PDA

View Full Version : Asus G75VW - Black screen on boot up

Espenh
05-19-2012, 10:21 AM
I just got myself an Asus G75VW. I'm really happy with this one. But today when I woke up, I turned on my computer as I usually do when I wake up, and then there is just a black screen when the computer is booting up. Even the ROG logo doesn't show up, I can hear the windows boot up sound when it's done booting up, but there is still a black screen. So I went upstairs to see if someone else had the same problem (using this computer), I could not find anything that could help. Then I went down again, and it's still just black... I got my computer last thursday and it have never happened before now. Yesterday, I did update all my drives using the Asus Live Update, maybe that's the problem? I really hope someone can help me on this! I'm really frustrated right now, I need to play Diablo, haha.

john_from_ohio
05-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Do you have any backups? Did you create the 3 recovery DVD's?

You can try powering it off by holding power button down for 5 seconds ... wait a minute ... power it back up again ...

fuzon1337
05-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Hi @Espenh

It could be the magnetic sensor messing up, so close the screen and open it up again (when powered off)

You could try to take out the battery from the notebook, then hold down the power on button for 30 - 45 seconds, then put the battery back in, any difference ?

Also if you connect an external screen, still black or does it show the bootup?

dstrakele
05-19-2012, 01:04 PM
From what I've read about this issue in other threads (see http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?13218-Help-Black-Screen-comes-back-again-even-with-driver-296.16-installe=95692&viewfull=1#post95692), booting into a black screen is typically a hardware issue. Since you hear Windows complete startup, I suspect a bad LVDS cable connection, bad cable, electrical short, or faulty power supply.

Regardless of the cause, I think you need to throw this one back. Contact your retailer and exchange your defective laptop for a new unit. Let the retailer and ASUS deal with it.

Don't let anyone talk you into an RMA. You should not have to wait for ASUS to repair your brand new laptop. Get one that works or accept the refund if your model is out of stock.

Since moving or manipulating (or even rebooting) the laptop may sometimes temporarily resolve the issue; I recommend videotaping the black screen startup with your cell phone to document the problem. It may be useful if you can't reproduce the issue for the retailer.

Espenh
05-19-2012, 04:10 PM
I managed to fix it, but I forgot to post it here. What I did, was that I took out the battery from the notebook, placed it in again, then I held down the power button for 20 seconds and then it worked just fine, just like Fuzion said. Thanks for answers though!

dstrakele
05-19-2012, 04:23 PM
From my experience viewing threads on this issue, that is only a temporary fix.

fuzon1337
05-19-2012, 04:29 PM
Regardless of the cause, I think you need to throw this one back. Contact your retailer and exchange your defective laptop for a new unit. Let the retailer and ASUS deal with it.

Don't let anyone talk you into an RMA. You should not have to wait for ASUS to repair your brand new laptop. Get one that works or accept the refund if your model is out of stock.

I would do as @dstrakele is mentioning about this. You should't have issues when this notebook is brand new. How old is it? are you still under the retailers policy return ?

It's better to get a new unit without problems than a unit that already shows problems =/

Tristamus
05-25-2012, 05:37 AM
I am seriously disappointed.

I have the exact same problem, 3 days after receiving this system. One hour it was flawless, then literally the next hour, it completely ceased to operate correctly. No BIOS, no ROG logo at boot-up, NOTHING. I was having an amazing time with it, as it IS a fantastic laptop, but this is devastating, and terrible timing. I really needed this new laptop to get some work done by June 8th, now I am stuck with an RMA and sending it back.

I enclosed a note on the keyboard, so that when the repair guys at ASUS open up the returned product, they can read what happened and what I expect as compensation. I wrote my number on it asking whoever is repairing / replacing it to give me a call and have a little chat with me about this situation.

I spent nearly $3,000 for this thing, with all the extra stuff etc. I knew something was up when the computer first arrived. When I opened it up, all the panels were out of place and not popped in correctly, on the bottom and the display panel. I let it go, since the laptop worked fine. Now it is testament to how poorly and hastily put together this stuff is. I ordered mine from Xotic PC, by the way, if anyone was wondering.

Edit: I did call Tech Support, and after trying several potential solutions that failed to fix it, and as kind as they were, the only thing they said I could do is return it for repairs. I really didn't want to have to waste my time with this crap. Seriously aggravating.

dstrakele
05-25-2012, 11:57 AM
I have the exact same problem, 3 days after receiving this system. One hour it was flawless, then literally the next hour, it completely ceased to operate correctly. No BIOS, no ROG logo at boot-up, NOTHING.
I ordered mine from Xotic PC...

Why didn't you just return the laptop? http://www.xoticpc.com/ourwarranty_new1.php states you had a 15 day "NO QUESTIONS ASKED" Return Policy from Xotic PC.

Holy
05-25-2012, 02:25 PM
Then you can order a new one with that or have it refunded in whole. Exxept shipping.

Palomino
06-05-2012, 03:31 PM
Hello everyone,

it seems like I have the same issue over here ... I bought my G75 five days ago and - until now - I was extremely happy. It's an awesome machine!

