PDA

View Full Version : Random Lockups + WiFi Upgrade

Mortifix
02-05-2011, 12:55 AM
I just updated my vbios to 93 OD and I noticed that I was having problems with some flickering (mainly when I plug and unplug my power cable) so I reflashed it with the default 93vbios and it solved the problem. Now I seem to be getting random lockups for some reason. It normally locks up once then when I restart it, it will lock up again. After that it seems to run fine for awhile. Is this have to do with the vbios?

Also, I am wondering if I can install an Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 in the G73JH, and if so will I need to purchase a 3rd antenna?

MarkS
02-05-2011, 01:23 AM
I haven't heard of any lockups due to the newer display adapter firmware.

I personally would buy and install a third antenna if I installed an Intel 6300, but there are users that report it works OK with two antennas. There's also the 6200 which only needs two antennas, but it may not have features you're looking for in the 6300 (which are "...up to 450 Mbps and 2X2 greater range with 3 antennas for faster, more reliable wireless connectivity" as far as I can tell).

Mortifix
02-05-2011, 02:18 AM
Ok thanks for the advice. I ordered a third antenna. Yeah I am not sure if it was related to the firmware either, but this started after I did that. It almost seems like a power issue because another problem was after it locked up for me the first time, my secondary hard drive became unallocated and I had to reformat it. Could this be a power supply issue or motherboard issue?

(I don't think I have experienced a lockup when I was running on battery power, but it's not locking up enough to see if this is a solution.)

Also, I don't know if this is a big deal but my computer is recognizing my graphics card as the 5800.

Chastity@ASUS
02-05-2011, 06:26 AM
The flickering happens when the Memory clocks change. It's normal for the AMD cards. Also the non-Asus drivers identify it as HD5800 Series, which is also normal.

Mortifix
02-05-2011, 08:21 AM
So should I switch back to the OD version? Also, I couldn't get OD to work in CCC. The box was checked, but it didn't let me uncheck it or edit any of the settings.

Chastity@ASUS
02-05-2011, 01:35 PM
If you want the Overdrive, then by all means reflash. You also need to hit the lock icon button to unlock the panel. (it's above the checkbox) I've been running with fix_od2.rom for awhile and works great, and offers 2.5+ hrs of battery life :)

GW2
02-06-2011, 01:27 AM
Does overdrive make much of a difference? I actually can't remember if i flashed my VBIOS with the OD version or not.

Chastity@ASUS
02-06-2011, 05:22 AM
If you want to overclock, it makes it easy to do. Open up CCC and see if you have an Overdrive page. If not, then you need to reflash to get it.