PDA

View Full Version : G74SX-NH71 user idiot

esotericman
05-21-2012, 07:04 PM
OK. I give up. I must have tried to do more than I thought I could. I did a clean install, following the threads with the most current drivers... and I've built nearly a dozen towers from parts, sans issue... oy.

Currently, my system mutes randomly (software, I'm sure, even if I'm an admitted idiot). Also I can not get a dvd movie to play to save my life at a watchable resolution (having tried window media player and VLC).

I am unsure if my track pad has the short in it, as it does spastic things, but only sometimes.

Thus, without too much "you're a damn idiot" could you fine specimens of G Series notebooks, provide me with ideas to fix this problem without too much comedy?

I think I'm at the boot, nuke, reinstall stage, but I'd like to be sure it's just Windows 7 issues and not hardware issues.

Ideas?

Thanks, and yes I know this is annoying.

BrodyBoy
05-21-2012, 07:26 PM
It's not annoying....this is what user forums are for. :) But to get helpful, focused responses, you need to give some more information. Can you please describe your clean install process? For example:

Which Win 7 version did you use (SP1?)
Did you do any Windows updates, and when (during the install process)?
What drivers did you install, which versions, in what order?
What other software have you installed?

esotericman
05-21-2012, 09:29 PM
My man, you ask great questions, sadly it was several months ago (January). So I will not have the order of the drivers. I suspect it was in exactly the order the clean install thread suggests, although I believe the sound drivers followed the video drivers. In this case, I think the hardware requires two sets of controls for the sound? I know I have two speaker icons in my tool tray.

The nVidia was the slightly outdated but stable from the company, I did not mess with any of the betas. Nor have I tried the newest driver.

I'm currently using Windows 7 Enterprise. I installed the drivers first, then let Windows do the updates. It is current on all updates, well up to last week.

Is there a diagnostic program I can run to have my drivers reported, or would that even help?

As for other software, it's the normal stuff, Office, Browsers, Adobe light room, and Lord of the Rings Online. I can get a more full list when I have it in front of me. I'm more than willing to bang this thing back into shape, even if it takes a few days. Who wouldn't after dropping the cash into it? :) In any case, LotRO runs awesome at nearly the highest resolution without hitching, but I can not get DVD's to play. But I thought before I updated the video drivers, I'd start working on the sound issue.

Thanks.

dstrakele
05-21-2012, 11:18 PM
1) Are these Blu-Ray DVD's? If so, Media Player won't play 'em and I believe you need VLC version 2.0 or later (unsure of this since I don't use this player). The G74SX comes with Roxio CinePlayer, which can play Blu-Ray if configured correctly, but is rather buggy. And this doesn't even get into problems with digital rights management issues...

What about CD's and DVD's that you've recorded? Do they play?

2) I recommend you uninstall your current touchpad driver from "Control Panel - Uninstall a program", then REBOOT to let Windows install its Plug-N-Play touchpad driver. Use this for awhile to see if you still have erratic cursor issues when using the touchpad normally (not during typing). If you do, it is likely the erratic cursor movement results from a hardware issue.

3) The 2 speaker icons in your System Tray may be a tell for your random mute issue. I only have one speaker icon.

What do these speaker icons display when you mouse over them or right-click them? Are they different or duplicates?

Thus, without too much "you're a damn idiot" could you fine specimens of G Series notebooks, provide me with ideas to fix this problem without too much comedy?

That's good - I get enough "you're a damn idiot" at home. I'll try to keep my lame jokes to a minimum...

esotericman
05-22-2012, 01:19 AM
These are not blu-ray, nor does this system have a blu-ray player. I have the most recent version of VLC and Media Player. I now use a video player from COWON, but the resolution is so horrific, I very nearly feel like a kid trying to watch scrambled channels after my parents have gone to bed! Oy. Seriously, I have towers from the 90's which can play theses DVD's better! Oh, I also get green screens on youtube. Riddle me that, LotRO on high res, crap res = fail.

I will give the touchpad driver a go when I know I'm having issues. I'm old enough and from a small enough town to have learned how to type on a manual (you know, no electricity!) so my heavy handed key pounding might be making the pad a bit grumpy. I'm willing to accept fault when it is due!

The two icons are "speakers:100%" the other is "Realtech HD Audio Manager". Furthermore, when the sound is working, what the heck is up with the sound on this beasty? I mean really, some websites are loud, and some, no matter how much I jump up and down, can not be heard over my heavy breathing. When the DVD's are working, it's the same deal, some are actually heard, some are so quiet I give up.

Feel free to give me carp (mispell intended).

Thanks!

dstrakele
05-22-2012, 03:05 AM
If I was in your situation, I'd probably try updating audio and video drivers first. I might also try uninstalling Creative THX TruStudio and playing with the graphics equalizer that will then be available in Realtek HD Audio Manager. The 2 speaker icons in your System Tray are correct.

