PDA

View Full Version : Hard Disk Partition Question-Where is the rest of the space?

anvancy
05-14-2012, 03:56 PM
Hey Guys.

I have the G53SW and had a question of the Hard disk partition. the HDD being 750GB I see only 673GB. I think I read that the recovery partition takes 25GB but then where is the rest? We still have a difference of 52GB. The current partitions are 279GB and 394GB.

Is it safe to delete the recovery partition?

Thanks

Anvancy

BrodyBoy
05-14-2012, 04:16 PM
Hey Guys.

I have the G53SW and had a question of the Hard disk partition. the HDD being 750GB I see only 673GB. I think I read that the recovery partition takes 25GB but then where is the rest? We still have a difference of 52GB. The current partitions are 279GB and 394GB.

Is it safe to delete the recovery partition?

Thanks

Anvancy
If you want to keep a copy of the original installation, you would need to make a set of recovery disks (with the AI Recovery Burner utility) before deleting the recovery partition. If you don't, you'd lose the back-up of your paid-for-copy of Window (and the whole OEM installation) forever. Beyond that, it is "safe" to delete the partition, but just doing that will not recover that space for you. Windows won't use space before its own partition on the disk, so you would need to essentially move your installation to actually regain that space. This is doable, but it's more involved than just deleting the partition.

As for "missing" space, this is typical. Windows reserves some disk space for its own internal housekeeping. On a 750Gb hard drive, a typical user will get around 698Gb of usable space.

xeromist
05-14-2012, 04:55 PM
The usable capacity of a formatted drive is always smaller than the advertised capacity and it has nothing to do with Windows. This has been the case for decades so it's unlikely to change. It's due to a combination of formatting overhead and creative/alternative math based on powers of two.

anvancy
05-14-2012, 05:10 PM
If you want to keep a copy of the original installation, you would need to make a set of recovery disks (with the AI Recovery Burner utility) before deleting the recovery partition. If you don't, you'd lose the back-up of your paid-for-copy of Window (and the whole OEM installation) forever. Beyond that, it is "safe" to delete the partition, but just doing that will not recover that space for you. Windows won't use space before its own partition on the disk, so you would need to essentially move your installation to actually regain that space. This is doable, but it's more involved than just deleting the partition.

As for "missing" space, this is typical. Windows reserves some disk space for its own internal housekeeping. On a 750Gb hard drive, a typical user will get around 698Gb of usable space.

I dont want to lose the paid Windows. I think Ill stick with the current situation.

Thanks for the prompt response.

Anvancy

BrodyBoy
05-14-2012, 10:40 PM
I dont want to lose the paid Windows. I think Ill stick with the current situation.

Thanks for the prompt response.

Anvancy
Just wanted to take a minute to clarify, in case I confused the issue:

You don't lose the Windows license you paid for if you delete the recovery partition. But without either the recovery partition or the set of recovery DVDs, you lose your "emergency back-up" of the OEM installation. This is what you would use if you ever need to do a factory restore of your computer. (A factory restore does just what it sounds like....it restores your computer to its original, out-of-the-box software setup. This can be handy if things get really messed up.)