PDA

View Full Version : G75VW-BBK5 3D Monitor Upgrade?!

jdog1473
06-01-2012, 10:24 PM
I have the Best Buy model and have already put in an SSD, RAM, and a Blu Ray drive to it...it got me thinking....

could you buy the monitor that is in the 3D model and plug and play to use it?

The 660m has 3D vision so I don't see why not....

Anyone smarter than me out there know why this would or would not work?

Thanks!

john_from_ohio
06-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Yes you can do it but easier and probably much cheaper to buy the model that you "really" want originally in the first place ...

jdog1473
06-01-2012, 11:39 PM
75 blu ray
50 8GB ram
100 SSD
200 monitor

1625 total for a 3d model - pretty good...plus I like doing these things

thanks for the reply

Daylife
06-02-2012, 12:49 AM
75 blu ray
50 8GB ram
100 SSD
200 monitor

1625 total for a 3d model - pretty good...plus I like doing these things

thanks for the reply

Hmm if you wanted to go that deep into config i would of just bought the higher version of the G75 : / lol.....Unless you really really wanted to do it yourself. If you dont care about voiding your warranty GO for it :)

Guido7142
06-02-2012, 05:52 AM
I have the Best Buy model too. I've been able to enable 3D mode in Crysis 2. Maybe it is a 3D monitor... Daylife, in one of your YouTube videos you told me it was 3D via comments. If someone has a pair of glasses, check if it is really 3D or not. I'm telling you, you can enable 3D in Crysis 2.

eugene.nelson
06-02-2012, 08:19 AM
If this is true that you can use the Best Buy laptop for 3D please let us know. I will buy the glasses if it works. There is a 3D settings block inside nvidia's control box. Let us all know.

john_from_ohio
06-02-2012, 10:54 AM
If this is true that you can use the Best Buy laptop for 3D please let us know. I will buy the glasses if it works. There is a 3D settings block inside nvidia's control box. Let us all know.

It should work IF YOU REPLACE the current LCD with one that supports 3D ... much easier to buy a model that has it already installed.

Guido7142
06-02-2012, 01:39 PM
I know this model theoretically does not support 3D, but I'm telling you that from software, everything suggests you can go 3D. I have tested in Crysis 2 that wen enabling 3D mode, you see this overlapped double image. I don't if this is really 3D or just the manifest of 3D rendering on a non 3D monitor.

I do not have glasses either, so it would help if someone that does checks it out.

djdouglas
06-02-2012, 08:17 PM
I can use the 3D with this laptop when I have my 60" LED 3D TV plugged in via HDMI. It works great, however the screens that come on the Bestbuy model are HD only and do not support the 120hz required to run 3D. I would like to try to find a supplier that sells the 3D LCD replacements but so far all of the LCD suppliers only have HD capable screens. No 3D capable screens. I do know they use to sell them back when I got my first G73 however by the time I got up the nerve to do a swap and order my screen I could not find anyone with the 3D screens.

If anyone knows where we could obtain them I would love to get their link or contact information.

Guido7142
06-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Douglas, if you have any 3D ready game or whatever, can you test enabling the 3D and verifying that you do not see 3D please ? Once again I tell you I have been able to turn 3D on in Crysis 2 and the 3D mode enabled OK, two overlapped images appeared. I just want to know if it only appears to be 3D but when you put your glasses on you do not see 3D or what happens.

ianinarizona
10-18-2012, 12:09 PM
Next to your power button there is a another button. For non-3D models it adjusts the power saving options, For 3D models it activates 3D. Why not just buy a ASUS 3D monitor? You can't haul it with you but you'd have 3D at home.

Fanty
10-18-2012, 03:33 PM
I have been able to turn 3D on in Crysis 2 and the 3D mode enabled OK, two overlapped images appeared. I just want to know if it only appears to be 3D but when you put your glasses on you do not see 3D or what happens.

I have a 3D Version of G75 and 3D works fine with it.
I once tried to plug the laptop to my TV, wich is not 3D capable and 60Hz only, just to see what happens. I can see the 2 images overlapped but the glasses dont work with that TV, no 3D effect to be seen.

