PDA

View Full Version : best settings for gaming

firekiller44
05-16-2012, 12:22 AM
Hi guys,

I just installed my phoebus and was checking out the setting, I'm a bit of a noob.

I do a lot of gaming on modern warfare 3 and was wondering if you guys can help me out: what are the settings to use for gaming ? dolby home theater v4 with the game tab?

should I enable dx button?

what does soundradar do?

Is there a tutorial that explains all the new stuff?

I had a xonar dx before and found that the best sound was with only dolby headphone enabled. My headphones are sennheiser pc350's.

Thanks!!

Raja@ASUS
05-16-2012, 07:02 AM
Hi,

GX enables EAX features, use with games that support it. Sound Radar works with GX to enhance front speaker effects. EAX isn't used much now so most titles won't see any change from either of these functions.

If you want to experiment with Dolby HT then use the Game preset with headphones, it adds a bit of depth.

-Raja

dedaciai
05-17-2012, 11:21 PM
Hi,

GX enables EAX features, use with games that support it. Sound Radar works with GX to enhance front speaker effects. EAX isn't used much now so most titles won't see any change from either of these functions.

If you want to experiment with Dolby HT then use the Game preset with headphones, it adds a bit of depth.

-Raja

I can attest to the Dolby HT Game preset. It rocks in my opinion. I can hear exactly where everything is and it's approximate distance relative to other sounds. Heck, I have been accused of hacking on BF3 a little more often now since I can here around what corners people are shooting from.

txfeinbergs
05-17-2012, 11:37 PM
This has to be the most complicated sound card I have owned. What are the disadvantages / advantages of cranking the sample rate to 192 Khz and 24 Bits vs lower settings? I am mainly using the sound card for gaming.

Also, the gaming preset in Dolby HT really doesn't seem like it enables much stuff by default i.e. equalizer settings all at neutral and no intelligent equalizer enabled. Also I noticed that the default has Surround Virtualizer on for both speaker and headphones, but the levels are set to minimum meaning it probaby isn't doing much.

txfeinbergs
05-17-2012, 11:42 PM
Sorry, another question. Red light on the control box. When it is lit, does that mean it is muted, or unmuted?

Raja@ASUS
05-18-2012, 03:13 AM
This has to be the most complicated sound card I have owned. What are the disadvantages / advantages of cranking the sample rate to 192 Khz and 24 Bits vs lower settings? I am mainly using the sound card for gaming.

Also, the gaming preset in Dolby HT really doesn't seem like it enables much stuff by default i.e. equalizer settings all at neutral and no intelligent equalizer enabled. Also I noticed that the default has Surround Virtualizer on for both speaker and headphones, but the levels are set to minimum meaning it probaby isn't doing much.

This really depends on the sampling rate of the source material. If it is a 16 bit 44.1KHz music then I tend to play back at that frequency - not a fan of upsampling myself. Of course, it also depends on what kind of attenuation one is using and the playback software. If however we are talking files recorded at higher sampling rates and game effects then using 24 bit makes sense.

As for your question on the red light, you can always plug some phones in and toggle between mute on/off to work that out. :D

Raja@ASUS
05-18-2012, 03:15 AM
I can attest to the Dolby HT Game preset. It rocks in my opinion. I can hear exactly where everything is and it's approximate distance relative to other sounds. Heck, I have been accused of hacking on BF3 a little more often now since I can here around what corners people are shooting from.

Yeah I tried that out with BF3, it is quite profound.

txfeinbergs
05-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Red light on is muted. I actually just hit the mute button from within the SW and the light came on.

SMiThaYe
05-26-2012, 09:46 PM
This really depends on the sampling rate of the source material. If it is a 16 bit 44.1KHz music then I tend to play back at that frequency - not a fan of upsampling myself. Of course, it also depends on what kind of attenuation one is using and the playback software. If however we are talking files recorded at higher sampling rates and game effects then using 24 bit makes sense.

:D

I prefer to hear sound as it was intended too.
What is the optimal sampling for most games on the Phoebus? I use 48KHz/24-bit for AAA+ titles (Batman series, BF3, CIV5, Mass Effect series), but unsure what exactly these titles are recorded at. Thanks.

txfeinbergs
05-27-2012, 03:40 AM
Would it be possible to add a box to "Play at original sampling rate". Is it possible for the driver to detect what the original sampling rate and bit depth was and just use that?