My Problem: I just booted up and the screen stayed black. Windows sound worked, so it seemed to boot somehow correctly. When I plugged in an external screen via VGA-Port, the G75 screen seemed to work as it should. When unplugged everything went dark again.

Pressing the power button for a minute (with and without the battery) didn't work out.
Neither it helped to open and close the screen (for the magnetic sensor, as mentioned above).

When turned black I saw something like a single underline symbol flashing from left to right in the middle of the G75 screen. I wondered if It could be a driver issue and tried to uninstall ad reinstall the Nvidia drivers (date: 29.03.2012, version: 8.17.12.9644). Then I rebooted and unplugged the external screen again. For a moment it seemed to work, but then the G75 screen went black again. ...

Right now I'm running out of ideas.
Unfortunately the link in post #4 is down.
Is it really a hardware issue or something else?
Any ideas how to solve this problem?

Thank you in advance and greetings from Germany!

dstrakele
06-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Do you have any peripheral devices attached to any of the ports of your laptop? If so, remove them and reboot the system. If the laptop display is still black, contact your retailer and see if you can exchange your defective laptop for a new unit or at least get a complete refund. From what I read in this forum, the issue is likely hardware. Let the retailer and ASUS figure it out. You don't want this to become YOUR problem.

Palomino
06-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Do you have any peripheral devices attached to any of the ports of your laptop? If so, remove them and reboot the system. If the laptop display is still black, contact your retailer and see if you can exchange your defective laptop for a new unit or at least get a complete refund. From what I read in this forum, the issue is likely hardware. Let the retailer and ASUS figure it out. You don't want this to become YOUR problem.

Thank you for your reply! You're right. I DON'T want this to become MY problem. :)
I've spoken to ASUS (Germany) and my retailer. I'll get a new unit. No questioning.

To answer your question and update my current status on the error (if someone looks this up):

The screen remained black, no matter if there were any peripheral devices attached.
When I tried to boot the system later on, it didn't show the ROG logo but my windows desktop after a while. A few seconds later the screen started to show pretty weird flickering vertical lines (many), followed by black and a normal desktop. Then again lines, black, strobe, and so on. I attached the external screen and the problem immediately diasappeared.

Now I'm pretty sure, it's the hardware ...

Espenh
06-09-2012, 01:03 PM
I'm ****ing pissed of right now! This time I had to try at least 8-10 times to get this computer to work. I have been to lazy to contact the retailer and ASUS, but now i'm going to do it just as i'm writing this ****.

Damn...

john_from_ohio
06-09-2012, 06:22 PM
This time I had to try at least 8-10 times to get this computer to work. I have been to lazy to contact the retailer and ASUS, but now i'm going to do it just as i'm writing this ****.

Seriously do not mess around with a unit that is mis behaving and is still within the return/exchange zone.

If you keep messing around and putting up with anomalies you end up with a machine that the retailer will no longer return/exchange and then you have to fight thru manufacturer warranty service staff.

Espenh
06-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Well, yeah. I kind of understood that right now. But seriously, who gives out a computer that have sooo many problems? ASUS should test their computers properly before they release them. Now I have another problem... I can't boot up my computer without getting on the recovery screen. I am REALLY pissed of right now!

Se7en
09-07-2012, 03:54 AM
This seems like a widespread issue on these ASUS laptops. I was having a ball for 2 days then issues started liek everyone else and now it will do nothing. I now have to wait for them to get another one out and am without a laptop. Why are there so many issues with the same screen issue. I am almost scared to exchange it but I love the laptop.
Any feedback?

dstrakele
09-07-2012, 04:12 AM
Why do millions of iPad 3 owners report their retina displays have a yellow hue (see http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/319114/20120325/new-ipad-3-yellow-tint-problem-retina.htm)? Unfortunately, it is a sign of the times with mass-produced electronic gadgets. There may be manufacturing errors that require you to exchange your gadget for a new one, hopefully without issues. It may even require more than one exchange.

This is why it is so very important to completely test your new electronic gadget, preferably in stock configuration, while you are still within the retailer's exchange/return period.

rewben
09-07-2012, 12:33 PM
there are a lot of hops between the factory where the machines are produced and us the users. manufacturing errors do occur, but let' be more realistic, it's the retailers that interface us. imo, if the retailers perform some basic checks and testing on the machines they sell, it might help to reduce user frustrations.

however, it's still up to the quality and know-how of the sales persons. it's hard to find an experienced one.

but another scenario is this: most of us do not ask the sales person to do tests; and many feel uneasy when the sales person show them an opened goods, instead of unopened one. in the end, someone will get the blame :/

also, i realized that most of us do not know the proper process after buying a new gadget (i.e. what we must do to make sure the gadgets are actually in good shape, using some simple testing tools; at best we just observe the machines physically for defects). by doing so, we can detect anomalies as soon as possible, before it's way passed the exchange date (not always the case, as there are sales persons that do take care of their customers and allow them to still do the exchange)

p.s. i own a good quality g55. never had an issue since i bought it.

bugsbunny
10-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Listen up folks, I found another fix that is permanent. I tried all the procedures listed here and on other forums. The solution is to create a system repair disc and then rebuild the Master Boot Record (MBR). As long as your display screen is not the problem, nor a hardware issue, rebuilding the Master Boot Record will fix your problem. Give it a try! If you need any further help, just contact me through this forum. :D

This will get you started in creating a system repair disc. You may have to borrow one from someone if you don't have one already realizing that you cannot make one in your black screen laptop.

