PDA

View Full Version : Clicking sounds with new Phoebus

theoks
05-15-2012, 02:27 AM
Hi,

Noticed 2 quirks with this sound card:

1) Completed installation without any issue. However, my card will give a distorted loud "click" sound from my front speakers, especially after my system has been silent for a while. The first sound (e.g. Windows sound when you make a selection) will be the distorted loud click. I can reproduce it quite consistently.

2) There is a "click" sound always upon boot, specifically just before my keyboard get detected. Also there will be a click sound upon shutdown. It sounds like a switch being turned on. Is this a behavior peculiar to this card, or is there some other issue? I have not used a sound card that click on boot and shutdown...

Using on a ASUS P7P55DE-Pro mainboard.

Raja@ASUS
05-15-2012, 06:14 AM
Hi,

1) Not had this myself, what kind of speakers do you have connected to the card and using what output and audio settings (bit rate and freq)?

2) This is normal, relays clicking "on" when drivers are loaded, nothing to worry about.

-Raja

theoks
05-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Hi Raja,

Thanks for the speedy reply.
I am using Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers.
Current setting is using analogue connection, 44.1 KHz, 16 bits.
Win 7 64bit.

Tried reinstalling the software a few time, still the same (almost) random clicks.
Getting irritating to hear the distorted clicks.

Raja@ASUS
05-16-2012, 09:38 AM
Hi Raja,

Thanks for the speedy reply.
I am using Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers.
Current setting is using analogue connection, 44.1 KHz, 16 bits.
Win 7 64bit.

Tried reinstalling the software a few time, still the same (almost) random clicks.
Getting irritating to hear the distorted clicks.

If using analogue can you isolate which output is passing/causing the clicks? If you have a digital connection can you try that as well please?

I am using AE AEGO 2.1 for front stereo audio out and my headphones on the HP out. Neither of these click at all in my system, so it has to be something within your system causing it.

-Raja

thegovernment
05-19-2012, 01:21 AM
The snapping was in both my systems that the driver would install on in analog. edifier S500 and klipsch pro media 5.1. It is pretty loud. I tired it in digital in my HT and it didn't make any noise.

rombat
05-19-2012, 04:27 PM
Try setting your sample to 24Bits instead of 16Bits and see if the click sound goes away when your select sound plays.

thegovernment
05-19-2012, 05:26 PM
Well, my card got RMA'd but it didn't make any difference what anything was set to, I mucked around with it for 3 days before I sent it back. Whenever you opened say winamp or any kind of player, it would snap whenever a new source would be found. Kinda sucks, out of the 4 people i personally know, 3 have sent the card back :( because of this and other issues. I hope they fix the issues soon as the card sounded good and looked awesome in my case.

theoks
05-22-2012, 03:15 PM
Raja,

The sound seems to come from the front left channel.
Setting as 2.1 system, no click. Once I set to 5.1, the clicking comes.
Incidentally, I tried uninstalling the asus driver also, win7 then installs a default driver for a "high definition audio device".
No clicks using this windows default driver....

Rombat,

Thanks for the advice. I set my sample rate as 192kHz, 24bit. Seems that the clicking is gone.
Still under monitoring.

Seems that the software package needs lots of user trial and error to function properly.... this should not be the case...quite disappointing that I have to go through all these for a high end card.

Might I also add, that there is a loud "boom" occasionally whenever I power up my system with the speakers on. This has never happened on my old X-Fi card.

Now why is this card scaring me with loud clicks and booms........:rolleyes:

dedaciai
05-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Raja,

The sound seems to come from the front left channel.
Setting as 2.1 system, no click. Once I set to 5.1, the clicking comes.
Incidentally, I tried uninstalling the asus driver also, win7 then installs a default driver for a "high definition audio device".
No clicks using this windows default driver....

Rombat,

Thanks for the advice. I set my sample rate as 192kHz, 24bit. Seems that the clicking is gone.
Still under monitoring.

Seems that the software package needs lots of user trial and error to function properly.... this should not be the case...quite disappointing that I have to go through all these for a high end card.

Might I also add, that there is a loud "boom" occasionally whenever I power up my system with the speakers on. This has never happened on my old X-Fi card.

Now why is this card scaring me with loud clicks and booms........:rolleyes:

This is weird, I have just started notice the clicking sounds in my case too when I boot up or restart with this card. It is kind of scaring me too as I don't think sound cards are supposed to physically "click." I hope this does not mean it is going to go belly up on me. :-(

Xonar staff
05-29-2012, 07:21 AM
Hi, dedaciai,

The 'click' sound from your card is a special mechanism we designed to protect your speaker and headphones. As it's mechanical, you can hear the sound when you start or shut down your computer.

It's normal, no worries!

Hi, theoks,

We tested many 5.1 speakers and had no issue. The issues you encountered seem abnormal. Can you please fill up the bug report Raja just posted: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16027-Xonar-Bug-report-form&country=&status=
Our engineer team will try to replicate them and get back to you as soon as possible.

dedaciai
05-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Hi, dedaciai,

The 'click' sound from your card is a special mechanism we designed to protect your speaker and headphones. As it's mechanical, you can hear the sound when you start or shut down your computer.

It's normal, no worries!

Hi, theoks,

We tested many 5.1 speakers and had no issue. The issues you encountered seem abnormal. Can you please fill up the bug report Raja just posted: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16027-Xonar-Bug-report-form&country=&status=
Our engineer team will try to replicate them and get back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you so much for the response! I feel much better as I was just dreading to soon see smoke or a spark after hearing the click.