixed temporary but it comes back , happens most frecuently with HD videos , normal youtube videos or any flash doesnt seems to be affected by this latency issue . also it happens more if I view it from VLC , video starts to lag with VLC but if I open the same video in the normal windows player the video runs ok but only for a few minutes before it start to lag again and I have to restard ...

dstrakele
06-18-2012, 04:04 PM
It's possible other drivers may be contributing to DPC Latency on your system. Run DPC Latency Checker and see if that's the case.

What version video driver are you currently running?

Leon2101
06-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Mine its plug in , high perfomance mode , I had this issues even with out the Akami Web interface I think it has nothing to do with this issues , like disabling the antivirus or deleting it only fixed temporary but it comes back , happens most frecuently with HD videos , normal youtube videos or any flash doesnt seems to be affected by this latency issue . also it happens more if I view it from VLC , video starts to lag with VLC but if I open the same video in the normal windows player the video runs ok but only for a few minutes before it start to lag again and I have to restard ...

Hey, I understand your problem, because I experienced exactly the same problem with HD video and vlc player. What I did was uninstalling the McAfee antivirus AND I uninstalled the original Nvidia graphics driver(295 version) and installed the newer version - "Nvidia graphics driver 296.44 (which in available on asus suport or even on this site.) After these two changes, my DPC latency went down to average 150. It never spiked above 1000 us(micro seconds).

Let me know if this worked. All the best.

leeayon
06-22-2012, 03:19 PM
Hey, I understand your problem, because I experienced exactly the same problem with HD video and vlc player. What I did was uninstalling the McAfee antivirus AND I uninstalled the original Nvidia graphics driver(295 version) and installed the newer version - "Nvidia graphics driver 296.44 (which in available on asus suport or even on this site.) After these two changes, my DPC latency went down to average 150. It never spiked above 1000 us(micro seconds).

Let me know if this worked. All the best.

Thanks for your reply , so far I updated the video drivers to the new verde 308.48 beta and I used all kind of videos yesterday all day , so far no lag or latency issues only a little but not enoght to freeze the videos , everything seems to be working ok now on this awesome laptop , now if we could only fix the subwoofer....one thing at the time I guess : ) thank you I let you guys if I see something else , oh btw If I disable the wi-fI , latency goes way down maybe that driver its also affecting the latency of this model not sure .

Blackened
06-24-2012, 12:08 PM
i ve got also 304.38 beta verde drivers, but this unstability is still there. i ve discovered, that it has somethin to do with the wireless card. When i ve disabled it in device manager ( 2x Atheros smt), there was no lags or unstability.

Playing BF3:

Wireless Card device enabled: http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/4473/beznzvugz.png

Wireless Card device disabled:http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/6148/beznzvudd.png

dstrakele
06-24-2012, 04:44 PM
Until the Atheros 9.2.1.432 and later version drivers were released for the AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Adapter that shipped with the G74SX, the available Atheros drivers had bad DPC Latency that caused many issues with that model. It looks like you will also need to find a better Atheros driver version for the AR9245 that ships with the new G series. Unfortunately, the latency-free Atheros 9.2.1.470 driver does not support the Atheros card in the new laptops.

sneek_001
06-24-2012, 05:15 PM
Thanks all... I was looking to purchase a G75VW this week here in Australia and I am very glad I came here first. I will certainly not be getting one after reading all of this, I just cannot justify spending nearly $2500.00 on a machine with obvious flaws and from the looks of things ASUS have issues with servicing their customers, especially their high end customers.

Thanks again for tasking the time to give clear definitions of the problems you're all having and what you have tried to do in fixing them. Considering I was only getting the G75 to play the latest games due to the claim of awesome graphics and sound it is a real let down to be reading that it does not seem to live up to their claims.

Liquidus
06-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Thanks all... I was looking to purchase a G75VW this week here in Australia and I am very glad I came here first. I will certainly not be getting one after reading all of this, I just cannot justify spending nearly $2500.00 on a machine with obvious flaws and from the looks of things ASUS have issues with servicing their customers, especially their high end customers.

Thanks again for tasking the time to give clear definitions of the problems you're all having and what you have tried to do in fixing them. Considering I was only getting the G75 to play the latest games due to the claim of awesome graphics and sound it is a real let down to be reading that it does not seem to live up to their claims.

You know, that means you most certainly won't be getting ANY electronic equipment WHATSOEVER if you read forum posts about it being bad.

