PDA

View Full Version : G73JH Graphic Driver Problems. HELP

Slider11
05-31-2012, 08:00 PM
So ive had my G73JH for about a year now. I have to say, I love this computer. That is, when it works properly. Ive been playing lots of FPS's lately, one of which was Battlefield 3. When I first got battlefield 3, i had to update my graphics driver to get the game to even open.. Then, it worked great for quite some time. Just recently, I had to update my vBios and Bios to the latest versions to prevent overheating, which had become a MAJOR problem. After completing those updates.... More problems. Now, I can easily run games from Steam, But Battlefield 3 refuses to open just like before, and now even Minecraft crashes immediatly after opening it. I figured that my graphics driver needed to be updated... now, I am a major newbie so I honestly don't know how to check what version my Driver is, but I THINK it's 8.6?(ATI Mobility radeon HD 5870) Anyways, I have been trying to update it to version 12.4 which is by my understanding, the latest one. I downloaded the driver from the AMD website, and have tried to install it multiple times. Each time, I ran into a BSOD saying it "Failed to recover from timeout" after the screen flickers during installation. Then my driver reverts to "Ati mobility radeon 5800 series" until I update it from the device manager.. Which takes it back to the previous version of 8.6, then everything is back to normal. What am I doing wrong? Is there a different driver needed for battlefield 3, or am I just not installing the driver correctly? Please help me! This could save me $1000 from buying another computer D: Thanks!

dstrakele
05-31-2012, 09:45 PM
In http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-20870HowtoInstallYourATIProduct.aspx, section 1 discusses how to perform a clean install of the AMD drivers if you are experiencing issues during installation. This section references several AMD articles.

From your description, it sounds like you're getting a Timeout Delay Recovery (TDR error) BSOD. This happens when there is a 2 minute delay in the video driver, Windows will attempt to reset it. If the reset fails, Windows throws a BSOD. I suspect something is delaying your current video driver from stopping so it can be uninstalled. It might make it easier for the install process of the new AMD driver if the current driver is ALREADY uninstalled.

I don't have any experience installing AMD drivers, but I always boot into Safe Mode to install my NVIDIA drivers. This disables other running drivers (like Antivirus) that may interfere (like causing a delay that leads to a TDR error) with your video driver installation.