Create a system repair disc

To create a system repair disc you will go into control panel and select "System and Security" and then
"Backup your Computer". Then select on the left side, "Create System Repair Disc" You will need a cd/dvd disc for ASUS to make the disc.

Note
If you're prompted to insert a Windows installation disc, it means that the files needed to create the system repair disc can't be found on your computer.

Once you create the disc reboot your laptop with the disc in the drive and then it will boot to the disc where you can select the Master Boot Record fix. Once you do that. You can remove your disc and reboot. If all goes well, black screen will be gone and bootup to Windows will be good. I spent a good deal of time figuring out this solution so what better place to document it then right here. Spread the word if it works for you.

Bugs

I am seriously disappointed.

I have the exact same problem, 3 days after receiving this system. One hour it was flawless, then literally the next hour, it completely ceased to operate correctly. No BIOS, no ROG logo at boot-up, NOTHING. I was having an amazing time with it, as it IS a fantastic laptop, but this is devastating, and terrible timing. I really needed this new laptop to get some work done by June 8th, now I am stuck with an RMA and sending it back.

I enclosed a note on the keyboard, so that when the repair guys at ASUS open up the returned product, they can read what happened and what I expect as compensation. I wrote my number on it asking whoever is repairing / replacing it to give me a call and have a little chat with me about this situation.

I spent nearly $3,000 for this thing, with all the extra stuff etc. I knew something was up when the computer first arrived. When I opened it up, all the panels were out of place and not popped in correctly, on the bottom and the display panel. I let it go, since the laptop worked fine. Now it is testament to how poorly and hastily put together this stuff is. I ordered mine from Xotic PC, by the way, if anyone was wondering.

Edit: I did call Tech Support, and after trying several potential solutions that failed to fix it, and as kind as they were, the only thing they said I could do is return it for repairs. I really didn't want to have to waste my time with this crap. Seriously aggravating.

akosyaini
11-07-2012, 08:30 AM
I have the same problem when i boot up, but on my Sony TV it show the boot up logo of ASUS but not on the display of laptop. i have my laptop for 3 weeks already. should i return this laptop?

dstrakele
11-07-2012, 01:45 PM
If you press Fn-F8 to cycle through the display modes and can't get Windows to display on the laptop screen, that is worrisome.

I recommend performing an F9 ASUS Factory Restore to return your system to an out-of-the-box state. If Windows loads and fails to display on the laptop screen, I would return it to the retailer for exchange or a complete refund.

kpppy
02-18-2013, 06:53 PM
I have also the same problem with a brand new G75VX, bought it 7 days ago, the thing was i went in the advanced power settings and changed the USB selective suspend setting to Disabled(because after shutdown, the USBs were still working), then i hit restart..and from then, nothing, only black screen ...guess the only thing to do is send it back :(

dstrakele
02-18-2013, 09:38 PM
Are you hooked up to an external monitor or HDTV as well? If so, disconnect it and remove all peripheral devices (including SD card in the Card Reader) and restart. Does video then display on the laptop screen?

Ai Charger Plus can supply power to the USB 3.0 port after shutdown to allow charging of devices. Is it installed on your system? It can be configured not to do this.

ExRacer
03-23-2013, 03:41 PM
It was the mag sensor as noted in a previous post. close the lid and enter password on black screen and it booted normally.

fishingfanatic
04-27-2013, 03:34 AM
I just got a used 1 and had it happen already. Not too concerned after getting it up after a reboot.

I had a MSi E7405 gaming laptop b4 this and there's no comparison except for the sound.

The old 1 had 5.1 surround. For a laptop it was greatt!!!

I absolutely love this laptop!!!

FF

fishingfanatic
04-27-2013, 03:50 PM
I had those black screen issues with my previous laptop, a MSi E7405.

That 1 I had problems with the 5870 occasionally crashing.

Maybe a Windows issue?

FF

dsheps83@gmail.com
04-28-2013, 02:13 AM
I to am getting a black screen, but only when the laptop is cold. I don't hear windows sounds but see the hdd light lashing.

If I leave the laptop on for an hour then tun it off then back on it will normally boot. I have now been taking the bottom off and using a hair dryer on low for about a min, it will then boot straight away??

I am getting it ready to be repaired I thought I would post this somewhere as I haven't read it a temporary solution.

dstrakele
04-28-2013, 03:50 AM
If you connect your laptop to an external monitor or HDTV and it displays video on a cold startup, I would suspect a poorly-connected LVDS cable, where heat expansion is closing the connection.

dsheps83@gmail.com
04-28-2013, 04:52 AM
that would make sense, but I don want to void my warranty be trying to check.

Edit: I tried connecting to the TV and it doesn't display on there either.