Jandenengelsman
06-02-2012, 05:06 PM

Hi!

I'm testing too for what the best sound will be on my headphone! Sennheiser PC360. The problem I have, is losing power in the sound when I turn on Dolby HT. The sound will be more detailed (specialy surrouning sounds) but when you shoot your own gun in mw3 or BF3 its really weak (also with explosions)! In Dolby HT I only ussed the volume eqeliser and 4sure not the surround virtualisator cause it looks like walking in a big hall. You guys got some more experience?

I think the best too play with is no suround programm at all, just set the impendantie on high to get a really powerfull and detailt sound.

Jan

dedaciai
06-02-2012, 06:12 PM
Hi!

I'm testing too for what the best sound will be on my headphone! Sennheiser PC360. The problem I have, is losing power in the sound when I turn on Dolby HT. The sound will be more detailed (specialy surrouning sounds) but when you shoot your own gun in mw3 or BF3 its really weak (also with explosions)! In Dolby HT I only ussed the volume eqeliser and 4sure not the surround virtualisator cause it looks like walking in a big hall. You guys got some more experience?

I think the best too play with is no suround programm at all, just set the impendantie on high to get a really powerfull and detailt sound.

Jan

Hi Jan,

With using the Dolby HT, I don't turn on the surround virtualizer or volume equalizer. I then used the preset to hear the highs a little beter since that is where the noises are predominately coming from regarding footsteps and I hate to be knifed :p Also, what is your gain setting on?

Raja@ASUS
06-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Keep the volume equalizer off for games. Volume equalization helps with some movies and speakers with mismatched gain where dialogue is too quiet compared to surround effects.

firekiller44
06-03-2012, 02:09 AM
I like it with volume leveler on just a bit, what is sound radar next to the gx button?

Raja@ASUS
06-03-2012, 08:23 AM
GX and Sound Radar are both EAX functions. Most games don't use either...

Jandenengelsman
06-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Hi Jan,

With using the Dolby HT, I don't turn on the surround virtualizer or volume equalizer. I then used the preset to hear the highs a little beter since that is where the noises are predominately coming from regarding footsteps and I hate to be knifed :p Also, what is your gain setting on?

Hey!

Tnx for the advise! In dolby HT i only use the graphic equalizer now, how do you think about the inteligent equalizer? On the second mode (open) when you boost high and low frequency i think it's oke..
The impendane of my headphone is 50ohm, but I put my gain settings on high 64-150ohm, I dont know why but when i put it on 0-64 ohm i'm losing so much power in the sound.

firekiller44
06-03-2012, 08:59 PM
So i just figured out something, I had the sound virtualiser on for speakers and headphone, i only use headphone, when I took it off for speaker and left it on for headphone the game (mw3) we get supper lagggy after about 10 min, I enabled it again for speaker and no problems.

you have to have it on for both even if you only use one.

lJReyl
06-14-2012, 06:25 AM
How do I configure the phoebus to take advantage of a razer tiamat 7.1?
I've never used a soundcard before...

Ellewah
06-18-2012, 03:27 AM
I've never used a soundcard before...

I also would like to know the best settings for Razer Tiamat 7.1, This is my first time using a soundcard too.

Raja@ASUS
06-18-2012, 07:05 AM
If I can get some Tiamat phones I will let you know. To be honest it can't be too hard to work out. :)

Ellewah
06-18-2012, 02:54 PM
If I can get some Tiamat phones I will let you know. To be honest it can't be too hard to work out. :)

Thank you for the quick reply Raja, i'll keep an eye on this thread for your recommendations.

Jandenengelsman
06-19-2012, 08:22 AM
Hi Guys,

After testing a while I dicide to not use Dolby HT again!

First of all, this sound cart dont need a dolby boost! second, its just a program between your ingame sound and output, so why trying to **** up the sound when you got a great sound card and some verry expensive heatset and speaker system?

I'll just play with the RAW sound how it's ment to be!!

Love

lJReyl
06-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Hi Guys,

After testing a while I dicide to not use Dolby HT again!

First of all, this sound cart dont need a dolby boost! second, its just a program between your ingame sound and output, so why trying to **** up the sound when you got a great sound card and some verry expensive heatset and speaker system?

I'll just play with the RAW sound how it's ment to be!!

