PDA

View Full Version : Replacing screen

damobster54
02-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Hi Everyone,
Just got this laptop G73JH and I love it! I got an old best buy version, and replacing everything I can on it such as RAM, adding bluetooth, repasting, SSD, etc etc. I have no worries about opening this baby up because I've done it many times before on other laptops, but can't say I've ever replaced a screen before (I am getting one with a 1080p resolution. My only main concern is replacing the plastic bezel because usually you just remove the screws. But I only see two at the bottom corners, so are the long rubber slits at the sides and top just tabs that I need to pop out?
Thanks in advance!

Sam

Chastity@ASUS
02-08-2011, 04:24 AM
http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/506184-upgrading-g73jh-best-buy-screen-guide.html

xfinrodx
02-09-2011, 02:43 AM
+1

Be gentle with the bezel: It is extremely thin. The monitor cable plug is taped in pretty viciously too... I think your resume' shows you already know how to be careful, so these are simply tips from one who has been here! ;-)

I used a thin flat-head jeweler's screwdriver and *gently* inserted it into the crack (where it felt like a snap lock was) and twisted slightly to help release the snap locks. I followed the linked guide to the letter, took my time and it worked out marvelously! I did have a couple minor deviations from the guide, though. It seems ASUS changed the hinge design (or assembly order) somewhere along the way, as I did need to remove the hinge from the screen shell. The hinge brackets were installed over a couple screen supports that needed to come out. You'll figure it out though!

(The long rubber slits stay in-place. The snap tabs are all around the bezel.)

damobster54
02-09-2011, 01:48 PM
Thanks everyone for the helpful links! I ended up changing everything the same day I posted, and about 2 hours later everything was a great success! Screen was luckily the easiest of everything, keyboard was the hardest by far (who idea was it to use tape?!). Definitely recommend the upgrades to everyone, especially the repasting. I used OCZ and it now idles in the low 50s, and has yet to go over 73 while using futuremark or gaming.

Pyro411
02-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Somewhat on/off topic. Damobster did you find a 17.3" screen running 1080@120hz or are you running @60? If there's a source for getting a 120hz screen like in the G73JW-3DE I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of them for my G73Jh when it's back from Repair.

damobster54
02-09-2011, 02:53 PM
Hi Pyro,
I got the LG screen that runs at 60Hz. I haven't been able to find one that runs at 120hz yet. I would imagine that it would cost a lot more than the 160 that I paid for it. I'll let you know if I run across one though!

xfinrodx
02-11-2011, 02:00 AM
Geeze... I paid ~$120 with shipping for my 1080p screen. Prices have gone up I guess!