Maybe others that have this problem can try my temporary solution to get there data before sending it away.

dstrakele
04-28-2013, 05:08 AM
No video on an external monitor as well would indicate a poorly-seated GPU may be the cause.

dsheps83@gmail.com
05-03-2013, 10:48 PM
repair center said they see a few of the g75's for my reason, and they recon they take the video card out clean the contacts and install, which when mine starts its runs fine it just getting it to start.

cl-Albert
05-04-2013, 12:08 AM
repair center said they see a few of the g75's for my reason, and they recon they take the video card out clean the contacts and install, which when mine starts its runs fine it just getting it to start.

Your G75VW may not have this problem, but my current company notebook (refurbished) of a different model would have intermittent problems to POST usually after carrying it around and became progressively worse. Turns out to be a bad memory slot as far as I could tell since the system currently will not POST anymore as long as any memory is installed in that particular slot.

Anyway, if you are able to swap or remove memory without voiding the warranty, you may want to give this a try to check if it could be a bad or dirty memory module or a bad memory slot (shouldn't be a common issue though as far as I know, but you might have dirty memory contacts?). Good luck!

†Austinâ€
05-27-2013, 05:38 PM
Listen my comment? At the first day I got the Asus G55vw, I realize that the hard disk got some problem, always making noise. I sent it back to Asus Center ask for exchange a new laptop for me... About 2 month I keep asking for it, finally i got the new G75vw by paying 2000 more cash. Seems thing does not look so good, problem come out again, same with everyone here, BLACK SCREEN... My one worst, I cant even hear anything, just only the hard disk running sound... Please do help me, at least gimme a better service so I don't have to wait another 2 month...

99GreenySC2
07-02-2013, 04:09 AM
i have this issue, and to be honest its annoying as all get out, i got mine off of Amazon, i am sure i could send in to replace etc etc but i dont have time for that, i bought this partly for gaming and partly to use when i goto Japan...

i get around it eventually but if i let it sit in sleep it does it, or even if i turn it off, doesnt matter.... ugh

dnblack
07-23-2013, 06:29 AM
I had this same problem, but it developed after my warranty had expired: however I believe I have solved it for my case. If your laptop is still under warranty, you should probably just send it in to be repaired because this procedure is hassle, will void your warranty, and could result in collateral damage.

First, confirm that it is not just the backlight by holding a bright flashlight up to the screen while it is on to check for any indication of the lcd working.

Next, do the thing where you pull out the battery, unplug the AC adapter, and hold down the power button for a minute before trying to boot it again. Oddly enough, this worked for me quite a bit but got less and less effective until it didn't work at all...

If these two things fail, try opening the back panel and testing each combo of ram chips and slots... this did nothing for me. Note that there are two ram slots on the front of the motherboard as well, so if you aren't getting POST error beeps, it might be worth skipping this PITA of a step.

Finally, tear the whole damn thing apart following this excellent video as a guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9KHrJKInmA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

When you get to the end, you will be holding the motherboard with the graphics card attached (it is the large daughter board with the copper heatsink attached). Stupidly, you have to remove the heatsink to take the graphics card out of the slot, so you will probably want some thermal paste for when you reinstall it, DO NOT OPERATE WITHOUT THERMAL PASTE. Pull the card out and clean the contacts and the slot, mine had a small piece of copper shorting two contacts, ugggg. Put the whole thing back together carefully and pray.

From what I read, if this doesn't work you may need to flash the BIOS up to ver 223, which is the current one as of this writing, or reflow the graphics card. I have no experience doing either so do some research first.

Hope this is some help.

Danijel Djurica
07-23-2013, 01:37 PM
BLACK SCREEN PROBLEM! SOLVED:

First of all I want to say hello to all you guys here on forum and before I start explaining how to fix this issue I want to mension what laptop I have:

ASUS G75V
Processor i7 Q3630
HDD 750GB
nVidia GTX670 MX * 3GB
8GB RAM
17.3"
WIn8

...this was configuration after I buy it. Then I decide to upgrade it with +8GB of RAM and one 120GB SSD as a C: drive.
Everything was perfect few days after I buy it, after that I have problem like you guys, I have logo of ROG and ater that nothing, just black screen). In some time I need to restart it 10-15 times to get in WIN8. I try everything that is inside this thread but no success :/

Maybe you notice that after ~5 restart of your laptop, you have a message something "Do you want to repair your computer?", because windows8 recognize that you can not enter to it. What I did, I go inside this option and I can not remember exactly the name of the option, but try to find something like "Refresh your PC". He will ask you two (2) options more:
1) Do you want to save files and folder from C: drive (win8 withou program but files from lets say Desktop and User will be left), or
2) You don't want to save files (so, Win8 will be refreshed without any programs, files,..from previous windows)

I choose 1st option and I save my files. After that my laptop has been restarted automatically and he do a "Refreshing" something around 20min. Basically he install WIN8 again and install all nessesary drivers (ASUS programs also).

After that my computer work fine. Here past one month and I didn't receive any black screen issue anymore!!!

Off course, after this step you will have two folders on C: drive. "Windows" and "Windows.old". You can find how to delete this folder on YT, or Google as well.