If that failed to bring any joy, I'd try cleaning the lens on the ODD, and possibly even removing it, cleaning the contacts and whatever debris might be behind the front plate (see http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?12506-slimtype-bd-e-ds4e1s-WILL-NOT-READ-ANY-MEDIA&p=104329&viewfull=1#post104329).

The large touchpad is susceptible to palm contacts, resulting in erratic cursor movement when typing. This is a different issue than erratic cursor movement when using the touchpad. I've found the Sentelic 9.1.7.7 driver works well to disable the touchpad while typing. However, the G74SX systems ship with both Sentelic and Synaptics touchpads. I don't know which is on your system.

The erratic cursor movement during touchpad use can be either software or hardware caused. Removing your current touchpad driver and using the Windows driver may allow you to see if this is a driver issue. But the problem can be very intermittent, making it difficult to troubleshoot.

esotericman
05-22-2012, 02:07 PM
And if I did not install Creative THX TruStudio?

You know I assumed something there... I assumed it was in all of those threads when I did the install, but I have never seen it pop up. And I will say the drivers on the RealTek site are less than easy to read.

I'll try the latest stable driver for the video card, but I have uninstalled and reinstalled the sound drivers.

Also, via the ASUS support site, I see a few updates which I have not messed with yet.

I will check the ODD, but do not believe that's the issue, as things play just fine once they get going, if only at Etch-a-sketch resolutions.

Thanks.

chrsplmr
05-22-2012, 02:26 PM
Welcome EsoTericMan to ROGforum ... Now this is a Thread..Thanks.c.

Myk SilentShadow
05-22-2012, 02:48 PM
Ok, to stop your laptop randomly muting (this is a quick easy fix). it just happens to be a pain in the rear...im listening to music, I load something and it temp mutes, or tones down the sound...annoying as hell when you're a freak for music lol.
1a. Click Start Menu
1b. Click Control Panel
2. Click Hardware and Sound
3. Click the Sound title, not "adjust system volume", "change system sounds" or "manage audio devices"
4. Click on the Communications Tab
5. Where it says "When Windows detects communications activity" click the little check circle next to "Do nothing"

Another thing you can do is this that might help in the "Playback" tab in the main Sound window click on "Speakers" then click on the "Advanced" tab and select "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" under the "Exclusive Mode" part near the bottom of the "Adavanced" tab

Oh and look up Windows Media Player Classic Home Cinema....when everything else fails, this is a fantastic piece of software that has gone way beyond it's grass roots WMP 6.4 origins

Hope this helps :)

esotericman
05-22-2012, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but my issue is full mute on reboot. I can go to the volume icon, and change the percentage, and see a tiny green bar leap up to maybe 5%, but no sound is heard. I can reboot, disable the drivers, reinable, and nothing, it's random. In safemode, while muted, I get a "services failed", but when I run the idiot fix it tool, windows gives me an idiot message about not being able to run services. I love circular logic...

dstrakele
05-22-2012, 03:59 PM
In a clean Windows installation, Creative THX TruStudio is not installed, unless you download and install it. It is only preset equalizer settings anyway. If you launch Realtek HD Audio Manager on a system without THX TruStudio, you will see a "Sound Effects" tab within the "Speakers" section. It is divided into an "Environment" section at the top with an "Equalizer" section on the bottom. The Equalizer section displays various preset equalizer settings - Pop, Live, Club, and Rock. But if you mouse over the button to the right of the "Reset" button, it displays "Change to graphic EQ". Click on it and a graphic equalizer with 10 adjustable frequency bands will be displayed.

There is nothing in the Equalizer section that would cause the volume to to change randomly during playback, however. I like @Myk's suggestion for that, but I can't figure out what Windows would be detecting as communication on your system to reduce the volume. It's supposed to change the volume only if you are using your laptop to make or receive phone calls.

In my Sound dialog, I have the default configuration to reduce volume by 80% when communication is detected and have never encountered any muting of music playback. Have you installed any 3rd Party communication programs on your system?

EDIT: I just saw your post made just prior to mine. So it's intermittent mute on reboot? Didn't catch that in your OP. Would it be appropriate to use a "You damn idiot!" here?
;>{)>

Check out suggestion #2 in http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-sound/sound-is-muted-after-reboot-intermittently/87c9dadb-303a-46dd-a823-f4d3687c5b77 and create a new account with Administrator rights, then attempt to reproduce your mute on reboot issue. However, if this mute on reboot issue is recent, then Windows System Restore (suggestion #1) would be the way to go.

esotericman
05-22-2012, 05:27 PM
I had not thought about trying a secondary Admin account. Since it is random, upon reboot, I never know when it will occur. I do have a secondary account, without admin rights, and logging out of my account and into that one does not kick Windows hard enough to knock off the mute issue.

