PDA

View Full Version : Step-by-Step: Using ASUS Recovery DVDs to Restore G75

Cecil_2099
06-03-2012, 07:59 AM
Since there seems to be a lot of confusion and mis-understanding on how to use the ASUS Recovery DVDs you burn by using the AI Recovery program to restore your computer to the "straight from the factory" state, I thought I should make a step-by-step guide to walk owners through it. So here goes:

The version of the AI Recovery Utility currently shipping on all G75s does not recover systems with 1TB hard drives. So before you go around wiping your drive or creating the Recovery DVDs, update the AI Recovery Utility to at least 1.0.24 (download it from the product support page where you can download the drivers).
If you haven't already, use the AI Recovery Utility (version 1.0.24 or newer, not the 1.0.23 version that comes shipped with the G75) to burn your ASUS Recovery DVDs. You should do this prior to uninstalling any and all "bloatware" and prior to reformatting/wiping/re-partitioning your hard drive. On a G75VW-BBK5 you will end up with three (3) DVDs.
A few notes/assumptions prior to starting:
- Your computer is off and no DVDs are in the optical drive.
- You have only one drive connected to the G75 on the right-hand drive bay (based on the drive caddy letter) and that is the drive you want to restore TO.
- It doesn't matter if the drive is an HDD or SSD and the size does not matter.
Start up your computer and immediately start hitting the 'Esc' key until you see the following screen appear:
Place the first ASUS Recovery DVD into your optical drive.
Select your optical drive (on my G75VW-BBK5 that is the HL-DT-ST drive) and hit 'Enter' key.
You will get a black screen with the words "Windows is loading files..." at the bottom with a grey bar at the bottom that will fill white:
Windows will load and you will get a dialogue box titled "AI RECOVERY" saying "Are you ready to restore this image?" Click the 'OK' button.
You will get another "AI RECOVERY" dialogue box, this time telling you "Restoring will overwrite your hard drive. Do you want to continue?" Click the 'OK' button.
If you are using the ASUS Recovery DVDs to restore onto a new hard drive, you may get another "AI RECOVERY" dialogue box saying "Your disk layout has been changed. AI Recovery needs to partition your disk again. You will lost all your data in your disk if you continue with the data recovery operation." Click the 'OK' button.
Otherwise you will see an "AI Recovery Restore" dialogue box that says "This DVD/BD will help you recover hidden partition. Check the AC adapter connection and do not interrupt the restoration process." This will have a progress indicator.
The computer will automatically eject the first DVD and prompt you to insert the second DVD and later the third DVD.
When that is complete, the last DVD will eject and an "AI RECOVERY" dialogue box will tell you that it "Successfully restored the disk from the ASUS Recovery DVD/BD. Elapsed time: 00:XX:XX". Click 'OK'. (It took me 00:43:23 (43 minutes) to restore the recovery partition.)
The computer will restart and you'll get another black "Windows is loading files..." screen.
Windows will start and you will get a DOS screen followed by an "ASUS Preload Wizard" dialogue that asks you to select your language to continue. Pick your language and click the 'Next >' button.
Click through the next screen.
On the next screen you can choose whichever option you feel is best.
Click 'Finish' to start the process.
This is where you leave the computer alone. You will see a series of DOS screens and the computer will restart itself at least 6 times. Whatever you do, do not interact with the computer. It doesn't matter if it prompts you for something or restarts on its own. Leave it alone to finish everything.
When you see the following screen, you know the recovery process has completed successfully.
Congratulations, your G75 is now back to it's factory-like condition.
So in total it took about 1.5 hours to complete (43 minutes to recreate the recovery partition from the DVDs and another 50 minutes to restore back to factory state).

I hope this helps clear up the process!

Update: After serious testing across multiple G75VW users, we can confirm that the ASUS Recovery DVDs do NOT work on 1TB drives (regardless of manufacturer) if they are burned with the base AI Recovery Utility version that ships with the G75VWs. Make sure you install the latest version (1.0.24) BEFORE creating your Recovery DVDs.

john_from_ohio
06-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Excellent contribution!! Thanks Cecil!

Holy
06-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Very nice =)

Daylife
06-04-2012, 12:34 AM
Thats awesome, thanks!

waynes26
06-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Thank you, I did the DVD build on the old version. If i had not read your note on the bottom, that it wold not recover to a 1TB drive i would have had a huge problem. Once again thanks "Cecil_2099" great job:):):)

Ayman
06-13-2012, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the info.

Arvinaaaaa
06-13-2012, 10:55 AM
thanks bro, i will do the ai recovery tomorrow, but what will happen to my recovery partition in the g55, will it be automatically deleted? or do i need to delete it by formatting the g55 again? or can i just leave it so i have two sources to restore from(recovery dvds and partition)please advice, thanks :)

dstrakele
06-13-2012, 12:30 PM
The ASUS Recovery partition is hidden, so it is NEVER DELETED by any Recovery choice. If you have the proper Recovery DVD's , you can always recreate it, but an F9 Recovery is about twice as fast as running the DVD's, since they must recreate the hidden partition first.

The choice to keep both the ASUS hidden Recovery partition and the Recovery DVD's is yours.

No matter what you choose, consider creating a Windows System Image with Windows Backup and Restore. You can create this Image at any point in time, rather than just the out-of-the-box state of an ASUS Factory Recovery. It'll save you from having to reinstall any applications, driver upgrades, and Windows Updates you've added.

Arvinaaaaa
06-13-2012, 01:13 PM
The ASUS Recovery partition is hidden, so it is NEVER DELETED by any Recovery choice. If you have the proper Recovery DVD's , you can always recreate it, but an F9 Recovery is about twice as fast as running the DVD's, since they must recreate the hidden partition first.

The choice to keep both the ASUS hidden Recovery partition and the Recovery DVD's is yours.

No matter what you choose, consider creating a Windows System Image with Windows Backup and Restore. You can create this Image at any point in time, rather than just the out-of-the-box state of an ASUS Factory Recovery. It'll save you from having to reinstall any applications, driver upgrades, and Windows Updates you've added.
so does this mean the ai recovery dvds reinstall the windows to its factory state? all my personal files, games and anything i done to the g55 on my own will be gone?

and what do you mean by "since they must recreate the hidden partition first." i thought you said the recovery partition cannot be deleted? or will the recovery dvds format the whole hard drive, then recreate the hidden partition again?

sorry for so many questions..please reply bro, thanks for kind help :)

Cecil_2099
06-13-2012, 01:48 PM
thanks bro, i will do the ai recovery tomorrow, but what will happen to my recovery partition in the g55, will it be automatically deleted? or do i need to delete it by formatting the g55 again? or can i just leave it so i have two sources to restore from(recovery dvds and partition)please advice, thanks :)

AI Recovery creates the Recovery DVDs from the Recovery Partition, so when you create your Recovery DVDs the Recovery Partition stays. It does not get deleted unless you use a partition management software and manually delete the partition. So yes, you can leave it and have two sources to restore from.

so does this mean the ai recovery dvds reinstall the windows to its factory state? all my personal files, games and anything i done to the g55 on my own will be gone?

Yes, the AI Recovery DVDs as well as the Recovery Partition will only reinstall windows and drivers and factory-installed programs so it's back to the state it was when you first unboxed the computer. All your personal files, games, programs that you installed after you first turned it on will be gone.

and what do you mean by "since they must recreate the hidden partition first." i thought you said the recovery partition cannot be deleted? or will the recovery dvds format the whole hard drive, then recreate the hidden partition again?

Here's the way the Recovery DVD's work: The DVDs format the entire hard drive, recreate the hidden partition, then restarts and begins the factory restore process from the hidden partition. This is why an F9 restore from the hidden partition is faster since it skips the format and recreation of the hidden partition.

sorry for so many questions..please reply bro, thanks for kind help :)

Don't worry about it. That's what we're here for.

Arvinaaaaa
06-13-2012, 02:06 PM
AI Recovery creates the Recovery DVDs from the Recovery Partition, so when you create your Recovery DVDs the Recovery Partition stays. It does not get deleted unless you use a partition management software and manually delete the partition. So yes, you can leave it and have two sources to restore from.

Yes, the AI Recovery DVDs as well as the Recovery Partition will only reinstall windows and drivers and factory-installed programs so it's back to the state it was when you first unboxed the computer. All your personal files, games, programs that you installed after you first turned it on will be gone.

Here's the way the Recovery DVD's work: The DVDs format the entire hard drive, recreate the hidden partition, then restarts and begins the factory restore process from the hidden partition. This is why an F9 restore from the hidden partition is faster since it skips the format and recreation of the hidden partition.

Don't worry about it. That's what we're here for.
:) :) :) thanks for answering all the questions bro, now i understand completely the recovery process...looks like making the recovery dvds using ai recovery is quite important,i will do the dvd creation process tomorrow...thank you again for your kind help bro... :)

KuUuUn
06-13-2012, 04:18 PM
When I do the recovery from recovery partition, on one of reboots, the fan suddenly runs full speed, even louder than when I use furmark to test GPU. Is it normal? Does recovery process uses CUP a lot?

Cecil_2099
06-13-2012, 07:33 PM
Yes, that's normal as long as it goes back to being almost silent once it's all done with the recovery. If it stays at full speed, then something's wrong with your hardware.

KuUuUn
06-14-2012, 08:07 AM
Yes, that's normal as long as it goes back to being almost silent once it's all done with the recovery. If it stays at full speed, then something's wrong with your hardware.

Thanks for the information! It's normal now.

Hydroxide
06-14-2012, 03:45 PM
Does this work on X42J brand? I really need a emergency restore on my computer due to my computer getting slow. For my computer my C drive has 116GB of space & my D drive has 329GB of space. My C drive is running low whenever i want to download something it says my disk space is full please format it. My C drive is a primary hard drive, Can i make my D drive as primary hard drive during the restore? Because my D drive has a large amount of space and my C drive has small amount of total space. So can i make my D drive format as window 7 HP as for my C drive is a sub. I need this reply by end of next week. :(

Here's my hard drive. i hate this!!! i wan D drive to be the primary!! It really get annoyed whenever i see my bar is RED T-T Please help me.http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg841/scaled.php?server=841&filename=herei.png&res=landing

Cecil_2099
06-14-2012, 05:08 PM
Does your X42J come with a single physical hard drive or two? If it comes with one, then OS and DATA are partitions on the same hard drive and you might be able to extend the size of the OS partition from within Windows to solve your space problem. If it's two, you should be able to use your system's recovery discs to restore to the larger drive. Just make sure you back up all your data before using the system recovery discs as it'll wipe out EVERYTHING.

Hydroxide
06-15-2012, 01:57 AM
My hard drive are not single. Both are seperated, with this restore will they ask you which hard drive do you want to recover? If my D drive has been format, will my C drive be formatted too? Or my C drive will became secondary drive?

john_from_ohio
06-15-2012, 02:11 AM
My hard drive are not single. Both are seperated, with this restore will they ask you which hard drive do you want to recover? If my D drive has been format, will my C drive be formatted too? Or my C drive will became secondary drive?

Ummm ... looks likely that there is just one hard drive in your laptop with 2 visible partitions.

Double check by going into disk management tool or device manager ...

If ( as appears likely ) that you just have 1 hard drive should be able to proceed by resizing partitions. Get a backup first ... have a computer shop maybe do the resizing if this change is too complicated for you.

If you do a DVD restore then you lose everything that you have done since it was shipped from the factory.

Hydroxide
06-15-2012, 02:23 AM
Ummm ... looks likely that there is just one hard drive in your laptop with 2 visible partitions.

Double check by going into disk management tool or device manager ...

If ( as appears likely ) that you just have 1 hard drive should be able to proceed by resizing partitions. Get a backup first ... have a computer shop maybe do the resizing if this change is too complicated for you.

If you do a DVD restore then you lose everything that you have done since it was shipped from the factory.

I have check my disk drive there's only one, but i don't want to resize the partitions, i want to restore is because my computer iss running slow. i'v downloaded too many junky that i don't know. Can i just do a restore on my D drives? But the problem is when restore will they ask which drive to restore?

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg515/scaled.php?server=515&filename=herei.png&res=landing

This is what i have in my disk management a primary partition & a Logical drive. I want to format my locial drive, will it able to work?

Cecil_2099
06-15-2012, 04:39 AM
Because you have only one physical disk drive with two partitions, the factory restore DVD will erase everything on both partitions. The DVDs will format both the primary partition and the logical drive. You will not get an option to choose which one to keep and which one to erase.

Hydroxide
06-15-2012, 05:08 AM
Because you have only one physical disk drive with two partitions, the factory restore DVD will erase everything on both partitions. The DVDs will format both the primary partition and the logical drive. You will not get an option to choose which one to keep and which one to erase.

Then how can i choose my D drive as the OS and run by the system?! Something like D drive has the program file/program filex86/ windows folder all that & my C drive doesn't want.

Edit: When both C drive & D drive are formatted, will the D drive became primary partition? or still remain the same like logical partition.

Cecil_2099
06-15-2012, 06:05 AM
I should have been clearer in my previous post. Both partitions on the hard drive get removed during the restore process (that is what I meant when I said the DVDs will format both the primary partition and logical drive) so you won't get to choose which partition to restore to because they won't exist anymore.

Depending on which option you choose during the recovery process, the recovery process will then create a new partition for the OS. Depending on the option you may end up with only a C: drive partition, or you may end up with a C: OS partition and a D: Data partition. If you end up with the latter, you can resize the C: OS partition to be larger from inside Windows Disk Management.

