PDA

View Full Version : G75VW Random Reboot

Fangrim
06-02-2012, 11:32 PM
SOLVED!

Read more here: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?23087-***SOLVED***-G75VW-Reboot-after-Hibernation&p=160222#post160222

Hullos all!

My G75VW randomly reboots, and I cannot for the life of me figure out why.

Specs:
A stock G75VW T1107 - no hardware tweaking of any kind done:
GeForce GTX 670M, 3GB
16GB RAM
Intel Core i7 3610QM @ 2.3GHz
750GB SATA HDD. No SSD drive installed. No 2nd drive installed.
BIOS 207 (newest version)

First thing I did was to erase internal HDD, and install Windows 7 Ultimate (I hate bloatware). I used the drivers on the Driver CD that came with the PC.

Device manager does not report any devices as faulty or missing drivers.

The PC just turns off instantly, as if power was pulled - then a 2-3 second pause, and restarts.

Observations:
There is no pattern (that I can see) to the reboot frequency. No specific action triggers it.
No Blue Screen (reboot at failure has been deactivated).
Nothing in Windows Event Log (except a notification telling me that Windows has unexpectedly shut down).
It has been running for anywhere between 30 minutes to 2 days between crashes.

Crashes has happened while:
Playing Diablo III
Browsing a webpage
Idling in Windows
Reading a .pdf
Changing a setting in BIOS (I did not Save and Exit - simply changed a setting.)
Playing a song in WinAmp
...and a few more I can't remember ;o)

Things I have tried:
Stress testing CPU, GPU, USB ports, internal HDD. Not a hitch - no reboots.
Checked memory with Windows Memtest - all tests completed without error.
CPU/GPU temperatures are well below any critical limits, even during stress tests.

I'm running out of ideas - only thing I can think of is a hardware issue, and I'd really hate to send it in for repairs *sigh*

The BIOS reboots scares me - might've been a fluke, but BIOS crashing spells major trouble to me :(

Any gurus here who have any ideas?

Additional info, Sep. 17, 2012

Here's what I've found so far:

1) Reboot happens ONLY after Hibernating.
2) Reboot happens exactly 10:04 mins after pressing the power button.

Here's what I've tried after the above discovery (thanks to the other posters in this thread for the Hibernation clue ;o):

All tests run on a clean install of Windows 7. No additional drivers installed.

1) Entered Hibernation, and resumed from Hibernation. Reboot after 10:04 mins.

2) As I cannot enter BIOS when starting from Hibernation, I tried booting from a disc with a boot menu. I left the boot menu active for 10:04 mins, and *POOF* - reboot.

3) Went into Hibernation, booted into boot CD menu, left it for 5 mins, and continued the Hibernation resume into Windows (did not reboot the computer, simply a menu option to continue booting from internal HDD). Reboot after 5 minutes.

4) Went into Hibernation. When computer was off, I removed the power (I know it's powered off when Hibernating, but tried anyways to see if there was a change) and plugged power back in (battery was out). Rebooted in 10:04.

5) This is where it gets spooky:
5.1) Went into Hibernation, PC shut down as normal.
5.2) Powered up, booted into CD boot menu.
5.3) Restarted the computer from the CD boot menu, and removed the CD.
5.4) Booted into Windows (resuming Hibernation as "normal").

Result: No reboot.

To sum it up:
The computer reboots 10:04 mins after hibernation, no matter if I enter a CD boot menu or boots directly into Windows. I think there's some hardware timeout that reboots the PC after 10 mins if resuming from hibernation, no matter if Windows is running or not.

The computer does NOT reboot if I perform a restart from the CD menu, BEFORE allowing the PC to resume hibernation. So apparantly the error is corrected when restarting the computer, even if it directly proceeds to resuming waking up from Hibernation.

I'm stumped - can't figure out what the cause is. Any gurus here who can shed some more light over the subject?

switch
06-02-2012, 11:44 PM
I don't know what the problem is, but wanted to say I have the same issue. I got my G75VW just over a week ago and it's rebooted itself 3 times now. I'm usually doing something simple like reading email or using chrome.

It suddenly switches off like there's been a power cut in the house (but this is a laptop with a battery!) then boots back up. At first I thought it was some software updating and rebooting the pc but not sure it is that anymore.

Fangrim
06-02-2012, 11:50 PM
I'm going to reinstall Windows now, see if this fixes anything.

@switch: Are you using the preinstalled Windows or have you installed your own?

switch
06-03-2012, 12:06 AM
@switch: Are you using the preinstalled Windows or have you installed your own?

I'm using the pre-installed Windows. Apart from installing the usual games and applications the only main change I've done is to uninstall Macafee and install the latest Kaspersky anti-virus

dstrakele
06-03-2012, 01:41 AM
You've done quite a bit of troubleshooting, including reinstalling Windows. You report the random shutdowns can occur at anytime while doing anything, even while changing a setting in the BIOS. That indicates the problem is occurring at a basic level outside of the OS (which is not even loaded at that point).

If you are still within your retailer's exchange/return period, I recommend exchanging your laptop for a new unit or taking the refund. Let the retailer and ASUS figure it out. Don't let it become YOUR problem.

john_from_ohio
06-03-2012, 02:11 AM
Have you looked at contents of event viewer ... some clues may be there about what is triggering shutdown/reboot.

Have you installed any kind of different antivirus besides mcaffee ( which seems to be highly correlated to various issues on the G75/G55 series )?

Fangrim
06-03-2012, 03:33 PM
Back from Win7 reinstall, so far no reboots ;o)

@john_from_ohio: Nothing in Event Viewer that triggers my Bat-sense. A few warnings occurring, but nothing special at all.

No antivirus installed, not even Window's own. I run every new program in a Virtualbox and scans it from there, before installing it on the Host system.

I browse unknown/untrusted sites from the Virtualbox, and I regularly scan the PC from a bootable USB stick with 3 Anti Virus utilities (Trend, Kaspersky, BitDefender).

The Windows 7 install is an original Ultimate, so no bloatware installed whatsoever.

I like my system clean and minimal ;o)

@dstrakele: Yeah, the BIOS reboot is the one that worries me too.