The majority of people that post on forums are the small percentage of people that do have a bad batch of hardware. You're probably wondering why the people that have the good, working g75's or g55's aren't posting.. because they don't need to. They're enjoying their purchase.

What obvious flaws are you talking about? We've already established the audio problems were because of the software, and have been solved with the latest beta drivers.

Or are you talking about problems with the wireless card? I've had them too, but again, a simple driver update ( google Win7_Z920480 or just Z920480) resolved any incompatibility with my router or reduced performance.

Or perhaps, you're referring to the stuttering that takes place in games. Yes, this happened to me too. No big deal, I just had to uninstall the McCafe software, and viola, everything got fixed.

Regardless, this laptop did have a few quirks at the beginning, but after using some common-sense, and a little bit of research I managed to solve all of my problems. This is true for any computer, to get the performance you want, you have to fine-tune it by yourself.

Sure, you can say ASUS should have had this fixed from the start, but a majority of their issues were from other companies' parts or software. They probably should have quality-checked them beforehand, but I can't complain since they are currently pressuring them to fix their issues (such as getting official fixes out for the sound audio).

Anyway, I don't regret investing on my laptop at all. Wouldn't be surprised if I had more problems from some other brand.

eburns5543
06-24-2012, 11:51 PM
I agree with the last post. I enjoy my new G75 and will wait for the sond fix.

leeayon
06-25-2012, 09:05 PM
Same here , its a great laptop not perfect but still is the best money/performance ratio you can buy right now and maybe for a while , and also I dont think your going to get a community like this with any other brand .

Bundy_Drop_Bear
07-09-2012, 09:50 AM
I got this laptop on Friday(I'm Australian) and I have been having the same screen flickering problem and low volume on audio HD deck, yet in games the sound is way higher than in desktop and I have done a restore of the system which has removed the Anti-virus and I still get the flickering every 01-20 seconds.

I have tried every thing in this thread and nothing has worked yet.

So I like many in here are waiting for Asus/Nvidia to release drivers for the, 670m card and updated drivers from VIA.
I even tried suggestions in another thread that suggested trying the realtek audio drivers but as that i kept getting a windows popup say the drivers were compatible or something I just gave up. WMA audio is louder than the HD audio Deck control center which is rather strange.

Edit: Have just uninstalled McAfee and will post if the flickering is gone.

I will monitor this thread for updates.

Saosinner
07-10-2012, 05:29 AM
Firstly, thank you baby jesus for this thread. I thought I was just having incredibly bad luck until I decided to hop over here to the forums and do some research.

In the past week, I've had 2 asus ROG's. Fist was the G55, now I have the G75VW-FS71.

I exchanged the G55 because I was having these exact issues; massive in game spikes, graphic glitches, audio studdering/screeching. So literally today, I go an return it, this time I leave with the G75 (I wanted the GTX 670. Yes I know it's old tech, but, it performs better, and Asus is keeping it cool np ;D).

SO, here I go, unboxxing, excited, ready to re-download my games and test it out etc etc. In the meantime, I decide to watch some youtube videos while doing so. Low and behold, a screech and studder. "God damnit", I say, "what the ef is wrong with these laptops?!". You would think that paying 1500 bucks for a laptop, you'd be free from issues like this, however I do keep in mind that it is brand new. I've read every page of the thread, got the monitor, and of course was getting massive spikes while browsing youtube and what not.

I uninstall Mcbadfee, uninstalled Asus LiveUpdate, Asus Vibe, and updated the audio driver to the one Marshall mentioned (http://usa.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G75VW/#download) for referance.

Problems seem to have disappeared. Laptop is running around 60-65c (both cpu and gpu) while gaming, no audio screeches, no gpu glitches, just pure goodness the way it was supposed to be. I will update this if something unexpected happens.

Kamil
07-11-2012, 02:46 AM
I haven't tested over a long period of time, but turning off just the McAfee firewall, leaving everything else at default settings, seemed to make the stutter go away. The problem is that it seems to be impossible to use any other firewall without completely uninstalling McAfee anyway, so unless you want to take that sort of risk better just uninstall and get something different.

And the problem is DEFINITELY McAfee. I've checked the resource monitor and the stutters are matched perfectly with very short periods of 100% CPU usage, and while the slowdown doesn't last long enough to actually register on the "current CPU usage" info, all McAfee related processes and services have their average shift from 0.01% CPU usage to 3% CPU usage immediately after the stutter.

Xonna
07-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Hello there.