Hydroxide
06-15-2012, 09:14 AM
Okay thanks. Can i ask? What's the latest version of AI recovery? because whenever i insert a clean DVD, after awhile it rejected from burning. Can i know why i cant burn? what's the minimum size of dvd requirement? My Dvd is maxell DVD+R 4.7GB data. Does this DVD works? or this not working?? sorry for the ask. i'm noobie

Cecil_2099
06-15-2012, 01:40 PM
The latest version of AI Recovery (at least for the G75) is 1.0.24.

When you say "whenever i insert a clean DVD, after awhile it rejected from burning." Do you mean it burns then ejects and ask you for another blank DVD? If so, then this is normal. Please understand that you will need more than one DVD. The program will tell you how many DVDs you need. For my G75 I needed three DVDs and for the G55 I hear it needs five DVDs.

The size and type of DVD media should not matter and it should work with the DVDs you have listed.

Hydroxide
06-15-2012, 01:52 PM
The latest version of AI Recovery (at least for the G75) is 1.0.24.

When you say "whenever i insert a clean DVD, after awhile it rejected from burning." Do you mean it burns then ejects and ask you for another blank DVD? If so, then this is normal. Please understand that you will need more than one DVD. The program will tell you how many DVDs you need. For my G75 I needed three DVDs and for the G55 I hear it needs five DVDs.

The size and type of DVD media should not matter and it should work with the DVDs you have listed.

I have error after that. they say please insert DVD-1. then not more then 4% it come out the error again. Some Asus require more then 4 DVD.

Cecil_2099
06-15-2012, 02:02 PM
The AI Recovery tool stores a temporary image of all the DVDs on your C: drive before burning. From the image you posted previously, you only have 10 GB of free space on the C: drive. If your AI Recovery tool says you need more than 4 DVDs then that's at least 13 GB of data right there. Try uninstalling programs and moving data to the D: drive in the mean time so you can free up at least 25 GB of free space and see if that helps.

Hydroxide
06-15-2012, 03:52 PM
The AI Recovery tool stores a temporary image of all the DVDs on your C: drive before burning. From the image you posted previously, you only have 10 GB of free space on the C: drive. If your AI Recovery tool says you need more than 4 DVDs then that's at least 13 GB of data right there. Try uninstalling programs and moving data to the D: drive in the mean time so you can free up at least 25 GB of free space and see if that helps.

9294 9295 This is what the errors says.. the ai recovery tool stores temp image to D drive. I don't want to waste my DVD anymore. please help.

Cecil_2099
06-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Does your AI Recovery program give you the option to create DVD ISOs? If so, then you can creat the ISOs first and use a standalone DVD burning software or standalone ISO burning software (like ImgBurn) to burn the ISOs to disc.

Source:
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=3&model=G51Jx&id=20100315034350078&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Hydroxide
06-15-2012, 04:19 PM
No, they do not give me any options. could you teach me how to use the imgburn? sorry i'm quite noobies. it's quite complicated for this program.

Cecil_2099
06-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Read the forum thread that I linked to in my previous post. The last post in that thread explains how a user found the work-around. Specifically:

"Solved:
I downloaded and installed imgburn. I restarted the AI Recovery Utility from the ASUS program group and initiated the process to create recovery DVDs. When prompted to insert the first blank DVD, I copied the 3 iso images to another folder. I used imgburn to burn the 3 recovery DVDs without error."

So go to http://www.imgburn.com/ to download ImgBurn.

Click on the "Guides" link and read the directions and look through their forums.

This link is a good step-by-step on how to use it to burn an image: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=61

It's pretty straightforward really not that hard to use. You can also search Google on how to use it.

Hydroxide
06-16-2012, 04:06 AM
So I just need the Iso file to be in the cd? Because when I see the recovery temp folder it has CD1 folder & a CD1 iso. Does the folder need to be in the disc too?

Cecil_2099
06-16-2012, 04:13 AM
Only the .ISO file needs to be written to the disc. Go to that ImgBurn forum topic I linked to previously. At step 4 you browse to the folder and select the .ISO file.

Hydroxide
06-16-2012, 04:21 AM
If i have CD1,CD2,CD3,CD4,CD5 iso file, all must be burn into the disc? Sorry, need to confirmed before starting to recover my computer safety. because some computer need to have more then 4 disc.

Cecil_2099
06-16-2012, 05:15 AM
You burn one ISO per disc. So you will use ImgBurn five times.

Hydroxide
06-16-2012, 07:10 AM
9311 This is even worse, when it reached 3% it give me this kind of error.

Cecil_2099
06-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Could be a few things then:
1) Your system came with a program to burn CDs and DVDs right? If so, I want you to try to burn a data DVD using whatever software came with the computer. By data DVD, I want you to burn 4 gigs worth of whatever's on your computer on to a DVD. Tell me if it's successful. If it fails, then either your media is bad or your burner is bad.

2) Try buying some new DVDs to burn onto.

3) Try burning at the slowest write speed possible.

If none of these help, then you've got me stumped and you should post your issue on the ImgBurn forums and take the discussion there. I'm sure their community is better able to help you figure out their software since that is really outside my expertise and outside the topic range for this thread.

You can also do any of the following:

1) Copy the ISOs from that temp folder to an external hard drive and bring it to a friend or another computer with a DVD burner and try burn the ISOs to disc from there.

2) Take it to a computer repair center and have them figure it out.

Hydroxide
06-16-2012, 12:25 PM
I just solved the problem, i use imation DVD+R to burn CD1,CD2. when it reached CD3, It has a error on that, DVD-3 needs to be burned again, In less then 5min the error pop-up again. i keep trying and it keeps giving me this error about more then 20 times without getting a % on burning. So, i just did try using maxell DVD+R & a DVD-R. It's reached 4% and it give me the error. It's take more then 10min to retry. i was so frustrated and i start using back imation DVD+R. I can't believe that the burning works again. same goes to DVD-4 & DVD-5. I did try a different brand of DVDs the goods one cant burn it.

I have some question to ask you before i start reformating on monday, During the recovery mode, will there be some errors poping out? Is this methods of recovery same as 90% of the asus computer? Will there be any glitch/bug after the recovery mode? i hope you do answer my question.

john_from_ohio
06-16-2012, 12:58 PM
I have some question to ask you before i start reformating on monday, During the recovery mode, will there be some errors poping out? Is this methods of recovery same as 90% of the asus computer? Will there be any glitch/bug after the recovery mode? i hope you do answer my question.

Cecils guide has step by step and pics of what it looks like on each step. Those pics were taken from a new G75VW ... not your machine.

The process should be somewhat the same on your machine and look mostly the same. Read thru the beginning of this topic a couple of times before you even try to start.

Hydroxide
06-18-2012, 08:31 AM
Thank you i have successfully recovered my comp and D drive has merge to C drive. Thanks for all your help thank you.

Cecil_2099
06-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Hooray! Great to hear the good news. Glad it all worked out! So it was the DVD media then that was causing the problems?

giulio76
06-29-2012, 10:57 PM
Hi All:

I just had the unpleasant experience of doing a factory restore to my G75VW with the 1Tb hdd to find that I cannot boot into Windows :P I did that AI recovery upon buying it but did not make the update so Im screwed!

Have no place to source a drive from, do you know if it is possible to download the ISOs from somewhere? (using the latest version of the AI).

Best to all!

G76

srx
06-29-2012, 11:50 PM
Hey,

I'm In a bit of problems here, can someone tell me if I can format my G55 and install all the drivers from the asus website should be enough to run the laptop without problems?

Thing is I can't make the restoration of my laptop. Why?

I just traveled to New York and bought it, so when I connected the first day on the Hotel wifi my computer was infected with lots of virus , lol.

Another Problem, the hotel maid throw my Manual and the DVD of asus with the drivers away in the garbage...

Can I just download everything on asus website, put it on a dvd, format the computer then install it one by one?

I mean I don't need the bloatware or anything. Just the drivers running smooth.

Regards,

john_from_ohio
06-29-2012, 11:51 PM
Hi All:

I just had the unpleasant experience of doing a factory restore to my G75VW with the 1Tb hdd to find that I cannot boot into Windows :P I did that AI recovery upon buying it but did not make the update so Im screwed!

Easiest quick solution is to do a factory restore to an drive smaller than 1 TB first ... uninstall live update ... update asus recovery utility to latest version ... burn a set of recovery DVDs using latest recovery utility ... then recover your 1 TB drive using that set.

john_from_ohio
06-30-2012, 12:00 AM
Hey,

I'm In a bit of problems here, can someone tell me if I can format my G55 and install all the drivers from the asus website should be enough to run the laptop without problems?

Boot it up and while booting hold F9 down ... use recovery partition to do a restore ... follow my first steps guide ... protect yourself immediately with a commercial grade antivirus and firewall.

srx
06-30-2012, 12:05 AM
Boot it up and while booting hold F9 down ... use recovery partition to do a restore ... follow my first steps guide ... protect yourself immediately with a commercial grade antivirus and firewall.

thanks for the reply, so there's already a partition with the default things installed right? so If I do that I'll be formating the hd and leaving like factory state?

It's possible to format everything then install the drivers by myself? I shouldnt have problems doing this right?

john_from_ohio
06-30-2012, 12:09 AM
thanks for the reply, so there's already a partition with the default things installed right? so If I do that I'll be formating the hd and leaving like factory state?

It's possible to format everything then install the drivers by myself? I shouldnt have problems doing this right?

Yup factory provides a restore partition that "should be" still useable.

Yes also possible to do a fresh install will work ONLY with a win 7 install disk that already has SP1 on it ... original Win 7 install disks won't recognize/deal with UEFI stuff. You can find microsoft provided isos of Win 7 install disks that have SP1 already included and burn an install disk.

srx
06-30-2012, 12:13 AM
Yup factory provides a restore partition that "should be" still useable.

Yes also possible to do a fresh install will work ONLY with a win 7 install disk that already has SP1 on it ... original Win 7 install disks won't recognize/deal with UEFI stuff. You can find microsoft provided isos of Win 7 install disks that have SP1 already included and burn an install disk.

Wow thats awesome, sorry my first notebook. So if the recovery partition its always there I could Try to download the drivers and do a clean install.

Win7 with SP1 shouldn't be hard to find out too.

There's any place with a ISO file of the DVD that came up with G55? would be great :(

john_from_ohio
06-30-2012, 12:50 AM
There's any place with a ISO file of the DVD that came up with G55? would be great :(

I don't think there was a DVD with it ... no DVD with G75VW ...

Best quick bet is trying to use F9 and recover completely your system ... if doing fresh install then you can find drivers on asus support site for your model.

Cecil_2099
06-30-2012, 01:28 AM
Hi All:

Have no place to source a drive from, do you know if it is possible to download the ISOs from somewhere? (using the latest version of the AI).

Best to all!

G76

Unfortunately I haven't seen any ISOs of the ASUS Recovery DVDs that you burn yourself and I'm of the understanding that the recovery DVDs are keyed to your system as the restore process automates the entry of the Windows 7 product key.

As John stated in his reply (and as I and John together confirmed), your best bet is using the DVDs you already burned on a smaller HDD (read: less than 1TB; borrow one from a friend if you can or just buy a SSD that you can use for a boot drive after you get this all straightened out). This will rebuild the restore partition on that drive as well as get the system to a "from the factory" state. Once that's done, uninstall ASUS live update, update to the newest version of AI Recovery Utility (as of 6/28/2012 the latest version is 1.0.27) and make a new set of Recovery DVDs.

Abbysion
07-09-2012, 10:44 PM
One question,
is it possible to do a system restore on a new drive without re-creating the recovery partition?
For what I've read through this thread, this doesn't seem to be the case.
I really prefer to use the same Windows installation, I don't want to do a fresh install if it's not necessary, but at the same time I don't want a 25GB partition on my brand new Vertex 4 if it already exists on the stock HDD I will be using to store data.
Is there a workaround for this?
A system image perhaps?

dstrakele
07-09-2012, 11:32 PM
If you perform an ASUS Factory Recovery to a new SSD or HDD using the DVD's created from Ai Recovery (or by burning the .ISO files created by Ai Recovery to DVD), the result is always like it came right out of the box. The following are always installed to the new drive:

1) the hidden 25 GB ASUS Factory Recovery Partition,

2) ALL of the ASUS Bloatware apps, and

3) the same version device drivers that shipped with your laptop.

If you:

- don't want the hidden Recovery Partition,

- or the ASUS Bloatware apps taking up space on your new drive,

- and wish to have current device drivers,

- OR you forgot to make Recovery DVD's before your system blew up,

- OR you accidentally deleted the ASUS hidden Recovery Partition before you made DVD's,

- OR your dog buried your Recovery DVD's somewhere in the backyard (Hey, it could happen!),

- OR your Recovery DVD's just don't work,

consider performing a clean Windows 7 installation such as detailed in http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds.

Once you've completed your clean Windows 7 installation, installed current Windows Updates and drivers, and activated Windows with the Product Key on the label on the bottom of your laptop, use Windows Backup and Restore to backup a Windows System Image.

You can then Restore this clean Windows System Image instead of performing an ASUS Factory Restore. By scheduling regular weekly backups, you'll always have the option to restore your system to the most recent stable state, rather than having to install Windows 7 from scratch.

Now tell me, won't that make your life easier?

