PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on the fan situation Asus G75

Daevart
05-19-2012, 07:35 AM
So, here I leave you this feedback. I do in public since the situation is clear to everybody. We ran some noise tests on the Asus G75V, concerning the "humming sound" in the background due to the ventilation system.

It can be considered as a design problem, since the machine is new and not defective at all, and a colleague's nb shown the same issue.

- The GPU Fan is almost all time turned on.
- The "hum" is clearly a BALL BEARING sound, which has been bad mounted.
- If the machine is turned on and over a desk, this sound is generated, in the background, due to the constant spinning of the fan, and to a not clever design of the ball bearing mount. Let's call X dba the noise generated this way (I say X since I will put the normal value in our review in the next days).
- If the machine is put 90 (Vertical considering the table), the hum noise is consistently reduced. You can listen only to the air blowing in to the vents. The noise in this condition is also reduced: x-1 dba.
- If the machine is put upside down, the noise stops. x-1,8 dba.
- If the machine is put on a SOFT SURFACE (like some rubber between the table and the small feet, the ball bearing sound consistently goes down (x-0,7 dba)

So, if the machine is in its correct position, the ball bearing creates this hum voice. A redesign of the fan system is needed. A temporary workout is a vBios revision with a quiet mode, cause it is not needed the GPU/CPU fan spinning when the temps are below 48-50C!

Another fix would be - if both fans have the same design - to open the machine and to switch the two fans, in order to install them upside - down, remove totally the "hum".

Cecil_2099
05-19-2012, 11:20 AM
Daevart: It could actually be that you and your colleague have a defective unit. My G75 doesn't exhibit the ball bearing noise you describe. The fans are on (according to HWiNFO64) but the sound levels are negligible on my unit.

Daevart
05-19-2012, 12:56 PM
You will understand that 2 computers (one with 3d, the other w/o 3d) bought from 2 different resellers showing the same behaviour is kinda weird...

dstrakele
05-19-2012, 01:28 PM
If it's possible to actually switch the fans and install them upside down, it wouldn't surprise me if it was assembled incorrectly at the factory. You'd have a 50/50 chance of getting one with the fans installed incorrectly. Otherwise, you and your friend may have obtained the "Southern hemisphere" model by mistake...
;>{)>

john_from_ohio
05-19-2012, 05:12 PM
Daevart: It could actually be that you and your colleague have a defective unit. My G75 doesn't exhibit the ball bearing noise you describe. The fans are on (according to HWiNFO64) but the sound levels are negligible on my unit.

My unit also I can barely hear even in a very quiet environment ...

dstrakele
05-19-2012, 05:46 PM
My laptop fans are very quiet as well, but then I only use it upside down when I'm on my inversion table to relieve pressure on my spine.

Myk SilentShadow
05-19-2012, 05:58 PM
My laptop fans are very quiet as well, but then I only use it upside down when I'm on my inversion table to relieve pressure on my spine.

Did you get a Southern Hemisphere edition too? lol :p

Cecil_2099
05-20-2012, 12:01 AM
You will understand that 2 computers (one with 3d, the other w/o 3d) bought from 2 different resellers showing the same behaviour is kinda weird...

I hope this reply doesn't come off being too abrasive, so if it does, I apologize in advance:

It's really not all that weird when you think about it. Any production run on any product is bound to have some issues. Look at any review for any hard drive out on the market and you're bound to see at least a few reviews of "Dead on Arrival" or "Bad Sectors Right Out of Box" and the like. Heck, even my car has an odd quirk that other cars sold from the same dealer made on the same production run doesn't have. My point is, there will be units out there that work flawlessly (as mine seems to do) and others will have some production-related flaw (like your fan ball bearings making a lot of noise, and some other users experiencing horizontal lines on their displays). So you really can't generalize that your experience with your particular G75 means that the entire product line is faulty because if it was, I would have the same problem as you, or I would have the same problems as others that have purchased from Best Buy in North America. At this point in time there is seems to be one consistent problem across all G75s and that is the faulty sub-woofer controls/frequency output.