Of course, this mean that ISSUE regarding to this problem is with DRIVERS, and I thing that is Graphic Card drivers. Because now Im updating windows, antivirus, programs, but not nVidia drivers, and everything works perfect. So the thread that one of you type "I try to roll back my graphic drivers and nothing change" is wrong! Something is wrong with drivers obliously.

Also, I said to myself if this problem back again, I will try to remove battery and to remove 16GB of RAM, wait 20sec and back all try to run it. But luckly, I dont need to do that. This thing with "Refreshing PC" works. And be sure to not update nVidia graphic drivers.

Best regards

TriniGamer
07-30-2013, 09:06 PM
BLACK SCREEN PROBLEM! SOLVED:

First of all I want to say hello to all you guys here on forum and before I start explaining how to fix this issue I want to mension what laptop I have:

ASUS G75V
Processor i7 Q3630
HDD 750GB
nVidia GTX670 MX * 3GB
8GB RAM
17.3"
WIn8

...this was configuration after I buy it. Then I decide to upgrade it with +8GB of RAM and one 120GB SSD as a C: drive.
Everything was perfect few days after I buy it, after that I have problem like you guys, I have logo of ROG and ater that nothing, just black screen). In some time I need to restart it 10-15 times to get in WIN8. I try everything that is inside this thread but no success :/

Maybe you notice that after ~5 restart of your laptop, you have a message something "Do you want to repair your computer?", because windows8 recognize that you can not enter to it. What I did, I go inside this option and I can not remember exactly the name of the option, but try to find something like "Refresh your PC". He will ask you two (2) options more:
1) Do you want to save files and folder from C: drive (win8 withou program but files from lets say Desktop and User will be left), or
2) You don't want to save files (so, Win8 will be refreshed without any programs, files,..from previous windows)

I choose 1st option and I save my files. After that my laptop has been restarted automatically and he do a "Refreshing" something around 20min. Basically he install WIN8 again and install all nessesary drivers (ASUS programs also).

After that my computer work fine. Here past one month and I didn't receive any black screen issue anymore!!!

Off course, after this step you will have two folders on C: drive. "Windows" and "Windows.old". You can find how to delete this folder on YT, or Google as well.

Of course, this mean that ISSUE regarding to this problem is with DRIVERS, and I thing that is Graphic Card drivers. Because now Im updating windows, antivirus, programs, but not nVidia drivers, and everything works perfect. So the thread that one of you type "I try to roll back my graphic drivers and nothing change" is wrong! Something is wrong with drivers obliously.

Also, I said to myself if this problem back again, I will try to remove battery and to remove 16GB of RAM, wait 20sec and back all try to run it. But luckly, I dont need to do that. This thing with "Refreshing PC" works. And be sure to not update nVidia graphic drivers.

Best regards

I will be trying this. I am up to my neck in modelling work and I can't do any thing because of the video card issues.

P.S. Anyone knows where I can get a better video card and if I can replace the current card in my G75VW-AS71?

TriniGamer
08-01-2013, 03:16 AM
Didn't work. Still got the black screen. Installing Ubuntu 12.04 and hoping that I get some life out of it still till I can purchase a Macbook Pro. So disappointed. I only had it for 1yr 1wk 2days. :(

Shinsakuto
09-11-2013, 01:15 AM
I have a diff model. n53j series. Same problem. It seems to be booting into hibernation mode - at least for the screen. My workaround has been:

after boot press fn + f1 (for me f1 is the Zz hibernation key). this puts the processor down.
give it a second
once the lights go, hit any key or fn Zz again.
Bingo, back comes the processor, and the screen (in a choppy fashion) but i can now log.

Im thinking its got to do with the darn asus "boot mode" which is some convoluted cloud garbage they loaded on this unit which would randomly hijack a regular boot. I think this is my ghost residual left since i managed to unhijack that boot process.

hope this works for you. good luck.

piticu
12-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Hey guys,
I sent in my 3 times so far. Paid for shipping out of my own pocket because Asus' shipping is not insured. Last time they replace the HDD. Wow as if a bad HDD stops a machine from posting (lmao).

Did I mention that both times they sent it back it was not properly assembled? IMHO i think this is a UEFI issue.

