PDA

View Full Version : Going to buy the G55VW but i have some questions

greatone
05-30-2012, 06:26 AM
So i do have a desktop gaming pc, its 2 1/2 yrs old but still able to run most games on high with no problems but my desktop is HUGE and it does put out a lot of heat which really warms my bedroom in the summer especially.

I was looking at the G75 but i want something little smaller and more portable so i am leaning towards the G55VW-RS71.

1. So my question is does the G55VW put out a lot of heat? Will it make a decent size bedroom hot?

2. I did have a gateway gaming laptop a few years ago, one annoying thing was it made a lot of noise for gaming, does the G55 make a lot of noise? Something noticeable?

3. If i swap out the HDD and add a SSD would that improve battery life?

4. On my older laptop, i left it plugged in to the wall most of the time with the battery still connected this ended up ruining my battery, would this be a problem?

Liquidus
05-30-2012, 08:06 AM
So i do have a desktop gaming pc, its 2 1/2 yrs old but still able to run most games on high with no problems but my desktop is HUGE and it does put out a lot of heat which really warms my bedroom in the summer especially.

I was looking at the G75 but i want something little smaller and more portable so i am leaning towards the G55VW-RS71.

1. So my question is does the G55VW put out a lot of heat? Will it make a decent size bedroom hot?

2. I did have a gateway gaming laptop a few years ago, one annoying thing was it made a lot of noise for gaming, does the G55 make a lot of noise? Something noticeable?

3. If i swap out the HDD and add a SSD would that improve battery life?

4. On my older laptop, i left it plugged in to the wall most of the time with the battery still connected this ended up ruining my battery, would this be a problem?

1) Not really. Mine doesn't produce any noticeable heat playing LoL or SC2... then again, it is pretty chilly here, but I'm pretty sure the G55 is power and temp efficient compared to it's predecessors.

2) Nope, this laptop is pretty damn silent. Well, so was my G73, but it should be as silent if not more.

3) Theoretically it should, since a HDD requires more power because of all its moving parts, while SSD is.. just solid.. but I'm not sure if it will be significant. There would be a nice speed boost and a tremendous increase in response times, though.

4) There are many superstitions and myths surrounding what to do or not to do regarding a laptop's battery and charger. I honestly have no idea. They say laptop these days automatically stop charging once the battery reaches 95%+ full mark, and it shouldn't damage the battery, but all my laptops have had their batteries be damaged even when staying plugged in all the time.
I'd like to know more about this issue as well.