PDA

View Full Version : Can't install newest drivers for Phoebus - 7.0.1.19

dedaciai
06-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to install the newest drivers (these will probably not be good either until Asus fixes the real issues, but what the hay). In any case, I am trying to install the newest drivers and I am getting the error attached. I used perfect unistaller to unistall the drivers on the disc, but I can't get the drivers from this website to install. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Myk SilentShadow
06-01-2012, 04:30 PM
Have you run a reg cleaner to remove the left over bits from the previous install?

dedaciai
06-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Ok, this is great. I am now unable to even install the drivers from the disc. :-( It keeps giving me the same error above and also this message.

" In next step, if you choose not to restart the computer, some functions may cause no effect, so please restart the computer by manual later"

I tried this and nothing happens.

dedaciai
06-01-2012, 04:37 PM
Have you run a reg cleaner to remove the left over bits from the previous install?

No I have not. Is there one you would recommend?

Myk SilentShadow
06-01-2012, 04:39 PM
Give Driver Sweeper a go, it works well for me. And about the install not working for the old drivers, try a safe mode run of Win7 and see if you can install it that way

dedaciai
06-01-2012, 04:54 PM
I used the Eusing Free Registry Cleaner and still no dice. Not sure what is going on. I restarted my comp and tried to install from the disc again and I am still getting the same problem.

I notices OpenAL was left out of the unistall process (it came with the Xonar Phoebus Disc). Do you think that might be messing the install process up?

Myk SilentShadow
06-01-2012, 04:59 PM
i'm not sure on what OpenAL is, but if it was installed the 1st time when you got the card...I would most definitely say yes

dedaciai
06-01-2012, 05:03 PM
I just uninstalled it and rebooted and still can't install the drivers from the disc. The little progress bar makes sure progress then just skips across and give those error messages above. The weird thing is that I still have sound even though I have no drivers installed unless I have the MS UAA drivers installed and didn't know it.

Myk SilentShadow
06-01-2012, 05:09 PM
I just uninstalled it and rebooted and still can't install the drivers from the disc. The little progress bar makes sure progress then just skips across and give those error messages above. The weird thing is that I still have sound even though I have no drivers installed unless I have the MS UAA drivers installed and didn't know it.

Maybe you should go digging through your Device Manager to see what is going on and when you figure it out, try a reboot and get into safe mode and try installing the drivers there. For the life of me, i can't see why the drivers won't install for you....unless all of a sudden, the cd files AND the downloaded update are all somehow corrupted

dedaciai
06-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Maybe you should go digging through your Device Manager to see what is going on and when you figure it out, try a reboot and get into safe mode and try installing the drivers there. For the life of me, i can't see why the drivers won't install for you....unless all of a sudden, the cd files AND the downloaded update are all somehow corrupted

Alright, I try that and report back. Thanks for you help! I sure as heck don't want to bat poop crazy trying to figure this one out.

Myk SilentShadow
06-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Alright, I try that and report back. Thanks for you help! I sure as heck don't want to bat poop crazy trying to figure this one out.

You're most welcome and good luck :)

dedaciai
06-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Well, I am at my wits end.

I have tried the following with no luck. I don't want to reinstall Windows just to get a chance to use crappy drivers (Waiting for Asus to release more stable drivers)

- Uninstalled and cleaned registry of all Phoebus stuff including Open AL

-Tried to install in safe mode

- Tried to "run as admin" during install

- Tried to install from disc and from downloads (old and new drivers).

-Tried each one above several times.

I know it is working because I am getting sound through my headset which is connected to the rog command thingy which connects to the back of my card. So confused and frustrated.

dedaciai
07-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Well, I still can't install the newest drivers with the BF3 fix. Do any of you think that doing a repair install of W7 might fix this problem? I would have to have to do a fresh install of windows.

Myk SilentShadow
07-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Well, I still can't install the newest drivers with the BF3 fix. Do any of you think that doing a repair install of W7 might fix this problem? I would have to have to do a fresh install of windows.

Try a system restore to before you first installed the Phoebus drivers and see if that helps with a reinstall

dedaciai
07-11-2012, 10:06 PM
Thanks SilentShadow! I'll try that first.

dedaciai
07-11-2012, 10:52 PM
This is a stupid question, but I am assuming I would not have a system restore point before the phoebus driver install unless I created one, correct? I installed the phoebus driver over a month ago.

