PDA

View Full Version : I'm new and I need support please!

meowish
02-16-2011, 12:06 AM
I just got my G73SW today, after I gave up on my Alienware laptop. Dell support/quality sucks and they don't really care. So far I'm really happy with going with the better choice, but I am having a few minor issues and some questions.
first, list of problems:

1- Screen Flickering: Happens after updating graphics driver, I see that other people from various sites are having this issue.
2- (Solved) keyboard lights don't light up, but the blue buttons do(power/turbo/lights off), its probably a software issue cause the lights actually light up when I restart and as soon as I get into windows they go off.

Questions:
1- (Answered) Is it possible to have a fresh windows 7 install? and if it is, is it recommended? why and why not ?
2- I am really new to using an ASUS laptop, is there any optimization method or driver some one recommends? I searched the net but I hardly found anything.

Thanks for reading!

xeromist
02-16-2011, 12:16 AM
Yes, it is possible to do a fresh install. You should not need to but a clean install always feels good.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/428068-legal-windows-7-download-links-just-like-vista-before.html#post5437866

Recovery is done from a hidden partition. If you make an additional recovery disk I would do it with the drivers updated and basic software installed so that you don't have to do it again.

What are you thinking that you need to optimize? Chastity has a driver guide sticky that you can check out.
http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1150-G73-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference

meowish
02-16-2011, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the reply! But about the optimization thread its for G73JH and G73JW right? my lappy is a G73SW, do they use similar drivers? Cause from what I read, that the new nvidia drivers HATE SW :(
And I and my friends thank you from deep down our hearts for the clean install link, we really appreciate it!

Keith Smith
02-16-2011, 04:48 AM
Thanks for the reply! But about the optimization thread its for G73JH and G73JW right? my lappy is a G73SW, do they use similar drivers? Cause from what I read, that the new nvidia drivers HATE SW :(
And I and my friends thank you from deep down our hearts for the clean install link, we really appreciate it!

just curious did u try the Fn key + F4 to brighten the keyboard? Fn + F3 will dim it.

meowish
02-16-2011, 11:36 AM
@Keith Smith

Now I feel so stupid.. it worked :P

xeromist
02-16-2011, 05:15 PM

A lot of component makers have a unified driver these days. That means same package for all models of the same generation and sometimes multiple generations. Short answer is that yes, most of the drivers will probably work but if you know that there are specific issues then don't do it! If you need a more specific answer than that then you'll probably have to wait for Chastity. I'm not a laptop guy.

btotech.com
02-19-2011, 05:37 PM
you know the g73sw was recalled right?

Daedalus
02-23-2011, 12:47 AM
I think they need to recall all the G73 models and give us a system that works. I have been fighting getting mine fixed and right from June of last year, the warranty is going to run out in a few months and then what will I do. There are many of us out here who do not have working machines that work fully and are still waiting for ASUS to do something to get them fixed. The G73JH that I have has not worked right from the get go.
We were told of another release of Bios but that never happened , I wonder when that is coming or if anyone has had any word on this.

Chastity@ASUS
02-23-2011, 08:00 PM
BIOS 213 and ATK 1.0.0008 are out and on my download page.

Also, if your unit has been RMA'd 4 times, you are entitled to a replacement iirc.