PDA

View Full Version : Why NOT to buy asus ROG laptops

Highafter
05-30-2012, 11:26 AM
My friend and I both have the same G53SW, Both bought in the same month,
My friends power pin of his laptop broke 2 months after purchase and had to wait 2 months for his laptop to get fixed by RMA
A few months later, his power pin BROKE AGAIN and a week after that mine BROKE TOO !!!
Now we sit here both without our laptop and waiting for it to get fixed, AGAIN

If on a laptop the power pin isn't the most IMPORTANT PART then I don't know what ROG was thinking,
u guys can build the best motherboards and graphic cards (which I own both),
but a simple power pin is a bit too much I guess.
After reading alot of posts on the internet i saw how many people were affected
and how many didn't get an RMA for something that is caused by a lack of testing the device properly.
Luckily in Belgium asus was smart to listen to the customer and RMA'd our laptops which I am thankful for

My friend and I will probably NEVER buy any asus laptop again and will also spread the word that asus and laptops
don't really match together

I just wanted to say this because I am deeply dissapointed in asus because it has hurt my way of saying I will mostly buy asus
Now I will think twice and will definitely look towards other brands first before buying any asus hardware.

chrsplmr
05-30-2012, 11:55 AM
No offense friends .. and Welcome.. but

So then 'maybe' you will have a Great Pin ... and the rest ?
G55.c.

Zygomorphic
05-30-2012, 12:09 PM
How far in did you stick the power supply? On the G53SX, about 1/8 inch of the metal barrel sticks out of the notebook. Since it doesn't go in all the way, I don't force it, and the notebook runs and charges normally. I have my G53SX for 9 months and it has not a single issue outside the well-documented USB 3.0 driver issue. From what I hear, that has been fixed on the G55 (IvyBridge has USB embedded in the mobo, as opposed to being a pci-e card). Like all computers, don't force anything, and you shouldn't have any issues. From what I have heard, no one who lets the power connector stick out a bit has had problems with broken pins. As I recall, @illuvatar has a G53SW, but no problems with it.

xeromist
05-30-2012, 03:50 PM
Sorry you are having troubles. :(

It's worth pointing out that newer models aren't having this problem so it seems that they fixed the problem after the 53.

kiba
05-30-2012, 11:03 PM
what's interesting is that on my G73 and G74, there is a strait plug for the AC adapter, and on my G75, there is a right angle plug. I wonder if this had anything to do with that design change. I have never had this particular issue btw.

n3tninja
05-30-2012, 11:44 PM
Yes it seems like a very common issue, so the best thing I do is leave the pin 1/8th inside the dc pin jack (it charges and gets powered normally). My laptop functions normally and plays games well like that. Yes, I did wish Asus could've done a redesign to let the entire jack in the hole but I just got the Asus g53sw and nothing has happened to me yet.

Just don't force the jack all the way in if there's resistance. :)
Do what zygo said :).