PDA

View Full Version : G55VW - Sound

dizz16
06-02-2012, 07:12 AM
Hi guys,

Still playing around with my new G55. Game performance is great so far. Max Payne 3 looks awesome!

One thing I did notice regarding this laptop is the loudness of the sound. I am trying to put the sound softer at night while everyone is sleeping, but even if I put the sound level on "1" on the HD Audio settings and as low as possible on the windows sound level bar, it is still loud. It is as if the laptop got a volume control from loud upto distortion loud...there is no way for me at the moment to make it soft enough to listen to a song quietly in the background or to play a game that only me can hear it.

Anyone else facing this and got a solution for it. I know headphones would do the trick, but I would like to fix it without going that route.

Thanks for the help!

ripplecarry
06-02-2012, 08:51 AM
I experienced exactly the same with my G55. It sounded like the speakers were broken sometimes, they were that distorted.

I solved it by uninstallating the VIA HD drivers and let Windows install its own, generic drivers instead (which it did automatically) and that solved the problem.

I don't now if that makes me loose and special features of the soundcard / speakers though? I think perhaps that I lost the subwoofer but I'm not sure since I usually play at a very low volume anyway.

dizz16
06-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Great, thank you that did the trick. Appreciated.

chrsplmr
06-02-2012, 04:01 PM
This is a great idea ... anybody with a G75 (sound issue) try this ? (temp. until Asus fixes this.)

Holy
06-02-2012, 05:14 PM
yea i kinda have this problem. what i do it change the game volume with it. takes a lil extra time but it works.

electric0ant
06-04-2012, 04:09 AM
I experienced exactly the same with my G55. It sounded like the speakers were broken sometimes, they were that distorted.

I solved it by uninstallating the VIA HD drivers and let Windows install its own, generic drivers instead (which it did automatically) and that solved the problem.

I don't now if that makes me loose and special features of the soundcard / speakers though? I think perhaps that I lost the subwoofer but I'm not sure since I usually play at a very low volume anyway.

thanks for this, I was wondering about this too as adjusting the volume seemed to make hardly any difference. but when i installed windows 8 preview the volume adjusted well just like i expected normally (it installed its own drivers).

i will uninstall via drivers tonight and give this a shot.

hopefully this will solve the issue of even when i have headphones in sometime when loading a new application it plays sounds through the speakers.

mckytm
06-07-2012, 03:49 AM
Bump, for people like me still experiencing this :) thanks for the tip, I'll try it out

dizz16
06-07-2012, 05:51 PM
Well like I say, I did it after the 1st reply and it is working fine. On screen volume indicator still works and volume can actually go "soft".

Thanks again!

john_from_ohio
06-07-2012, 06:22 PM
This is a great idea ... anybody with a G75 (sound issue) try this ? (temp. until Asus fixes this.)

Yes this is certainly a workable "bypass" solution and will work on G75VW ... you lose bottom speaker ...

electric0ant
06-08-2012, 07:37 AM
it appears this issue is with the sub not changing volume correctly when the drivers are installed. if you uninstall the via drivers the sub stops working so it is a temp work around. however with the drivers uninstalled the volume controls no longer work for headphones that have been plugged in.
i read on another post that there is meant to be a fix coming out.

aside from this I am very happy with my G55 :)

Arvinaaaaa
06-08-2012, 01:26 PM
YES.....FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ASUS HAS RELEASED A NEW VIA HD AUDIO FOR THE G55... DRIVER VERSION IS V6.0.01.10400

THE CURRENT VERSION OF DRIVER IN THE G55 IS V6.0.01.10300...

MAYBE THE NEW DRIVER CAN SOLVE THE ****TY AUDIO PROBLEM..IM DOWNLOADING THE DRIVER NOW AND WILL TEST IT SOON..FINALLY...ASUS IS HEARING US AND NOT IGNORING US... ...SOME HOPE FOR THE G55 IS GIVEN BY ASUS..

thanks and sorry for caps lock

dizz16
06-11-2012, 11:10 AM
Now that sounds promising...any feedback from someone who tried the new drivers??

Arvinaaaaa
06-11-2012, 11:11 AM
So far all problems solved

dizz16
06-11-2012, 11:16 AM
Great stuff, I am downloading mine now. Will also post some feedback later on!

Thanks for the heads up Arvinaaaaa!! :P

Arvinaaaaa
06-11-2012, 11:48 AM
Great stuff, I am downloading mine now. Will also post some feedback later on!