I honestly think the sound drivers is causing some sort of Dolby effect... you know, you used to hit the button and the tape deck would be half muted... Sure it cleaned up the sound... I feel it's overcompensating. But that is completely separate from the muting...

I'll double check the sound driver tonight.

Thanks.

dstrakele
05-22-2012, 06:03 PM
If booting into another account (even without Administrator rights) failed to resolve the issue, the odds of success that a new Administrator account will resolve the problem are very small. I just figured if you had to create a new account, why not give it full rights for the best possible chance of resolution?

When you did your current clean Windows installation, did you run into any problems installing Windows or any of the Windows Updates? The reason I ask is that your muting and DVD resolution issues appear unusual - like the Windows installation itself may be borked in some fashion. BrodyBoy has said that if you encounter problems during a Windows installation, it is best just to start over rather than try to repair the problem installation. You need a good OS "foundation" to ensure everything else will work right on your system.

Have you checked the Windows System and Application Event Logs to see if any of the Error and Warning Events point to a troubleshooting direction?

esotericman
05-22-2012, 09:20 PM
I agree completely that there is little likelihood that a second account would help, this is a driver conflict or W7 problem, not a permissions issue, unless W7 is so alien that administrator level privileges to change the volume...

In any case, the install was flawless, every update has been flawless, not a bork in the bunch. I do all of my updates manually, so I keep an eye on the system.

I will check the Event Log, as I had a mute problem two days ago, again. I do know the video player issues, including a green screen on youtube (in two different browsers {firefox and chrome}) do not show up there.

dstrakele
05-22-2012, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but my issue is full mute on reboot. I can go to the volume icon, and change the percentage, and see a tiny green bar leap up to maybe 5%, but no sound is heard. I can reboot, disable the drivers, reinable, and nothing, it's random. In safemode, while muted, I get a "services failed", but when I run the idiot fix it tool, windows gives me an idiot message about not being able to run services. I love circular logic...

How do you recover from the "mute on reboot" issue?

EDIT: I see in http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-sound/sound-stops-working-on-my-computer-and-after-a-few/08482ed4-abb5-4422-81d6-afb000d63e3f you report "A few reboots later, the sound works fine." Plus you ALWAYS hear the sound at the splash screen prior to when Windows is loaded.

You also report when booting into Safe Mode, the error "audio services are not running" is displayed. It may be useful to enable boot logging (see http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Advanced-startup-options-including-safe-mode) on your system to see what goes on...

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/56d0bf26-d5a7-42fd-9b95-d6ba89c53f6e gives you an idea of what Windows Services may be affected when you get the "Audio Service is not running" error.

What 3rd Party Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, Remote Access, or Disk Management software have you installed to this system? These are the usual suspects that may cause conflicts that can shut down the Audio Service or its dependent services.

esotericman
05-23-2012, 03:28 AM
Mute on reboot has only been fixed with multiple reboots!

I run avast only from your list of possible programs. I do not hear the Windows splash screen every time, I hear the ASUS post tones, I enabled them to ensure it was not a hardware issue, but a software one. I know, not quite an idiot. :)

I will try to do some tinkering in the next day or two, I see nVidia released a new driver today as well.

dstrakele
05-23-2012, 11:59 AM
Boot into Safe Mode to disable other drivers that may interfere with the video driver installation (like Avast). Choose "Custom Install" and check the "clean install" checkbox so your current NVIDIA driver is removed prior to installation.

esotericman
05-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, I have done said update, and will advise as problems do or do not occur. I suspect the devils will be back shortly.

esotericman
05-26-2012, 02:09 AM
Well, the video play back issues have been fixed thus far. Internet videos are playing as has one DVD which would not play on this system before the driver update.

Sadly, the mute issue also just occurred...

I have four classes of errors which occurred many times.

Service Control Manager : The Peer
Service Control Manager : The ATKGFNEX Service service depends the following service ASMMAP64. This service might not be installed.
Microsoft Windows WLAN Authentication : WLAN
Microsoft Windows PNRPSvc : Peer Name Resolution Protocol cloud did not start

So while I not idea how to fix it, I can see the WLAN is why reboots are probably so darn slow. But of those four I see nothing which might knock out my sound. Ideas?

Thanks again.

dstrakele
05-26-2012, 02:50 AM
From the errors you posted, it looks like the ASUS ATK Package might be involved. It controls the function keys, 3 of which control speaker volume. One of them is the speaker MUTE key.

You might try my recommendation in another recent thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?15862-G73S-ATK0100-launch-error&p=109550&viewfull=1#post109550

esotericman
05-30-2012, 11:48 PM
Next idea?

