PDA

View Full Version : G75 Warranty Void

Guido7142
06-01-2012, 07:19 PM
Hi all, I just wondered what will void your warranty in global terms of unscrewing something. Primarily I ask this because I am curious weather the 660m is up gradable since if you remove the back cover and see through the GPU horizontally, you notice that PCI connection can be seen. I would like to check if it comes out. For this I need to unscrew the heat sink of the GPU and was wandering if it voids the warranty. Are the some stickers that mark the points on where you will void it ?

Thnx.

Brian_ROG
06-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Hello! I'm sorry to say that you can't upgrade the video card in the G75. You can upgrade your hard drive or memory if you want. I'm not sure what would void your warranty, but upgrading your HD or RAM would not void it.

john_from_ohio
06-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Hello! I'm sorry to say that you can't upgrade the video card in the G75.

Umm ... no ... the video card at some point is potentially upgradeable.

Doing that kind of upgrade at some point and whether that will void the warranty probably depends on if the upgrade is done "by yourself" or by an asus authorized service provider.

Guido7142
06-01-2012, 09:54 PM
I know RAM or HDD or SSD won't void but just wandered if the GPU where up-gradable, inspite, I'v thrown an SSD in the empty bay.

As regards the GPU, I think that if you take out all screws and disassemble whatever is necessary, It would be possible to at least take off the GPU. You can see the PCI connection when bottom cover is removed, it is not soldered like in the G74.

As regards as upgrade, I would have to ask you what you think. I have been looking for quite a bit if this 660m is MxM or what. I would like to know if for instance you can change it for a 670m or 675m. Maybe it is not physically possible, maybe it fits but it will have problems with bandwidth or what so ever. What do you know and think about it ? Also if some of you has the G75 with the 670m, is it soldered ?

I will be posting some images of my notebook itself so you can see my point.

john_from_ohio
06-01-2012, 10:04 PM
Maybe it is not physically possible, maybe it fits but it will have problems with bandwidth or what so ever. What do you know and think about it ? Also if some of you has the G75 with the 670m, is it soldered ?

There is a thread somewhere in this forum with this info already ... someone is already planning on doing custom upgrades eventually ( probably pricey ) ... ( 680 ? ) ... as far as I know neither the 660 or 670 is soldered in the G75 systems ( G55 is different ? ) ... and is theoretically upgradeable ... just some custom machining apparently necessary for fit and cooling etc.

Guido7142
06-01-2012, 10:12 PM
I would really appreciate if you can link that thread, I've been looking for a long time in all Internet about this and found almost nothing or confusion responses.

Brian_ROG
06-01-2012, 10:16 PM
The 670m is not soldered on the G75. My appologies John, as you are correct that there is a possiblity of upgrading the video card but it is not likely to be compatable with many cards as i believe the 660 or 670m are a custom size to this machine. ( I could be wrong) I remember reading a thread about this at some point but can't remember :eek:

Brian_ROG
06-01-2012, 10:20 PM
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?15094-Is-it-possible-to-change-graphics-card-on-a-G75VW

I found the thread! Happy reading!

john_from_ohio
06-01-2012, 10:22 PM
I would really appreciate if you can link that thread, I've been looking for a long time in all Internet about this and found almost nothing or confusion responses.

Try doing a google search "G75VW upgrade video card" ... looks like 3rd or 4th hit gets you here http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1Is it possible to change graphics card on a G75VW (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?15094-Is-it-possible-to-change-graphics-card-on-a-G75VW) ...

Dang looks like google searches are ... difficult?

Daylife
06-02-2012, 12:37 AM
Hi all, I just wondered what will void your warranty in global terms of unscrewing something. Primarily I ask this because I am curious weather the 660m is up gradable since if you remove the back cover and see through the GPU horizontally, you notice that PCI connection can be seen. I would like to check if it comes out. For this I need to unscrew the heat sink of the GPU and was wandering if it voids the warranty. Are the some stickers that mark the points on where you will void it ?

Thnx.

If you remove the RAM under the keyboard that will VOID your Warranty.

Guido7142
06-02-2012, 05:48 AM
Will removing the keyboard void my warranty ? In such case, does someone know how to take off the keyboard ? I would like to change the color of the backlit.