Thanks for the heads up Arvinaaaaa!! :P
Welcome bro..anytime

electric0ant
06-11-2012, 03:49 PM
i downloaded the new drivers a few days ago and this has not resovled my problems. sub volume is still loud right until voluem goes to 0, and to make matters worse when i plug my headphones in sound now plays from both speakers and headphones....

dizz16
06-11-2012, 04:55 PM
@electric0ant, Strange...I installed the latest drivers and all seems to be normal now.
Make sure you uninstall the previous drivers...only thing I can think of.

Sub is working, volume control is normal and it can actually go all the way down until it is completely off. I am using Logitech G35 headphones which is USB and as soon as I plug them in the speakers go off and it the sound only comes through the headphones.

Arvinaaaaa
06-12-2012, 01:50 AM
@electric0ant, Strange...I installed the latest drivers and all seems to be normal now.

Sub is working, volume control is normal and it can actually go all the way down until it is completely off. I am using Logitech G35 headphones which is USB and as soon as I plug them in the speakers go off and it the sound only comes through the headphones.
thats the spirit :) :) :) need to uninstall the old driver completely first..hey i need to aks you a question, my g55 gpu goes up to 82c using furmark in full hd..is this normal bro? please reply. thanks

electric0ant
06-12-2012, 01:58 AM

if you are using usb headsets then you won't have the problem as the computer actually switches sound cards. my problem seems to be that when i am using the normal 3.5mm headset connector on the laptop, but i think it is the subwoofer still playing sound.

anyhow, I will take your advice and uninstall all sound drivers first before reinstalling the new drivers.

dizz16
06-12-2012, 05:41 AM
if you are using usb headsets then you won't have the problem as the computer actually switches sound cards. my problem seems to be that when i am using the normal 3.5mm headset connector on the laptop, but i think it is the subwoofer still playing sound.

I just tried with 3.5mm headset and it is working fine. No sound coming from laptop speakers or sub at all.

..hey i need to aks you a question, my g55 gpu goes up to 82c using furmark in full hd..is this normal bro? please reply. thanks

Will check and let you know. ;)

dizz16
06-12-2012, 05:46 AM
Mmmmm, ok I take it back...my sound at "low" level is still very loud all the sudden after a restart :(
I am reverting back to standard drivers and will give the re-install of the latest ones one more go...quite frustrating.

electric0ant
06-12-2012, 12:29 PM
tried testing with V6.0.01.10300 and V6.0.01.10400 drivers. the new driver still does not lower the volume of the subwoofer, and also when i plug headphones in the sub kicks in even if I have turned off 2.1 channel sound in the VIA manager.
my only working solution is V6.0.01.10300 with the sub disabled. at least that way volume goes up and down correctly and when i plug headphones no sound is played from subwoofer.

update: i just restarted again while on the newer drivers and now the subwoofer volume is adjusted correctly. bu sub still plays sound when headphones are plugged in.

Riker
06-12-2012, 01:03 PM
I have exactly the same problem with the hardware volume control not working even with the new drivers V6.0.01.10400

Have disabled 2.1 sound for now and the controls are working for now. Waiting patiently for new drivers (come on ASUS - it is such an obvious bug)

Arvinaaaaa
06-12-2012, 01:12 PM
I have exactly the same problem with the hardware volume control not working even with the new drivers V6.0.01.10400

Have disabled 2.1 sound for now and the controls are working for now. Waiting patiently for new drivers (come on ASUS - it is such an obvious bug)
i dont understand, how come the new drivers dont work for you guys?\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Xcj8o3FU8 my own video

Arvinaaaaa
06-13-2012, 02:19 AM
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?17116-audio-update-sub-woofer-volume-levels-looks-fixed-with-via-audio-10500B&country=&status=
GUYS, LOOK AT THIS LINK..GOT NEW BETA DRIVER

electric0ant
06-13-2012, 03:15 AM
i dont understand, how come the new drivers dont work for you guys?\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Xcj8o3FU8 my own video

plug in headphones into the headphone socket and let me know what happens, for me sound still keeps playing from the sub as well as the headphones.

Arvinaaaaa
06-13-2012, 03:31 AM
plug in headphones into the headphone socket and let me know what happens, for me sound still keeps playing from the sub as well as the headphones.
plugged in, sound from speakers and subwoofer dissapears..tried by play/pause and restarting g55, sound still doesnot come from subwiifer when headphones attached, i have tried appprox 15 to 20 times but not single sound come from subwoofer when headphones attaches

electric0ant
06-13-2012, 04:15 AM
plugged in, sound from speakers and subwoofer dissapears..tried by play/pause and restarting g55, sound still doesnot come from subwiifer when headphones attached, i have tried appprox 15 to 20 times but not single sound come from subwoofer when headphones attaches

thanks, i will do a clean install of windows 7 and test. it might be that i used windows to automatically install its own drivers at some point (someone's recommendation from another thread) and i can't seem to uninstall them whenever i uninstall the via drivers windows just automatically install some other drivers from somewhere.
hopefully this should sort it all out.