I uninstalled the ATK Package and rebooted. Upon reboot, my mute issue was back. I installed the updated ATK Package, and rebooted. Here I am, muted.

Off to reboot X times to get my sound back...

dstrakele
05-31-2012, 12:09 AM
1) What version ATK Package is currently installed on your system (from Control Panel - Uninstall a program)?

2) When you choose Fn-F10, do you see a display on the screen alternate between "Mute" and "Volume ON"?

esotericman
06-01-2012, 03:56 AM
1) ATK Package 1.0.0015
2) The fn f10 mutes and unmutes, but still no sound. Actually I haven't had sound in a couple days now...

dstrakele
06-01-2012, 04:29 AM
I've got some configuration settings I'd like see on your system's Sound Dialog as well as have you run the Speaker Configuration Wizard from there.. However, I need to post screenshots, but I'm on my phone at the moment. They will be forthcoming...

esotericman
06-01-2012, 02:01 PM
Rockin. No rush. I rebooted after that last post, and magically the sound poured forth. I danced a dance, which was idiotic, but in line with the thread.

Thanks!

esotericman
06-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Well, I still have the random mute on boot issue. Although last night it only took 1 reboot to get the sound back.

On another question, does anyone have any suggestions for figuring out if my WLAN card is an issue or if it's my routers/ISP?

Thanks again.

brecker
06-04-2012, 01:57 PM
well idk much about ur issue, but just a question, did you tried plugging in / out headphones while is muted? by any chance the sound out of the headphones is mono or you have any issues there?

sometimes the plug connector brakes, maybe because of stress, making the pc think it has something plugged in falsely, causing it to mute... i've never figured out how to make windows force not to read this value to force the sound out of the speaker... idk in this laptops but my guess it is an external replasable sound board attached to the motherboard... if this is the case a replacement shoudn't be too expensive, also maybe asus can fix it themselves if you are under warranty

dstrakele
06-04-2012, 02:44 PM
@brecker has a good idea about troubleshooting with headphones. The fact that you recover sound to the speakers by multiple rebooting is concerning. It is hard to imagine how it could be a software issue (since a single reboot should do the trick if there was some driver conflict), and easier to imagine a hardware problem with the headphone jack is cutting off sound to the speakers. Does plugging in and removing headphones restore speaker sound the same as a reboot?

But let's try some software troubleshooting. If you bring up the Windows Sound Dialog (Start - type in "Sound" in the searchbox and select "Sound" under the results for "Control Panel"), are the "Speakers" selected as the default device (white checkmark in green circle) in the "Playback" tab as shown in this image: 9028

If you select "Speakers" and run through the Speaker Configuration Wizard by clicking on the "Configure" button, does it change behavior?

I recommend starting a new thread about your WLAN issue. Folks that are more knowledgeable about WLAN issues are more likely to respond to a thread with a WLAN problem title. Make your title a short description of the issue and describe it in detail in the OP. This will also make it easier for users experiencing similar issues to find your thread by searching for it.

esotericman
06-05-2012, 01:48 AM
I will give that a look the next time it mutes. Today, well today I have sound.

As for the headphone jack, I'll check that next time as well. I have only used that a few times and it has worked fine. But I'll check. Actually, I always have the ASUS post sounds. If it was a headphone jack issue, would I hear that via the speakers? Meaning, if you reboot with headphones in the jack, do you also get the post sound in the headphones and speakers? If my jack was shorting out, and sending a false "headphones in jack" signal at post, would I hear it via the speakers?

WLAN, new thread, roger.

Thanks!

brecker
06-05-2012, 02:35 AM
idk what you mean with asus post sounds, but if those sounds are made from within windows you shoudn't hear them with the jack plugged in, if it is some sort of bios sound then it will be there no matter what

esotericman
06-05-2012, 03:22 AM
In the Bios, you can enable a tone that is played at post. I hear that every time I boot. It is inside windows that things go dead from time to time and the only workaround is a reboot or several. My question was directed at the possible short in the jack. If it's shorting out or damaged, would I always hear the Bios post via the speakers?

brecker
06-05-2012, 06:24 AM
yes, at least thats how it behaved on my old notebook when that happened... took me a year to sort out the problem, if i pressed a handfull of keys before bootup the speakers screamed, but there was no way for me to get sound on windows, figured it out on linux trying different audio drivers and versions, till i used oss, which does not support jack detection... but it still has to support your audio card, there is a good chance it doesn't given that is an old unsupported driver and your machine is not... but if it does stop working completely and you are too lazy for fixing it, it could be an option for having speakers...

usually it takes someone to trip over the connected cable for the jack connector to brake... making the cable support the notebook weight is another likely cause... the audio throught the jack can be working although the speakers won't turn on if it detects something is plugged...