Taklimi
12-11-2013, 10:04 PM
Hi everyone,
I know that most of you have a lot of problems for migrating from preinstalled Windows 8 (HDD) to your new SSD in ASUS G75VW-AH71. I had it too and I think I solved it. This is the way that works for me and hope it will be useful for you guys too.
1. Belarc Advisor is one of my favorite free system information tools, and you can find the product key of your Windows 8. Download and install it and then Run it. It gives you and HTML file that can be opened by any Explorer and you can see your Windows 8 Product Key. (Honestly, you don’t need this key because your key has been saved in your BIOS too. But it is a safe way to have your key and write it in a place. You can download Belarc Advisor v8.4 from here.
2. Also, you need to have a Windows 8 (RTM) Build 9200 (32bit + 64bit) MSDN. Here is the link that you can download it by torrent.
Windows 8 (RTM) Build 9200 (32bit + 64bit) MSDN
Don’t worry about Serial number or anything. We use or serial number that comes with our laptop and it is legal.
3. Put this Windows 8 (RTM) Build 9200 (32bit + 64bit) MSDN DVD in DVD write.
4. Now you are ready for Process.
5. Remove the 750GB HDD from computer. (I am sure you can do it easily)
6. Install your New SSD in other place for hard in back of your laptop.
7. Now is the part that you should be careful: We should change BIOS and UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface)
8. Start computer and press Delete button many times to go to your BIOS screen.
9. Go to Advanced menu and then check SATA Configuration menu. Now you should see only your SSD and DVD Writer.
10. Now go back to Boot menu and disable Fast Boot.
11. Enable Lunch CSM.
12. Enable Lunch PXE OpROM.
13. In Boot Option #1 select DVD Writer.
14. Go to Security menu, and then select Secure Boot Control and Disable it. (Important)
15. Go to Save & Exit menu and click on Save Changes and Exit.
16. Now your system tries to install Windows 8 from DVD.
17. You should not have any problem with installation of DVD. It doesn’t require any Key for windows because the key of your original windows has been saved in system and it automatically add to your windows. Later when you connect to internet, the windows will be activated. (It is simple and you shouldn’t do anything)
18. After finishing Installation of Windows 8, you can download and install all software and drivers of ASUS G75VW from manufacture site. (Driver and Support Link)
19. Your process is finished now and you can enjoy your windows
20. For adding you other original 750GB Hard, you will go to your BIOS again and go to Save & Exit menu. Then select Restore Defaults and later select Save Changes and Exit.
21. Now check your windows again. Everything should work fine.
22. Shut Down the computer.
23. Remove Battery
24. Install your original 750GB Hard drive.
25. Put back the Battery.
26. Restart your Computer.
27. Now you should see your new hard drive in My Computer.

I didn’t delete or format my original 750GB hard, and base on that, I have the ability to Dual boot to my original preinstalled Windows 8 and my new one that I installed it in SSD. (Definitely I usually use my SSD one because it is extraordinarily fast near 5 sec for reaching to my Desktop screen!!!!!)

For selecting which OS boot first you should go to your BIOS and then Boot menu and under Boot Option Priorities, select Boot Option #1 and then select your OS from (SSD or HDD)

fkulikoff
12-27-2013, 12:52 AM
I had the same problem.. Turned out to be a bad battery. When the battery was in the system would not start. Removed everything was perfect. Try removing battery and start with power supply

firetomysoul
01-25-2014, 05:03 PM
I have a Asus K series and it does and did the same issue. It was past the warranty period and asus would not help me. I thought this was a fluke. But when We bought my wifes asus and it dis the same thing I was able to send it back to amazon. I am never buying asus
computers again. Toshiba all the way.

Rocket-maan
01-29-2014, 01:44 AM
My 2300 dollar G75VW has been RMA'd ...only to return to its little black screen ways mere weeks after the "so called repair job". It works on external monitor, however with horizontal white broken lines across the screen. The GPU is also no where to be found in device manager and installing NVIDIA drivers obviously don't work. Tech guy at HIDevolution concluded a failed graphics card issue after a lengthy remote session, but when I sent it in for repairs earlier in the year, with the exact same problem, they "claimed" that ASUS had changed a defective motherboard,... so now I'm told GPU for the very same symptom.

So their solution was that I should send them a measly 400 bucks in return for a shiny new graphics card, since my warranty had expired, albeit, 3 months of that warranty period being spent at their repair lab. My reply to them, OBVIOUSLY, was, fuaark orrfffff. So YES, I'm pissed...and with a measly 400 bucks totally out of my reach, for the sole purpose of splurging on a shiny new GPU, I resorted to tearing my laptop down, in an effort to discover the elusive clue as to why I've lost my happy face ..."literally",.... so far all I can see is a lack of thermal compound/pads on the GPU and surrounding components...., so I'll reapply compound and rebuild to see whether my fortunes change. So far I've spent more time trying to fix this laptop than enjoying it, while my wife's 400 dollar laptop can handle almost anything you throw at it ,including coffee, juice and baby food, while my so called RIG would disintegrate to utter bits if one as much as sneezes in its general direction ....WHAT A GAMING MACHINE !.....Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Vwooooshenator
02-14-2014, 01:33 AM
In my case, I think it's a driver issue (if I go back to the stock drivers, everything is fine)

If you have the same problem as me, a temporary fix is to cycle through your displays (as mentioned in link below), although this is a little bit tedious.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-system/asus-g55vw-boot-to-black-screen/a82a4425-7e42-4130-9fcf-66c9abd71498

Anyway, good luck finding a good fix!

lucke530
06-01-2014, 01:01 PM
Hi @Espenh

It could be the magnetic sensor messing up, so close the screen and open it up again (when powered off)

You could try to take out the battery from the notebook, then hold down the power on button for 30 - 45 seconds, then put the battery back in, any difference ?

Also if you connect an external screen, still black or does it show the bootup?