I just hate to have to send it in for repairs, especially with a non-reproducable error. My experience with these errors are that the repair guys turns it on, let it run a few stress tests for a while, finds nothing, then concludes there's nothing wrong...

I'm actually kinda happy that switch reports the same problem as I have (sorry switch ;o) - this gives me a tiny hope that it could be something that could be fixed in a future BIOS upgrade.

At least there has been no reboots - yet... *knocks on wood*

benz.w.chan@gmail.com
06-05-2012, 07:37 AM
Just wanted to say that I have the same random rebooting issues as well. Bought the G75V only a couple of days ago.

john_from_ohio
06-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Possibly a flaky power connection to the motherboard issue for some/all of these reports? Think I would be returning mine with random reboots if I was convinced that it was not any other kind of self induced phenomenon.

dstrakele
06-05-2012, 04:59 PM
ASUS Live Update has been reported to reboot systems unexpectedly when perfroming an update. The other users who report similar issues will want to confirm that is NOT what actually happened. But if you truly got a reboot while changing a setting in the BIOS, there is no way installing Windows can fix it. Don't send it in for repairs - contact the retailer and exchange it for a new unit or take a refund.

You are correct in thinking that if it is an intermittent issue, it is likely it will not be reproduced at the repair center and the defective laptop will just be sent back to you.

To believe that it is BIOS firmware-related AND will be fixed in a future BIOS update is really taking a chance.

If you don't get rid of it now, you may be dealing with this issue for a long time...

john_from_ohio
06-05-2012, 05:25 PM
ASUS Live Update has been reported to reboot systems unexpectedly when perfroming an update. The other users who report similar issues will want to confirm that is NOT what actually happened.

Thats handy to be aware of thanks! Not that Asus Live Update is still installed on machine ... but for many others it probably still is.

m3rcer
06-05-2012, 07:15 PM
I'll chime in a little... my G75vw-bbk5 also does the (not so) random reboot. Tho it only does it a few minutes out of hibernation, shutting the lid, then opening it up later. So now I just don't do that. I just turn it off. Since I have an SSD for boot drive it's not a big deal.

Ami Yuy
06-12-2012, 05:50 PM
This is happening to me too!!! (Auto restart turned off, no blue screen)

I JUST finished a complete reinstall of Windows because I thought I might be having driver issues from the previous one. All my drivers are up-to-date as far as I can tell, and I have ZERO Asus Bloatware installed (only the ATK package).

It is completely random. This time it was as I was adjusting my power settings, it's happened while browsing the internet several times, and after closing Remote Desktop once. It's actually never happened while a long-term or high-graphic thing has been running. I've been able to do hours and day-long back-ups and installs without any interruption, even while using it, even play StarCraft II, League of Legends, or World of Warcraft for yours without issue. It only seems to happen to me so far when the computer is idle other than doing something very simple.

I ran Windows RAM checker and it said everything was fine.

I don't /want/ to send it back as I had to return my first order (a G74) for a defective screen/gpu and then had to wait weeks for this one to arrive, and I just spent an entire day reinstalling again... This is EXTREMELY frustrating!

Should I try taking out the SSD I installed? (Which will be a pita because then I'll have to install Windows to the other HD since I wiped it.) Is there nothing else I can do?

Stock G75VW-AS71
Intel Core i7 2.7 GHz Processor 2.3GHz
16 GB DIMM
750 GB 7200 rpm Hard Drive, 256 GB m4 6Gb/s Solid State Drive self-installed
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 2GB GDDR5
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
No idea about BIOS

john_from_ohio
06-12-2012, 06:08 PM
This is happening to me too!!! (Auto restart turned off, no blue screen)

I JUST finished a complete reinstall of Windows because I thought I might be having driver issues from the previous one. All my drivers are up-to-date as far as I can tell, and I have ZERO Asus Bloatware installed (only the ATK package).

It is completely random.

I would think that you should take a shot at BIOS ... 307 is latest ... probably back a level if you have not done this update. Do not do it in windows burn update to flash drive and run BIOS update utility from BIOS ( F2 on restart ).

I have my power settings to never go to sleep when power is plugged in. Wondering if you have something funky in that setting or are experiencing somehow the problem described ... my machine also runs from SSD and I just shut it down when finished using it otherwise it stays on.

Good luck!

dstrakele
06-12-2012, 06:11 PM
If I were experiencing this issue, I'd try to reproduce the random reboot from within Express Gate Cloud. This is an ASUS BIOS Extension that allows you to quickly startup (in 15 seconds or less) by pressing the ROG button instead of the Power On button. The Windows 7 OS is not yet loaded when you are in Express Gate Cloud. You have limited functionality, such as Browsing, social networking, or playing music or videos.

Getting a random reboot in Express Gate indicates a very basic issue that cannot be resolved in Windows. It means you should return or exchange your laptop.

If you do wish to troubleshoot further, you could run memtest86+ to confirm if your memory is sound.

Ami Yuy
06-12-2012, 06:58 PM
I would think that you should take a shot at BIOS ... 307 is latest ... probably back a level if you have not done this update. Do not do it in windows burn update to flash drive and run BIOS update utility from BIOS ( F2 on restart ).

I have my power settings to never go to sleep when power is plugged in. Wondering if you have something funky in that setting or are experiencing somehow the problem described ... my machine also runs from SSD and I just shut it down when finished using it otherwise it stays on.
I'm not going to mess with the BIOS myself, that'll have to wait till my husband gets home. I just cleaned up the Power Management High Performance profile to turn off all the auto-sleep/hibernate stuff and disabled turning the hard drive off after X amount of time. I know the previous install I hadn't messed with most of that. We'll see what happens.

If I were experiencing this issue, I'd try to reproduce the random reboot from within Express Gate Cloud. This is an ASUS BIOS Extension that allows you to quickly startup (in 15 seconds or less) by pressing the ROG button instead of the Power On button. The Windows 7 OS is not yet loaded when you are in Express Gate Cloud. You have limited functionality, such as Browsing, social networking, or playing music or videos.

Getting a random reboot in Express Gate indicates a very basic issue that cannot be resolved in Windows. It means you should return or exchange your laptop.

