PDA

View Full Version : Asus g74sx video card issue

Paulminn
05-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Hi,

For some reason, my laptop now boot up with the standard vga graphics adapter instead of the nvidia geforce gtx 560m. Anyone able to explain why this is and how to fix it? Thank you.

Forsythe
05-20-2012, 11:30 PM
I'm having the same issue with mine. It just started randomly. I've updated my video card driver, but no fix.

PeteG
05-31-2012, 03:47 PM
Same here.....did you guys send the laptop back for tech support?

dstrakele
05-31-2012, 03:49 PM
I suspect your NVIDIA video driver is corrupted. Is it possible to use Windows System Restore to restore your system to a time before the video driver was updated (possibly by ASUS Live Update)? See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/system-restore for details.

PeteG
05-31-2012, 04:19 PM
Restore did not work. NVidia does not even show in the system. It reverted to internal VGA graphics. Its like the entire NVidia disappeared.

Boosted_R
05-31-2012, 09:50 PM
what driver are you guys using ?

If nothing is showing up, disconnect the battery, and power supply....after a min or so, start it up again and try installing 295.73

dstrakele
05-31-2012, 10:35 PM
Restore did not work. NVidia does not even show in the system. It reverted to internal VGA graphics. Its like the entire NVidia disappeared.

Why did System Restore Fail? Did it give an error? Did you go back far enough? Or did you not have a Restore Point?

With a System Restore Failure, and if I did not have a recent Windows System Image to Restore from backup, I would probably install Driver Sweeper and sweep to remove any NVIDIA driver remnants (if they exist). I might also use CCleaner in Windows Safe Mode to clean up the registry, then REBOOT into Safe Mode again to install the NVIDIA driver.

PILGRIM
05-31-2012, 10:55 PM

If nVidia graphics driver and any of its components don't appear even in Windows Programs and Features, you may try this:

Reboot in Safe Mode (F8).
Use the Phyxion Driver Sweeper software to clean nVidia- Display and nVidia- PhysX.
Reboot in Safe Mode again, (Edit: clean registry again with CCleaner).
Re-install the nVidia driver.
Reboot normally.

And even if they're there in the Program and Features, I suggest a manual un-installation
of all nVidia driver and components, and do the same as suggested above.

russell_ross
08-31-2012, 08:28 PM
instead of putting out ****ty products put out good ones. This is bull**** all the crap I am having to go through just to play 1 ****ing game! **** you and your goddamn republic of ****ing gamers. ****ING MORONS!

cl-scott
08-31-2012, 10:22 PM
Don't hold back Russell... Tell us what you really think.

I can't guarantee any of the other mods will feel the same, but I tend to be a firm believer that people get one or two messages like yours, but after that I tend to expect you to have gotten it out of your system and act like an adult. Otherwise I will wave my magic moderator wand and make the posts disappear. That is quickly followed by my magic moderator ban hammer, and you'll be at the whim of my generosity at that particular moment as to whether it's a temporary or permanent ban.

If you want to present your problem in a calm and coherent fashion, I think you'll find a number of people around here willing to help. Just ask yourself if you would want to help someone who said to you something like you did in your post.

PILGRIM
09-01-2012, 03:48 PM
instead of putting out ****ty products put out good ones. This is bull**** all the crap I am having to go through just to play 1 ****ing game! **** you and your goddamn republic of ****ing gamers. ****ING MORONS!

Don't hold back Russell... Tell us what you really think...

:) Venting out is good for the health, I must say. But pointing fingers at everybody and/or
making sweeping generalizations (i.e. name calling everyone) will surely bring ill will.

It's all right not to spell-out everything (for offensive words will surely be blocked),
but it would be best to spill-out something (i.e. your specific problem/s with your ROG unit,
if ever you have it).

Except for a handful of ASUS employees on this forums, we, just like you, are ASUS customers.
And we are here because we know these are community forums- we help and are helped.

So, come on, bring out your unit's issue, and we'll try to find a solution for it..
But in case you're just here to spew some hate and nothing else, you know
the door where you came in.. you're always free to get out..

FrozenHawke
09-06-2012, 12:37 AM
I haven't Really gotten a straight answer from this post, but yes I am having the same problem. I have looked on Fallout 3 on the Options, and according to the Graphics Adapter I have a GeForce 7900 GS, Yet I have the 560m in the computer. I have had this problem 1 time before but I didn't know it was the adapter. Anyway I have reinstalled my drivers and looked long and hard over the internet and ASUS Tech Support Sucks because they wont respond to my email, and nothing will help me. If theres anything that someone knows that I can try BESIDES sending it in to tech support I am open to your words.

dstrakele
09-06-2012, 04:51 AM
What model ASUS laptop do you have?

Did you try uninstalling your current NVIDIA driver from "Control Panel - Uninstall a program" followed by @PILGRIM's NVIDIA driver cleanup and reinstallation procedure in post #8 in this thread?

PILGRIM
09-06-2012, 04:57 AM
I haven't Really gotten a straight answer from this post, but yes I am having the same problem. I have looked on Fallout 3 on the Options, and according to the Graphics Adapter I have a GeForce 7900 GS, Yet I have the 560m in the computer. I have had this problem 1 time before but I didn't know it was the adapter. Anyway I have reinstalled my drivers and looked long and hard over the internet and ASUS Tech Support Sucks because they wont respond to my email, and nothing will help me. If theres anything that someone knows that I can try BESIDES sending it in to tech support I am open to your words.

What does the nVidia Control Panel say about your GPU model, is it a GeForce GTX 560M,
or a GeForce 7900 GS? What if you run GPU-Z program, will it confirm any of of the graphics card?

I'm suspecting the game Fallout 3 is mis-reading your graphics card. A reinstallation of the game
might be warranted. Also suggest for you to look for similar issue on the game's support/forum site.