PDA

View Full Version : Where should I send my G73SW for repairs if ASUS warranty over?

Synomis192
05-17-2012, 01:34 AM
Recently, my battery jack has be causing me major headaches. I have to wiggle the power supply in a certain position and put my external hard drive on top to charge it. The problem is not my power supply because it works perfectly on friends g73jh.

If I do send my laptop, I don't want them touching my hard drive because I managed to fix every problem that I had with this laptop (keyboard lights not working, trackpad not registering, and no more bloatware). Can I just buy a replacement HDD and put it in before sending the laptop for repair

Where should I send my laptop for repairs?

I have some options:

1). Send it to Best Buy to see if they can repair it? (I did not buy my laptop from there).

2). Use my extended warranty from Newegg to send my laptop back and see if they can fix it?

3). Go to a local computer store to see if they can repair the power jack.

4). Send my laptop to Asus (my warranty might have expired last month, bought my laptop April 2011).

BrodyBoy
05-17-2012, 03:33 AM
Most likely, the power jack just needs to be replaced. Soldered to the motherboard, it can take a lot or pulling and torguing over time....making it one of the most common laptop components to fail. :( Eventually, all the careful wiggling and re-positioning doesn't work anymore.

But before assuming the DC jack is definitely the culprit, it's worth taking a very close look at the cable. I had an HP a few years back that was exhibiting similar symptoms, so I just assumed the solder was failing and the jack would break off one day. But upon close inspection, I saw that the DC cable (the skinny one on the computer side of the power brick) had become slightly brittle and that its casing had split just inside that flex boot close to the end. In this particular case, the jack was actually fine...but the cable insulation had failed and one of the conductors was actually exposed and breaking. I replaced the plug on the end of the cable....problem solved.

But if your DC jack IS loose.....anybody proficient in electronics soldering should be able to replace it. (You can usually find the part online.) If there's a local computer repair shop who does this kind of work....not the kind of "repair" shop that just specializes in transferring data and stuff like that.....I would get an estimate from them. I question whether the Geek Squad does this kind of work, but you can certainly check. Asus can undoubtedly repair it, but I'd want reassurance that they don't opt for the quick, easy, and most expensive fix....motherboard replacement.

If you have coverage under an extended warranty, it's certainly worthwhile to see if you can get it fixed that way. Does Newegg do repairs? I didn't think that they do this kind of thing in-house. Perhaps they just use a 3rd-party service (like Best Buy uses the Geek Squad) to service their extended warranties.

Speaking of extended warranties, you may also have extra coverage if you bought your computer with a credit card. Most of them double the manufacturer's warranty, up to an extra year of coverage.

Synomis192
05-17-2012, 04:43 AM
Well, my power brick does have some exposed wires on the computer side. So maybe the DC connector is the culprit.

I'm looking at the DC jack on the laptop and everything looks okay. It's not pushed to the side or anything. Maybe I should buy a new L-shaped Power Brick for my laptop.

The reason why I blame the jack is becasue many users of my laptop have the same complaint and found that the culprit is the jack that's soldered on the motherboard.

And about the Hard Drive problem. Do you think that I'll be able to remove my current hard drive and buy an new, exact replica, hard drive and just do a clean windows 7 install. Then send it to get fixed if needed? Or do i need to include the original hard drive.

BrodyBoy
05-17-2012, 05:14 AM
Well, my power brick does have some exposed wires on the computer side. So maybe the DC connector is the culprit.
Well...that sounds kinda ominous......

I'm looking at the DC jack on the laptop and everything looks okay. It's not pushed to the side or anything. Maybe I should buy a new L-shaped Power Brick for my laptop.
If, by chance, this is actually a cable failure like I experienced, just using an adapter wouldn't solve it. I had to cut the plug off the end of the cable.....removing enough cable to get rid of the exposed part. Then I "wired" a new adapter to the end of the dissected cable.

And about the Hard Drive problem. Do you think that I'll be able to remove my current hard drive and buy an new, exact replica, hard drive and just do a clean windows 7 install. Then send it to get fixed if needed? Or do i need to include the original hard drive.
I'm not sure what you're saying is a problem here. You don't need to include any hard at all if the DC jack is just being replaced. Since there's no software/configuration problem being addressed, they don't need access your drive. Just take out your HDD and keep it home...always a good idea if you're sending it to Asus! (They seem to love to do a factory restore whether you need it or not....)

Synomis192
05-17-2012, 08:09 AM
I'm not sure what you're saying is a problem here. You don't need to include any hard at all if the DC jack is just being replaced. Since there's no software/configuration problem being addressed, they don't need access your drive. Just take out your HDD and keep it home...always a good idea if you're sending it to Asus! (They seem to love to do a factory restore whether you need it or not....)