If you do wish to troubleshoot further, you could run memtest86+ to confirm if your memory is sound.
Express Gate Cloud has to be installed, correct? And it's that ROG icon button next to power?

Is memtest86+ any better or different than the built-in Windows 7 one? (I'm reading up on how to use it, just curious.)

dstrakele
06-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Express Gate Cloud came installed on G74SX systems. I'm uncertain if it is on the G75 or G55 Series systems. But it's easy to find out. Just press the ROG button to start your system instead of the Power On button. It'll boot very quickly into Express Gate if it is installed. Then you can attempt to reproduce the randow reboot issue.

Memtest86+ offers the ability for a more intensive check of the memory than Windows memory diagnostic utility. I recommend running at least 3 passes. ANY errors reported are a fail.

Asakura
07-07-2012, 07:58 AM
sorry for the necro but this is one of the few usefull links that appears with "g75vw random reboots" on google so..

this happened to me twice I LOVE this machine, with the thermal paste from HID its super cool (running at 16 celcius in a cool room and in battery saving, 22 at 32~35 degrees ambiental)

but the reboots and the fked up graphic card connector courtesy of the bad labor of HID (if i bend the laptop where the video card is, video goes out), are going to make me send this machine for warranty in a few months.

anyways the random reboots on my machine have a pattern.

its hibernation. everytime that i do a hibernation something weird happens, once the hibernation file went to hell and i had to start from 0, and the random reboots happens when i do hibernation, not when i send the laptop to sleep.

there is something bios level with the hibernation, that may be the cause for many of us

Ami Yuy
07-07-2012, 08:05 AM
sorry for the necro but this is one of the few usefull links that appears with "g75vw random reboots" on google so..

this happened to me twice I LOVE this machine, with the thermal paste from HID its super cool (running at 16 celcius in a cool room and in battery saving, 22 at 32~35 degrees ambiental)

but the reboots and the fked up graphic card connector courtesy of the bad labor of HID (if i bend the laptop where the video card is, video goes out), are going to make me send this machine for warranty in a few months.

anyways the random reboots on my machine have a pattern.

its hibernation. everytime that i do a hibernation something weird happens, once the hibernation file went to hell and i had to start from 0, and the random reboots happens when i do hibernation, not when i send the laptop to sleep.

there is something bios level with the hibernation, that may be the cause for many of us
I was considering whether to bump this thread or not and was also waiting to make sure my problem had gone away before doing so, and it seems to have, so...

I agree that it is Hibernation causing it at least for some of us. After replacing both the laptop and the SSD with brand new ones (same brands and models) and doing another clean Windows install, it was still happening. I finally made the connection with the laptop having Hibernated beforehand (it varied in how long after Hibernate it rebooted from hours to minutes) and stopped using it...and voila, no reboots for a week now! The time that finally decided it for me was when it refused to turn back on after being put into Hibernate overnight.

Sleep on the other hand works perfectly fine!

dstrakele
07-07-2012, 02:52 PM
If you're encountering problems Resuming from Hibernation, try recreating the HIBERFIL.SYS file where Windows stores the memory image of your system when it hibernates.

Launch a Command Prompt by right-clicking on its icon and choosing "Run as Administrator" from the popup menu. Then enter the command: powercfg -h off

This will disable Hibernation and you can now delete C:\hiberfil.sys.

Turn Hibernation back on with the command: powercfg -h on
and a new hiberfil.sys file will be created (that hopefully will resolve your "Resume from Hibernation" issues).

Ami Yuy
07-07-2012, 06:43 PM
If you're encountering problems Resuming from Hibernation, try recreating the HIBERFIL.SYS file where Windows stores the memory image of your system when it hibernates.

Launch a Command Prompt by right-clicking on its icon and choosing "Run as Administrator" from the popup menu. Then enter the command: powercfg -h off

This will disable Hibernation and you can now delete C:\hiberfil.sys.

Turn Hibernation back on with the command: powercfg -h on
and a new hiberfil.sys file will be created (that hopefully will resolve your "Resume from Hibernation" issues).
Good to know! :)

I actually don't like Hibernating as I've always had issues with it on other computers in the past, so I have no problem with just disabling it completely (not to mention it apparently saves space on the drive!).

dstrakele
07-07-2012, 07:00 PM
IASTOR.SYS of the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver has an issue that may lead to high CPU utilization and lockups after Resuming from Hibernation. See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?11409-G74SX-Freezes-shortly-after-sleep-hibernate&p=97873&viewfull=1#post97873

Shawnnepc
07-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Sorry to hear that you guys are having issues.

Please try the following so we can collect proper information to send to ASUS.

Start orb > right click 'computer' > properties > Advanced system settings > Under 'Start up and Recovery' click 'settings' > under 'System Failure' UNCHECK 'Automatically Restart' > Under 'Write Debugging information' Select 'Small Memory Dump (256 KB)' make sure the file path is correct: %SystemRoot%\Minidump.

Your system will no longer auto restart when a error has occured.

When the blue-screen occurs please leave the blue screen up for approx 1min so a proper minidump can be written to the system.

After one min cold shut down the computer and restart.

Navigate to your Mini dump folder which will be located in Windows/Minidump

E-mail me the minidump : Shawn AT neteffectspc DOT com

kiba
07-07-2012, 11:00 PM
This thread might help to understand what might be up, if you have the 670m model

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?18649-turns-out-my-g75-was-defective-(&p=127198&posted=1

I just found out recently that some of the mobo's on the 670m models might be defective.

MUPiSz
07-08-2012, 05:02 AM
>>The PC just turns off instantly, as if power was pulled - then a 2-3 second pause, and restarts.

i bought two G75VW's and they both do this now. i now see other's posting the same issue

Noiroi
07-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Morning all -

I thought I would add my experience with Best Buy, Asus Support and my G75VW. I have no intentions of flaming anyone or group, so if that comes across in my post I apologize in advance as this whole experience is very frustrating.