Love

What set-up did you use with Dolby HT? I turned off surround and volume. I just left equalizer on and customized it. I think turning on HT upmixes the audio from 2.0 up to 7.1 even when surround isn't activated.

Jandenengelsman
06-19-2012, 05:09 PM
Yep i did the same, but sound what is 2.0 will never be 7.1, also my heatset is very detailed so i dont need it for that! But to equalize the sound its perfect!!

lJReyl
06-19-2012, 05:22 PM
Yep i did the same, but sound what is 2.0 will never be 7.1, also my heatset is very detailed so i dont need it for that! But to equalize the sound its perfect!!

Can anyone confirm that turning on HT will upmix the sound to 5.1/7.1 even when Surround Speakers and Headset are off?
I'm using a Razer Tiamat BTW.

Jandenengelsman
06-19-2012, 06:11 PM
Can anyone confirm that turning on HT will upmix the sound to 5.1/7.1 even when Surround Speakers and Headset are off?
I'm using a Razer Tiamat BTW.
Yeah i got your point, but what i mean, when the sound is 2.0 and mixed up to 7.1 and you hear it through all your speakers it still is send as 2.0 so the sound will be distorted anyway!
But its just how you tast the sound the best, that will be your settings!! :D

lJReyl
06-19-2012, 06:34 PM
Yeah i got your point, but what i mean, when the sound is 2.0 and mixed up to 7.1 and you hear it through all your speakers it still is send as 2.0 so the sound will be distorted anyway!
But its just how you tast the sound the best, that will be your settings!! :D

Hmm... I noticed distortion when I set the sample rate to 192 and bitrate to 24.
I reset to 24 bits at 48KHz and it went away.

But what i'm asking is, if you turn on Dolby HT, will it upmix stereo to 7.1 or do you have to tick and adjust "Surround Speakers/Headphones"?

thegovernment
06-20-2012, 03:10 AM
Why doesn't this card have a EQ available without having to turn on Dolby? I'd rather have dolby off but the card sounds crappy through my headphones without it on.

Jandenengelsman
06-20-2012, 06:39 AM
Hmm... I noticed distortion when I set the sample rate to 192 and bitrate to 24.
I reset to 24 bits at 48KHz and it went away.

But what i'm asking is, if you turn on Dolby HT, will it upmix stereo to 7.1 or do you have to tick and adjust "Surround Speakers/Headphones"?
For the bitrate I think its the best to run on 96kHz to 24bits unless you source is giving less..
Dolby HT will mix your 2.0 sound up to 5.1 and 7.1 also when your suround button is off! You can just try it when you have a 5.1 speaker set. But just try to find the settings what will be comfortable to listen too!

slik
06-20-2012, 11:48 AM
I've never used a soundcard before... I have the Razer Tiamat 7.1 analog headphones,and I use my PC for gaming only. I run the sound card flat. No GX,EQ,etc.. If you want the best for directional and sound awareness,flat is the best way to go. I compared the Phoebus to my Xonar Xense and In my opinion,the Xense is better for identifying exactly where gunshots etc. are coming from.

lJReyl
06-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Thanks everyone for the clarification!
I'll just run it with Dolby on and a custom equalizer. i tried using surround last night and it didn't sound as clean so I turned it off and left the EQ on.

@Silk
I had a corsair Vengeance 1500 and it had this FPS mode. I copied nearly the same equalizer setting into HT and I can hear pretty much everything. The Tiamats are kinda too flat in sound so the EQ is needed (IMO)

Jandenengelsman
06-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Thanks everyone for the clarification!
I'll just run it with Dolby on and a custom equalizer. i tried using surround last night and it didn't sound as clean so I turned it off and left the EQ on.

@Silk
I had a corsair Vengeance 1500 and it had this FPS mode. I copied nearly the same equalizer setting into HT and I can hear pretty much everything. The Tiamats are kinda too flat in sound so the EQ is needed (IMO)

So fun!! I did exactly the same cause i also have the vangance 1500, but that equalise program is written for the vengance so i don't know if its ment for your raser too!! ;)

lJReyl
06-20-2012, 04:14 PM
So fun!! I did exactly the same cause i also have the vangance 1500, but that equalise program is written for the vengance so i don't know if its ment for your raser too!! ;)
It actually worked pretty well! Had to turn down bass a little but overall, I get the same effect with better positioning.

yogibuh
06-20-2012, 08:08 PM
Hello,

a little bit off-topic.
Under win7 the "virtual speaker shifter 7.1" and "10-bnd eq" are replaced by dolby v4, right? anyone knows why?

ciao

slik
06-22-2012, 11:11 AM
One more thing for Tiamat owners. You probably hear a humming sound in the headphones. It's not the Phoebus sound card,it's your USB port. I powered my Tiamat's through my USB 3 card,and all is well. A USB hub should do the trick.

lJReyl
07-06-2012, 11:38 PM
Raja,
Have you tried any settings with the Razer Tiamat yet?