Well I always thought that when you send back laptops, everything must be included. Now I feel better knowing that I don't have to include my HDD when sending it to ASUS for replacement :D
-Side Question: How long is the usual return time for repairs. Someone on the forum is complaining that they haven't recieved their laptop and a month passed by. I live in California and I think the Fremont location is the fastest repair center ASUS has.

If, by chance, this is actually a cable failure like I experienced, just using an adapter wouldn't solve it. I had to cut the plug off the end of the cable.....removing enough cable to get rid of the exposed part. Then I "wired" a new adapter to the end of the dissected cable.

Excuse my lack of knowledge of component, but I don't understand what you did. Sorry again for my noob-status :[

hazard99
05-17-2012, 11:01 AM
He basically removed the damaged portion of the cord and then reattached it. It then no longer has a short.

Peregrine
05-17-2012, 03:30 PM
The Newegg warranty usually just gives you a dollar value to replace. I don't think they actually REPAIR anything.

You said yours worked on your friends laptop. Did you try his cord on yours?? That would eliminate the cord being the issue.

Otherwise if it really is the jack CALL ASUS ASAP. A lot of these laptops actually have a 2 year warranty if I am not mistaken. I know mine does.

BrodyBoy
05-17-2012, 05:06 PM
Well I always thought that when you send back laptops, everything must be included. Now I feel better knowing that I don't have to include my HDD when sending it to ASUS for replacement :D
-Side Question: How long is the usual return time for repairs. Someone on the forum is complaining that they haven't recieved their laptop and a month passed by. I live in California and I think the Fremont location is the fastest repair center ASUS has.
Yeah, I've heard that too....they seem to have a pretty good turn-around there. I think those long repair situations occur when they're waiting on parts. You would think they'd have everything there, but when you consider how many models Asus has, and how many parts in every laptop, you can imagine how they come up short occasionally and have to wait for some little part to arrive from Timbuktu or wherever.....;)

Excuse my lack of knowledge of component, but I don't understand what you did. Sorry again for my noob-status :[
No problem....I probably didn't describe it very well. Basically, I guess my "skinny cable" casing had gotten brittle, and it split inside the flex boot right next to the plug:

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/prog_photos/MISC/cablesplit.jpg

I cut about two inches off the end of the cable, including the plug. I wanted to get one of these (photo below) to wire onto the end of the bare cable, but couldn't find the right size. So I found a matching plug on some other device I had, cut it off, and spliced it onto the cable. It was an "ugly" solution, with a big electrical tape wrap around the connectors, but it worked perfectly.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/prog_photos/MISC/2-1mm-DC-Jack-Adaptor-2-1mm-DC-Plug-DC14-.jpg

Synomis192
05-18-2012, 04:17 AM
The Newegg warranty usually just gives you a dollar value to replace. I don't think they actually REPAIR anything.

- So basically what you're saying is that they just take the laptop back and give me a refund? Strange. I thought when Ibought an extended warranty, they'd try to fix the problem and provide extra protection.

You said yours worked on your friends laptop. Did you try his cord on yours?? That would eliminate the cord being the issue.

- Forgot to mention, yes it did work for a while, but eventually it rapidly switched from AC to Battery.

I cut about two inches off the end of the cable, including the plug. I wanted to get one of these (photo below) to wire onto the end of the bare cable, but couldn't find the right size. So I found a matching plug on some other device I had, cut it off, and spliced it onto the cable. It was an "ugly" solution, with a big electrical tape wrap around the connectors, but it worked perfectly.

- Interesting, If I knew more about wiring, I'd give it a tray haha. Seems like a danergous task.

Peregrine
05-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Looked it up.
The Newegg warranty is a repair type warranty. They will try and repair it, not give you cash money.
(Well they themselves don't repair, a 3rd party does).

James Ward
06-05-2012, 04:24 AM
Yea, I think I'm having this issue right now with my laptop, but it seems like it is actually, either the connector on the cable side or on the motherboard, cause adjusting the cables and everything does nothing, even when I hold the connector in place and try to wiggle the cable, it does nothing, but as soon as I start wiggling the connector itself in the socket, my power flickers on and off repeatedly. I really wish there was some kind of easy fix for this :( as I am in probably the worst place for this to happen. Deployed to Kyrgyzstan, with 1 week left on the warranty (bought refurbished) and a minimum 2 weeks to ship to the states.

I noticed it got progressively worse over time while I've had it (for the course of maybe a month or so) and I don't really take it around with me either. I have had it in my backpack maybe twice, the rest of the time it's in my lap in bed or under my bed all day. It's really frustrating since other than this, it is probably one of the best laptops I've owned, but something like this can be deal breaking, since it can lead to serious charging issues and when the power is unplugged it automatically downstages the GPU speed and I can't adjust that, so my games take FPS hits from it, especially when it decides to start flickering, going from AC to battery over and over again.

dstrakele
06-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Check out this post, James - http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16470-quot-Touchy-quot-Power-Cable-in-my-G-53S&p=112124&viewfull=1#post112124

The issue may lie with the plug in your power adapter.