PDA

View Full Version : G75 3d

Hoder
05-28-2012, 03:04 PM
Just got a new G75 3D (WOOT!) and have a couple questions and observations.

1. The backlit keyboard sucks - it's more like a sidelit keyboard and cannot be used with the Nvidia 3D glasses unless you really like a strobe light as you're watching. This seems like a major design oversight.

2. As already mentioned in another thread the 'subwoofer' is currently just a 3rd really loud speaker and throws the stereo field far left. I hope they come up with a way to filter out the highs from that speaker so it's not so directional.

3. I can't find any documentation for the utilities that came pre-installed. The documentation here shows a couple out of many that were installed (and a couple that weren't): http://support.asus.com/Documents/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=G75VW&s=388&hashedid=gkyI9iViQxXxueTd&os=&no=955 Does anyone know a secret spot where there might be some documentation?

4. The gaming mouse that came with the computer also has no documentation anywhere and no setup utility was installed. I found a driver on the utility disc but it's not even included in the utility disc setup options. I decided to go to the download area and install it from there so now I have a program folder called "Gaming Mouse" with a program called "Gaming Software" but clicking on it does nothing. How do I configure this mouse?

I bought this as a business computer first and an entertainment device second and so far I'm very impressed with the quality. Keyboard feel is excellent as is the monitor and the overall build quality. I just hope someone can point me in the right direction with the utilities and the mouse. I already contacted the reseller (powernotebooks) to see if they could paint the sides of the keys to block the light.

EDIT: I figured out it's a GX900 mouse and was able to get the correct software from the page for that mouse.

_
05-29-2012, 05:57 AM
Welcome to ROG!

Just got a new G75 3D (WOOT!) and have a couple questions and observations.

1. The backlit keyboard sucks - it's more like a sidelit keyboard and cannot be used with the Nvidia 3D glasses unless you really like a strobe light as you're watching. This seems like a major design oversight.

The strobing effect is how active shutter glasses work though. The keyboard light can be turned up an down using the FN+F keys.

2. As already mentioned in another thread the 'subwoofer' is currently just a 3rd really loud speaker and throws the stereo field far left. I hope they come up with a way to filter out the highs from that speaker so it's not so directional.

Try updating to the latest audio drivers on the product page.

3. I can't find any documentation for the utilities that came pre-installed. The documentation here shows a couple out of many that were installed (and a couple that weren't): http://support.asus.com/Documents/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=G75VW&s=388&hashedid=gkyI9iViQxXxueTd&os=&no=955 Does anyone know a secret spot where there might be some documentation?

What do you want to know about?

4. The gaming mouse that came with the computer also has no documentation anywhere and no setup utility was installed. I found a driver on the utility disc but it's not even included in the utility disc setup options. I decided to go to the download area and install it from there so now I have a program folder called "Gaming Mouse" with a program called "Gaming Software" but clicking on it does nothing. How do I configure this mouse?

I didn't get this mouse - I will check. This is an oversight on our part sorry.

Hoder
06-01-2012, 05:22 AM
Thank you Richard, see below:

Welcome to ROG!

The strobing effect is how active shutter glasses work though. The keyboard light can be turned up an down using the FN+F keys.
Yes but only the keyboard strobes. Nothing else including the power button backlight have this problem. I know I can turn it off but part of the allure of this computer was being able to use the backlit keyboard with 3D in bed (in the dark). This should have been considered when creating a 3D laptop.

Try updating to the latest audio drivers on the product page.
It seems that all the latest software did was remove the option for surround sound. How do I get that back? (238MB for a sound driver?)

What do you want to know about?
I want to know what every item in the Asus program folder does. This is my first laptop and I've always built my own pc's so they've been clean from the start. All motherboards come with a bag of utilities but they've always been documented so at least I could decide whether they were worth keeping or not. I find it rather odd that all this stuff comes preinstalled with no documentation to be found anywhere.

I didn't get this mouse - I will check. This is an oversight on our part sorry.
Mouse is all good now that I found the software for it.

_
06-01-2012, 09:19 AM
The sound driver is not our design sorry. It contains the VIA Audio Deck software too. Please remove the previous sound deck entirely before updating to the new ones - this should work better.

I've asked about documentation.

john_from_ohio
06-01-2012, 10:50 AM
The sound driver is not our design sorry. It contains the VIA Audio Deck software too. Please remove the previous sound deck entirely before updating to the new ones - this should work better.

What do you do "exactly" to "remove the previous sound deck entirely"???

Hoder
06-02-2012, 04:31 AM

Thank you. Like John I don't see any way to remove the VDeck application.

Hoder
07-04-2012, 06:07 AM
So is there any chance a driver update could make the keyboard stop strobing when using 3D? It doesn't happen if the keyboard brightness is set at max (I can live with that) but it gets noticeable if you dim the keys once and it's terrible on the dimmest setting.
I'm not too worried about the sub-woofer since I got the Logitech g930 (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/webcam-communications/internet-headsets-phones/wireless-gaming-headset-g930) headphones the sound is awesome.

RecceDG
07-04-2012, 03:57 PM
The "strobing" is probably how the dimming works.

If the keyboard lights are pulsewidth modulated, "dim" is a change in the ratio between the amount of time they are "on" and the amount of time they are "off". Your eyes can't tell, and see "more on than off" as "brighter" and "more off then on" as "dimmer".

So there will be no bugfix for that. All on or all off for no strobe.

DG