I purchased my G75VW-BBK5 on 01JUN2012. I happily skipped to my car, sped home and glided into my humble abode with visions of dominating everything in full visual bliss. I hadn't installed anything. Two hours into having the machine running, it reboots. I didn't think anything of it... maybe I did something to cause it... no worries. It rebooted and corrected itself. Let's fast forward to two days later. The machine has rebooted several times and I'm fully irritated. During this time I have formatted the hard drive, installed Windows 7 Ultimate, the Asus drivers, the Asus applications, and it still rebooted. I then bought a SSD, formatted both drives, and installed Windows 7 Ultimate, the Asus drivers, and the Asus applications on the SSD... it still reboots. At this point I'm thinking it could be a few things causing this... a bad motherboard, out of date bios, and/or something in the Asus drivers/applications.

I go back to BB and am instructed to call Asus customer support because only one other person has reported this problem of their best seller and he used his Geek Squad insurance to get the problem resolved. Uh huh, I see. I call Asus and they instruct me to return to BB and have them troubleshoot it since there's an agreement between them and BB. Also, This is an incident that they haven't heard of or have knowledge about. *le sigh* Fine... after all, it's a new product, new design, and as first adopter I should come to terms with being a beta tester. I send it to Geek Squad and 10 days later I get a call stating that the problem is my SSD. No, I think not since the machine rebooted on it's own harddrive. I instruct them to return the machine to me as soon as possible. I get the machine, do a return and get a brand new one... thinking I just had a "bad" one.

After the exchange, I let the machine run for a day... no reboot. I'm happy. Ok, now, let's get down to business I attempt to reformat the harddrive because I'm going to install Windows 7 Ultimate (side note, my SSD came back 'broken' from Geek Squad so word of advice, make sure you remove all of your 'stuff' before sending it in). After deleting the GPT partition, reformatting and installing Windows 7 Ultimate, the Asus drivers, the Asus applications, and the 'standard' M$ Office applications... I sit back to admire my work and am pleased. Everything is working... and the most important thing... no reboots. I'm happy. I'm singing praises. Hell, I even offer to cook dinner. It's been a long day, the machine is running and all that is left for me to do is clean up the Domino boxes and head to bed. Cooking can be so exhausting at times.

This morning, my machine appears to be sleeping. Poor baby had a busy day yesterday. I gently wake it up, only to find that it is resuming... wait, resuming? Hrm... maybe a power setting to have it hibernate? After all I did do a reinstall. Less than three minutes of it waking it... it reboots. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Ok, let's think this through...

I have a new machine.
I have reformated the original hard drive
I have installed Win7 Ultimate
I have installed *ALL* the Asus applications
I have installed *ALL* the Asus drivers
I have installed 'standard' productivity applications such as MS Office
I have installed MS updates and security

I'm thinking that it is an Asus driver that's causing the reboot. But am unsure where or what to do at this point. Well, tha's not completely true, I'm going to look for drivers from the respective manufacturers (Intel, Nvidia, etc) and only use Asus drivers when I have to. I'm also going to remove some of their non-driver software one by one and see what happens. I still have 28 days before I can't use the exchange policy at BB.

I'm interested in hearing about others who have/are experiencing this problem.

Asus G75VW random reboot restart crash G75

dstrakele
07-08-2012, 03:46 PM
1) Does your Random Reboot only occur after Resuming from Hibernation?

2) Have you installed the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver to this system?

3) If you delete and recreate C:\HIBERFIL.SYS as discussed earlier in this thread, does it resolve your issue?

UltimaRage
07-08-2012, 03:47 PM
No strange reboots on my BBK5. Have had it for a week.

Return it. It seems defective.

dstrakele
07-08-2012, 04:01 PM
@MUPiSz reports this issue on 2 G75VW systems and @Noiroi has already returned the original G75VW-BBK5
laptop and is experiencing the same Random Reboot issue on the replacement. I think further troubleshooting is warranted as long as the exchange period limit is not exceeded.

Noiroi
07-08-2012, 05:01 PM
1) Does your Random Reboot only occur after Resuming from Hibernation?

2) Have you installed the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver to this system?

3) If you delete and recreate C:\HIBERFIL.SYS as discussed earlier in this thread, does it resolve your issue?

I have not installed IRST.
I have not been able to locate the hibernate file. I've done a full system search and still no file. Which is weird because that tells me either the file hasn't been created yet (which implies the system never went into hibernate status) or it's a hidden system file and I just need to check the setting to make it appear. Good lawd, so much work just to get **** to work...

I have also disable hibernate for now. So, what I'll do is let the system sit for a while (which will be hard since I have several games calling me by name to save the world) and address this issue after I come back from warring with BB.

dstrakele
07-08-2012, 05:23 PM
HIBERFIL.SYS is a hidden protected operating system file. You need to UNcheck that checkbox in the "View" tab of Folder Options to see it.

If you disable Hibernation, Windows may have deleted it.

I think the key is to determine if Hibernation is a requirement for the "Random Reboot" issue.

waynes26
07-09-2012, 12:16 AM
To delete the Hibernation file (hiberfil.sys ) you have had o run CMD and type powercfg -h off. As mentioned it is a hidden file. you can see it in the root folded of C drive after you enable it in file options.

skysimone
08-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Hello.

I found this thread and I have a brand new G75vw that will not resume after hibernation.. it just freezes.

I have been writing about it in this thread..
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?20093-Brand-New-G75VW-crashes-freezes-shortcuts-don-t-work.-HELP&p=140008&posted=1#post140008
and I found some information in this other thread..
http://rog.asus.com/forum/newreply.php?p=120754&noquote=1

but I have been unable to figure out a fix so far.. please help
Sky - http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16543-G75VW-Random-Reboot/page3

skysimone
08-09-2012, 06:29 PM
Good to know! :)

I actually don't like Hibernating as I've always had issues with it on other computers in the past, so I have no problem with just disabling it completely (not to mention it apparently saves space on the drive!).

tried adding picture but it didn't work so here.. you can see that the command line in command prompt is not working
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150987617727544&set=a.10150987617557544.413116.702452543&type=3&theater

Ami Yuy
08-09-2012, 07:37 PM
Hi skysimone,

(The picture is friends-locked.)

You don't have to disable Hibernation in the command prompt in order to not use it (although it will gain you some space back on the hard drive if you can get it to work).