Abbysion
07-10-2012, 11:13 PM
I'll go the clean install route.
Thanks for the clear and quick answer.

;)

CoderGirl
07-11-2012, 12:15 AM
Thanks for taking the time to make this. Particularly for this:

The version of the AI Recovery Utility currently shipping on all G75s does not recover systems with 1TB hard drives. So before you go around wiping your drive or creating the Recovery DVDs, update the AI Recovery Utility to at least 1.0.24 (download it from the product support page where you can download the drivers).

john_from_ohio
07-11-2012, 12:23 AM

Thanks for reading thru the posting ... Cecil and I spent a bunch of time in this area ... both of us were quite surprised to find Asus had shipped out something that was not tested adequately. It was addressed ultimately but SHOULD HAVE been caught much earlier!

Cecil_2099
07-11-2012, 04:20 AM

You're very welcome. Glad you read through it and found it helpful. Echo what John said.

doomed
07-24-2012, 05:41 AM
Just one question about using the AI Recovery software to generate the recovery discs (either to dvd or iso files):

Am I right in assuming it's always going to be factory default discs, regardless of me uninstalling Asus bloatware and installing my own programs and games ?

The only reason i'm asking this is that for some reason, i got the impression that AI Recovery would generate "backup discs" which would include my current state of the computer and not true "factory default discs"...

So if anyone could help clarify this for me, i would appreciate it.

Rius
08-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Great and very useful guide man! Just two important questions about:

1. Are you 100% sure that the AI Recovery process from the DVDs will create a new GUID partition table (GPT), with the Hidden Recovery partition fully bootable with "F9" anyway? (step 9-10)

2. Did you try to do the recovery afeter deleting (via gparded, etc...) the 25G hidden Recovery partition? After the DVDs recovery process, It was again there, bootable with "F9" on startup?

I'm too worried about it because I need to create a new partition table (MBR) for a Windows7/Linux dual boot, and I'm fearing future guarantee troubles with ASUS if the "F9" Recovery process were lost.

Thank you very much in advance! :)

john_from_ohio
08-05-2012, 10:44 PM

1. Are you 100% sure that the AI Recovery process from the DVDs will create a new GUID partition table (GPT), with the Hidden Recovery partition fully bootable with "F9" anyway? (step 9-10)

2. Did you try to do the recovery afeter deleting (via gparded, etc...) the 25G hidden Recovery partition? After the DVDs recovery process, It was again there, bootable with "F9" on startup?

Yup both were tested ... feel free to test yourself! Need to make sure you get latest Asus recovery utility available before doing anything!

MaXimus711
08-05-2012, 11:25 PM
The first thing I do when I buy a laptop is to wipe off the recovery partition and the pre loaded Windows! LOL! Who wants that back!

john_from_ohio
08-05-2012, 11:53 PM
The first thing I do when I buy a laptop is to wipe off the recovery partition and the pre loaded Windows! LOL! Who wants that back!

Lots of people ... why does it bother you?

Cecil_2099
08-06-2012, 05:19 AM
Just one question about using the AI Recovery software to generate the recovery discs (either to dvd or iso files):

Am I right in assuming it's always going to be factory default discs, regardless of me uninstalling Asus bloatware and installing my own programs and games ?

The only reason i'm asking this is that for some reason, i got the impression that AI Recovery would generate "backup discs" which would include my current state of the computer and not true "factory default discs"...

So if anyone could help clarify this for me, i would appreciate it.

You are correct. Whatever you do to your system (except for deleting the Recovery Partition) will not be reflected in the AI Recovery DVDs you burn using the AI Recovery tool.
If you deleted the recovery partition and did NOT create the discs, then you won't be able to create factory default discs and your only recourse is to either buy recovery DVDs from ASUS directly or create backup discs through Windows or another third-party tool.

Cecil_2099
08-06-2012, 05:21 AM

I'm too worried about it because I need to create a new partition table (MBR) for a Windows7/Linux dual boot, and I'm fearing future guarantee troubles with ASUS if the "F9" Recovery process were lost.

Thank you very much in advance! :)

1. Yes, 100% sure.

2. Yep. If you delete the recovery partition you won't be able to use the F9 functionality. However if you restore from the Recovery DVDs you burn (boot from the Recovery DVDs), then it will restore the recovery partition and the F9 functionality.

Bottom line: between John and I, we tested this process up and down, left and right, forwards and backwards, on stock drives, other drives of different manufacturers and sizes and speeds, and SSDs. The recovery process works as long as you use the newest AI Recover Tool.

Rius
08-06-2012, 10:53 AM
Yup both were tested ... feel free to test yourself! Need to make sure you get latest Asus recovery utility available before doing anything!

Thank you very much John! I feel free to test, and I feel free to run out from my sister-in-law if something fails :D

Version 1.0.28 just released and installed. This version seems to do an initial "check&fix" for the hidden partittion. Let's try ;)

Rius
08-06-2012, 11:01 AM

Me and the little angry man at the ASUS Tech Service, who's dealing with a laptop without the original system onboard ;)

Rius
08-06-2012, 11:16 AM
1. Yes, 100% sure.

2. Yep. If you delete the recovery partition you won't be able to use the F9 functionality. However if you restore from the Recovery DVDs you burn (boot from the Recovery DVDs), then it will restore the recovery partition and the F9 functionality.

Bottom line: between John and I, we tested this process up and down, left and right, forwards and backwards, on stock drives, other drives of different manufacturers and sizes and speeds, and SSDs. The recovery process works as long as you use the newest AI Recover Tool.

Thank your very much Cecil (and Jonh again). It's a criticall step with a laptop that's not mine, I didn't want to be boring... just a little psycho :D

As I said, I will try with the last version 1.0.28 just released. News (good news I hope!) will be posted here.

See you and thanks to both again!

Thomas82
08-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Hi,

I have a question considering recovery. My newly bought G75VW has two disks: 128GB SSD and 750GB HD. As you can see in the attached picture, the OS was installled on the SSD together with a recovery partition (25GB). From the other side, it seems that there is a recovery partition on the HD (24,41GB). I created ISO DVD backups and decided to wipe out the recovery partition on the SSD. Will I be able to use (via F9) the second remaining recovery partition on the HD to restore OS on the SSD?

Thanks 4 help,
T.

Cecil_2099
08-07-2012, 01:58 AM
Thomas82: you can test it out by hitting F9 immediately on startup. If you get to the restore screen, then that means it works. Just cancel out so you don't start an actual restore.

Miss_Vampi
08-07-2012, 02:10 AM
Hey guys, I'm new to the forums.

Ok so.... I found all these threads a little too late, specially the one indicating that the pre-installed AI recovery on the g75v DOES NOT WORK.... so great.... I went in and burned my DVD's and tried to remove some bloatware by doing a clean install. I wen't through the entire DVD recovery process then it stops at : WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER-Can't find the OS. So I downloaded the Windows 7 64bit, tried to install. THen hit another wall. I Couldn't repair the disk.....okay....... went into the partitions...... and the only way I was able to get the OS running again so that I could AT LEAST browse the web.... was to remove all partitions and then format. So I lost my recovery partition.... and now have faulty DVD's.... I spoke to ASUS and they gave me a case number. Took it it to the tech-service near by and they just repaired my utilities but I'm still missing my recovery partition. They apparently don't have all the tools either......sooo..........what do I do?? Do I need it? How can I make one? I need the factory reset so that I can take it into the warranty in case it dies some day in the future.... HEEEELLPPP!!

Miss_Vampi
08-07-2012, 02:30 AM
Here's........my pictoresque explanation T__T

10693Step 1
10695Step 2 After giving up and just downloading my copy of Win7 (CAN'T DO EEEET T__T)
10694 Yup..... basically....... couldn't hit anything BUT delete....

Cecil_2099
08-07-2012, 02:59 AM
FIrst things first: What size hard drive (s) does your G75 come with? If your laptop comes with more than one, please try to restore from the DVDs with only one drive physically installed.

In your "where do you want to install windows" picture, your recovery partition won't be 100 MB. It's supposed to be closer to 24/25 GB.

Post back and I'll give more direction.

Miss_Vampi
08-07-2012, 03:20 AM
FIrst things first: What size hard drive (s) does your G75 come with? If your laptop comes with more than one, please try to restore from the DVDs with only one drive physically installed.

In your "where do you want to install windows" picture, your recovery partition won't be 100 MB. It's supposed to be closer to 24/25 GB.

Post back and I'll give more direction.

Hi Ceci, I think it was your post that I read a little to late... Ok, My g75v came with a 750gb hard drive. Just one, partitioned everywhere. 50 of those gb were hidden. I had, initially 5 partitions, and as you mentioned, the recovery one was 25gb. The other was the OS, at 128gb, a DATA partition at 369gb, another I have no idea what it was for, and lastly, the reserved partition, which was a few megas. I did try to recover from the DVDs with only that one hard drive, and whence i began the process, it took me through the whole, insert DISK 1 then DISK 2, 3, & 4. Finally it took me to the WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER error. Thats when I took out my burnt copy of Win7, and I came to that page with the 5 partitions. All of them read as incompatible because of how it was formatted, so I proceeded to hit format, but it was grayed out (for all of them) The only available options where DELETE and create unallocated space to install this OS. But still, the FORMAT was grayed out. I deleted all of them BUT the recovery....still no FORMAT option. Deleted that and came to a total of 700gb of unallocated space. THEN I was able to format and install.

Let me know if there's any other info you need.

Miss_Vampi
08-07-2012, 03:25 AM
I forgot to mention that I left my computer at an ASUS certified repair center near my town, and they were able to restore most of the utilities and incompatibilities at no charge thanks to the warranty. But I'm still left with no recovery partition and they don't seem to have the correct DVD's to complete the full system image restoration process. They just worked with the current OS that I left in there. I spoke to ASUS support center but I just keep getting asked to buy this set of DVD's when the machine clearly messed up my batch of backed up DVD's. I never managed to reach these forums before messing it up.

mluo3
08-07-2012, 03:26 AM
OMG! someone that can finally helped me! So the first time i factory reformat my laptop(without burning my cd) i apparently deleted the partition somehow. So AI recovery DOES NOT work for me at all. I had to order a disk from the ASUS e-store. And I have a 1 TB hard drive asus g75vw. And At first i thought the CD was faulty, because what happened was, after i press esc and chose to boot my DVD drive, the windows loading screen would pop up. After Going all the way, a white/silvery wallpaper will show. And then my Laptop would restart itself! So i really thought it was the Asus Recovery Dvd's fault. So i went through all the trouble in returning it and receiving a new one today. And the same problem occured. Is it because my hard drive is 1 TB? what can i do to fix this? Please help! Thank You!

Miss_Vampi
08-07-2012, 03:33 AM
OMG! someone that can finally helped me! So the first time i factory reformat my laptop(without burning my cd) i apparently deleted the partition somehow. So AI recovery DOES NOT work for me at all. I had to order a disk from the ASUS e-store. And I have a 1 TB hard drive asus g75vw. And At first i thought the CD was faulty, because what happened was, after i press esc and chose to boot my DVD drive, the windows loading screen would pop up. After Going all the way, a white/silvery wallpaper will show. And then my Laptop would restart itself! So i really thought it was the Asus Recovery Dvd's fault. So i went through all the trouble in returning it and receiving a new one today. And the same problem occured. Is it because my hard drive is 1 TB? what can i do to fix this? Please help! Thank You!

I had the same issue but with the 750gb version. Its apparently an issue with these high memory ones. It's been covered in a thread. At least you got to return yours T___T Im way past the return policy boooooo! The factory pre-installed AI recovery utility DOESN'T WORK! Bleh

Cecil_2099
08-07-2012, 03:54 AM
mluo3 and Miss_Vampi:

Do you have a friend or relative who has a spare laptop drive at a smaller capacity size? If so, please try to restore with only that in the computer. If it works, then it's the Recovery DVDs that seem to have issue with your hard drive sizes (the 1TB is known to cause problems with the original version of the AI Recovery). If it still doesn't work then the DVDs you burned are unfortunately bad, and your only option is to:

Reformat your drives and install windows from scratch.

I would suggest using a partition management software bootable from a USB stick or a DVD to handle removing all the partitions to start from a clean slate and then installing windows from there.

Actually for Miss_Vampi: Try removing all the partitions and use the Recovery DVDs to see what happens.

Miss_Vampi
08-07-2012, 04:08 AM
mluo3 and Miss_Vampi:
Actually for Miss_Vampi: Try removing all the partitions and use the Recovery DVDs to see what happens.

My recovery DVD's were bad too =( but there's one more try at this... if the tech guys can't recover it, I do have a classmate who purchased the same model a few days before I did and she's not into touching the computer much. I could ask her to update her AI recovery and burn another set of DVD's for me. I'll see to that tomorrow.

mluo3
08-07-2012, 04:26 AM
But i mean, its impossible that the disc is faulty, because I had it shipped to me twice! that is just impossible or very very very unlikely, I even had them make sure it works. Um, i Did for the last disc, tried it on my PC hard drive with the first disc i have(which was a 640gb) and it did the same thing, Restarted.

Cecil_2099
08-07-2012, 05:28 AM
It's a known fact that the recovery discs burned from earlier versions of AI Recovery don't work with 1TB hard drives. I've had successful recoveries up to 500 GB (didn't have access to a 640 or 750 GB HDD), so perhaps the discs you ordered from ASUS were burned from the earlier version? That would certainly explain why you are having issues with recovery from the DVD on your 1TB drive. Try using a smaller HDD (max 500 GB) to see if it works. If it does (and I believe it should), then recover from the DVDs, update AI Recovery to newest version, then burn a new set of DVDs and use the new ones to recover to the 1TB drive.

