PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth problem on Asus G73JH

anthem
02-11-2011, 07:26 AM
Hi guys,

I have an Asus G73JH A2, mine comes with bluetooth. First time I bought this laptop, the bluetooth feature worked well, now I have no idea why the bluetooth icon won't show up in the notification tray.
I tried to install the bluetooth driver and it ended like this :
http://img12.imageshack.us/i/capturewk.png/

I even formatted/restored my laptop to factory condition hoping that I can use the bluetooth. Unfortunately the bluetooth icon still won't appear after I formatted my laptop. I wonder there is a hardware defect?

Please help me to solve this problem, I won't use USB bluetooth dongle cause this laptop is built in bluetooth

Thanks

Chastity@ASUS
02-11-2011, 01:23 PM
There's a blue icon in the notification area that controls the Wifi and Bluetooth. Click on it and see if it's disabled. If that doesn't work, boot into the BIOS and check there, it should be listed as a USB device.

anthem
02-11-2011, 02:07 PM
I just checked the blue icon, it is enabled

Can you tell me step by step to check it from bios?
Sorry to ask you because I rarely go into the bios

anthem
02-11-2011, 05:36 PM
I am not sure whether I made some changes in the bluetooth setting in the past or not.
Do the bios setting will remain the same even after we format the laptop? Or do they set to the default after we format ?

Chastity@ASUS
02-11-2011, 09:35 PM
BIOS setting won't change from a reformatting. However, if you want, you can go into the BIOS and "Restore Defaults", which will reset everything to a standard configuration.

anthem
02-11-2011, 09:52 PM
I see.
How about the bios version? Is it affected of I reset it?

anthem
02-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Hi
I did reset it already, but the bluetooth icon still won't show up :(

Chastity@ASUS
02-11-2011, 10:57 PM
Have you tried Fn+F2?

Did you check Device Manager?

MarkS
02-11-2011, 10:58 PM
I just checked the blue icon, it is enabled

Can you tell me step by step to check it from bios?
Sorry to ask you because I rarely go into the bios

This may be silly but I have to make sure everyone's referring to the same blue icon...

There's a blue icon in the taskbar notification for "Wireless Console 3" (if you have it installed)....hover cursor over it to find it. Double click it and you should see two icons pop up - one for wireless network adapter and one for bluetooth. Click on the bluetooth icon to toggle it on/off.

In my default configuration (I never use bluetooth so I haven't changed anything), only when bluetooth is ON do I see the actual bluetooth blue icon which is different than the wireless console 3 icon.

anthem
02-12-2011, 12:51 AM
yes it is the blue icon called wireless console 3,
mine, when i double click on it, there is only 1 icon pop up which is WLAN, I can not find the bluetooth icon there

MarkS
02-12-2011, 01:28 AM
yes it is the blue icon called wireless console 3,
mine, when i double click on it, there is only 1 icon pop up which is WLAN, I can not find the bluetooth icon there

if you look in Control Panel\Programs and Features do you see the "WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software" by Broadcom Corporation installed?

anthem
02-12-2011, 03:41 AM
Yes, it installed
Mine is installed on 4/30/2010, do you think that is the old version so that it won't appear??

MarkS
02-12-2011, 04:06 AM
Yes, it installed
Mine is installed on 4/30/2010, do you think that is the old version so that it won't appear??

The install date is just when installed on Windows so has nothing to do with version. So if you attempted to install that package later then it didn't work.

What were you trying to install when you got that "no Bluetooth device detected" message?

I would uninstall all the bluetooth stuff. On mine I see 4 Broadcomm installations. Uninstall all of those and reboot. As far as I know (and remember), Windows will provide a suitable updated driver if it detects the device. If not, try installing the driver again - from the original Asus driver/utility disk if possible.

anthem
02-12-2011, 05:28 AM
This is the message:
Please make sure that your Bluetooth device is plugged in properly in order to continue installation.

