PDA

View Full Version : Question?????

440hsp
05-14-2012, 01:18 PM
Ok guys this isn't necessarily a problem with my laptop. I just have a question for all you tech savvy gurus on here. Can one of you explain to me (in simple detail lolol) how to move things like my steam,origin,and windows games, and my music files like i-tunes to my d-drive so i can have some space on my c-drive and still be able to use them regularly. Here's the deal. After getting my ssd installed and deleting a bunch of files that i didn't need anymore i had about 115 to 120 gb free on my 256gb ssd. now that i installed a few games i only have 85.5 gb free now. Hell, batman arkham city is 16.5gb by itself. Geese!!. Now i'm sitting here looking at 700gb of unused space that i could be using and i don't know how to get it there. BTW i have watched a few videos and read some too on this but still unsure on how to do this correctly. If one of you guys on here could help a fellow ROG'ER (lolol) out it would be appreciated greatly.

thanks, 440hsp

dstrakele
05-14-2012, 02:46 PM
The time to choose on what drive a program's files will be stored is during installation. The installer will display a default install path and you can usually change it at that time. During the installation, entries will be made to the Windows Registry referencing the chosen path.

Peregrine
05-14-2012, 03:19 PM
He is correct. You cannot move installed programs after the fact. You would need to uninstall and re-install your programs. Then choose a CUSTOM installation when prompted.
However you CAN move your iTunes library without a re-install...
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1449

dstrakele
05-14-2012, 03:47 PM
I have seen references to utilities that move programs and handle the registry changes. However, I've never used such a utility.

I'd certainly want to have sufficient backup to be able to restore my system to a "Pre-Move" state before using any such utility.

BrodyBoy
05-14-2012, 04:25 PM
Ok guys this isn't necessarily a problem with my laptop. I just have a question for all you tech savvy gurus on here. Can one of you explain to me (in simple detail lolol) how to move things like my steam,origin,and windows games, and my music files like i-tunes to my d-drive so i can have some space on my c-drive and still be able to use them regularly.
As previously mentioned, installed programs can't be easily moved. Although there are utilities that purport to do this, I wouldn't advise it.....for actual programs you really need to move, I'd recommend you uninstall them from the C: drive, then re-install to the D: drive.

Moving music files is easier....though iTunes does not make it necessarily easy or intuitive. Basically, you have a couple options. You can move both iTunes (the program itself) and your music files over to the D: drive. Or, you can leave iTunes on the C: drive and move your music library over to the D: drive.

Usually, you can re-coup adequate OS partition space by simply moving most of your data files over to another drive...there's no need to migrate programs as well. Then you set your program defaults to save data in library locations on the D: drive (rather than the current default libraries on your C: drive). This should keep your C: drive a manageable size.

PILGRIM
05-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Agree to all the reply posts. And if I may add, installing disk-space hogging games
on Drive C (OS drive) don't make the games any faster/better (or do they?)

In my experience, they just add up to the drive's used space.
And in due time, will fill up the OS drive's precious free space.
So, for me, I'd rather install all big programs into any other drive other than the OS drive.

xeromist
05-14-2012, 04:56 PM
I use Steam Mover to move games onto and off of my SSD.

440hsp
05-14-2012, 08:35 PM
So basically i can uninstall the games that are taking up so much space and reinstall them to the d drive. Then go through the process of getting them up and running from the d drive? Any special process that i have to go through? Xeromist i will try steam mover also for my steam games too. Thank you.

BullSpit
05-14-2012, 09:22 PM
So basically i can uninstall the games that are taking up so much space and reinstall them to the d drive. Then go through the process of getting them up and running from the d drive? Any special process that i have to go through? Xeromist i will try steam mover also for my steam games too. Thank you.

Yes, as all the guys have stated above. I would suggest to use the back up utility in Steam to back up all of your installed games to external storage, such as an HDD. This will save time in not having to redownload them. Then uninstall Steam. (Probably be a good idea to make sure the uninstaller removed the Steam folder as well. If not, delete it.) It also would be good to use the registry cleaner in CCleaner. Then reinstall Steam and point the installer to D:\Program Files (X86)\Steam . Reinstall your games from the back ups and they will be on your D: drive. Steam mover works and works well, but I would suggest putting everything on D:. I have been using this method for about 3 years on several different PCs\notebooks all with SSDs.

440hsp
05-14-2012, 09:25 PM
Great. I have a 1tb external that i can use just for this purpose. Thank you guys. I'll get back to you once everything is done.

xeromist
05-14-2012, 10:02 PM
NOTE! SteamMover is NOT the same as the built in Steam back up utility. It is a stand alone program that uses something called file system Junctions to move and redirect calls to the file system. It works with anything, not just Steam and not just games.

I have all of my games installed on the D drive(platter drive) and then whatever I'm playing currently I use Steam Mover to move it to a temp folder on my C drive(SSD). If I stop playing the game regularly but don't want to uninstall it then I can just use Steam Mover to move it back to the slower drive and reclaim that space. Nothing additional is needed after moving and games work exactly the same as they did before a move (except faster when on SSD).

440hsp
05-14-2012, 11:34 PM
Hey Xeromist, do i need to make a temp file in my c drive before moving everything?

440hsp
05-15-2012, 12:47 AM
Nevermind. I made temp files of all my games whether it be from steam, games for windows, etc.etc. I'm going to move each one to their correct files on the d drive and we'll see what happens.

Peregrine
05-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Agree to all the reply posts. And if I may add, installing disk-space hogging games
on Drive C (OS drive) don't make the games any faster/better (or do they?)

Just want to reply here. You are correct Pilgrim. C or D makes no difference.

440hsp
05-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Well guys i guess i messed up somewhere during the transfer or i didn't make the temp files correctly or something else was wrong because on 2 seperate games it gave me a cmd error 5 i believe. So basically i just deleted the files after the errors and i'll worry about it next week when i get back from offshore. Internet is slow as he#% offshore. I have the one game i'm going to play on my ssd and it's only 4gb. No biggie. I did break the cardinal rule though and i didn't back up the games that messed up so that's why i wont worry about reinstalling the games until i get home.