Cecil_2099
08-07-2012, 05:39 AM
Also you need to remember that your computer will restart itself when it's setting itself up after rebuilding the recovery partition. Read through my guide on the first page of this thread. It's all explained.

mluo3
08-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Okay, yea, it doesnt work, cause i tried it on my Mac, and it does the same thing. Restarts my Mac @ step 6(according to your thead.) The hard drive i have on the mac, is a 250gb hard drive. So this is pretty fail. I am not even seeing step 7. It gets to step 6, and restarts. The only thing i can probably say is wrong, is the AI Recovery doesn't exist, or something is wrong with the boot file on the CD. Or the computers i have tested it on does not have the correct AI recovery installed. which I believe is impossible because what if the hard drive is clean. And Cecil, Its not restarting at the right moment. Its restarting right after step 6.

mluo3
08-07-2012, 02:46 PM
unless of course, I am required to use a clean(no partition) hard drive. Since the one i have on my mac has the Mac OS on it. I will give ASUS estore a call today and see how they "checked" if it the disc work.

Miss_Vampi
08-07-2012, 02:51 PM
My friend who has the very same model as me g75v lent me her computer to create the recovery disks with the updated utility. She hasnt touched so the dvds should burn right. Will the dvds work on my computer using my win7 license?

Cecil_2099
08-07-2012, 05:17 PM
My friend who has the very same model as me g75v lent me her computer to create the recovery disks with the updated utility. She hasnt touched so the dvds should burn right. Will the dvds work on my computer using my win7 license?

I'm not entirely sure if it will as I haven't tried using DVDs burned from another G75 to restore mine. I have been told that it may not because it automatically enters the product key for the Win7, but at this point it's worth a shot. Please let us know if it works as you'll be the first.

Cecil_2099
08-07-2012, 05:20 PM
unless of course, I am required to use a clean(no partition) hard drive. Since the one i have on my mac has the Mac OS on it. I will give ASUS estore a call today and see how they "checked" if it the disc work.

Technically the partitioning shouldn't matter as the AI Recovery DVDs re-partition the drive anyway.

In your earlier post you said it restarted after Step 6. Does the bar fill up and then the computer just reboots? What screen do you get upon reboot? Can you take a picture of it?

mluo3
08-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Yes, the bar fills up. It Goes all the way, loads this silver/light grey screen. You see the cursor goes loading mode. And then the computer would restart. Ill Do a recording on my macbook, since it does pretty much the same thing.

http://youtu.be/3rQGhDA5uW0

Sorry for the bad quality, I did it really quick on my phone. but i believe u can still see what is going on.

Miss_Vampi
08-12-2012, 05:18 AM
Hey guys. I did a quick Google search regarding the use of Recovery Disks burned from another computer with the same specifications and maker, and the general answer is that it is possible if it is exactly the same. So... Im doing the test tonight. Wish me luck guys~!

Miss_Vampi
08-12-2012, 08:21 AM
CONFIRMED: USING RECOVERY DVD'S FROM THE SAME MODEL AND OS WORKS
Here's a summary of my case and what I learned:

I wanted to get rid of the bloatware on my g75v, 750gb, and tried doing a fresh install of Win7, but I lost my recovery partition and all working drivers. I lost my partition due to being unable to install on any of the pre formatted partitions, so I had to delete it all. Later I used the recovery DVD's burned with the OLD AI Utility, which was proven doesn't work, and hit an ever bigger wall. I had my friend, with the very same model, OS, and specifications burn a set with the NEW update of AI Utility. I went ahead and set them in my computer and started the recovery process. I went through all the steps, and it finally took me to the factory state/set up process. All clean WITH my recovery partition returned! Now I updated all of the drivers and burnt another DVD back up just in case, and am attempting another cleansing of bloatware with a working copy of the OS.

WARNINGS:
1. Using another model's set of DVD's does not work and will prompt MAAANY issues.
2. ONLY use same model, OS, and specification recover DVD's.
3. This is considered illegal, although it's a great remedy, so please follow these instructions to change Win7 Product Key to your own. =)
http://www.sizzledcore.com/2009/10/26/how-to-change-windows-7-product-key/
4. The whole process took about 4 hours.
5. congrats on saving 70$

So if anyone needs or wants to recovery their hidden partition, this is another simpler method, if you have a neighbor or a very kind ROG user who would burn you a copy. Speaking with ASUS, they charge $50 for their clean set of DVD's plus shipping. For me it would have been $70....so no thanks....

Cecil_2099
08-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Thanks for confirming and contributing to this thread! Glad it all worked out and nice warnings.

Lightning188
08-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Hi,

I've a problem with my G75.
A have created the 5 DVDs to recreate the recovery partition. I lock the 2nd HDD interface on the BIOS. I try to boot using this DVD's, the process makes no problem and when the computer restarts, it writes this :

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the the cause. To fix problem :

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart...
2. Choose your language settings...
3 Click "Repair your computer"

And then i press continue, and it gives a black screen with this : Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key

I posted on other forums and people says that it's a UEFI problem. My HDD is a GPT partition table.

When i boot on gparted live cd, i see this : http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=827368Capturedu20120818150758.png

On the Recovery partition with the red explanation, i can see this log :

Failed to read last sector (51198178): Argument invalide
HINTS: Either the volume is a RAID/LDM but it wasn't setup yet,
or it was not setup correctly (e.g. by not using mdadm --build ...),
or a wrong device is tried to be mounted,
or the partition table is corrupt (partition is smaller than NTFS),
or the NTFS boot sector is corrupt (NTFS size is not valid).
ERROR(22): Opening '/dev/sda5' as NTFS failed: Argument invalide
The device '/dev/sda5' doesn't have a valid NTFS.
Maybe you selected the wrong partition? Or the whole disk instead of a
partition (e.g. /dev/hda, not /dev/hda1)? This error might also occur
if the disk was incorrectly repartitioned (see the ntfsresize FAQ).

Somebody can help me, please ?

Best regards.

Lightning188

john_from_ohio
08-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Hi,

I've a problem with my G75.
A have created the 5 DVDs to recreate the recovery partition.

Did you update to the most recent Asus recovery utility before burning your recovery DVDs?

You really should remove entirely the 2nd hard drive ( if any ) while recovering and only put it back in after the recovery process completes ( in my opinion ).

What size of hard drive ( primary ) are you recovering onto?

Cecil and I found that the initial version of the Asus recovery utility DOES NOT WORK with drives 1 TB and larger but later versions of the recovery utility do actually work with big drives. Is that possibly the situation you are running into?

Lightning188
08-18-2012, 04:15 PM
Hi,

I used the factory version of AI recover utility directly after the 1st launch of my laptop after unboxing.
I don't understand because the process to create dvd was successfull and the DVD's recover process too.

My 1st HDD is a 750GB and the 2nd is a 750GB too (1,5TB total).
But I locked the 2nd interface HDD on the BIOS, i don't need to retire physically the 2nd HDD drive, right ? I followed the instructions of the manual.

But i've a question, is that not a UEFI boot problem ? Because my HDD has a GPT partition table and not a MBR partition table...

What can i do to boot on the Recovery partition about 24GB ?
I don't want to install a fresh windows 7, i prefer the factory installation.

Lightning188
08-18-2012, 04:58 PM
Up !

I need help... :(

john_from_ohio
08-18-2012, 06:24 PM
Up !

Well believe it or not ... people here volunteer time ... multiple postings likely not to get help any faster ... just the other way around actually.

Personally if I were you I would do this:
1) Pull out both your existing drives out of the machine right now
2) Put in a smaller drive temporarily ... 500 gb maybe?
3) Use your current recovery DVDs to attempt recovery onto smaller drive ... it takes a really long time ... do not interrupt the process early
4) If that works update to latest recovery Utility from asus and burn a set of "better" recovery DVDs

jerson42
08-20-2012, 05:48 AM
Hi to all!!! (and to ms_vampi)

This is my first time to post in this forum... G75 is my first ROG notebook and im very satisfied on it...im also an asus fanatic he he....using previously the ASUS n10j and ASUS vx6s......

I have same problem with ms_vampi....try to install fresh windows and deleted my recovery partition....with the advice....I'll go to one of my friend using same G75 model and burn a set of recovery DVD...

Now im planning to try this set copy of recovery, but first, try to ask some question for clarification.......

a.) reformatting the hard drive - hdd or sdd (does affect the life of the hard drive)
b.) is it safe to restore the hdd to its default manufacturer's condition before installing the windows (e.g. using gparted magic)
c.) and lastly, ms_vampi or ms cecil, for example i have successfully recovered the partition using my friends copy of g75 recovery dvd...then i will re-activate or re-install the windows using my very own OEM product key....then, if i will burn again a set of recovery dvd, is it now the same with my original (supposedly) system recovery as before my new G75 including the pre-installed windows 7 HP product key?

thank you!!!

john_from_ohio
08-20-2012, 10:43 AM
c.) and lastly, ms_vampi or ms cecil, for example i have successfully recovered the partition using my friends copy of g75 recovery dvd...then i will re-activate or re-install the windows using my very own OEM product key....then, if i will burn again a set of recovery dvd, is it now the same with my original (supposedly) system recovery as before my new G75 including the pre-installed windows 7 HP product key?

Ms. Cecil ??? Anyway no if you use a recovery set of DVDs from another machine that is what the new recovery partition will be based on and will carry on that set of windows 7 keys. It is not a big deal to put in your correct key for windows although if done enough times may trigger in a telephone based activation call to microsoft for verification ... again not a big deal.

jerson42
08-20-2012, 11:30 AM
ok! thank u for the response!!!.... i will try now...

Miss_Vampi
08-21-2012, 01:42 AM
Ms. Cecil ??? Anyway no if you use a recovery set of DVDs from another machine that is what the new recovery partition will be based on and will carry on that set of windows 7 keys. It is not a big deal to put in your correct key for windows although if done enough times may trigger in a telephone based activation call to microsoft for verification ... again not a big deal.

Yeah I got that phone call verification prompt. But no biggie. It all turned out alright. To be honest, everything looks like it's back in its place. Just PLEASE REMEMBER TO UPDATE AI RECOVERY lol so the same mistake doesn't happen again.

abelrhd
08-21-2012, 10:36 PM
Nice work! Thanks!!:)

ichito
08-22-2012, 07:32 AM
hi i need a little help before reading any guides or anything i proceeded to restore my g75 using the 3 recovery disks that geek squad gave me when i purchased my laptop .....currently my laptop isnt reaching the 13th , and went to a screen telling me that:
windows failed to start. a recent hardware or software change might be the cause. to fix this problem:
1)insert your windows installation disk and restart your computer.
2)choose your language setting and then click next
3)click repair your computer.
after clicking enter to continue this message is displayed:
Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key. From here i just added back in the disks and it the process started all over again but with the same problem again

would i have to follow these steps to get it back to work :
3) Use your current recovery DVDs to attempt recovery onto smaller drive ... it takes a really long time ... do not interrupt the process early
4) If that works update to latest recovery Utility from asus and burn a set of "better" recovery DVDs

this has a 1tb hdd

or is there another easier method as i currently don't have another drive and i will be needing the laptop for work starting next week

i kindly appreciate any help i can get

john_from_ohio
08-22-2012, 07:04 PM
hi i need a little help before reading any guides or anything i proceeded to restore my g75 using the 3 recovery disks that geek squad gave me when i purchased my laptop .....currently my laptop isnt reaching the 13th , and went to a screen telling me that:
windows failed to start. a recent hardware or software change might be the cause. to fix this problem:
1)insert your windows installation disk and restart your computer.
2)choose your language setting and then click next
3)click repair your computer.
after clicking enter to continue this message is displayed:
Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key. From here i just added back in the disks and it the process started all over again but with the same problem again

would i have to follow these steps to get it back to work :

this has a 1tb hdd

or is there another easier method as i currently don't have another drive and i will be needing the laptop for work starting next week

i kindly appreciate any help i can get

Yes I think your steps are correct. Looks like Best Buy geeks did you no favors by burning you a set of recovery DVDs before updating to a version of the Asus recovery utility that actually produces working recovery DVDs for people with big drives.

Yes at this point if you can beg/borrow a smaller drive temporarily it should probably work to eventually get a set of recovery DVDs that will work on your 1 TB drive.

