PDA

View Full Version : Asus G74sx Lockup and mouse problem

trickboarder247
05-22-2012, 06:55 AM
So my G74sx has a problem where it will lock up. I can still move my mouse, but cannot select anything on my screen. Sometimes the computer will come out of it on its own, while other times i have to manually reboot it using the power button.

It does it even after restoring to factory defaults using the recovery discs.

When it comes out of it on its own, the onscreen mouse graphic gets messed up to where there it is distorted and almost looks like a stereoscopic image. There is the normal mouse graphic, and a ghosted image (usually rainbow colored) right next to it. This fixes itself if i reboot the computer. I

've updated the graphics drivers but the problem still persists.

thanks for any help

PILGRIM
05-22-2012, 07:10 AM
Welcome to the Forum. What ASUS applications do you currently have?
If you have the ASUS Express Gate Cloud Utility, try uninstalling it.
It does random lockup to the OS.

Also, what nVidia driver version are you using now?

trickboarder247
05-22-2012, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the quick reply,

I'm running nvidia graphics driver 296.1

I recently did a factory reinstall using the asus recovery discs so much of the asus software is currently installed.
When I first got the notebook I uninstalled all the bloatware.. when the lockups started I began thinking maybe I uninstalled something I shouldn't have. So I put it back to stock and haven't messed with it since.

I just uninstalled Express Gate Cloud

the following are installed:

Asus ai recovery
asus face login
asus live update
asus power4gear hybrid
asus splendid video enhancement technology
asus usb charger plus
asus virtual camera
asus webstorage
ATK package
asus vibe

Thanks for your help!

PILGRIM
05-22-2012, 07:44 AM
Apologies, I mistook the Express Gate Cloud for the Web storage.
The Web storage is the one causing lockups..
At any rate, I would un-install the Express Gate Cloud, too, if I were you.

I have on my G74 the following bloatwares:
ATK Package (actually, a driver)
Power4Gear Hybrid
USB Charger Plus
Virtual Camera

Previously, I tried the Face Log-in, and it didn't give any trouble.
All the rest, you may remove them.

PILGRIM
05-22-2012, 07:49 AM
As for the nVidia driver, I currently have the ASUS certified 296.16 version.
Except for an instance where I experienced a pink screen and then recovered,
it is running stable until now.

For diagnostic purposes, try using the older but more stable versions like the 285.62 WHQL.

trickboarder247
05-22-2012, 05:40 PM
Thanks for your help,

I've uninstalled everything while keeping what you've suggested. I'm currently reverting back to the older nvidia driver.

Hopefully this solves things,

Thanks again

trickboarder247
05-24-2012, 06:06 AM
So it hasn't frozen at all yet. However, when it boots up the screen now flashes pink for a second. If that's not a huge issue I guess I could get used to it...

I also couldn't watch youtube videos...they displayed as a green box. I fixed the problem by right clicking on the video and disabling hardware acceleration from within flash.

Other than those issues it seems to be working fine.

PILGRIM
05-24-2012, 07:38 AM
Glad to hear the freezing is gone. The nVidia 296.10 and 296.16 seem to like pink.
Try experimenting with the other WHQL nVidia drivers to remove it e.g. 285.62 version, etc.

An-0_0-bis
07-13-2012, 11:16 AM
I have these EXACT same issues, I've only had the laptop for a mere 3 weeks and for the last 4-5 days it has been freezing every hour or so during basic web-browsing tasks, one time even while idle. I can move the mouse around, close and open current windows, but eventually it all locks up and I have to reset. I've decided to uninstall much of what you have suggested, and reverted my gfx driver back to the latest ASUS recommended.

The only thing is...I don't have that Asus web storage thing, it's the only thing I don't have that you listed. I left the live update on, and the ai recovery because I'm still yet to make a recovery CD for windows. Could they be a possible cause?

dstrakele
07-13-2012, 12:53 PM
Use Windows System Reside to restore your system to at least one week in the past, before your lockups occurred.

Sledgehammer
07-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Apologies, I mistook the Express Gate Cloud for the Web storage.

uninstalling "Web storage" this is THE Answer!!!

I have been checking for this solution for ages. (6 months)

Was having complete system "Lock UP " every 24hrs requiring a hard reboot every time.
If I did a standard restart before 24hrs, the system would be stable for another 24hrs. If I missed the reboot, I would have
a complete system Lock after 24hrs. There were other suggestions of installing a Clean OS, but I am lucky I held off on
that.

Thanks for this suggestion, that worked perfectly! No freeze/Lockup now for over 48hrs.

Sad UPDATE:

System Lockup, and Freezing are BACK.....
However I can get 1.5 - 2 days before the lockup. Seems if I run on "Entertainment" It will be less time
before the Lockup appears, on High Performance the machine runs closer to 2 days.

I'll continue uninstalling Asus SW one by one to see if the problem can be pinned down.

UpDate:

- Asus offered to rma the notebook (nice but not implimented)
- Locked Up AGAIN - reset with powerbutton - would not boot
- Could have recovered but decided on a Clean install.
- Installed a Clean Ultimate 7 .iso, only using only nessessary / required drivers
- Updated Bios with modded G74SX_TFIX.203 (I Like it!)
- Now it's stable and Fast - boots in 60sec - No Lockups!
- Recommend - >Check Forum 2nd Sticky on CPU Throttling

- Seems like Clean Install is the best solution - Should have done this from 1st day.
- Now a happy ROG G74sx User, was previously considering replacing the unit (Not Now!)

-Hope this helps someone - and if you have problems >CLEAN iNSTALL!

PILGRIM
07-23-2012, 01:08 PM
uninstalling "Web storage" this is THE Answer!!!

I have been checking for this solution for ages. (6 months)

Was having complete system "Lock UP " every 24hrs requiring a hard reboot every time.
If I did a standard restart before 24hrs, the system would be stable for another 24hrs. If I missed the reboot, I would have
a complete system Lock after 24hrs. There were other suggestions of installing a Clean OS, but I am lucky I held off on
that.

Thanks for this suggestion, that worked perfectly! No freeze/Lockup now for over 48hrs.

Too bad it took you this long to come to the ROG Forums. :p
Could have saved you the time and trouble, had you came earlier.
The ASUS Web Storage had been determined by the early G74 users (way back 2011)
to be causing intermittent lockups. Uninstalling it is the workaround, so far.

Doing a clean OS install is a proven way of stabilizing Windows,
but its purpose would be defeated if one would still install all bloatwares-
particularly the problematic ones e.g. Web Storage, Live Update, etc.

Hope all is well with your ROG laptop now..