If you change your power settings to either Sleep or just Nothing that will keep it from happening as long as you don't tell it to do that yourself:
1) Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options
2) Choose the radio button next to "High Performance" in order to activate it.
3) Choose " Change plan settings"
4) Make sure everything in the + menus is either set to Sleep/Do nothing/Never and that Hibernate is not chosen in any of the locations.

As long as you NEVER Hibernate the random reboots should not be a problem. I shut down my computer every night when I'm done and then just re-start it in the mornings because of how fast the Solid State drive runs. I don't know that I've ever used Sleep after discovering the problem with Hibernation though, so I cannot guarantee that that works better. However, I have also never had any random reboots since I disabled and stopped using Hibernate.

skysimone
08-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Just don't use hibernate.. on a brand new computer that freezes and will not recover when you hibernate is not an ok answer to me.

It's like saying 'if your new car won't use 3rd gear.. just don't use 3rd gear'
I paid for a product to work. and I want a product that works
Sadly I have just lost 300 gig of crucial data.. I'm a photographer and all of my photos from the last 6 weeks are gone.. because last night just before I was about to remove everything onto an external drive, this computer put itself in hibernate and would not recover.

Best buy want me to pay $150 to attempt to recover.. some computer stores sound more promising and cheaper for data recovery.

This computer is a nightmare. to anyone else who has issues.. please return to the store.. do not waste your time trying to fix.. and lose all your data.. and important days from your life like me.

ASUS.. THIS IS SHAMEFUL

Ami Yuy
08-11-2012, 12:20 AM
Just don't use hibernate.. on a brand new computer that freezes and will not recover when you hibernate is not an ok answer to me.

It's like saying 'if your new car won't use 3rd gear.. just don't use 3rd gear'
I paid for a product to work. and I want a product that works
Sadly I have just lost 300 gig of crucial data.. I'm a photographer and all of my photos from the last 6 weeks are gone.. because last night just before I was about to remove everything onto an external drive, this computer put itself in hibernate and would not recover.

Best buy want me to pay $150 to attempt to recover.. some computer stores sound more promising and cheaper for data recovery.

This computer is a nightmare. to anyone else who has issues.. please return to the store.. do not waste your time trying to fix.. and lose all your data.. and important days from your life like me.

ASUS.. THIS IS SHAMEFUL
And I spent weeks trying to figure this out, did and did what was needed to fix it (if you didn't read before this, I even went through the process of replacing not only the laptop but also the hard drive along with performing multiple wipes of Windows). If you're not willing to do an easy fix of simply NOT USING something that is buggy (not JUST on these computers mind you, my husband's old laptop couldn't use Hibernate either and it is a completely different brand), then return it and buy something else. Keep in mind, no computer/software is free from bugs.

3rd gear on a car is nothing like Hibernation where there are two completely acceptable alternatives to be used, sure they work a little differently, but Sleep will save your work just as well as Hibernate and without a history of problems.

Take the computer somewhere other than Best Buy (HORRID service, never ever use them for tech support) and try to get that data back, then start using extra memory cards, external drives, and a cloud storage service (Backblaze (http://backblaze.com/) - unlimited space and no throttling uploads) to make sure something like this can't happen to your photos again. Using a computer where you've lost data recently is also not a good idea as you could be writing over whatever it is you might be trying to get back. I don't know about hibernation data loss, but I do know that is how it works for accidentally deleted things. (I do photography as well and keep it all on an external drive backed up daily to Backblaze and I rest much easier knowing it won't be lost to a dead drive that way.)

Good luck.

mariush
08-18-2012, 03:20 PM
And another one with the same issue -> me. G75vw reboots while doing random stuff with the comp.
Anyone found the reason for this?

Techinstein
08-18-2012, 03:53 PM
If I were you I would use the 1 year ASUS warrenty.

c_man
08-18-2012, 04:36 PM
And another one with the same issue -> me. G75vw reboots while doing random stuff with the comp.
Anyone found the reason for this?

Remove McAfee, Asus live update.

Disable Hibernation.

These seem to be the cause for most problems related to what you say.

Ami Yuy
08-18-2012, 07:29 PM
Remove McAfee, Asus live update.

Disable Hibernation.

These seem to be the cause for most problems related to what you say.
This.

How to Turn Off and Disable Hibernate in Windows 7

Open an elevated Command Prompt with administrator rights by typing Cmd in Start Search, and then hit Ctrl + Shift + Enter keyboard shortcut.

Or, select Run as Administrator from the Cmd in search results.
Type the following command, and hit Enter:

powercfg /hibernate off

http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-enable-or-disable-hibernate-in-windows-7/

Fangrim
09-15-2012, 06:54 PM
Alrighty - OP is back with a vengeance ;o)

Just got the problem back after it had disappeared for a couple months, found my old thread, and people's hibernation posts made sense.

I reinstalled Windows 3 days ago, and suddenly after a long absence, the reboot problem popped up again.

Cause: My power button was now (per Windows default) set for Hibernate, instead of Shut Down. I set powerbutton to Shut Down months ago, but never made the connection to the "solved"/disappearing problem.

I've been investigating a bit, and there is a pattern to the reboots of my machine:

Exactly 10 minutes and 4 seconds after I press the power button to resume from hibernation, the computer reboots.

10:04 on the spot.

The 4 seconds I believe is BIOS time - after 4 secs, Windows kicks in and starts waking up from hibernation.

I haven't found the direct cause yet, but I'm so happy that I can - at last - reproduce the error.

I have searched the registry for the value 600, but no luck there - was hoping for some timeout figure for a service or something.

Time for some serious testing - I'll keep you posted!

gdmitry
09-16-2012, 08:27 PM
Exactly 10 minutes and 4 seconds after I press the power button to resume from hibernation, the computer reboots.
I'm happy that I've found this thread. Yes, my G75 reboots after 10 minutes as described above :(

Fangrim
09-17-2012, 04:25 PM
Additional info now added to original post:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16543-G75VW-Random-Reboot&p=112543&viewfull=1#post112543

zelinski
01-24-2013, 03:03 AM
G75vw - 3 weeks old same problem started happening - lp came back today, said they change the MB but now my keyboard backlit is not working and am pissing mad to have to send it back again.