What a pain eh?

ichito
08-22-2012, 09:20 PM
zzzzzz what a pain :/ thankfully my computer technician is a friend of the family so hes gonna help me out with lending me one of the spare hdds he got lying around :/ hopefully everything will go smoothely and the reason i tryed to reset it to factory default was what i think it was(worm/virus that malewarebytes and kaspersky couldnt find ) and hopefully not a hardware issue :/
thanks for the help ill tell you if it works on friday :D

_
08-24-2012, 09:17 AM
A Huge thank you for doing this guide, I've promoted it to the front page:

http://rog.asus.com/150812012/g-series-laptops/guide-using-asus-ai-recovery-utility-dvds-to-backup-and-restore-a-g75/

Cecil_2099
08-25-2012, 07:00 AM
A Huge thank you for doing this guide, I've promoted it to the front page:

http://rog.asus.com/150812012/g-series-laptops/guide-using-asus-ai-recovery-utility-dvds-to-backup-and-restore-a-g75/

Thanks MarshallR!

ichito
08-26-2012, 12:49 AM
well i got my laptop back up and running but my fn button for some buttons such as f3 f4 f7 f8 f9 f10 f11 f12 and the smart area of the touchpad dont work any suggestions ..... ik i may be posting this on the wrong thread but youve been so helpful :D

Miss_Vampi
08-26-2012, 01:28 AM
well i got my laptop back up and running but my fn button for some buttons such as f3 f4 f7 f8 f9 f10 f11 f12 and the smart area of the touchpad dont work any suggestions ..... ik i may be posting this on the wrong thread but youve been so helpful :D

This looks like driver issues. I suggest doing what I did, go to this page: http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1

1. Search and select your model.
2. Download all the drivers needed. (I downloaded all of them.) But here's a useful guide. (Scroll down to Drivers Installation) http://forums.pctweakers.net/printthread.php?t=129&pp=40
3. Regardless of what the guide suggests, ATK package goes FIRST.
4. Reboot! (Took me two reboots.)
5. Try your keys.

Bekarasha
08-27-2012, 10:36 AM
guys! come on! its 2012 and you still using dvd to recover :( why not USB, its much more faster than any dvd.
usb reinstallation is about 10 min.
asus should include the option to macke recovery on -dvd -2nd hdd or -usb.

rewben
08-27-2012, 05:39 PM
@Bekarasha, yes you can use usb. http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16532-Repair-Your-Computer-amp-AI-Recovery-doesn-t-work-after-Did-Factory-Recovery-by-DVD&p=114640&viewfull=1#post114640, TIPS section.

john_from_ohio
08-27-2012, 06:08 PM
usb reinstallation is about 10 min.

Why don't you get back to us after you have really done a re-install with a more realistic time.

Bekarasha
08-27-2012, 09:54 PM
...with a more realistic time.
don't take everything seriously, relax and enjoy yourself.
on empty hdd less than 15 min from usb
image of os + drivers less than 20min form usb
I hope u know what "image" is for example Norton Ghost Software

john_from_ohio
08-27-2012, 10:14 PM
don't take everything seriously, relax and enjoy yourself.
on empty hdd less than 15 min from usb
image of os + drivers less than 20min form usb
I hope u know what "image" is for example Norton Ghost Software

We burn recovery DVDs for factory re-install ... have you tested how long that takes from usb? Hint: its gonna be a lot longer than 10 or 15 minutes ...

Yes of course everyone should be doing other kinds of backups ... personally I have a couple of approaches. However the vast majority of people here probably do not and will not backup their systems regularly ... unfortunately.

AlfredKoh
08-30-2012, 06:36 AM
I'm planning to recover due to trojan infection. But my concern is, will it affect my D Drive?
I saw the picture that we can select format first partition. So if i select this option, it will only format and recover C drive and will not affect D Drive right?

rewben
08-30-2012, 07:16 AM
@AlfredKoh, theoritically, yes it means that, literally.

practically, make a full backup of your d: partition first, for safety's sake.

Robertmcaloney
09-04-2012, 03:30 PM
If I ordered the recovery disks off of asus website "estore" do I still follow these steps? Also will these disks work for a laptop with a 1tb drive? It came with 2 disks.

john_from_ohio
09-05-2012, 01:07 AM
If I ordered the recovery disks off of asus website "estore" do I still follow these steps? Also will these disks work for a laptop with a 1tb drive? It came with 2 disks.

Dunno about if it will work with a 1 TB drive until it is tried ... depends what version of recovery utility they used to create the DVDs.

It should be useable though to recover ( for sure ) to a smaller drive like 500 gb that could then be updated to latest version of recovery utility ... then use that to burn a set of recovery DVDs that "should" work on a 1 tb drive.

It may work out of the box for a 1 tb drive ... I hope so ... but well ... just guessing here.

GtownWing
09-10-2012, 05:22 AM
So what do you do if your restore disks were burned with the older software. I still get the error after a"successful restore". So what do you do when your restore disks are crap, because you used older version and didn't know to burn new ones with the new software update?

dstrakele
09-10-2012, 05:52 AM
Read this entire thread to reveal all the answers you seek, grasshopper....

john_from_ohio
09-10-2012, 05:28 PM
So what do you do if your restore disks were burned with the older software. I still get the error after a"successful restore". So what do you do when your restore disks are crap, because you used older version and didn't know to burn new ones with the new software update?

Restore onto a smaller drive first ... update that system to latest asus recovery utility ... burn a new set of "better" recovery disks ...

shadowarrowny
09-13-2012, 05:30 AM
I used this guide to restore my image from factory to a new SSD, everything went exactly as described.....

My machine is a hot rod now!

Perfect, thank you Cecil!

-Kevin (ROG noob)

jsheldon
10-28-2012, 08:45 PM
On the g75vw-bbk5, once a system image has been done to a capacious external HDD and the win 7/64 repair dvd has been created by the win 7 utility, I can't seem to get the system to boot from the Repair DVD (though I've done this with other hardware (HP for one).

What am I missing since the Repair DVD was seemingly created OK by win 7 ... is there some "secret herbs & spices" I'm mssing?

john_from_ohio
10-28-2012, 09:14 PM
On the g75vw-bbk5, once a system image has been done to a capacious external HDD and the win 7/64 repair dvd has been created by the win 7 utility, I can't seem to get the system to boot from the Repair DVD (though I've done this with other hardware (HP for one).

What am I missing since the Repair DVD was seemingly created OK by win 7 ... is there some "secret herbs & spices" I'm mssing?

As I noted along here somewhere ( probably several times ) creating a Win 7 recovery disk DOES NOT WORK on these systems.

It is a windows problem ...

Boot it up with a Win 7 install disk that has SP1 already on it ... and use that for the recovery ... that will work.

jsheldon
10-28-2012, 09:27 PM
As I noted along here somewhere ( probably several times ) creating a Win 7 recovery disk DOES NOT WORK on these systems.

It is a windows problem ...

Boot it up with a Win 7 install disk that has SP1 already on it ... and use that for the recovery ... that will work.

If your Win 7 Repair DVD doesn't work on the G75vw that surely tallies with my experience ... wonder why not since as I noted I've booted from these MS Win 7 Repair DVD on other manuracturer's gear and I'm not sure that I even HAVE a W7 Install disk (that I can unearth).

Mebbe there's another bypass I can find. If so, I'll post the information. I'm trying to do a Win 8 upgrade install keeping everything and the Upgrade Assistant keeps kicking mwe off claiming that the USB3 drivers won't work (which makes printers, ext HDDs, mice, etc. pointless and I'm not too keen on pursing THAT further until I know I can restore my current Win 7 image as it's quite large.

Many thanks for the info John.

john_from_ohio
10-28-2012, 09:33 PM
If your Win 7 Repair DVD doesn't work on the G75vw that surely tallies with my experience ... wonder why not since as I noted I've booted from these MS Win 7 Repair DVD on other manuracturer's gear and I'm not sure that I even HAVE a W7 Install disk (that I can unearth).

Many thanks for the info John.

You can find from ( free ) microsoft digital river downloads an ISO of Win 7 including SP1 install that you can download and burn ... its legit.

It may be that a Win 8 install disk can also do this recovery ... have not tried that.

Yes the Win 8 install wants you to un-install the current USB3 driver ... before proceeding ... but the USB external support will come back.

I for one would recommend trying the upgrade on a 2nd external drive not your original though ... pull out everything original when testing this scenario.

jsheldon
10-29-2012, 02:49 PM
You can find from ( free ) microsoft digital river downloads an ISO of Win 7 including SP1 install that you can download and burn ... its legit.

It may be that a Win 8 install disk can also do this recovery ... have not tried that.

Yes the Win 8 install wants you to un-install the current USB3 driver ... before proceeding ... but the USB external support will come back.

I for one would recommend trying the upgrade on a 2nd external drive not your original though ... pull out everything original when testing this scenario.

I'll check that all out by this coming weekend if not sooner; TYVM for the suggestions, John.

I still wonder what the glitch on the w7 Sys Recov DVD might be - seems odd (but after all it IS MSstuff).

john_from_ohio
10-29-2012, 05:28 PM
I still wonder what the glitch on the w7 Sys Recov DVD might be - seems odd (but after all it IS MSstuff).

Well the Win 7 install disk recovery of a UEFI based system ONLY works with a Win 7 install that has SP1 on it ...

Guessing that when a ( current aka SP1 based ) Win 7 executable creates the recovery disk it forgets somehow to include UEFI support ??? Should have been tested / should have been caught by microsoft QA testing ... but not so much apparently.

veky010
11-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Hi,
recently i bought asus g75vw-1019H (model in croatia: 8gb of ram, 750hb hdd, gtx 660m, win 8). When i tried to make recovery dvd-s with ai recovery burner 1.028 (which i downloaded for win7 because there is no for win 8) it said "recovery partition does not exist". I looked in disk managment and there where efi system partition 300mb, recovery partiotion (300mb free of 600mb), recovery partition (10.2gb of 20gb free) and two normal partitions (os and data). I decided not to mess up hidden partitions, just install win 7 on os partition. After mesing with secure boot and uefi I managed to formated it through win 7 boot instalation wizard and install win 7 on it.
Now in win7 disk managment it says that all three hidden partitions are empty, but when i boot with win7 disk it says 300mb and 10.2gb free like in win8 disk managment. Trying to install win8 from recovery partition didn't work (it says recovery partition could not be forund).
Have i deleted data from recovery partitions when installing win7 or there was no recovery partition from the begining.

rewben
11-03-2012, 02:24 PM
what happens when you press the f9 key during boot? it should start the recovery process (but i'm not sure if it's still working, since new OS installation should have modified necessary boot settings)

veky010
11-03-2012, 03:26 PM
what happens when you press the f9 key during boot? it should start the recovery process (but i'm not sure if it's still working, since new OS installation should have modified necessary boot settings)

it starts recovery. then i go to reset your pc and it says "required drive partition not found". i didn't delete aby hidden parttions.

rewben
11-03-2012, 04:03 PM
i think the windows 7 installation must have messed something up :/

i am not sure if there are other ways to run the recovery process from recovery partition.

veky010
11-03-2012, 04:09 PM
i think the windows 7 installation must have messed something up :/

i am not sure if there are other ways to run the recovery process from recovery partition.

ok, thx. i can now delete hidden partitions. do you know where is serial for win8 located if i want to install clean win8?

rewben
11-04-2012, 01:02 AM
@veky010, it should be stated in a sticker at the back of your laptop.

AllTiger
11-08-2012, 05:47 PM
Hi people, Excelent post, but I have a huge problem

I tried to install another OS on my g75vw, but after doing that my hard disk (1TB) got something like hidden and is not part of the boot options, does any one know how to fix this???

On the other hand does anyone have or know where to download recovery DVD (for win 8) since my recovery partitions are hidden of course and I did not create any DVD when win 8 was workin

Thanks all for the attention

Lightning188
11-14-2012, 09:00 AM
Hi,

I would just precise that with the new BIOS 221, the recovery process after 100% and rebooting, the recovery doesn't boot and displays this message : "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press key"

My computer reference is : G75VW-T1042V.

Before creating my DVD's recovery, i used the good version of AI Recovery and with the 210 BIOS the recovery worked fine...

Who can help me, please ?

Bests regards.

Lightning188.

rewben
11-14-2012, 09:52 AM
@Lightning188, refreshing bios normally sets everything to defaults. can it be the settings in the bios, such as boot sequence, boot priorities, etc. have changed?

Lightning188
11-14-2012, 10:45 AM
Nothing has changed in the BIOS. I've done a Restore Defaults, and i see that P0: isn't in the list of boot options. The entry is normally a Windows Boot Manager type. What can I do ? And the HDD works correctly that's why I don't understand where comes this error. The main HDD contains all partitions needed to boot on the recovery partition. :(

rewben
11-14-2012, 10:50 AM
@Lightning188, did you mean to say your primary hdd couldn't be detected by the bios? what's your setting for uefi boot? enabled or disabled?

Lightning188
11-14-2012, 12:22 PM
My primary HDD when he is empty, on the BIOS the "P0:" entry disappear because the HDD has a GPT partition table and the UEFI is enabled. And only when the recovery process is done and when the computer reboots, normally if the recovery with F9 can boot, i can see a "P0: Windows Boot Manager" entry.

But in my situation, i do the same process when i had the old BIOS 210, and i can't see the entry "P0: Windows Boot Manager".

But when i go to set the mode AHCI, i see the primary disk and the secondary disk. Then I conclude that's not a hardware problem but software problem (BIOS version).

The health of my primary disk is written on Disk Utility with a Linux Live CD (The disk is healty).

Then i'm sure that's the version of my BIOS which is not adapted for a Windows 7 System but only for news G75VW with Windows 8.

Is that possible ? :/

rewben
11-14-2012, 03:05 PM
hm.. too bad there is no such details about the changes in bios, but i really don't think ASUS will block us from using other versions of windows than w8.

i'm sorry that i'm not familiar with how UEFI works :/ if the recovery is impossible, the best bet would be a fresh windows install via bios instead of uefi.

amadus98
11-15-2012, 01:18 PM
Hello all new G75vw owner.... before I use my new comp I wanted to make a recovery dvd and I found this site. SO far great info here thanks to all that post. My g75 came preinstalled with win8 is the ai utility the same for this as win7 ? reason I ask is I cant find the ai utility in the download section for os win 8. I see it in the download- utilities section of os win7. Any clarification would be highly appreciated.

g75vw with 1tb hhd, 8gb ram.