I wonder why we need to plug in bluetooth device? Isn't that built in bluetooth, right?

anthem
02-12-2011, 07:33 AM
I uninstalled the bluetooth driver and installed the one from asus website
ANd I still can not install the driver it says the same error message :(

Chastity@ASUS
02-12-2011, 09:56 AM
Can you please check Device Manager and make sure it wasn't disabled in Windows. :)

anthem
02-12-2011, 05:12 PM
I think I never disable it
Here is the screenshot:
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/7115/capturectm.png (http://img824.imageshack.us/i/capturectm.png/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)
When I right click, there was not option to enable(there was option to disable), which means they were enable already

MarkS
02-12-2011, 05:33 PM
I think I never disable it
Here is the screenshot:
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/7115/capturectm.png (http://img824.imageshack.us/i/capturectm.png/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)
When I right click, there was not option to enable(there was option to disable), which means they were enable already

No bluetooth device found there obviously, although it only shows up there when it's turned on with the wireless console. No unknown devices listed anywhere else there?

I don't see any BIOS option for turning it on and off so if you really have the device I don't know if it's working, but then I have no idea if you have the correct software installed either...

anthem
02-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Hmm
Can you upload the screenshot of your device manager? I want to see..

How to see the unknown device listed on device manager?

This is strange, before I have the bluetooth now even after I formatted the laptop,the bluetooth still won't show up :(

I might probably send this laptop to Asus to have them repair and replace the thermal paste.

By the way has anyone send their laptop to Asus to have the thermal paste replaced?

Chastity@ASUS
02-14-2011, 05:19 AM
For faster service, I would have a repaste job done at a local ASP.

anthem
02-16-2011, 05:35 AM
You mean local service center? Actually I have 2 laptops, so if I send my Asus to Asus center to get it repaired why don't have the thermal paste replaced at the same time

But I am still confused about the bluetooth problem

daveconway18
08-13-2011, 08:49 PM
I am having the EXACT same problem exactly as anthem has described it. Had bluetooth, sent my laptop in for repair to hard drive, came back with no bluetooth.
I don't see anthing related to bluetooth in the device manager, nothing to enable or disable in the bios. This is crazy, as I used it to trasfer some files to my phone when i first go the laptop. Now it's gone. ARRRRGh! Please let's stick with this issue if anyone knows where I could look (before we wander off to thermal paste). Thanks in advance!

****UPDATE**** Called ASUS, they believe the technician did not plug the bluetooth device back in after reassembly. Apparently it's not on the motherboard itself, and I had sent it in for a replacement mother board. So my question to Anthem is did you have any work done to the unit? I got an RMA number to send it back in, and I will update after I get an answer.

Nessly
08-31-2011, 03:18 AM
I have the exact same problem with my bluetooth in my G73.

I had my G73h serviced by Best Buy's Geek Squad due to a broken monitor (due to my clumsiness) about 2 months ago. After reading your comments about the situation, I've just come to realize that my bluetooth no longer worked after I received the repair.

I did as suggested and uninstalled any Bluetooth software. I then reinstalled the Bluetooth software (using the updated driver from ASUS Support site) and I get the same message previously mentioned. "No device found...<yadda yadda>."

What's with the service repair centers! Did the G73 repair manual not have anything written about the bluetooth device?

Anyway, I can't be bothered to send it for repairs AGAIN. I have already purchased a micro-bluetooth dongle I use on my desktop. I suppose, I'll settle with using it on my laptop as well. I'm dissapointed in losing bluetooth functionality over an improper repair, but the cost of the device is so small, I'd rather not send it in again.

anthem
09-04-2011, 03:27 AM
Heyy, I am back.
Yeah about 3 months ago I sent my Asus G73 to Asus service center and they replaced the bluetoth module with the new one. And it worked!!
Once I got back my laptop, I tried to send files from my laptop to my phone via bluetooth, it was perfect. But I forgot to check whether it works if I send files from my phone to my laptop.

Recently, I transferred some photos from my phone to my laptop using bluetooth. It was successful, but I COULD NOT LOCATE the photos that I just transferred.

Right now, I am still downloading the bluetooth driver, I ll update it soon

anthem
09-04-2011, 03:48 AM
I did reinstall the bluetooth driver and it is solved now.

O yeah, I almost forget to mention . I am not able to use my laptop speaker as a speaker/microphone for my phone..
Is that because I have 2 drivers?

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/9466/capturewpk.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/855/capturewpk.jpg/)

Somehow this G73 drives me crazy for bluetooth issues