PDA

View Full Version : My G73 keeps crashing. Any ideas?

Wesker216
05-29-2012, 12:54 AM
I'm not really computer savvy so I don't know what is going on. My G73 will play games for about twenty minutes then just turn off. When I try to turn it back on it will just flash the power light on and off for 3 seconds then shut back down. It will keep doing that for about 5 minutes before it finally turns back on. It doesn't feel like it is hotter than normal so I don't think it is overheating. And it only does it when trying to play games. I can use the internet and watch movies for hours and hours on end. Any idea what might be going wrong or what I can do to fix this?

Thanks - Wesker

dstrakele
05-29-2012, 01:23 AM
From your description, it sounds like an overheat issue. I recommend installing HWINFO64 or SpeedFan to monitor temperatures in Celsius at idle (no other programs running) and the maximum temperature when you play a game. Configure the program to log temperatures.

How long have you owned your G73?

Blowing out the air intakes and fan exhausts with compressed gas may help to lower temperatures a little. If your laptop is a year or more old, a repaste could be needed.

Alternatively, your power adapter may be going bad and unable to supply enough power for gaming.

Wesker216
06-02-2012, 03:00 AM
I got the speedfan program the other day and tested the temps. The idle temperature for the Core is 40C and the gaming temperature got up to 60C. The idle temperature for the GPU is 60C with a gaming temp of 83C.

I have had my g73 since November of 2010. Didn't use it for 6 months in 2011 because of my job in the military. I will look into getting a repaste done soon. Hope that will work.

Is there any way to test the efficiency of the power supply?

Thanks - Wesker

Wesker216
06-02-2012, 03:25 AM
I apologize. I mistakenly typed the wrong temps for the GPU. The idle temp for it is 80C and the gaming temp is 102C. I am not sure but I feel like that is a bit too hot.

dstrakele
06-02-2012, 06:59 AM
You're correct, @Wesker... That is too hot. It definitely looks like a repaste is on your "To Do" list. See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?946-G73JH-GPU-Overheating-Observations-and-Suggestions-(Read-This-First) for more info on G73 temperatures and how a repaste can help.

Wesker216
06-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the help and I will get on that as soon as I can.