In closing, let's just agree that ASUS at this point in time needs to take our input posted on these forums and improve their quality control before shipping out units to the resellers, and if any resellers make modifications, they need to double-check their work as well to keep customers happy. And also keep in mind that's what return windows are for; if you aren't happy with the product or find it defective, return it and get a new one. If the problem persists, then that's more evidence that ASUS' build quality is slipping.

Daevart
05-20-2012, 05:42 AM
It is all ok, trust me. It is just weird...on monday we are gonna make a third check with another G75, let's see...

compa008
08-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Laptop is having the same hissing sound described. How the hell do they not test these things out?

Shawnnepc
08-08-2012, 11:18 PM
Laptop is having the same hissing sound described. How the hell do they not test these things out?

You try to test sound output in a large production facility :P

None of the units we've sold have this issue.

I checked to be sure :)

So either it's a batch issue or a random defect (you got two in a row, go play the lottery :D)

kiba
08-08-2012, 11:56 PM
ive had 3 so far, theyve had other issues, but not this one.

mrwolf
08-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Yea same, it could indeed be a batch issue.. I have 2 G75's in my house and do not have this fan problem

ForCeV
09-21-2012, 03:28 PM
I have same issues... It i so annoying while I m working with using word and power point.. This should be fixed some other ways. We are not talking about fan spinning noise. We are talking about annoying bearing sound in IDLE MODE... When the fan can be turend off, I think it will solve the problem.. We don't care when we play the game and the fan sound increase because the fan sound in full load can be covered by the game sound.. I need to work with using word and power point. but it is so annoying bearing sound especially, silent environment.

finalhour
09-21-2012, 08:47 PM
I have same issues... It i so annoying while I m working with using word and power point.. This should be fixed some other ways. We are not talking about fan spinning noise. We are talking about annoying bearing sound in IDLE MODE... When the fan can be turend off, I think it will solve the problem.. We don't care when we play the game and the fan sound increase because the fan sound in full load can be covered by the game sound.. I need to work with using word and power point. but it is so annoying bearing sound especially, silent environment.

It sounds like, if you read the post above, you have a defective unit. Call ASUS :-P

MicioMax
10-18-2012, 09:56 PM
Same issue here, quite annoying at night where there's no noise around.
Right fan.
Here also, turning laptop of 90 lowers the noise noticeably.

Max

WontonNoodle
10-19-2012, 01:55 AM
Same issue here but with G55. Please release a new bios

GottiBoi55
10-19-2012, 02:13 AM

Same here I have no such problem with the fans, my G75 is as quite as a "church mouse".

dunker
01-22-2013, 12:57 PM
I've got the exact same problem. When my G75 laptop is placed correctly on the table, I always hear the annoying bearing noise ...

When I tilt the laptop 90, the noise disappears although the fan still works.

I've just had the fan replaced earlier today, and the problem didn't go away! ... What can we do?

batuhanyel
01-31-2013, 01:58 AM
I have the exact same problem.
Sound is gone when I turned it upside down or 90 degrees. I don't want to go through all the changing procedure in my country.
So I'm looking for a way to fix it. Can any ASUS crew member help us out ? If I can't fix that in some way I'll have to return the laptop and wait the reseller company to findout whats wrong (they are definitely going to keep me waiting for a month or so)
I've paid around 2400 USD for this product and this was the most expensive one that I can get in my country, a problem like this made me very disappointed about ASUS and ROG.

Any ASUS technic member can tell me what If I turn fans upside down ? I think the way the intake and out is different and It could make the fans stop cooling the machine. Waiting for a response A.S.A.P

adamsyes
05-15-2013, 04:58 AM
Same here! I turn it and it stops.

I've made a other thread, although I was hoping this can be linked
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?32764-New-G75VX-Defective-or-not-Please-help.&country=&status=