I tried it. Took out battery, held the power button for about 30 seconds, put the battery back on. it was still black. I held the power button 30 more seconds with battery attached, the screen flashed and then the screen came back. Thanx

ANUBIS21300
06-20-2014, 04:57 PM
They wont repair mine even it for the same issue i sent 2 months ago for. Now they saying it damage when that is not the case. they just don't WANT to BE bother they got my money and its all good for them. I ASSURE THEM MY PC WAS IN GREAT CONDITION THEY SAID NOPE IT WASNT WE WONT TOUCH PAY US $500 WE WILL FIX. ALL THEY GOING TO DO IS SEND ANOTHER REFURBISH GARRBAGE. WHY CANT THEY CALL ME .

ANUBIS21300
06-20-2014, 05:02 PM
They wont repair mine even it for the same issue i sent 2 months ago for. Now they saying it damage when that is not the case. they just don't WANT to BE bother they got my money and its all good for them. I ASSURE THEM MY PC WAS IN GREAT CONDITION THEY SAID NOPE IT WASNT WE WONT TOUCH PAY US $500 WE WILL FIX. ALL THEY GOING TO DO IS SEND ANOTHER REFURBISH GARRBAGE. WHY CANT THEY CALL ME

ANUBIS21300
06-20-2014, 05:06 PM
Same issue but they said my vga is broken but how.seening it built into board 250 vga 150 odd 45 plus 50 for labor wtf for what

ANUBIS21300
06-20-2014, 05:07 PM
my 2300 dollar g75vw has been rma'd ...only to return to its little black screen ways mere weeks after the "so called repair job". It works on external monitor, however with horizontal white broken lines across the screen. The gpu is also no where to be found in device manager and installing nvidia drivers obviously don't work. Tech guy at hidevolution concluded a failed graphics card issue after a lengthy remote session, but when i sent it in for repairs earlier in the year, with the exact same problem, they "claimed" that asus had changed a defective motherboard,... So now i'm told gpu for the very same symptom.

So their solution was that i should send them a measly 400 bucks in return for a shiny new graphics card, since my warranty had expired, albeit, 3 months of that warranty period being spent at their repair lab. My reply to them, obviously, was, fuaark orrfffff. So yes, i'm pissed...and with a measly 400 bucks totally out of my reach, for the sole purpose of splurging on a shiny new gpu, i resorted to tearing my laptop down, in an effort to discover the elusive clue as to why i've lost my happy face ..."literally",.... So far all i can see is a lack of thermal compound/pads on the gpu and surrounding components...., so i'll reapply compound and rebuild to see whether my fortunes change. So far i've spent more time trying to fix this laptop than enjoying it, while my wife's 400 dollar laptop can handle almost anything you throw at it ,including coffee, juice and baby food, while my so called rig would disintegrate to utter bits if one as much as sneezes in its general direction ....what a gaming machine !.....any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

same issue but they said my vga is broken but how.seening it built into board . MOTHERBOARD 250 , vga 150, odd 45, plus 50 for labor wtf for what

Chabrina
06-25-2014, 03:38 PM
I have the same problem . I bought my laptop from amazon and had it import to me here in South Africa I have had a great time with this laptop and yet yesterday when I try to boot up the laptop black screen I try holding down the power button and still the same thing now when I power it on the keyboard led lights come on and after a moment the whole laptop shuts down. And I never even moved the thing around it was always sitting on my desk and have been very well looked after I still got its original stickers on no scratches or anything. I am very disappointed to pay such amount of mony and after 2 years get a blank

please guys give me some advice on what to do I live here is SOUTH AFRICA and I don, t know what to do
and all my files and all my work is in there

cl-Albert
06-26-2014, 04:24 PM
please guys give me some advice on what to do I live here is SOUTH AFRICA and I don, t know what to do
and all my files and all my work is in there

We may want to keep troubleshooting the black screen problem, but if you didn't already know, it is possible to remove the notebook hard drive and attach the hard drive to a different computer using a USB hard drive adapter to transfer your files to a new system.
Not sure how easy it will be for you to find the USB hard drive adapter, but just wanted you to be aware of this solution.
If you have any local computer stores you trust, you may want to discuss this option with them to see if they can help with this if you are not comfortable trying it yourself.

Chabrina
06-26-2014, 08:07 PM
We may want to keep troubleshooting the black screen problem, but if you didn't already know, it is possible to remove the notebook hard drive and attach the hard drive to a different computer using a USB hard drive adapter to transfer your files to a new system.
Not sure how easy it will be for you to find the USB hard drive adapter, but just wanted you to be aware of this solution.
If you have any local computer stores you trust, you may want to discuss this option with them to see if they can help with this if you are not comfortable trying it yourself.