First of all, I'd like to say I don't own G series notebook, but new N series. N76VZ-V2G-T1034V to be precise.
I bought it three days ago, and it was working like a charm. Today I experienced the exact same issue as stated in this topic.
After some time my mouse would stop and sound would stutter. Such a shame because sound on this machine is quite awesome, so of course I started to panic and search for solution before complaining to the seller.

It came with McAfee preinstalled, but I never suspected of it until I read this thread. I tried disabling wireless and ethernet cards, but it didn't help. Later on I read that deinstalling McAfee Antivirus helped some people. It also helped me. I'm running DPC Latency Checker ever since I rebooted and it didn't even cross that yellow line.
I also noticed those spikes only today, after updating McAfee, so maybe the update triggered the issue.

Thank you very much for dealing with this problem and helping others to solve their issues.
I can't describe how happy I am to have my notebook working how it should be.
i just wanted to point out that not only G series have this problem, but also other new products from Asus.

armis71
07-20-2012, 11:30 AM
FIXED!!!!

Have been using my G75 for a week and just today noticed when I started playing music that it stutters intermittently. Disabled McAfee "Real-Time Scanning" and "Firewall" (for good measure) and no more spikes and distorted audio. I would recommend Windows Essentials for antivirus and shore up the built-in firewall in Windows.

Thanks for the help!

abdo6363
07-21-2012, 02:34 PM
Finally, I fixed the problem of random audio and graphics spike in my Asus G75VW laptop, I uninstalled the Stupid McAfee and all the sudden my laptop becomes a LEGEND again......Woooho :)

Batrez
08-07-2012, 07:38 PM
I just bought this laptop and had the same problem. I ran a latency program to confirm that there is a problem and started troubleshooting. After a days work I came to the conclution that the WIFI card is faulty or the wireless network driver isn't compatible with the system.

After an extended period of trying to solve the driver problem with no good luck I applied for the right of withdrawal and bought another Asus G75vw.

My test period using the latency program with wireless off lasted 16hours with the highest peak: 5000qm
My test period using the latency program with wireless on lasted 4hours with the highest peak: 285 000qm

I just sent a mail to Atheros informing them off the problem and trying to find a fix to it for future buyers of this computer.

c_man
08-07-2012, 07:49 PM
I never had this. Looks like there are new drivers http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?20076-New-WLAN-and-LAN-Drivers-for-the-G75!&country=&status=

oatsmonkey
09-01-2012, 02:45 AM
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has actually found a permanent solution to the lag spike issue while the power cord is unplugged?

So far I have tried every suggestion on this thread, including a complete re-installation of windows and all the asus drivers.

I will continue looking for some other solutions. Would be grateful for any help provided.

Smithx
09-05-2012, 01:59 PM
This problem solves with the power supply connected to the laptop

Perret
09-08-2012, 08:06 AM
For those of you that still have a problem with random spikes (I haven't noticed it yet, but haven't really had time to use my G75 that much since I purchased it), try running a program called LatencyMon instead of DPC Latency Checker. You can find it here:
http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

This will give you more detailed information about the actual cause of the spikes. Just check the drivers section to get a list of drivers with detailed information about DPC lag.

Einari33
09-08-2012, 09:02 AM
Hi.

I had the exact same problem with my Asus G75vW-1031t (Finnish version I think). The issue seems to occur in almost every G75's with GTX 670m GPU. Especially when watching a movie or playing heavy games like Skyrim or Gta IV, the audio stuttered and the image freezed once in a while. Also I had internet connection problems as well.
Here's what I did:

1. Reinstall windows completely (Windows auto-updates f**ks up your machine really bad if you have them on with ASUS live updates)
-DO NOT let windows install updates automatically. (Even if they're important)
-Use the factory settings option in Control Panel>Recovery>Advanced recovery Methods. (This will delete all your files from the drive your OS is installed on, copy your important files and works to other drive)

2. Downlad the latest drivers from the internet
-Don't use the disc that came with your G75
-Always keep your AUDIO drivers up to date! (The audio drivers that are installed in the G75 driver disc are faulty, do not install them)

You need to do both steps to get this work. After reinstalling windows the problem may still exist, but after updating your audio and video drivers, it shouldn't.