Raja@ASUS
07-12-2012, 05:49 AM
There are auto restore points that might be of use. If you don't have a restore point you can use then you may need to reinstall the OS -who knows what those third party tools removed.

Don't use any third party driver cleaner this time. Go to Control Panel>Programs>Uninstall A Program and do it that way. Uninstalling the Phoebus driver will take out the Dolby utility too I have found. When prompted, reboot the system. Let MS find the audio device and it will auto install the MS driver, after that proceed with the ASUS driver. No need for this third party cleaners and other such tools. That's the way I do it and it works every time.

Also here are the HQ instructions for updating to this driver:

1. Fixed compatibility issue with Battle Field 3 and Punkbuster.
2. Please uninstall older driver COMPLETELY before installing new driver.
3. Please DO NOT switch Xonar Phoebus to other PCI-E slots when Xonar driver of any version is installed. If you want to change slot, please make sure the driver has been uninstalled completely.
4. Current known issue on driver 7.0.1.20: ASIO cannot function under some occasions, and BU and R&D are working on this issue. Thus, BU suggests it’s not necessary to upgrade to the beta driver if users do not use Punkbuster.

dedaciai
07-28-2012, 07:26 PM
I have now been able to get back to fiddling with my rig and it looks like I am going to have to reinstall Windows 7. :(

I was wondering if it would be best for me to pull the Phoebus card and my second gfx card, install W7, and then put them back in? Or, can I just reinstall windows with all of my hardware in my rig?

Thanks again!

Raja@ASUS
07-28-2012, 10:56 PM
Should work either way provided the card is inserted properly and has PCIe power via the connector.

dedaciai
07-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Should work either way provided the card is inserted properly and has PCIe power via the connector.

Excellent. Thanks for the help, Raja.

dedaciai
08-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Reinstalled W7 and on the newest Phoebus drivers. Man, the drivers sound soooo much better than the MS HD drivers - that is all:D

Myk SilentShadow
08-03-2012, 03:40 AM
Reinstalled W7 and on the newest Phoebus drivers. Man, the drivers sound soooo much better than the MS HD drivers - that is all:D

Congrats on getting it to finally work!! :)

Raja@ASUS
08-03-2012, 06:50 AM

Cool, glad it's working :)

dedaciai
08-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Thanks, guys! Sometimes you gotta got the nuclear option, right? I knew something was wrong when I couldn't install the newest drivers for my printer. In any case, I am now enjoying great audio during BF3. music, and video. The funny thing is that I pretty much jumped out of my seat when I entered a TDM in BF3 as I spawned next to a machine gunner and the sound of the bullets was insanely good.It has been so long since I have used the Phoebus drivers I had forgotten how much better they sound then the MS HD drivers. Thanks again updating the drivers!

Jack_Mehouf
12-16-2016, 06:18 AM
Thanks, guys! Sometimes you gotta got the nuclear option, right? I knew something was wrong when I couldn't install the newest drivers for my printer. In any case, I am now enjoying great audio during BF3. music, and video. The funny thing is that I pretty much jumped out of my seat when I entered a TDM in BF3 as I spawned next to a machine gunner and the sound of the bullets was insanely good.It has been so long since I have used the Phoebus drivers I had forgotten how much better they sound then the MS HD drivers. Thanks again updating the drivers!
yes, after going through some of this compatibility nonsense as well just to get the card working & it has never been 100% on Win 7-8-10 for me. I almost get it working without audio issues and all of a sudden it will start to stutter or pop or drop out.

But the wording on "choose not to restart" leaves a lot to be desired,, It seems dumb to me that someone would invent something that doesn't work, So either
A. they can't write code
B. the card is a lemon.
C. Both the Above.

So it makes me wonder sometimes if maybe they missed out the words:"if you " choose not to restart. They might be actually saying "if you don't restart" you will get errors..
Seems to me by not restarting you would cause some errors, somee dll files demand it. Anyway, why even have that option listed, the instructions have never changed and the restart button has been there from day one.
Anyway I'm due for a new system, so, once bitten twice shy as they say. This card was outdated at least 2 years ago so more than likely nothing more will come of it. What You Got is All You Get
It should have been a great card if Asus had put some decent money into its upkeep. It may have been right up there at the top but sadly I think it will go in the Lemon list under: Windows Vista & BetaMax

FonzieBulldog
12-16-2016, 08:43 AM
Used Vista three years every day without reinstalling and that system i really liked.