Thank you Albert i will try your option hopefully i can get my files back thanks for the post

Freezaburn
07-03-2014, 12:50 PM
Hi guys,

I am also in South Africa and purchased 5 of these ASUS G75VX laptops from a local reseller in Oct 2013.
Thus far it appears there are two major issues that we have experienced:

1. The power adapters tend to die after only a few months. :mad:
2. The black screen issue on startup. :eek:

Resolution to point 1:
The original power adapter is quite a beast - 180W, 19.5V ~ 9.23A DC output!
I found that a universal adapter could charge the battery fully whilst the unit was off, and that it could even mange to run the unit.
I would however suggest that you set the Windows' power scheme to "Power Save" mode so as not to demand too much amps from the universal adapter. The adapter can only provide +/- 66% of the maximum current that the OEM can provide but works.
Universal Adapter specs: Manhattan AC to DC Power Adapter,19 V, AC/DC, 120 W ~ 6.32A, Retail Box.
(It also comes with 10 different notebook connectors so you can use it on a large variety of different branded laptops)

Edit by cl-Albert: Anybody who has a bad original ASUS adapter should probably hang onto it and check the warranty with your local ASUS support to see if it may still be covered since it may have the same warranty as the notebooks in some regions, but policies might vary from region to region. Try this page for ASUS Support contact info: http://support.asus.com/Hotlines.aspx?SLanguage=en

Resolution to point 2:
Since I use the machine for development, I couldn't afford to wait x weeks for a repair-return under warranty.
I simply dismantled the unit and discovered that the VGA connector from the board to the screen was very poorly seated.
It has simply moved slightly, causing a bad contact. I seated the connector (still too loose for my liking) and stuck it down with some tape to keep it in place. Reassembled again and have not had the issue since!

This is directed specifically to Chabrina:
ASUS has pulled out of South Africa so the only warranty-repair centre here is a place called PartServe in Linbro Park, Johannesburg.
(Muztek in Midrand do repairs and warranty claims, but ONLY if you purchased the unit from them)

As per pervious suggestions, if you require to get your data off the unit, simply remove the hard drive, plug it into an external SATA bay with USB and copy it to another system as a backup.

I hope this post helps others who find themselves in a similar situation...:cool:

Ichigo0Soul
07-22-2014, 05:49 PM
I've got a particularly bad black screen issue. It worked fine for the last year and a half of ownership, but yesterday, a couple of hours after changing my hard drive controller, the laptop just shut off.

I turned it back on and I got the bios screen, but once it got past that it just gave me a blank black screen. The backlight was on, but there was no Windows logo or anything. I restarted it to check the bios settings and confirmed that my SSD appeared in the bios menu as the first bootable device (which it did) and hit save and restart. The same thing happened again.
I then did a hard reset and the computer powered on, but this time without anything on the screen. It stayed black without the backlight coming on, and the HDD light and keyboard backlight only stayed lit for a couple of seconds before turning off.
I opened the computer back up to verify that everything had been hooked up properly, and I didn't find any loose wires/connectors.
I tried holding the power button down to do a power cycle, and that didn't do anything. I also tried hooking up to an external monitor and I got no signal on my display.

I'm at a loss as to what to do and I'm fairly certain the computer isn't covered under warranty anymore as it is a year and a half old.

MasakiX
08-30-2014, 06:02 PM
I've got a particularly bad black screen issue. It worked fine for the last year and a half of ownership, but yesterday, a couple of hours after changing my hard drive controller, the laptop just shut off.

I turned it back on and I got the bios screen, but once it got past that it just gave me a blank black screen. The backlight was on, but there was no Windows logo or anything. I restarted it to check the bios settings and confirmed that my SSD appeared in the bios menu as the first bootable device (which it did) and hit save and restart. The same thing happened again.
I then did a hard reset and the computer powered on, but this time without anything on the screen. It stayed black without the backlight coming on, and the HDD light and keyboard backlight only stayed lit for a couple of seconds before turning off.
I opened the computer back up to verify that everything had been hooked up properly, and I didn't find any loose wires/connectors.
I tried holding the power button down to do a power cycle, and that didn't do anything. I also tried hooking up to an external monitor and I got no signal on my display.

I'm at a loss as to what to do and I'm fairly certain the computer isn't covered under warranty anymore as it is a year and a half old.

Something SERIOUSLY wrong with the G75 series.

About 1 1/2 years old now and I had this same thing happen to me today, exactly the same thing.

Laptop worked "fine" yesterday turned it on this a.m. and black screen. Nothing has worked.
I have an extended warranty that I have to call about on Monday so hopefully that helps absorb some of the frustration.

I sent this laptop in about a year ago for display problems (the vertical lines up the screen across the whole panel) and they never fixed it. Told me that's just how it is LOL. Also complained of the DVD player, that started going bad a few months after their "repair". THEN, there was the ethernet, never would connect through ethernet, they said it got fixed.....IT NEVER DID.

Now this! Absolutely the last piece of Asus gear I buy.

Misacitamane
12-11-2018, 09:25 PM
Happen to me the same with my new ASUS ROG STRIX SCAR GL703GM-E5016,

I have to press the power button to switch it off and then again to switch it on, annoying as hell.

I can touch use the keyboard and it makes sound and so on but black is screen is there, brand new computer.

Did anyone find the solution?

BTW, battery in low safe energy doing almost nothing, with brightness really low 2 hours.

Misacitamane
12-12-2018, 05:49 PM
Just to let tou know I found the solution 100%
So many people with this problem and the solution is so easy xD

Just go to bios and desactivate, wake on lid and that's it.

Misacitamane
12-13-2018, 05:26 PM
Just to let tou know I found the solution 100%
So many people with this problem and the solution is so easy xD

Just go to bios and deactivate, wake on lid and that's it.

Ok guys sorry, it does't work...
I don't know what should I do.