Hope this works for you :)

Speedycat3
09-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Uninstalling Mcaffee did the trick.
Thanks for the help.
G75VW DS72 GTX670M 16GB ram

Phillywilly117
09-26-2012, 07:19 AM
Mine did it very rarely and I never really thought much about it but then it started getting worse ( now does it 3-4 every hour and like people said you don't really notice it unless you have some sort of sound playing through your speakers). I'm going to try some of these suggestions and see if I can't fix this crap now. I find it hard to believe so many people are having problems with this awesome computer.

foresthunter
10-19-2012, 08:16 PM
Hey guys

I have a K52J notebook and I have the same problem as Blixel had (the guy posting the spike lag). I dont have McAfee though and as of today I reinstalled windows and the problem still remains plus all my drivers are up to date. It is impossible to play games seriously or watching videos. Did anyone come up with a good solution for this problem, except for uninstall McAfee? Was laughing so hard when I was watching that video btw, didnīt know if it was mine or his computer that spiked xD. Anyway this problem isnt new, I have had my computer for about 1.5 years and the problem comes in different periods so itīs really strange. If anyone got a solution for this problem please reply to this post.

Best regards

Oskar

Pockets
10-24-2012, 04:47 AM
Running a G75VW, the problem with lag spikes and stuttering was only about once a day when I first began using the laptops but soon it was "freezing" about once a minute, if not more.

I disabled my sound and network drivers, amongst many other things and had no luck. Uninstalled McAfee as many suggested in this thread and the problem seems to have been completely resolved. No lag spikes, even under stress testing. Now a happy G75 owner and not likely to introduce my laptop to a nearby wall.

Jagheter
11-20-2012, 12:30 PM
MODEL: G75VW

This is what I did to get rid of in-game lag spikes, as well as the annoying sound glitch.

1 - Uninstall McAfee
2 - Restart
3 - Visit http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en
- Download Latest BIOS (Updated Version For Me Was 220)
- Download Latest Audio Driver
- Download Latest Video Driver (From NVIDIA or AMD)
4 - Unzip You BIOS to C:\Windows\ASUS (Create a Folder to Put The Files In)
- Install Latest Audio and Video Drivers
5 - Restart the System; As its Restarting SPAM the "F2" Key
- Look For Flash BIOS Utlility in BIOS Options
- Flash BIOS; Locate C:\Windows\ASUS\(FOLDER U CREATED) Then Select The BIOS File
- Let it update; probably will restart after.
6 - Allow to fully boot; then RESTART again.
- SPAMM "F2" key
- Then Locate "Restore Defaults" in BIOS
- Select it; then save and EXIT

Then enjoy a bug free G75VW; mines a beast.

My Latest Drivers/BIOS:
-Audio: Via Audio Driver Version V6.0.01.10600
-Video: NVIDIA 306.97 (GeForce GTX 670M)
-BIOS: BIOS 221

Hope it works for you!

The_Jackal
11-27-2012, 02:18 AM
Hi,

I've been waiting for these issues to settle down before I buy a G75VW. How have previous posters in the forum been going? Many people still have unresolved issues?

I'm still keen, but from the issues I've seen here and in other places it's been a long haul to get even a few fixes - with about zero help from ASUS - just from the persistent and talented users here.

Obviously there must be many happy users who had no issues (or they can bare them)??

I could live with a wrinkle two, but I don't have six months to spend fiddling to get something to work that should be operational out of the box.

My main concerns are:
- wifi: dropouts / poor range (I'm not going to void the warranty to install a new card, but could get an external adapter)
- Flickering screens (this would be a deal breaker)
- Lag spikes (still can see a few ppl who claim uninstalling the antivirus didn't help)
- Poor quality repairs / help from ASUS (sounds like part of the package)

Can't really see a great alternative machine either - just the Clevos (only 2 suppliers) / MSI GT60/70 or Alienware ($$).

Let me know your thoughts... Any ASUS reps got a comment to help win a sale?

