PDA

View Full Version : Blu-Ray Drive Model Number/Where to buy

crix0r
06-01-2012, 06:39 PM
Hello Again All -

Having purchased a version of the G75VW (the BBK5 version) that did not ship with the Blu-Ray drive, I was wondering if it was possible to buy it from ASUS, along with any software/keys/etc that might be required.

Does anyone know if this is possible and if so, where I might go about getting it? :)

Thanks,
Jason

m3rcer
06-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Hello Again All -

Having purchased a version of the G75VW (the BBK5 version) that did not ship with the Blu-Ray drive, I was wondering if it was possible to buy it from ASUS, along with any software/keys/etc that might be required.

Does anyone know if this is possible and if so, where I might go about getting it? :)

Thanks,
Jason

I'm curious about this too. I did look up the Asus eStore (http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=3181) and there is an assortment of drives that don't come with a bezel. I wonder which one is compatible, and if the dvd-rom bezel will slip over it - Also, would installing the drive void the warranty?

Holy
06-01-2012, 07:11 PM
it would not void the warrenty because the screw you have to remove to open the drive is in the user accessible area.

jdog1473
06-01-2012, 10:21 PM
I bought a uj-240 and it works great!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Panasonic-UJ-240-6x-Blu-Ray-Drive-for-Notebook-Laptop-UJ240-/250996702810?pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item3a7091be5a

super easy install.

Daylife
06-02-2012, 12:51 AM
it would not void the warrenty because the screw you have to remove to open the drive is in the user accessible area.

Hey Holy where can i buy a custom Keyboard Backlight?

m3rcer
06-02-2012, 03:07 AM
I bought a uj-240 and it works great!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Panasonic-UJ-240-6x-Blu-Ray-Drive-for-Notebook-Laptop-UJ240-/250996702810?pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item3a7091be5a

super easy install.

Nice! What about the bezel. was it easy to replace? -- If you even bothered with it.

jdog1473
06-02-2012, 04:32 AM
the bezel was super easy.
dont be afraid to tug on it. there are two tabs on either side that snap it.

looks exactly as it did...i just wish it said Blu Ray on the bezel now :(

m3rcer
06-02-2012, 05:15 AM
the bezel was super easy.
dont be afraid to tug on it. there are two tabs on either side that snap it.

looks exactly as it did...i just wish it said Blu Ray on the bezel now :(

Hmm.... okay I'm buying that. Thanks for the info! A blu ray logo would look nice there, but I don't think I mind the sleeper look either.

Holy
06-02-2012, 06:57 AM
Hey Holy where can i buy a custom Keyboard Backlight?

its only plasticfilm

m3rcer
06-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Got the UJ-240 as suggested. Just installed it. Probably took no more than 5 minutes. One screw under the main panel, pull it out. unscrew the adapter on the old dvd-rom and transfer to the new drive, press down the tiny tabs on either side of the bezel and transfer over, then shove it back in and screw it down. Very simple!

Downloaded Corel WinDVD Pro 11 trial and threw in a disc from Rome Season 1 and works like a charm. Looks great! Still trying to figure out what blu-ray software to actually purchase. Other then that, I'm very satisfied. Only thing left to do on this BestBuy G75 that I can immediately think of is replacing the monitor to one of the 3D LED capable ones, but I can live without that.

john_from_ohio
06-06-2012, 01:58 AM
Got the UJ-240 as suggested. Just installed it. Probably took no more than 5 minutes. One screw under the main panel, pull it out. unscrew the adapter on the old dvd-rom and transfer to the new drive, press down the tiny tabs on either side of the bezel and transfer over, then shove it back in and screw it down. Very simple!

Thanks guys ... I am probably going to do this upgrade ... and then never use a blue ray disk in there ... not because I need it ... but it seems like one has to do it!

Ok maybe every once in a while I will actually use it!!! But I could if I wanted to!!!

m3rcer
06-06-2012, 04:06 AM
Thanks guys ... I am probably going to do this upgrade ... and then never use a blue ray disk in there ... not because I need it ... but it seems like one has to do it!

Ok maybe every once in a while I will actually use it!!! But I could if I wanted to!!!

I'm actually packing up to move. Puters, TV, gadgets all going to boxes and storage for awhile. All I'll have is the G75, and my Android phone - So I'd say that's a good excuse for dropping in a bluray drive. ;)

jdog1473
06-06-2012, 04:30 AM
awesome - congrats

I've barely used my blu-ray...but for $75 you just can't, not do it.

I think I'll upgrade the screen in a year when the warranty is up...just because I can and it shouldn't cost more than $150 by then

john_from_ohio
06-24-2012, 02:56 PM

Downloaded Corel WinDVD Pro 11 trial and threw in a disc from Rome Season 1 and works like a charm. Looks great!.

I just did the same upgrade ... Panasonic UJ 240 goes in easily ... about 5 minutes.

You need to unscrew from the existing DVD burner the piece on the end that the one screw inside our G75VW uses to hold it in place and put it onto the panasonic.

My panasonic did come with a bezel ( from amazon ) I guess some do and some don't ???

Like other people still figuring out what to buy for blue ray player software ... installed trial of Corel WinDVD 11 and it is working peachy ... but not purchased yet.

Wondering what people have from asus if they purchased their machine with a blue ray player already installed?

Shinrai
06-24-2012, 07:36 PM
Any Blu-Ray will do. I personally bought a Blu-Ray Writer (Sony Optiarc BD-5750H). The only bad part about a Blu-Ray is the Bezel doesn't have a Blu-Ray Icon on it and you have to use that bezel as it's custom to the laptop. I wish they would sell the various Bezels they have on the various models of laptops.

john_from_ohio
06-24-2012, 10:34 PM
The only bad part about a Blu-Ray is the Bezel doesn't have a Blu-Ray Icon on it and you have to use that bezel as it's custom to the laptop.

Depends ... like I said some of the panasonics do come with bezels ... mine looks fine with the panasonic bezel on it ( that does have the blue ray icon on it ).

nrssab
11-23-2016, 05:20 PM
Sorry to bring this ancient thread up again, but I'm looking for an alternative Bluray-Drive upgrade. The Pana. UJ240 is a little outdated and has gone up in price, at least here in Europe. I wanted to ask if I could install the new model UJ272 super slim into my ASUS G75VW without any complications?

Looking forward to any reply and thanks a lot!

JustinThyme
11-24-2016, 12:45 PM
I have some distrubing news for you. THEY ARE ALL PANASONIC!! If its a slim form factor bluray its a Panasonic UJ240 no matter whats on the outside or what the HW info says.