PDA

View Full Version : G73 JH lockups/Hitching/Artifacts

Jabbapop
02-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Okay so I just got this thing and it's like I go to play oblivion and it's fine for a few minutes and then the screen goes to vertical stripes alternating I think yellow and black (I don't recall exactly, it put me in such a daze!) Then I go to play some other games (HL2:Ep2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernoybyl all details high) and it every so often does a hiccup like it's loading. It's jarring, it lasts a few seconds, so it's significant. Perhaps it's simply the amount of resources being accessed, though the 6 Gigs of ram and 1 gig of video ram should be enough for games that are 4 years old right? These games too also occasionally freeze up: the last image locks itself up on the screen and I have to remove the battery. I did the driver sweeper/ati crap cleaner and installed the 11.1 fresh. I also updated the realtek driver from their website, and still the same. Did I get a lemon? Mortar tanks! (Many thanks, in my native language of gibberish.)

Chastity@ASUS
02-10-2011, 07:44 PM
I gather you never updated the vBIOS to the working beta?

Jabbapop
02-10-2011, 09:59 PM
Thanks, I'll try that, once I get ahold of a USB flash drive, which unfortunately I don't have amongst my possessions. Ai ai ai. In the meantime, I've tried playing stalker again and this time I got a blue screen of death saying something to the effect of lost clock intervals, then the computer restarted.

Jabbapop
02-11-2011, 04:31 AM
Okay, I've done the bios update and the artifacts and lockups seem to have subsided, but I still get the hitching. What it seems to be is when a game loads a new resource it causes a slight delay. For example, even in old games, such as half life 2 death match, when someone uses a weapon resource for the first time, there will be a hitch, but any subsequent use will be fine. Is there any way to diagnose this? Some kind of drive error? I also experience a subtle clicking noise every fifteen/thirty seconds or so, which is seemingly related to drive usage.

Chastity@ASUS
02-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Seems your hdd's are going into nap mode while you are gaming. You can go into P4G Hybrid and edit your power profile regarding Turn-Off HDDs. For High Performance profile, I would set that to Never, and use that when gaming.