I have purchased an intel 180g ssd and am going to try and install my os on it. going to add a small hhd in the other bay and just keep my 1tb hhd as a back up.

thanks ANdreas

amadus98
11-15-2012, 03:04 PM
Hello all new G75vw owner.... before I use my new comp I wanted to make a recovery dvd and I found this site. SO far great info here thanks to all that post. My g75 came preinstalled with win8 is the ai utility the same for this as win7 ? reason I ask is I cant find the ai utility in the download section for os win 8. I see it in the download- utilities section of os win7. Any clarification would be highly appreciated.

g75vw with 1tb hhd, 8gb ram.

I have purchased an intel 180g ssd and am going to try and install my os on it. going to add a small hhd in the other bay and just keep my 1tb hhd as a back up.

thanks ANdreas

looks like I found an answer.... http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?24546-G75-Windows-8-AI-Recovery-Utlity-Intel-520-ssd&highlight=win8

pulkepop
11-15-2012, 11:34 PM
Thanks a lot for all the info!

Cliff
11-19-2012, 01:30 AM
This program is a piece of crap. I am trying to get the hidden partition on a new 128GB SSD with no luck. After burning the 4 disks and restoring, all the steps in the process work normally until after it kicks out the 4th disk indicating job is done. At that point computer will not reboot no matter what I try unless I remove the SSD and put the original hard drive back in. Fooling with setup does nothing. I guess I just have to forget the hidden partition and use my True Image to accomplish the job. Have wasted many hours doing this over and over with no luck.

timppu
12-07-2012, 10:52 PM
My primary HDD when he is empty, on the BIOS the "P0:" entry disappear because the HDD has a GPT partition table and the UEFI is enabled. And only when the recovery process is done and when the computer reboots, normally if the recovery with F9 can boot, i can see a "P0: Windows Boot Manager" entry.

But in my situation, i do the same process when i had the old BIOS 210, and i can't see the entry "P0: Windows Boot Manager".

But when i go to set the mode AHCI, i see the primary disk and the secondary disk. Then I conclude that's not a hardware problem but software problem (BIOS version).

The health of my primary disk is written on Disk Utility with a Linux Live CD (The disk is healty).

Then i'm sure that's the version of my BIOS which is not adapted for a Windows 7 System but only for news G75VW with Windows 8.

Is that possible ? :/

Hi,

Sorry I can't help, but just a confirmation here that I am facing exactly the same problem as you, as I am trying to reinstall Win7 by using the recovery DVDs I created earlier.

When I had the original v207 BIOS (for G75VW), the recovery with those same DVDs went fine. Now with BIOS v221, after the recovery program has first copied the DVDs to create the hidden recovery partition again, and reboots the PC to start the actual recovery process, I am just greeted with the same "select proper boot device" error.

When I go to BIOS, the only bootable device it recognizes is the DVD-ROM drive. P0 (nor P1) are not visible as bootable devices, even though BIOS sees the hard drives though. I have locked the secondary disk away though, the same as disconnecting it for the duration of the recovery process.

It just seems ASUS has made a big poo poo with the BIOS v221. Poorly tested, at least, causing problems here and there. Maybe I'll bite the bullet and downgrade the BIOS back to some earlier version, either v210 or even the oldest 207.

I just wish ASUS would come clean and clear on what now has changed with BIOS v221, and to whom it is meant for, and who should definitely not update to it.

timppu
12-07-2012, 11:01 PM
i'm sorry that i'm not familiar with how UEFI works :/ if the recovery is impossible, the best bet would be a fresh windows install via bios instead of uefi.

How is the install "via BIOS instead of UEFI" performed? Do you mean UEFI (secure boot) should be disabled in BIOS settings? The problem is, in BIOS v221 the UEFI settings seem to have disappeared altogether. It is hard to me even tell whether UEFI secure boot is now enabled, or disabled, on my G75. The problems my system has detecting any UEFI boots now indicates UEFI is now disabled... but then again my previous working Win7 installation was installed with UEFI, I believe, and it booted fine with v221. At least it had a separate hidden EFI partition in the beginning.

rewben
12-08-2012, 04:50 AM
first, imo UEFI is not SecureBoot; SecureBoot is a feature that can only be used with UEFI enabled. what i have suspected is this: the new bios set UEFI as default, and BIOS becomes secondary. that might be one of the reasons why this UEFI boot option was taken out. then, another option called "Launch CSM" is used to allow any bootable media, UEFI or BIOS, to boot freely (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25500-HELP-!!-How-to-install-Win7-on-a-Win8-pre-loaded-G75vw-(Suicide-mode-almost-ON!)&p=187444&viewfull=1#post187444). again, all these are solely my guesses.

now getting to your question, How is the install "via BIOS instead of UEFI" performed?; that's what i know that worked for sure, before all the above:
1. convert the stock disk to MBR;
2. set bios to "Launch CSM" enabled, "SecureBoot Control" disabled;
3. boot with your installer to proceed.

you can check your windowsif it's installed via UEFI or BIOS:
1.open the file c:\windows\panther\setupact.log;
2. search for the string Callback_BootEnvironmentDetect
3. the immediate next line ( Detected boot environment: ) will tell you if it's EFI or BIOS

this is mine on w8, UEFI:

2012-12-03 23:17:45, Info IBS Callback_BootEnvironmentDetect:FirmwareType 2.
2012-12-03 23:17:45, Info IBS Callback_BootEnvironmentDetect: Detected boot environment: EFI

FER_RO
12-10-2012, 07:23 PM
Hi All, I can´t find the AI Recovery in Utilities Section. does any one notice that the program is not there??.
sorry about my English

Jofica
12-29-2012, 08:48 PM
I just got a G55VW laptop, with Windows 8 64B installed, but I can't find out the utility to create the AI Recovery discs.
Trying to reboot and pressing f9 doesn't get me to any utility to create any type of recovery discs.
I already spent 3 days looking and trying how to create those discs before starting to load my programs into the system.
It is any ASUS store where can I buy/order the original installation?
Any suggestion will be appreciated...
Thank you

dcisive
12-30-2012, 12:59 AM
I'm not sure why ya'll get yourselves wrapped around the axle over such issues. I just picked up a nice little 1tb Seagate outboard USB3 hard drive and downloaded and installed the wonderful and FREE "Macrium Reflect" for windows 7 and 8. Does a nice full image of my entire hard drive in it's current working perfect state in less than 8 minutes. You also burn a recovery disc that allows you to painlessly load the saved image on the external drive. To MY way of thinking THIS is the best way to go. NO discs for recovery of the factory stuff. This puts your entire system back the way it was when it had all your favorite working hardware and software in place (assuming you've gone to the trouble of cleaning house of any bugs, junk files etc. prior to saving the image). I now find the whole process fast and painless. No more recovery discs for me thanks.

steeefyyy
01-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Hi , is there any way that someone who has a g75 can put here the recovery DVD ? I dont have the Recovery partition in my g75 (because I had to format my whole computer and it was deleted) and my father lost my DVD recovery, I would like to put my laptop to its factory like condition, and i dont know how can i do it :(

Jofica
01-04-2013, 03:13 AM
dcisive: thank you for your reply.

I agree with you with respect to the image to a large drive, that's exactly what I do with my Desktop and working stations after all my applications are installed. But that's a lot of space and HD
Everybody has a different reason; or to make an image or to get the real recovery discs.
It is nice to have at least the O/S discs.

In my case with the G55VW-DH71 notebook, I found out how to create an image on a USB flash drive (minimum 16GB) and a System Repair Disc.
Typing "Recovery" on the Search function and then the Settings will show you all the apps for the image and for the System Repair Disc.

steveno
01-07-2013, 04:12 AM
The recovery disks do not work on the 750GB disks as well. The recovery disk leave the disk "hidden" from the bios after it completes the writing the partitions.

steveno
01-07-2013, 04:14 AM
I agree that is the way to go!

isurus
01-19-2013, 05:45 AM
Where is the AI Recoery tool? It's not in the utilities section. I need it NOW!

isurus
01-19-2013, 05:55 AM
are you kidding me, you have to pay for recovery software, that's why we can't find it? bullsh1t!

http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4969

falledangel88
02-01-2013, 05:17 PM
hi. sorry for my bad English. I have one problem with my asus g75vw.io I followed your instructions:
- Download the new version of AI recovery (1.0.28)
recevory-burned the DVD (6DVD)

I have restored but when I reboot I get this error:

windows boot manager
windows failed to start. a recent hardware or software change might be the cause. to fix the problem:
1-insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2-choose your language settings, and then click next.
3-click "repayr your computer."

if you do not have disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacter for assistance.

File: \ Boot \ CD

info: an error occured while Attempting to read the boot configurtion data

falledangel88
02-01-2013, 05:44 PM
at this link in the other site post you can download the AI recovery v. 1.0.28

dkolacz
02-17-2013, 12:14 AM
So via the guidance of this thread, I have been trying to get a working set of recovery DVDs for my G75 with 1 TB drive.

I burned the 3 DVDs via the shipped version of AI Recovery that came with system.

I have installed a 320GB drive in the same bay as the original drive.

BIOS is the latest...223.

The 3 DVDs run and says the image is restored correctly, however on next reboot, it does not start the recovery process and I get error about "boot device not found...yada...insert boot media...yada"

If I power on the machine and hit F9 once, or a hundred times, nothing happens...gets same error as above.

Now for a curveball...After the restore of the 3 DVDs, the BIOS does not list the drive as a boot option. Likewise, if I hit ESC at boot, only the CDROM is listed there.

Then, I loaded up GPARTED and there were in fact 5 partitions created by the restore DVDs. Boot, EFI, OS, Data, and Recovery.

I then "created a partition table" within GPARTED to clear everything the restore DVDs created....and NOW upon reboot the drive is listed in the BIOS, and when I hit ESC it is listed there as well...

wtf ?!?!?!?!?!

Any ideas....I am about to give up.

Cecil_2099
02-20-2013, 03:40 AM
According to post #142 of this thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16557-Step-by-Step-Using-ASUS-Recovery-DVDs-to-Restore-G75&p=194876&viewfull=1#post194876) it looks like the latest BIOS is the culprit. If I remember correctly there's a way to restore the original BIOS. You'll have to search around on the forums for it. You can try restoring the original BIOS or an earlier one (before 22X) and see if you get results.

dkolacz
02-20-2013, 09:20 PM
Ah, that must be it...thanks....I am reluctant to try the BIOS downgrade since it seems many people end up with bricked machines after messing with BIOS changes. Is it 100% safe to do the BIOS changes from within the BIOS itself? Is WinFlash the culprit in the vast majority of problem cases?

I called Asus support and they offered to give 25% discount on the recovery DVDs. I pleaded my case that I should pay $0.00 since it was broken out of the box, but no go.

Cecil_2099
02-23-2013, 08:44 AM
Don't use WinFlash. More machines get bricked from using it.

Don't bother with the ASUS recovery DVDs. You won't believe how many PMs I get from other users reporting they don't work.

UnAimed
02-24-2013, 06:22 PM
Could anybody tell me if it is possible to create a Recovery DVD for the Asus G55VW? I have not found any information regarding this. From what I understand this is only for the G75VW and the G55VW has a recovery partition instead?

dkolacz
02-28-2013, 01:35 AM
Just wanted to chime in and say that I have finally got a set of recovery disks created for 1 TB drive.

the key is BIOS 210 if you are having problems as per post 142 in this thread....I took a gamble and Winflashed to 210 with the /nodate switch....after that, everything worked as advertised.

thanks to the OP and all responses!

lilocowboy
05-05-2013, 05:18 PM
I did everything you said in here and all is well until the 3rd disk is complete. I get the message, "Successfully restored the disk from the ASUS Recovery DVD/BD. Elapsed time: 00:XX:XX". Click 'OK'.

Step 13: The computer will restart and you'll get another black "Windows is loading files..." screen.

Step 14: Windows will start and you will get a DOS screen followed by an "ASUS Preload Wizard" dialogue that asks you to select your language to continue. Pick your language and click the 'Next >' button.

The problem I am having is that the DOS window shows up and then disappears. All I am left with is the background image. I even let it set over night and it was still there when I looked the next morning. I have used these disks before because there were things I did not like how it was working, And recently I wanted to just re-image it again to get a fresh start. But now I am left with a laptop that will not boot to windows. I need my computer in the next two weeks so I can communicate with my family while I am away but as of now I can not. Can you help me?

dstrakele
05-05-2013, 07:21 PM
1) What is the complete model# of your laptop?

2) What Windows version shipped with your laptop?

3)What BIOS version is currently installed?
In your post, it sounds like this set of Recovery Disks worked for you in the past. If that is true, I'd suspect you have a BIOS issue.

aname33
05-05-2013, 08:09 PM
I have a ASUS g75vw bbk5. I am going to attempt to put int a SSD (Intel 335 series 240 GB) for my operating system and another HHD (Seagate Momentus 7200 750 GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s) in the other slot for storage.

My issues so far:

I have looked for the latest version of "AI recovery" but I can't find anything on ASUS website (with some research i discovered they took it of the website due to WIN 8 coming out). when I check the version of the "AI recovery" that came with my machine, it states it is ver. 1.0.24.0. I found this info when i right click the "AIRecoveryBurner" exe. file, and the "AIRecoveryRemind" exe. file. I found both of these by following this path: C: > program files (x86) > ASUS > AI Recovery.