Raja@ASUS
07-07-2012, 10:26 AM
No, I don't have the Tiamat yet. FWIW though I just hooked up my HD800s and they sound best without any additional effects, I just set 24 bit 192Khz for gaming and that's where they sound most precise and realistic. If the Tiamat drivers are good I would suspect the setting will be the same, while the gain might need offsetting depending upon their sensitivity...

Gopher
07-07-2012, 01:46 PM
Try to go head-fi.org and tell them you use a pair of HD800's directly on a pc soundcard. They would form a 10 mile long queue to slap you lol :)

How are they for gaming?

Raja@ASUS
07-07-2012, 02:28 PM
Try to go head-fi.org and tell them you use a pair of HD800's directly on a pc soundcard. They would form a 10 mile long queue to slap you lol :)

How are they for gaming?

Heh, been a member there for 10 years. To put things into perspective, I have a tube amp I built for headphone use. Uses 3A5 DHTs with amorphous output transformers that I had to wait 5 years for to be hand wound.

As for the HD800s on the Phoebus, they sound pretty good - can't quite knock the tube amp out but then that cost a considerable amount of money and some time for me to build. On a logical note, the better the transducer the better it will sound provided the source has the ability, so I guess that should answer your question about how they are for gaming and just about anything else related to home audio :) I guess I'm the type of guy that does not follow what others think. :P

Operation Nadethrow
07-07-2012, 05:20 PM
Hello,

a little bit off-topic.
Under win7 the "virtual speaker shifter 7.1" and "10-bnd eq" are replaced by dolby v4, right? anyone knows why?

ciao

i wanna know it too. raja do u know y? theres is so much missing. clockwise speaker shifting and co :-( i cant test the card 100%

Raja@ASUS
07-07-2012, 06:28 PM
I think what you are referring to is a facet of DTS Neo 6, which is not in the software package for this card (it requires a separate license). I am not sure on the features of Dolby Digital live on this card as I don't have a multi channel setup I can connect to it to test. I must confess though, I am a bit of a purist so tend to use the least amount of processing anyway. You are talking to a guy that is anal enough to use inductive or digital volume controls and single ended SET 300B amps for gaming at times with open baffle speakers - not much help to you guys :P

DirtyDouggle
11-20-2013, 02:03 AM
Hi guys,

I just installed my phoebus and was checking out the setting, I'm a bit of a noob.

I do a lot of gaming on modern warfare 3 and was wondering if you guys can help me out: what are the settings to use for gaming ? dolby home theater v4 with the game tab?

should I enable dx button?

what does soundradar do?

Is there a tutorial that explains all the new stuff?

I had a xonar dx before and found that the best sound was with only dolby headphone enabled. My headphones are sennheiser pc350's.

Thanks!!

I personally use Logitech's z906 5.1 system, which when connected via optical cable with Dolby 5.1 enabled in sound settings of Home Theater v4 [on-board my ga-990fxa-ud3], everything sounds amazing. I will forever remember the MOMENT I switched from my x-540 to the z906, it was amazing.

{I was playing AC3, standing on a beach. The doorbell rang, and it was a 35lb box from UPS. I unboxed it, marveled in the quality finish of everything, smelled all that delishus china stink, and got to work. Unplugged the x-540 without pausing the game, got the z906 all situated
in the proper nooks - 1 in bookshelf, 1 on nightstand, 3 on the desk - appropriated the inputs properly, plugged in the power, and as soon as I hit that little power button, it glowed orange and came to life. The beach scene had become entrenched in a torrential downpour, and I could hear EVERY SINGLE WATER DROP. Then the thunder cracked and I started maniacally giggling. I was very pleased with my purchase, to say the least. It has vastly improved my entertainment experience , and handling 24-bit 96khz sampling rate [maybe higher] satisfies my audiophile itch. Miles Davis at 9.8 Mbps sounds so good through this system, and with the Dolby activated and calibrated it really brings all the entertainment experiences [movies music games] to an unprecedented level of immersion. All I need is a couple more 27" Asus monitors, some psychedelics, and I'll be ready to live in Skyrim :p }

These are my preferred settings, hopefully the links work, the only image hosting I have is FB.