Arvinaaaaa
06-13-2012, 05:10 AM
thanks, i will do a clean install of windows 7 and test. it might be that i used windows to automatically install its own drivers at some point (someone's recommendation from another thread) and i can't seem to uninstall them whenever i uninstall the via drivers windows just automatically install some other drivers from somewhere.
hopefully this should sort it all out.
you can do it :) :) dont give up

electric0ant
06-13-2012, 02:41 PM
I HAVE SOLVED IT!!!! YOU BASICALLY HAVE TO RESTART TWICE AFTER INSTALLING THE DRIVERS!!!!

Driver: V6.0.01.10400
After installing it will ask you to restart, and when it loads and you load up Via HD Audio Deck, you will see 4 devices: Speaker, Headphones, SPDIF Out, and Microphone. If you switch to expert mode you will have 4 tabs along the top with these 4 items. If you see this then the issue still occurs as the driver still see the headphones and speakers as seperate devices.
restart again and the headphones device will now be gone only leaving you with the other 3 devices, and wehn plugging in headphones no more sound comes from the speakers again! i restarted multiple times and headphones device has not appeared anymore! Happy Days!!

I find the beta drivers: V6.0.01.10500 to have issues adjusting the sub volume, it doesn't sync 100% with the main volume. i set everything at 0 and sub volume only goes up by half of what i set main volume to be e.g. main volume 50% sub volume 25%, main volume 100% sub volume 50%

so install V6.0.01.10400 drivers, restart twice and you should be all good!!

Arvinaaaaa
06-13-2012, 02:45 PM
I HAVE SOLVED IT!!!! YOU BASICALLY HAVE TO RESTART TWICE AFTER INSTALLING THE DRIVERS!!!!

Driver: V6.0.01.10400
After installing it will ask you to restart, and when it loads and you load up Via HD Audio Deck, you will see 4 devices: Speaker, Headphones, SPDIF Out, and Microphone. If you switch to expert mode you will have 4 tabs along the top with these 4 items. If you see this then the issue still occurs as the driver still see the headphones and speakers as seperate devices.
restart again and the headphones device will now be gone only leaving you with the other 3 devices, and wehn plugging in headphones no more sound comes from the speakers again! i restarted multiple times and headphones device has not appeared anymore! Happy Days!!

I find the beta drivers: V6.0.01.10500 to have issues adjusting the sub volume, it doesn't sync 100% with the main volume. i set everything at 0 and sub volume only goes up by half of what i set main volume to be e.g. main volume 50% sub volume 25%, main volume 100% sub volume 50%

so install V6.0.01.10400 drivers, restart twice and you should be all good!!
Finally, someone that can solve the problem with me..congratz bro,i didnt know must restart twice..after I install the 10400 drivers, I just turn on the driver manually and all problems solved..no more any ****ty audio problems bro..happy for you and happy for the g55.the 10400DRIVER WORks :)

mckytm
06-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Excellent -- bumping this up and trying to download the drivers now :)

electric0ant
06-14-2012, 01:43 AM
Finally, someone that can solve the problem with me..congratz bro,i didnt know must restart twice..after I install the 10400 drivers, I just turn on the driver manually and all problems solved..no more any ****ty audio problems bro..happy for you and happy for the g55.the 10400DRIVER WORks :)

yeah it is weird that you have to restart twice, because what I was doing was installing, restart, not working and then uninstalling, it was by pure luck i restarted twice and then realised its now working!

Arvinaaaaa
06-14-2012, 03:22 AM
yeah it is weird that you have to restart twice, because what I was doing was installing, restart, not working and then uninstalling, it was by pure luck i restarted twice and then realised its now working!
:) excellent...congratz again

milan
08-17-2012, 05:00 PM

i've done exactly the same, had 10300 so installed 10400 then 2 restarts (first after installing, second after windows started again) and nothing happened, still the same problem. Watching movie, pause, browsing internet, then again playing movie and the problem is back... sound playing from headphones and also from laptop in the same time...

milan
08-17-2012, 05:56 PM
sorted by installing 10600 version, hope it will work fine not only today;)