So my first question is will this version work in regards to transferring the operating system to my new SSD?

When I asked ASUS where to find the latest version, they told me it was not available and I should create a system image as well as a system repair disk in order to achieve what i want to do. I have not found any forums about using "system image" to reinstall an operating system on a SSD. Therefore I am a little hesitant to trust this method.

my second question is in regards to the second HHD i want to install in the machine. Can I utilize it to create the image for the original hard drive, remove the original, install the ssd and then use the image on the new HDD to restore the C: drive. To clarify I would install the new HHD(NEW) create image on (NEW), remove the original HHD that came with the machine, install the SSD and use the image on (NEW) to transfer the C: drive image from the Original drive to the SSD. I hope that makes sense.

I have very little experience in such things, but I am confident that I can do it if the checklist provided in this forum will work with my AI recovery software. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

lilocowboy
05-05-2013, 11:06 PM
1) What is the complete model# of your laptop?

2) What Windows version shipped with your laptop?

3)What BIOS version is currently installed?
In your post, it sounds like this set of Recovery Disks worked for you in the past. If that is true, I'd suspect you have a BIOS issue.

1) G73JH

2) Windows 7 Home Pro

3) VBIOS version: 012.017.000.004.0359.A33G

If it is a BIOS issue how would I update it?

dstrakele
05-05-2013, 11:14 PM
From your model#, I don't believe you have a BIOS issue.

1) Did these Recovery Disks previously succeed in restoring your system?

2) What happens if you press F9 at startup to enter ASUS Factory Recovery?

pka4916
05-05-2013, 11:32 PM
I have a G75Vx with window 8 and 1 Tb HD,
F9 does not work, I do not get the ASUS Recovery setup. I have to do it through windows 8.
Does this program alow me to create a backup set from the hidden Partition ??
Also from reading, they removed the program from the site..
Is it elsewhere available ?

pka4916
05-06-2013, 12:33 AM
ok, found 1.0.25 version and installed.. but keeps coming up with no hidden partition found.
I tried the changehd.exe file as admin in the folder, but does not work either.
any other suggestions?
I did disable my 2nd HDD in the Bios. so that it's only seeing 1 HDD

lilocowboy
05-06-2013, 01:21 AM
I used them months ago and they worked. Some things were not working like I wanted so I wanted to re-image it one more time. I was going to post a pic but it is not loading. But here is the message I got.

"Successfully restored the disk from the ASUS Recovery DVD. Elapsed Time : 00:54:39"

Then I click ok. Then the bar at the bottom "Windows is loading files..." I see the Windows Logo (like it is loading the screen). Then the DOS windows pops up but there is nothing in the DOS window. It goes away and nothing else happens. I have let it set for hours and nothing. I am SO lost at what to do. I REALLY need my laptop while I am away from home.

dstrakele
05-06-2013, 01:56 AM
When you perform a Recovery from DVD, I believe it creates the hidden ASUS Factory Recovery partition on the HDD, unless you specifically choose not to. Pressing F9 at startup initiates the ASUS Factory Recovery from this hidden partition. It sounds like the hidden partition may have been successfully created. That's why I asked if pressing F9 at startup starts the Recovery.

If pressing F9 at startup fails, I recommend using another computer to download the Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit w/SP1 ISO file from the Digital River website, burn it to a DVD to create a Windows 7 installation disk, use that disk to install Windows to your laptop, install the ASUS ATK Package and device drivers, then use the Windows 7 serial number on the label on the bottom of your laptop to activate the new Windows installation.

It may also be possible the Recovery from DVD failed because your HDD is failing. You may need to create a CD with your HDD manufacturer's proprietary disk diagnostic utility to test the health of your HDD.

lilocowboy
05-06-2013, 03:30 AM
Can you post of message me the link at Digital River?

dstrakele
05-06-2013, 04:46 AM
See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?23944-Windows-7-ISO-any-available.

As an example, if you wanted Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 English, you would choose http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-24209.iso

cfa86
07-23-2013, 04:58 AM
Hi everybody,

I have a big issue in recovering my G75VW with HDD 750 GB.

My bios version is 223.

I have been trying to recover the HDD by using Recovery DVDs (Windows 7), but at step 13 I got "Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key".

Looking into bios, I can't see in the boot list my HDD.

Please, could someone help me with this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Le Beurrier
07-27-2013, 03:27 AM
Hello,

I had issue with the factory hard drive, got totaly corupted, so I wipe it out ! Bought same specs and size hard drive, and bought the DVD recovery Asus with Windows 7.

When I boot the laptop with the dvd, nothing happens, in the BIOS page, the DVD is in the 1 boot priority (tried with other boot disk, the dvd is working fine)

So I dedide to download an ISO Windows install and see what is different on the disk, I realise that there is no autorun file on the asus recovery disk (so it wont boot) and there is no setup file or AI Asus setup file(what the autorun is supposed fo assign macros)

Can Someone help me:
-What is missing on my DVD recovery disk ASUS windows 7 (Bought online on asus estore) ? List of content bellow:
-Can someone copy/paste the code in the autorun file so the disk will be bootable.

Folder:
-BOOT
-EFI
-SOURCE

Files:
-ASUS.md5
-ASUS.SWM
-BOOTMGR

Thanks !

Le Beurrier
07-27-2013, 03:49 AM
I forgot to say, The new hard drive was freshly formated, Active partition, NTFS...

therus000
10-10-2013, 01:57 PM
how can i have recovery dvd for my G46???

cl-Albert
10-10-2013, 07:47 PM
how can i have recovery dvd for my G46???

As mentioned in this sticky thread by rewben (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28758-GUIDE-G55-G75-Upgrade-Notes&country=&status=), if you still have the original ASUS Win8 image with recovery partition you can use the ASUS Backtracker software here (http://www.asus.com/supportonly/ASUS_Backtracker/#support_Download_36) to back up the factory image only (doesn't save any of your data, so be sure to back up anything else if necessary) to a USB drive, or you can also try to image your entire hard drive with third party software like Macrium Reflect.
Try to check your backups with a spare hard drive if possible to make sure they are working.

Hopefully these ideas are good enough, but they will not back up to DVD if it matters.

Ulises
10-22-2013, 06:47 PM
Cecil_2099, thanks for your very good guide!
I have the original SSD of 128Gb in my UX31E. After restoring from the original ASUS DVDs only got a black screen with the cursor blinking. F9 does not work.
Any suggestion? Thanks in advance

masoomeh
11-11-2013, 07:32 AM
hi i have notebook n61ja asus .. and my hard drive exchange because dosnot work good.. and i have recovery from last hard. i cant recovery and i have error
plz help mee
my error:
Failed to restore disk from the asus @recovery DVD.
Elapsed time:00:01:12
error code is :-3
why is return this error and how can solve it?:confused:
both hard drive have the same size.
tnx

juddyar
11-29-2013, 07:20 AM
Lost data on your ASUS due to deleted, virus-attacks, formatted, inaccessible or other unknown reasons, First of all, you need to stop using your computer to avoid overwrite your lost data. I Would like to suggest you, at this circumstance you should use best Hard Drive Recovery (http://recovery-transfer.com/about/data-recovery.html)Software or Hard Drive Recovery Mac (http://www.recovery-transfer.com/about/Data-Recovery-for-Mac.html) which will assist you to recover all hard drive data including MS office document, songs, pictures, images, video's and many more data by the help of Hard Drive Data Recovery Software, so that you can easily and completely retrieve data from physically damaged ASUS Hard Drive.

Yoda89
12-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Hello! I´ve been reading all of these posts trying to find a solution to my problem. I burned the recovery dvds using the old recovery AI i guess. Put the disks in and completed the recovery succesfully it says. However, when the part where windows install should start I get an error "Windows could not start.. etc etc.. Status: 0xc0000001. My computer is an Asus g75vw1031v with the 750Gb hdd. Any idea what I should do?

Taklimi
12-11-2013, 09:50 PM
Hi everyone,
I know that most of you have a lot of problems for migrating from preinstalled Windows 8 (HDD) to your new SSD in ASUS G75VW-AH71. I had it too and I think I solved it. This is the way that works for me and hope it will be useful for you guys too.
2. You need to have a Windows 8 (RTM) Build 9200 (32bit + 64bit) MSDN. Here is the link that you can download it by torrent.
Windows 8 (RTM) Build 9200 (32bit + 64bit) MSDN
Don’t worry about Serial number or anything. We use or serial number that comes with our laptop and it is legal.
3. Put this Windows 8 (RTM) Build 9200 (32bit + 64bit) MSDN DVD in DVD write.
4. Now you are ready for Process.
5. Remove the 750GB HDD from computer. (I am sure you can do it easily)
6. Install your New SSD in other place for hard in back of your laptop.
7. Now is the part that you should be careful: We should change BIOS and UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface)
8. Start computer and press Delete button many times to go to your BIOS screen.
9. Go to Advanced menu and then check SATA Configuration menu. Now you should see only your SSD and DVD Writer.
10. Now go back to Boot menu and disable Fast Boot.
11. Enable Lunch CSM.
12. Enable Lunch PXE OpROM.
13. In Boot Option #1 select DVD Writer.
14. Go to Security menu, and then select Secure Boot Control and Disable it. (Important)
15. Go to Save & Exit menu and click on Save Changes and Exit.
16. Now your system tries to install Windows 8 from DVD.
17. You should not have any problem with installation of DVD. It doesn’t require any Key for windows because the key of your original windows has been saved in system and it automatically add to your windows. Later when you connect to internet, the windows will be activated. (It is simple and you shouldn’t do anything)
18. After finishing Installation of Windows 8, you can download and install all software and drivers of ASUS G75VW from manufacture site. (Driver and Support Link)
19. Your process is finished now and you can enjoy your windows
20. For adding you other original 750GB Hard, you will go to your BIOS again and go to Save & Exit menu. Then select Restore Defaults and later select Save Changes and Exit.
21. Now check your windows again. Everything should work fine.
22. Shut Down the computer.
23. Remove Battery
24. Install your original 750GB Hard drive.
25. Put back the Battery.
26. Restart your Computer.
27. Now you should see your new hard drive in My Computer.

I didn’t delete or format my original 750GB hard, and base on that, I have the ability to Dual boot to my original preinstalled Windows 8 and my new one that I installed it in SSD. (Definitely I usually use my SSD one because it is extraordinarily fast near 5 sec for reaching to my Desktop screen!!!!!)

For selecting which OS boot first you should go to your BIOS and then Boot menu and under Boot Option Priorities, select Boot Option #1 and then select your OS from (SSD or HDD)

Fatmanandandthrobin
02-13-2014, 07:03 AM
Is there any way I can get an Asus recovery DVD?
My HDD was completely wiped trying to install Windows 8.1
Tried to clean install previous versions but it just sitting on the loading screen for an hour and then installation fails
Laptop is completely ruined after trying 8.1..
Hopefully I can get this thing reset to factory and reinstall Windows 8...

Thanks

cl-Albert
02-13-2014, 06:40 PM
If the Win8.1 installation failed and you aren't even able to install previous Windows versions anymore (that worked before?), it may even be possible that something in your hardware may have gone bad during the Win8.1 installation if you want to start considering this possibility.
You should not need to go back to the ASUS factory image before trying a clean install, or in other words, you should be able to do a clean install to a blank hard drive if all the hardware is working okay.

Before you start worrying about the hardware though, try to activate the recovery partition by either tapping 'F9' as soon as you power up, or booting to a Win8 repair disk if available to see if you can start the reset/recovery process (assuming you had the ASUS Win8 factory image originally).

Don't have too much hope for this, but if you have a Win8 installation disk, try deleting the partitions and reformatting the hard drive too before reinstalling.

Anyway, you may want to contact your local ASUS support through the following webpage about getting ASUS recovery disks, but currently we don't even sell notebook Win8 recovery disks in North America (notebook Win7 recovery disks are available though), so they may not be available in your region:
http://support.asus.com/Hotlines.aspx?SLanguage=en

If you're under still warranty though, consider getting your notebook to the ASUS service center to have the hardware checked and the software reinstalled.

Assuming the hardware is okay (which it may not be?), one more idea is to find somebody else with the same ASUS Win8 notebook model (like a local store?) and ask if they can use the ASUS Backtracker software to back up the Win8 image to a USB drive for you to try.
You can find more information about ASUS Backtracker at this sticky thread in the G750 section which will apply to all ASUS notebooks sold with Win8:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?40548-Backing-up-your-ASUS-factory-Win8-Recovery-Partition&country=&status=

If you are out-of-warranty and can do this safely, you might try swapping the hard drive (if you happen to have a spare drive?) just to check if this makes any difference and could be the problem, but it may not be.

Good luck!