EDIT:
I also wonder why the price difference between the 3D Version and the Non-3D Version is only 200 Euro.
The glasses alone cost 180 Euro (price on the NVidia page). Would the price difference for the displays be only 20 Euro? ;)

GottiBoi55
10-19-2012, 01:50 AM
I have the Best Buy model too. I've been able to enable 3D mode in Crysis 2. Maybe it is a 3D monitor... Daylife, in one of your YouTube videos you told me it was 3D via comments. If someone has a pair of glasses, check if it is really 3D or not. I'm telling you, you can enable 3D in Crysis 2.

Check you "refresh rate" for you monitor, if it's not capable of a 120 hertz refresh rate then it's not a 3D monitor.

Shawnnepc
10-19-2012, 01:19 PM
I can use the 3D with this laptop when I have my 60" LED 3D TV plugged in via HDMI. It works great, however the screens that come on the Bestbuy model are HD only and do not support the 120hz required to run 3D. I would like to try to find a supplier that sells the 3D LCD replacements but so far all of the LCD suppliers only have HD capable screens. No 3D capable screens. I do know they use to sell them back when I got my first G73 however by the time I got up the nerve to do a swap and order my screen I could not find anyone with the 3D screens.

If anyone knows where we could obtain them I would love to get their link or contact information.

I think the new 3D G series uses mini displayport instead of the traditional LVDS cable to connect the display.

I really wasn't in the mood to take apart our 3D demo unit to find out :D

Herby6262
04-23-2013, 06:43 AM
I too have wondered about this, and see some odd results. I belive the BBK5 will do 3D over the HDMI output port, and even over the VGA output port, but not on it;'s native screen. If you don't have it plugged into an external monitor the stereoscopic 3d options disappear from the nvidia control panel. I ordered a cheapy pair of passive glasses yesterday jhust to see what happens. That would be sweet if it worked in any which way. It sure makes it sound like it does...

Shawnnepc
04-23-2013, 01:59 PM
I too have wondered about this, and see some odd results. I belive the BBK5 will do 3D over the HDMI output port, and even over the VGA output port, but not on it;'s native screen. If you don't have it plugged into an external monitor the stereoscopic 3d options disappear from the nvidia control panel. I ordered a cheapy pair of passive glasses yesterday jhust to see what happens. That would be sweet if it worked in any which way. It sure makes it sound like it does...

3D doesn't work over VGA anymore (Hasn't since CRT era)

Any any case, passive glasses won't work in any shape or form because the screens lack the correct polarization to use the passive technology.

I know ASUS was toying around with a passive 3D laptop but I don't think it was ever released outside of trade shows.

HDMI is also limited to 60/60Hz @ 720p or 24/24Hz @ 1080p

That's why I think with the -3D VW they used mini displayport instead of LVDS.

BrandeX
05-01-2013, 04:32 AM
3D doesn't work over VGA anymore (Hasn't since CRT era)

Any any case, passive glasses won't work in any shape or form because the screens lack the correct polarization to use the passive technology.

I know ASUS was toying around with a passive 3D laptop but I don't think it was ever released outside of trade shows.

HDMI is also limited to 60/60Hz @ 720p or 24/24Hz @ 1080p

That's why I think with the -3D VW they used mini displayport instead of LVDS.
I use the VGA port on my BBK to play games in 3d (passive SBS) on my 42" 3d tv w/ vga in.
(some day I might get around to picking up an hdmi cable and try native 3d)

Shawnnepc
05-01-2013, 01:44 PM
I use the VGA port on my BBK to play games in 3d (passive SBS) on my 42" 3d tv w/ vga in.
(some day I might get around to picking up an hdmi cable and try native 3d)

Not a fan of SBS passive because of it's limitations. We stopped offering any computer based passive 3D solutions once iZ3D went out of business.

We used to have a passive 3D vs 3D vision demo in store and there was a huge difference between the tech