Moishe
03-21-2013, 02:23 AM
I'm another (unhappy) new G75VW owner. I bought it from Amazon and took possession on January 22, 2013. I had little time in which to explore my new computer until recently. I noticed the machine would seemingly randomly turn off and revert to the black and white screen having "windows error recovery" at the top, and the option to "start windows normally" highlighted that would occur by default if one didn't press the enter key.

I spent the better part of yesterday on the phone w/ ASUS support at 888 678-3688. I was instructed to make a back up of my data, then press f9 when the machine started. This wiped everything off my HD and I had to start from scratch. I loaded new NVIDIA drivers from support.ASUS.com, then loaded the windows updates. I had never attempted anything like this before, was quite intimidated by the process, but the techs Dominic, then Ken, then Sebastian were patient and helped me through the process. It was awful, but I had high hopes that my new computer would be fixed for all my troubles. (Rant: I hate windows computers, and my friends for years have tried to get me to switch to Apple which they claim nothing ever goes wrong as I seem to always have trouble w/ my PCs over the years. "Macs just work," they smugly say.)

Anyhow, I decided not to reload any of my video editing SW w/o first being sure this f9 process fixed my computer. I had very high hopes, but they were dashed when after resuming from hibernation, my newly wiped computer proceeded to misbehave and it turned off uncommanded as previously. If only I was within the 30 day return period for Amazon, I would swiftly gets this POS out of my life. That's when I decided to google my problem and that's how I wound up here. I experimented and noticed that about 10minutes 30 seconds after resuming from hibernation, the machine shut off, then reverted to that "windows Error recovery" screen. I tried it again, and the same thing happened.

This is my first ASUS computer after having two Dells, an Averatec, and an HP. ASUS certainly looked good on paper. Thanks for listening. It helps to vent. No it doesn't fix the computer. So I am out $1300. My next step is to try to get Amazon to take this back. I admire other posters who are attempting to fix this issue, but my computer experience is limited. I turn it on and for $1300 I expect it to work, flawlessly. Is that asking too much?

dstrakele
03-21-2013, 10:00 AM
I wish you had read this thread first: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?23087-***SOLVED***-G75VW-Reboot-after-Hibernation&country=&status=.

Moishe
03-21-2013, 05:11 PM
I wish you had read this thread first: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?23087-***SOLVED***-G75VW-Reboot-after-Hibernation&country=&status=.

I'm not sure it would have helped me because I have limited ability to perform "surgery" on computers, but thanks I looked at that Fangrim SOLVED post.

I called Amazon last night and to my surprise and relief she agreed to take it back and issue a full refund. The G75VW has awesome specs for the price. I'll be hard pressed to find a replacement at that price.

Can you explain why ASUS continues to ship new computers w/ the "defect?"

Thanks!

dstrakele
03-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Can you explain why ASUS continues to ship new computers w/ the "defect?"

I think so...

#1 As you found out from calling ASUS Technical Support, they don't even know the issue exists.

#2 The problem is easily resolved by making a configuration change in the BIOS.

BroPhilip
08-24-2013, 02:31 AM
Has there been any update to this issue? My G46VW is only three weeks old and has just started powering off with no reason and giving a power failure.

cckid
10-18-2013, 10:41 PM
Wow... I'm bummed out. I have this issue also. I sent my unit back under warranty last week for the random shutdown/reboot issue. I know that it is not OS because I had installed an SSD w/Windows 7 and it did the same thing. I wish I had discovered this while I could still take it back to Tigerdirect for an exchange. :( Asus tech on chat today said they reformatted the harddrive and reloaded firmware. I have little confidence that it is fixed but will test vigorously as soon as I get it back. So far I have seen 3 other people on this forum with this issue. Liartar, Fangrim and Switch. Anybody gotten anywhere with this? I bought my unit in May of this year. It did this from day 1 but I scratched it off to Windows 8 or some other app related issue. By the time I realized I had a lemon it was too late to exchange. I will put Asus to the fire on this one if they d0 not resolve the issue. Let me know if has gotten anywhere with this. --CCKid

caruga
11-11-2013, 11:42 PM
I had 3 asus G75 laptops that did this.... first one I purchased online, it shut off within first week, I returned it to Future Shop, got a new one. That one started shutting off after 3-4 weeks, I send it for repairs for 5 times to ASUS!!!!!!!!!!!! They replaced motherboard 2 times, video card 3 times, as well as the cooling system, and the 6th time they gave me refurbished one put together from their parts in stock. So now I have this third ASUS laptop for just over a week, and it too shut off last night!

It is a factory glitch for sure, probably in hardware. 3 laptops, and all 3 keep shutting down! People don't buy G75 and also the Zenbook, I also read that one does have this glitch too.... don't buy ASUS laptops, they are unreliable and come with a factory glitch which ASUS doesn't want to neither admit nor correct.

ZODIAC_MARS
12-30-2013, 06:49 PM
i got my laptop an year ago g75vw have the same problem .i gave it for repairs they replaced my mother board and grafics board twice now, still it goes off randomly.this is soo frustrating for me .those repair guys also have no clue whats happening i guess... if anyone have a solution pls help me out

DON_R
01-19-2014, 01:56 PM
ASUS G75VW Random Reboots.

ASUS G75VW Reboots random during games ( Random 5 min to 1 Hour )
Tested with OCCT, Heaven and furmark. ( No Reboots )

Hardware specs.

Intel i7 3610QM 4x 2,3 Ghz up to 4x 3,3 Ghz ( Turbo Modus )
12 GB DDR3 Memory)
NVidia GTX670M 3 GB ( Clocked ) GPU 700 MHz … Memory 1600 MHz
1e HDD … 256 GB SSD
2e HDD … 1 TB 5400 RPM

Clocked With MSI Afterburner

Possible solution

In most games there is a option for Vsync.
Disable Vsync ( Turn off )
After I turned off the Vsync option I didn’t have any reboots.