Game Settings - https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1426637_10202288416029325_1217813733_n.jpg
Seems to really bring out the subtle noises with the volume leveler activated. I kept it low because that's where I thought it sounded best.

Movie Settings - https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1185662_10202288416069326_45810835_n.jpg
I was pleased with only the Intelligent Equalizer adjusted, as I watch most of my movies late at night, and with room-mates I can't have too much bass. I cut out my woofer almost all the way, and the bump in the low-end seems to still help pronounce those lower frequencies through the satellite speakers, so you don't miss an off-screen 'thud' or something. Dialogue Enhancer and Volume Leveler seem to mostly manipulate high-frequencies, and really pull out the dialogue, especially when one second it's quiet and intimate and the next it's a noisy scene with wind blowing and machinery in the background, and you're listening at low-volume. I would best describe these as giving "audible contrast", sometimes they're great enhancers, other times they make everything sound way over-processed and fake.

Music Settings - https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1452174_10202288416109327_1388659517_n.jpg
I was listening to Bag Lady by Erykah Badu, and as soon as I clicked that Volume Leveler, the subtle horns I could barely hear before were much more present, keys sounded better, and the harmonies seemed to be even more in-key somehow.

I love this Dolby technology and after experiencing this, would have a very hard time being convinced anything else is better. And I just realized how old this thread is. oh well.

oG kill3r
12-12-2013, 03:21 AM
The Xonar Phoebus is by far the best sound card i have ever owned ! Im using the Sennheiser PC 350 SE headset with this card and the sound is amazing !

Glasofruix
12-12-2013, 12:08 PM
It sounds great, but the effects supposed to make this card a gaming device are broken... I'm referring to DHT that is not detected as a valid surround setup by games, it kind of works in games that let you choose your audio setup, with others it just adds some reverb. We need some calibration with virtual speakers as it is done in other xonar cards.

GreenMan123
12-13-2013, 05:18 AM
The Xonar Phoebus is by far the best sound card i have ever owned ! Im using the Sennheiser PC 350 SE headset with this card and the sound is amazing !

Yes you are right. Xonar Phoebus is simply the best sound card.

Florin
12-26-2013, 03:08 PM
Any tips for surround sound with Phoebus in Battlefield 4 ? I saw that older Xonar cards had something like 7.1 to headphone settings but the Phoebus doesn`t have such thing, the Xear Surround Headphone will disable the Dolby Home Theater thus no more EQ . I like how the soundcard sounds but I was just curious about that 7.1 to headphones.

Glasofruix
12-26-2013, 07:39 PM
DHT should virtualize with games that allow you to choose the surround setup (just set BF4 to hi-fi and surround), xear is the true surround simulation with the phoebus, but it sounds like crap. You can try razer surrond software (should be free until the end of the year, a few more days that is), you'll have surround to headphones with a working EQ.

xfiniti64
12-27-2013, 09:43 AM
I am using this http://www.razerzone.com/surround , or dolby headphones

x7007
12-31-2013, 03:49 PM
So what is better to use ? Razer makes the surround at 16bit depth and 48Hz . It does makes surround but is it worth the quality loss ? espically with Sutdio Headphones like HD800 and Berydynamic DT990 ? What is better to use DHT Virtualizer Full 24bit depth 48Hz or Razer virtual true surruond we can say at 16bit depth 48Hz ?

Glasofruix
01-01-2014, 03:39 PM
The games output at 16bits 48Khz anyway.

x7007
07-23-2014, 03:39 PM
For the bitrate I think its the best to run on 96kHz to 24bits unless you source is giving less..
Dolby HT will mix your 2.0 sound up to 5.1 and 7.1 also when your suround button is off! You can just try it when you have a 5.1 speaker set. But just try to find the settings what will be comfortable to listen too!

U sure without enabling Surround Virtualizer Headphones , we will still get 5.1 or 7.1 Surround ? is dolby surround better than the Razer Surround headphones ?

Thanks