PDA

View Full Version : Detects Non-Generic PnP Monitor

TheOriginalTO
02-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Every now and then my laptop / CCC detects another monitor. Nothing is plugged into my laptop or ever was. When I hover over the 2nd monitor shown in CCC it says it is a duplicate of the first one. In device manager it names the 2nd monitor a Generic Non-pnp monitor. Disabling the monitor in CCC temporarily lets me have my full resolution, but after a few sleeps / start ups i have to go re-detect it and disable it yet again. Anyone know a permanent fix for this?

Chastity@ASUS
02-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Try enabling using EICD (or whatever it's called) in the panel settings. You can also disable re-detection of panels in CCC as well.

TheOriginalTO
02-12-2011, 09:37 PM
EDID? and my setting is set to only detect when i hit the button.

TheOriginalTO
02-17-2011, 12:37 AM
Anyone else have any ideas to help me out?? Enabling EDID made everything pink, so i am not doing that anymore. I try un-installing it in device manager / disabling it in CCC / everything else you can think of... I have re-installed my windows 7 before and the issue still stands... wtf? lol

Chastity@ASUS
02-17-2011, 08:15 PM
What model and panel do you have?

TheOriginalTO
02-18-2011, 12:22 AM
This should be the info you need.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2m6lcv7.png

I noticed that when the Generic Non-PnP monitor (GNP) shows up, when i hit windows key + p it shows that my laptop is in duplicate mode for some reason instead of just notebook / laptop. i think my laptop thinks it has a projector??

Chastity@ASUS
02-18-2011, 01:12 PM
I can tell from the GPU clocks that you're on the recent vBIOS, tho not which version. (GPU-Z screenshot would fix that) As for the panel, Open up Device Manager, open up the Monitor, and on the Detail tab, scroll down one til it shows you the HW ID for the Monitor.

TheOriginalTO
02-18-2011, 05:50 PM
I am on Gary's version of the vbios, like the very first one that came out. My montior is this MONITOR\LGD01DD.

Chastity@ASUS
02-18-2011, 07:54 PM
Only thing that comes to mind thus far is either:

1) Marginal connection with the LCD cable. (open up and reseat it, may as well do a repaste if you go that far)

2) Panel has a problem and needs replacement

3) Vid card has an issue and needs replacement

4) Bad LCD cable

I would try #1, and if no success, then RMA, cuz I never heard of an issue like this before, and it sounds like hardware.

TheOriginalTO
02-18-2011, 08:26 PM
Alright... Pretty bummed about it, but if you haven't really heard anything about it before then i will see.

TheOriginalTO
03-03-2011, 12:28 AM
I have un-installed CCC because the lovely very intelligent Geek Squad workers were able to tell me that i need to restore my system. After the restore I installed the 10.11 drivers with CCC included and the problem still persisted.. Now I have un-installed CCC and I am going to see if I am still detecting a 2nd monitor. Why would CCC cause a problem like this anyway and can i get good performance without it?

TheOriginalTO
03-03-2011, 10:45 PM
Turns out it wasn't ATI CCC causing the problem. Took my laptop into BestBuy where the GeekSquad member told me to restore my laptop to factory. After successfully doing so my problem still persists. On wake up after sleeping my laptop will detect a non-existent 2nd monitor named Generic non-pnp monitor. Can anyone please help me out? Thanks.

Chastity@ASUS
03-04-2011, 01:27 AM
Are there two monitors in Device Manager?

TheOriginalTO
03-04-2011, 01:35 AM
Yes, the generic pnp monitor and the fake generic non-pnp monitor.

TheOriginalTO
03-08-2011, 01:28 AM
Bumping for more info.

Chastity@ASUS
03-08-2011, 01:36 AM
Ok, that's weird. Either the vid card is being bad and needs replacement, or you have a marginally loose cable connection for the lcd panel, or the panel's controller is being naughty. Either way, I think an RMA is in order. What's happening is that you are getting bad HW ID info from the panel, and PnP is getting confused.

TheOriginalTO
03-08-2011, 04:53 AM
I figured it would be in order, but the Geek Squad people insisted that it was a program I was using since it only occurs when my comp. wakes up, not starts up. I think you are 100% correct though, so I will go back to BestBuy for RMA as soon as I can.

TheOriginalTO
06-15-2011, 10:38 PM
RMA'd my laptop, they could not get the problem to re-occur. Still happens for me, no idea what is doing it, but I guess it is not the largest problem in the world..

TheOriginalTO
02-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Wanted to bump this thread again stating that I will RMA my laptop again 1. for this problem and I will make it so it can not be over looked, and 2. because I need a repaste from the stock pos thermal paste. I am too afraid to go into the laptop on my own since I am not very experienced. I do hope this issue gets resolved :/