Games tested ( after turn off Vsync in game menu )

MW3 No Reboot
Saints Row III No Reboot
Port Royale No Reboot
Command & conquer Generals Reboot…..No option to Disable Vsync in game menu.

bioangel
02-28-2014, 03:15 AM
so after owning my g75 since 2012. For the most part issue free minus the know issues with wifi and audio. i have started getting power cut outs. I have tired everything i can think of from drivers to bios. Even fresh install of win 7. I have even tried to disable vsync too no avil. any help would be great. since im out of warrenty im a little on the un happy side of things.

Mudkrab
06-15-2014, 07:18 AM
I habe this issue, how ever my g75 will reset when playing games, only started about a year after buying it. Here is the really weird part, mine will reset if you push down on the laptop on the flat plastic area bellow the num pad, basically like if you hand was resting there it would reset. I experimented a bit and everytime i pushed there even with 1 finger it will reset

cl-Albert
06-16-2014, 04:47 PM
I habe this issue, how ever my g75 will reset when playing games, only started about a year after buying it. Here is the really weird part, mine will reset if you push down on the laptop on the flat plastic area bellow the num pad, basically like if you hand was resting there it would reset. I experimented a bit and everytime i pushed there even with 1 finger it will reset

Sounds like some kind of hardware-related problem, so if you are still under warranty, consider contacting your local ASUS support to get it taken care of: http://support.asus.com/contactus.aspx?SLanguage=en (http://support.asus.com/contactus.aspx?SLanguage=en)

If you decide to go this route, just make sure to let the repair office know how you see the problem, otherwise, they might test it all day and not find the problem you reported, etc.

Good luck!

bainin
06-18-2014, 04:15 PM
Just received my G75 back from RMA. Here is what Asus did :

My RMA description was similar to others on this thread-random shutdowns that appeared like power being removed from system. Seeming to happen more frequently in graphic intensive operation, but no indication of GPU overheat.

1. Battery error - replace g75 battery sdi fpack
2. Fan error - replace g75vw th vga asy-1
3. System unstable - Replace G75VW VGA-BD./AS (192 bit)
4. Surface Scratch/Broken/Crack - Replace G75VW-1A LCD Hinge Cover ASSY
5. HDD Bad Track - replace SATA M8 1TB 5400R 2.5"
6. Adapter Error - Replace Power Adapter 180W19V(#Pin)

I've only had it back a day, but I ran it continuously for about 3 hours yesterday installing apps without a random reboot.

b

xXEMO_POTATOXx
06-24-2014, 06:02 PM
mine always does that also. I bought mine when they first came out and my solution turn off hibernation mode and let it only sleep or just let it turn the screen off. mine always is plugged up on a cooler anyway so just screen Turing off works.

ReconFirefly
07-16-2014, 07:29 AM
Recieved mine from RMA. Pulgged it in and it powered off within 5 minutes. Starting to lose hope on this one. I've scoured these fourms from Amazon to ROG to Overclock and back, taken this thing to a small shop, geeksquad, ran memtest, tried 3 OSes, watched temps, dusted, and SENT IT IN TO BE REPAIRED. Yet nothing.

Rock solid. Heart touching. This is what they tell me. Turning off every 15 minutes ROCK SOLID stable. My heart, and my wallet are touched alright.

I'd appreciate if Josh or Raja or someone from Customer Support could help me out, heck even get the computer shipped to a depot that can acutually fix the darned thing.

P.S. Good thing this site has drafts. Took me 3 attempts to type this.

cl-Albert
07-19-2014, 02:01 AM
Recieved mine from RMA. Pulgged it in and it powered off within 5 minutes. Starting to lose hope on this one. I've scoured these fourms from Amazon to ROG to Overclock and back, taken this thing to a small shop, geeksquad, ran memtest, tried 3 OSes, watched temps, dusted, and SENT IT IN TO BE REPAIRED. Yet nothing.

Rock solid. Heart touching. This is what they tell me. Turning off every 15 minutes ROCK SOLID stable. My heart, and my wallet are touched alright.

I'd appreciate if Josh or Raja or someone from Customer Support could help me out, heck even get the computer shipped to a depot that can acutually fix the darned thing.

P.S. Good thing this site has drafts. Took me 3 attempts to type this.

ReconFirefly, hope you don't mind, but I was able to search our system with your name and can see you have a new RMA set up, so hoping things will go better this time. Feel free to let us know if there are any problems, and you can also send me a PM at cl-Albert if you prefer.

rvanscherpe
08-30-2014, 11:06 PM
Let me ask everyone here because I've gone to some great lengths to get this resolved and will share my story, but I have a question for all of you first. Does this random power off seem to happen only when you are on wifi?

rvanscherpe
09-07-2014, 02:50 PM
OK, so I got a refurbished unit. It was actually a slight upgrade from the last one. Had a the glossy 3D screen and a 670m Nvidia as opposed to the 660m. However, the same problem, random power off. I've been working on this for months doing everything from re-installing windows Pro 7 on multiple drives with only the essential apps(Firefox, Chrome, Evernote, Office) to running memory tests, turning off services, trying wired vs. wireless, etc. Then I tried something recently that has seemed to make my machine stable. Typically I can get my laptop to power off within 30mins or so. So what I did to make it stable was to uninstall the Nvidia drivers.
It's been stable now for almost 24 hours. I will continue to run through the weekend. If it runs for 48 hours without powering off then there is something inherently wrong with the graphics adapter that is in this refurbished one and the last one. I'm not sure if Asus got a bad run of these from NVidia or what. But by Monday morning if this thing has not powered off, I'm personally taking it back to ASUS HQ to have them look at it again. We'll keep you posted.

baytech3
09-16-2014, 08:00 PM
I resolved the problem of shutting down at 35 minutes by replacing the Motherboard.
and used the same video card, CPU and memory.

docscholz1
11-26-2014, 06:48 PM
I just received my G75VW with this issue back from RMA. Replaced motherboard and DVD unit, NO CHANGE TO THE ISSUE. In fact, it may be worse than before. Since it came back with a fresh windows install, the first thing I did was open up IE to download Chrome. I didn't even make it past the IE opening screen before the thing died. I can make it past windows login, but no further.

