PDA

View Full Version : on the G75 versions: is there a difference in system noise?

G_G
05-27-2012, 10:38 AM
Hello everybody!

I heard that all versions of the G75 stay super-cool in all situations, and all stay quite silent under gaming-load,
honest congratulations to ASUS here!

I was wondering if the available versions differ in idle system-noise, and as I think usually SSD drives lead to less system noise than conventional hard disks, and hard disks are easy to change... so let's ignore that and consider the graphics instead.

Now my question, if anyone knows: Does e.g. going for one of the two graphics-options change the noise level of the system in idle?

I am not interested in theoretical viewpoints here, and the question could be reformulated to: is there a different power management / gpu-fan-management for those versions realized, or are they the same (idle Fan-Speed, ...)?

Thanks in advance and have a nice day,
GMS

Zygomorphic
05-27-2012, 11:29 AM
If there is one, it will be the Kepler GPU. The ROG notebooks all have good cooling solutions, so neither will be noisy. The Kepler GPUs have better power-saving mechanisms, so their idle temps are lower, and the fans will be lower/off more frequently. Why worry about the idle noise, a ceiling fan makes as much noise as one of these systems :).

G_G
05-27-2012, 05:06 PM
Hello,

thanks for the reply. Sounds nice, i will try to test one of these a bit next week at a store, if possible.

I'll need a new system in about 3 weeks, so let's see how convincing the hands-on will be :cool:

Btw: I dont have a ceiling fan here, and spend a lot of time reading near my working place... thats why i care a bit about it ;)

GMS

Wolffie80
05-27-2012, 05:40 PM
If you put your ear to the laptop. You can hardley hear it. I have switched main disc with a ssd (agility3) runs like a ninja! smooth, fast and soundless. Even in game like BF3 i struggle to hear any sound at all. It is above anything i hoped for. I am super pleased with this computer:)

G_G
05-27-2012, 09:01 PM
If you put your ear to the laptop. You can hardley hear it. I have switched main disc with a ssd (agility3) runs like a ninja! smooth, fast and soundless. Even in game like BF3 i struggle to hear any sound at all. It is above anything i hoped for. I am super pleased with this computer:)

I'm happy to hear that!

Is yours the 660M or 670M version?

Wolffie80
06-11-2012, 08:33 AM
I have the the G75vw with gtx670m

_
06-11-2012, 10:22 AM
The 670M is 40nm, while the 660M is 28nm, however the 660M is 384 shader - so has more transistors than the 670Ms 336 (which has a bigger memory bandwidth to compensate). They are both set to fit the same TDP, so thus should need very similar cooling.

Zygomorphic
06-11-2012, 04:38 PM
The 670M is 40nm, while the 660M is 28nm, however the 660M is 384 shader - so has more transistors than the 670Ms 336 (which has a bigger memory bandwidth to compensate). They are both set to fit the same TDP, so thus should need very similar cooling.

Very good point, @Marshall, the only difference is that while both have the same thermal envelope, one has a thinner empty envelope :). That is, the newer Kepler cards use less power at idle and so make less noise when sitting at the desktop doing productive work :cool:. My best advice would be that it really doesn't matter. The key to a quiet system is to keep the fans clean, and don't bother with a chillpad, since the ROG notebook's cooling solutions are so good that chillpads don't make a difference. Also, oil your chair so that it doesn't squeak. The ASUS Power4Gear utility has several nice power profiles, I tend to run in "Quiet Office" mode which cuts the idle noise down tremendously. When gaming, I assume you have the sound turned up ;). so the noise is still minimal. In any case, either version of the G75 will be quieter than the competition's "gaming" notebooks. Some have similar temps but more noise, others have similar noise but much higher temps. Only real ROG notebooks game in silence. :) ROG'n for the win!

G_G
06-12-2012, 07:24 AM
Your replies are very welcome, thanks.

My order for the G75 is already out, i picked 670M graphics (non-3D) and the SSD storage. :cool:

2 more days and it should arrive ;)

Have a nice day everybody,
GMS