Douglasartor
12-04-2012, 02:19 AM
I have the asus g75vw and the graphic card issue. When I play any game (wow, need for speed most wanted, assassins creed...), or a graphic application (photoshop), or a type here in this forum (yeah, right know its happening, but just on internet explorer, I think somehow it uses the graphic card), I got spikes in the screen. In the games I see like black thunders, spikes and black spots appearing and desappearing in the screen. I have runned the Heaven DX11 Benchmark 3.0 and seen that the issues are contourned by the "wires" when you press f2. It's like a renderization problem.
See that the problem is not the game enviroment. Everything runs fine, like a pro... No lag issues. This looks like to be a great machine, except for this black spots that keep appearing and desappearing at the screen when the notebook uses the graphic card.
I have reinstalled windows 7, installed windows 8, unistalled all drivers and programs and nothing solved the problem. Except for when I unnistall the nvida drivers... but then I lost the graphic card popperties, of course. I installed the newer bios and the nvidia newer beta version and nothing changed.
I sent the notebook to asus support and they changed the Hard Disk, can you believe it? Of course nothing changed! How can they return back my notebook without testing it and changing something that has nothing to do with it?
I'm sending it back to asus support tomorrow, hopeless.
I decided to wrote here to this forum to people see the problem is to buy this ASUS g75 and to see if Marshal or other asus experts could have some ideia to fix this problem. Its really hard to buy a notebook expecting to be at least good and happen things like that...
How can I say to asus support that when I have a graphic card problem the graphic card must be changed and not the Hard Disk!!! What a shame...

Wotanik
03-05-2013, 11:51 AM
I solved the spikes issue with nVidia Powermizer Manager in my G75VW (the spikes were caused by nVidia drivers in my case). There's an option to disable the GPU throttling while on battery/plugged in. I also use TimerResolution which cuts the DPC Latency in half. Both work on Windows 8.

I also disabled wi-fi and bluetooth drivers as I don't use them.

ASUS should give us some BIOS update so we can disable the CPU and GPU throttling as it's not working at the moment.

Fatalsugar
03-23-2013, 04:29 PM
Uninstalled McAfee and no more sound stutter or fps drops for me, it's a great laptop.
EDIT: Never mind, after a couple of days the stuttering is back... Damnit!

BULLD0G
05-04-2013, 04:50 AM
So I haven't had this G75VX for a solid week, the first day it ran very smoothly, was impressed.

Ever since then I thought I was getting lag spikes several times an hour, so I used a latency checker only to realize I apparently had no lag spikes at all, but that I was always in the yellow. This made absolutely no sense to me. The games that play are not very demanding, and while reading this thread alone with nothing else running except Teamspeak, I have been lagged out of TS 3 times.

Since then I have updated all drivers I can possibly locate. My laptop never had McAffee on it in the first place which honestly made me a little jealous of all the people that resolved their issues by uninstalling it.

I am desperate for a fix that will resolve this, and why has ASUS not addressed this issue?!

aarruda
06-19-2013, 03:17 AM
Hello, I have this problem too spike/stutter/distorted sound/music and i dont play no one games. I use only the internet explorer and facebook. I have the Notebook Asus G75VW with 16gb RAM SSD256 GTX 670 WINDOWS8. I already update my bios to latest version I uninstalled the mcafee and i installed the lates sound driver from asus website and i still have sound lag/distroted when i am playing some music in media player.
Plaese help me. I boght this notebook 04 March 2013.
ps: when i was using the latest nvidia video driver my system was crashing using my HDMI port with my tv, then i uninstalled this driver (and i recovered the system too and installed the system from zero, i dont installed the latest nvidia driver, BUT SOUND PROBLEM it is one problem!)

fast3xx
09-23-2013, 09:15 AM
I can by 99.9 % say it is McAfee that are the reason to this. Since I reinstalled my computer I had these spikes once more but just like then, when I removed McAfee they disssapeared.

Perret
10-28-2013, 10:34 PM
For those of you with stuttering audio problems, try updating the LAN driver (I have a G75VW with the Atheros 8151 chipset). This was the one major cause of stuttering audio for me, regardless of whether the LAN was being used or not. It would also cause spikes that would appear as if the NVIDIA drivers were doing something wrong, but those disappeared after I updated the LAN drivber.

Disabling the LAN adapter would also help, but then I would get issues with various audio software (e.g. Waves plugins) thinking it now was a different computer due to hardware ID changes when disabling the LAN driver.

So, try the latest drivers directly from Qualcomm: http://www.atheros.com/corporate/content.php?nav1=146

Staticnova
10-14-2015, 11:43 PM
hey guys i've had this g 751 jl laptop from asus only a week. but i've notice serious spikes on video,audio and mouse lag as well. i'm not sure whats making my brand new laptop do this but i have to say i'm severely disappointed in asus as of right now. downloaded latency driver and a get red repeatedly. i'm currently looking to update my drivers. McAfee was removed the day i got it. replaced with Norton 360. every time i watch a video or play a game i have the same issues. and its not exclusive to just those. i could have nothing running just the os and on the desktop i'll scroll side to side and notice the lag with the mouse is there so the issue is there where i'm not playing anything as well.