I'm certainly fed-up with ASUS on this- its clear to me that my 'book wasn't working quite right from the factory (my issue started 1 mo. after purchase). Now, I paid them $200 to fix the problem, and they clearly cannot actually diagnose it. They refuse to even refund the repair cost, despite shipping me back a brick instead of a functional computer. From chat support, sounds like there's a slight chance that a refurb replacement is available, but from reading this thread, even that doesn't sound like its going to get me anywhere.

Personally, I'm torn between throwing the unit off a cliff, smashing it with a hammer, or dousing it in gasoline.

Bubba
12-16-2014, 07:22 AM
I have this exact problem on my G55vw. It has been replaced twice already and still is shutting down. The fella I was dealing with in Asus support says there is nothing wrong as it has to past all their tests. He will not even return my emails now. It's obviouse there is something wrong or it would not shut down!!! Asus suport is a joke!

cl-Albert
12-16-2014, 05:10 PM
I just received my G75VW with this issue back from RMA. Replaced motherboard and DVD unit, NO CHANGE TO THE ISSUE. In fact, it may be worse than before. Since it came back with a fresh windows install, the first thing I did was open up IE to download Chrome. I didn't even make it past the IE opening screen before the thing died. I can make it past windows login, but no further.

I'm certainly fed-up with ASUS on this- its clear to me that my 'book wasn't working quite right from the factory (my issue started 1 mo. after purchase). Now, I paid them $200 to fix the problem, and they clearly cannot actually diagnose it. They refuse to even refund the repair cost, despite shipping me back a brick instead of a functional computer. From chat support, sounds like there's a slight chance that a refurb replacement is available, but from reading this thread, even that doesn't sound like its going to get me anywhere.

Personally, I'm torn between throwing the unit off a cliff, smashing it with a hammer, or dousing it in gasoline.

I have this exact problem on my G55vw. It has been replaced twice already and still is shutting down. The fella I was dealing with in Asus support says there is nothing wrong as it has to past all their tests. He will not even return my emails now. It's obviouse there is something wrong or it would not shut down!!! Asus suport is a joke!

Sorry for the delay.
If you think it's worth your time, suggest continuing to work with support (with different people or a manager if necessary), but make sure they understand how to catch the problem, or how intermittent it is.
If you can provide a video for intermittent issues, it may help as well, but if support understands there is still a hardware problem with your unit would expect and hope they could at least arrange another rma to keep working on it.

Unfortunately, I may not be able to help much from the RMA side these days, but if you just want to troubleshoot or discuss, feel free to do this, or send me a message at cl-Albert if you prefer.

Finally, if you have a previous RMA, try checking with cl-jolene@asus.com mentioned at the thread below as well if you want to work with someone else on an RMA, but Jolene is not too technical, so try to provide clear and concise information about the problem as well as your warranty and most recent RMA information.
If it's an intermittent problem that repair cannot catch, it usually makes it more difficult to resolve, so any help you can provide repair to catch the problem would be great.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?36696-ASUS-Worldwide-RMA-Guide

Jay4ASUS
12-24-2014, 01:48 AM
My G75VW started randomly rebooting early December 2014. Mostly reboots while in World of Warcraft but has rebooted at least twice with Google Chrome up. No obvious heat issues. May have started just after Microsoft's December patch Tuesday. I am running Win 7 64 bit home premium on this box. Has anyone else encountered this problem recently?

dmdcompass
04-16-2015, 04:37 PM
My G75VW started rebooting randomly several months ago. I have looked at error logs, updated drivers, at one point I replaced a hard drive, reinstalled the operating system from scratch, completely cleaned out the computer itself, turned off hibernation and probably assorted other items.

I have submitted a ticket to ASUS support. They told me to look for viruses and be sure that my virus scan software was up to date. Based upon this thread it should have been clear to them that this could be the issue. All I want from them is to tell me what the heck they have found with all of these other instances. There must be a common thread. My computer is out of warranty. I don't expect ASUS to pay for the fix. I just want them to tell me what they have found with all of these other instances. Instead, I get a canned response.

It is now virtually unusable. Often it will fail and reboot right after logging in. Sometimes it will do so three times in succession. If anybody has found a resolution for this I look forward to your response. I spent good money on this a little over 2 years ago. I expected the lifespan of this to be longer than a cheap low level notebook you can find at a discount store.

KamSinz
04-17-2016, 01:35 AM
oki I have the resent model of ASUS gaming laptop ( ASUS gaming notebook G752 ) in February. Its constantly rebooting and would like to know if anyone knows how to fix this issue with this model...

catfood
04-18-2016, 01:11 PM
oki I have the resent model of ASUS gaming laptop ( ASUS gaming notebook G752 ) in February. Its constantly rebooting and would like to know if anyone knows how to fix this issue with this model...

I have the same issue with my Asus ROG G751JT Laptop.. this bug drives me nuts. It looks like the reboots are random and not at a specific time.
Most of the times it happends when the laptop is idle.. anyone has any idea what this could be?

Ami Yuy
04-18-2016, 07:33 PM

I have the same issue with my Asus ROG G751JT Laptop.. this bug drives me nuts. It looks like the reboots are random and not at a specific time.
Most of the times it happends when the laptop is idle.. anyone has any idea what this could be?

Did either of you read the SOLVED thread linked in the first post? Did you try any of the solutions (other than RMAing) offered in these threads?

This was an issue specific to the G75VW laptop four years ago. The model numbers are very important to solving these types of problems usually.

My G75VW is probably barely related to your much newer laptops other than in style that it is built. I doubt they share any of the same hardware or software.

Please start new threads to get help tailored to your specific models and situations.
-------------

Related to this thread title however (if not the original specific issue).

My G75VW now has Windows 10 Pro on it and after the recent cumulative update (KB3147458) was rendered completely useless (Details (https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/4egyrg/windows_10_april_updates_kb3147458_and_kb3147461/d21ld7a)). I Reset (reinstalled the operating system) to fix it.

However after that the laptop was then having issues with restarting 10 minutes after it started up from a Shut Down. Details here (https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/4f3xo6/laptop_restarts_every_10_minutes_after_a_full/).

Solution: Updating the BIOS to the most recent available version (http://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G75VW/HelpDesk_Download/).