ANdjelo100
04-04-2014, 09:06 PM
Since there seems to be a lot of confusion and mis-understanding on how to use the ASUS Recovery DVDs you burn by using the AI Recovery program to restore your computer to the "straight from the factory" state, I thought I should make a step-by-step guide to walk owners through it. So here goes:

If you haven't already, use the AI Recovery Utility (version 1.0.24 or newer, not the 1.0.23 version that comes shipped with the G75) to burn your ASUS Recovery DVDs. You should do this prior to uninstalling any and all "bloatware" and prior to reformatting/wiping/re-partitioning your hard drive. On a G75VW-BBK5 you will end up with three (3) DVDs.
A few notes/assumptions prior to starting:
- Your computer is off and no DVDs are in the optical drive.
- You have only one drive connected to the G75 on the right-hand drive bay (based on the drive caddy letter) and that is the drive you want to restore TO.
- It doesn't matter if the drive is an HDD or SSD and the size does not matter.
Start up your computer and immediately start hitting the 'Esc' key until you see the following screen appear:
Place the first ASUS Recovery DVD into your optical drive.
Select your optical drive (on my G75VW-BBK5 that is the HL-DT-ST drive) and hit 'Enter' key.
You will get a black screen with the words "Windows is loading files..." at the bottom with a grey bar at the bottom that will fill white:
Windows will load and you will get a dialogue box titled "AI RECOVERY" saying "Are you ready to restore this image?" Click the 'OK' button.
You will get another "AI RECOVERY" dialogue box, this time telling you "Restoring will overwrite your hard drive. Do you want to continue?" Click the 'OK' button.
If you are using the ASUS Recovery DVDs to restore onto a new hard drive, you may get another "AI RECOVERY" dialogue box saying "Your disk layout has been changed. AI Recovery needs to partition your disk again. You will lost all your data in your disk if you continue with the data recovery operation." Click the 'OK' button.
Otherwise you will see an "AI Recovery Restore" dialogue box that says "This DVD/BD will help you recover hidden partition. Check the AC adapter connection and do not interrupt the restoration process." This will have a progress indicator.
The computer will automatically eject the first DVD and prompt you to insert the second DVD and later the third DVD.
When that is complete, the last DVD will eject and an "AI RECOVERY" dialogue box will tell you that it "Successfully restored the disk from the ASUS Recovery DVD/BD. Elapsed time: 00:XX:XX". Click 'OK'. (It took me 00:43:23 (43 minutes) to restore the recovery partition.)
The computer will restart and you'll get another black "Windows is loading files..." screen.
Windows will start and you will get a DOS screen followed by an "ASUS Preload Wizard" dialogue that asks you to select your language to continue. Pick your language and click the 'Next >' button.
On the next screen you can choose whichever option you feel is best.
Click 'Finish' to start the process.
This is where you leave the computer alone. You will see a series of DOS screens and the computer will restart itself at least 6 times. Whatever you do, do not interact with the computer. It doesn't matter if it prompts you for something or restarts on its own. Leave it alone to finish everything.
When you see the following screen, you know the recovery process has completed successfully.
Congratulations, your G75 is now back to it's factory-like condition.
So in total it took about 1.5 hours to complete (43 minutes to recreate the recovery partition from the DVDs and another 50 minutes to restore back to factory state).

I hope this helps clear up the process!

Update: After serious testing across multiple G75VW users, we can confirm that the ASUS Recovery DVDs do NOT work on 1TB drives (regardless of manufacturer) if they are burned with the base AI Recovery Utility version that ships with the G75VWs. Make sure you install the latest version (1.0.24) BEFORE creating your Recovery DVDs.
HELP PLEASE!!!! I have one big problem i turned off computer by force during 19. step and now I can't run ASUS Preload Wizard pressing f9. I did everything: formated 100% both HDD, intalled again recovery partition using asus recovery disks, went to service nothing, asked of forums nothing helped. Can you please tell me what to do. I am desperate about this laptop and have this problem for about 1,5 year and want to throw this laptop to garbage. Please help

GottiBoi55
04-05-2014, 12:42 AM
What you need to do is just run the AI Recovery disk set over again.
Just let it run till it's finished, this will take at lease one to one and a haft hours to complete.
You should be just fine, if you used the latest version (1.0.28) of the AI Recovery Burner to burn your recovery set. (better than Version1.0.24)
There's a problem with older verions of the AI Recovery, they won't make a working copy with drives over 500 GB.
Use this latest AI Recovery Burner Version1.0.28 (http://nbtsd.asustreiber.de/Tools/AiRecovery_V1.0.28.zip)
Here's a Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMlsfk10PUA) video showing how it's done, about 1/3 of the way of this video (4:55 min) will show you the AI Recovery Disk process.

Hope this will help?

PS: I did this procedure a couple of times without a problem, you just need to be patient, and let run!
After all done, just delete all bloatware IMO.

ANdjelo100
04-05-2014, 03:49 PM
What you need to do is just run the AI Recovery disk set over again.
Just let it run till it's finished, this will take at lease one to one and a haft hours to complete.
You should be just fine, if you used the latest version (1.0.28) of the AI Recovery Burner to burn your recovery set. (better than Version1.0.24)
There's a problem with older verions of the AI Recovery, they won't make a working copy with drives over 500 GB.
Use this latest AI Recovery Burner Version1.0.28 (http://nbtsd.asustreiber.de/Tools/AiRecovery_V1.0.28.zip)
Here's a Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMlsfk10PUA) video showing how it's done, about 1/3 of the way of this video (4:55 min) will show you the AI Recovery Disk process.

Hope this will help?

PS: I did this procedure a couple of times without a problem, you just need to be patient, and let run!
After all done, just delete all bloatware IMO.

I run 5 recovery discs 56 times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and trying to format HDD tryed new HDD with 250gb try ssd tryed f9, tryed to throw it from window, tred service but nothing worked, even service don't know the answer. I want only one answer how tu run f9, and that is all. I checked HDD and there are X partition, C(recovery), D,E (blank), and saw that there's setup icon with windows insall icon on X partition but I can't run it using f9. I think I need to program the f9 button again to open f9 or something like that, but I don't konow how.

GottiBoi55
04-07-2014, 12:32 AM
I had the same problem trying to recover to the stock 750GB drive with the old "AI Recovery" version.

what you need to do
1. wipe a spare 500GB drive first clean
2. Don't format the drive (let the AI Recover DVD set do that for you)
3. Insert the AI Recovery Set, then follow the on screen instructions

Had to recover to a spare 500GB drive first, then install the updated new version of AI recovery (1.0.28)
(because the old version won't recover to a drive over 500GB)
Then I needed to create a "new set" of the AI Recovery disc on the 500GB drive, only after doing all that was I able to recover to the stock 750GB drive with the new AI Recovery.

You need to the same as above to Recovery to the factory drive, wipe drive clean first and do not format drive, and let the 'new AI Recovery set" do all that for you.
This did the trick for me, hopefully this will work for you.

X_Splinter
05-07-2014, 08:20 PM
Mine fail on Step 13. AFter saying recovery was sucefully done it wont boot. The Pc fails to find any boot manager on the hdd

ssinha
09-07-2014, 06:24 AM
i've tried everything from upgrading the AI Recovery and BIOS and burning DVD's before and after upgrading but the problem remains with HDD bigger the 500GB, the DVD's work with HDD's less than 500 GB's but whenever I try to restore to a new HDD or SSD bigger than 500 GB same old problem. I do not want to do a clean install and loose all the asus driver and date and the OS. In there no solution to this mayhem.

Clintlgm
09-07-2014, 03:38 PM
i've tried everything from upgrading the AI Recovery and BIOS and burning DVD's before and after upgrading but the problem remains with HDD bigger the 500GB, the DVD's work with HDD's less than 500 GB's but whenever I try to restore to a new HDD or SSD bigger than 500 GB same old problem. I do not want to do a clean install and loose all the asus driver and date and the OS. In there no solution to this mayhem.

Yes the best way to solve you issue is to clean Install you can get the 7 Home Premium SP 1 (http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/)

You will download your drivers from Asus Support Downloads (http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1)here

See Rewben sticky thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28758-GUIDE-G55-G75-Upgrade-Notes&country=&status=)for guides and infor on how to accomplish this.

Of course you have already backed up your data.

So save yourself a lot of aggravation and just do it. Win 7 clean installs are just to easy and the results so great that there is really no reason not to do it this way.

MHO :rolleyes:

GottiBoi55
09-08-2014, 11:54 PM

You need to re-burn the AI Recovery set with this AI Recovery Burner Version1.0.28 (http://nbtsd.asustreiber.de/Tools/AiRecovery_V1.0.28.zip)

1. First rur the "old AI set" on a un-fornatted/unallocated 500 GB drive or less (You will have a working OS, and a rebuilt recovery partition once all is done)
2. Now install the AI Recovery Burner V1.0.28 from link above. (This version will work on drives over 500 GB, and SSDs)
3. Now burn a "new AI Recovery Disk set" (4 disks in all)
4. Remove the 500 GB drive, then replace with your factory 750 GB drive that's un-formatted/unallocated , or a un-formatted/unallocated SSD drive. (SSD in my case)
5. Place the first new AI Recovery disk, and follow the step by step instructions (note: make sure that's the only drive installed)

I done this procedure above, it totally works!!!!

Here's a YouTube video showing how it works (Look at 5:30 minutes into video)>>>>>Asus G75VW SSD/HDD Installation Tutorial
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMlsfk10PUA)

3dcal
09-09-2014, 09:05 AM
Hi,
I have a G73 JH (Win 7 Home Premium, 12gb ram, 576gb HD, 232gb 2nd HD, original bios)
.....no problems, but want to be ready just in case.

I created the 3 disk Recovery DVDs using the AI Utility that came with the laptop (2010), and the Repair Disk
using the Windows 7 utility.

On page 1 of this thread, post#8, dstrakele said:

Does this back up just the OS and/or Documents & Settings?
Or does it make a copy of the Data files?
Is this considered a "clone"?

I've used EZMigration (http://ezmigration-software.en.softonic.com/) on an older HP laptop no problem, except after a certain number of cycles, Windows said it might not be an authentic copy, and some apps needed to be re-registered (not re-installed).
I was planning to do the same for the G73 and keep the clone as a spare, just as an alternative in case the Recovery DVDs don't work.

What about other apps for incremental and/or differential backups, e.g. AOMEI or Ease Todo (http://www.backupreview.com/backup-software-comparison/) Backup? (both free)

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
Thanks! :)

GottiBoi55
09-09-2014, 11:26 PM
Hi,
I have a G73 JH (Win 7 Home Premium, 12gb ram, 576gb HD, 232gb 2nd HD, original bios)
.....no problems, but want to be ready just in case.

I created the 3 disk Recovery DVDs using the AI Utility that came with the laptop (2010), and the Repair Disk
using the Windows 7 utility.

On page 1 of this thread, post#8, dstrakele said:

Does this back up just the OS and/or Documents & Settings?
Or does it make a copy of the Data files?
Is this considered a "clone"?

I've used EZMigration (http://ezmigration-software.en.softonic.com/) on an older HP laptop no problem, except after a certain number of cycles, Windows said it might not be an authentic copy, and some apps needed to be re-registered (not re-installed).
I was planning to do the same for the G73 and keep the clone as a spare, just as an alternative in case the Recovery DVDs don't work.

What about other apps for incremental and/or differential backups, e.g. AOMEI or Ease Todo (http://www.backupreview.com/backup-software-comparison/) Backup? (both free)

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
Thanks! :)

The AI Recovery Disk Set will "Rebuild" the recovery partition, and restore you OS in case a catastrophic failure of the hard drive, or a corrupted hard drive.
Good thing you created your "AI Set", if you ever need to recover the HDD (or a new drive), or even install to a new SSD .
I used my AT Recovery Set to install to my SSD on my G75VW/w7 model, it worked like a charm without a problem
I even made a few f9 recoveries without any problems what so ever!
So if you ever want to install a new SSD, you should give it a try.

Note: The AI Recovery Set will "not" backup any Documents, or any Data, so you should make regular backups on another HDD, or on an external HDD (The process will wipe your drive clean)

Now for "Cloning" you whole HDD, you can use this program>>>>>>Macrium Reflect free (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx)
Very good cloning software, and many here on the forum has used it with great success when cloning to a SSD.

Hope this is of some help to you my friend?

3dcal
09-10-2014, 12:26 AM
Thanks GottiBoi55. :)
I just can't use the AI Recovery DVDs on a >=500gb drive, right? (without using the latest version of AI)

I'm still fuzzy about the "Windows System Image with Windows Backup and Restore."
What does that do? Supposedly it keeps you from having to re-install apps?

re: Macrium Reflect......yes, I saw that in an earlier post by someone else. I've used EZ Migration,
but will check out Macrium to see if it's better.

Cloning works great, at least a few times, and good to keep a cloned HD handy, just in case the
Recovery DVDs don't work.

OR.....maybe I should use the AI DVDs on a new HD instead of cloning it?
What's the best strategy?

GottiBoi55
09-10-2014, 02:31 AM
The AI Recovery Disk Set you created should work, test your AI DVDs on a new HDD if you like, what can it hurt?

The backup/restore function is for backing up all your files (IE: Picture, Music, Movie, and any other files you created)
You can set this function to auto backup files if you like, or you can manually run the backup procedure.

A system image is an exact copy of a drive.
By default, a system image includes the drivers required for Windows to run.
It also includes Windows and your system settings, programs, and files.
You can use a system image to restore the contents of your computer if your hard disk or computer ever stops working.
It's basically the same as cloning your drive.

3dcal
09-10-2014, 05:02 AM
The AI Recovery Disk Set you created should work, test your AI DVDs on a new HDD if you like, what can it hurt?
I just ordered a HGST Travelstar (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007YJIGPQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) 2.5-Inch 500GB 7200RPM SATA III 32MB Cache SATA 6Gbps for only $38 and will try it asap.

Thanks for the great help my friend. :)

GottiBoi55
09-11-2014, 02:14 AM
I just ordered a HGST Travelstar (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007YJIGPQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) 2.5-Inch 500GB 7200RPM SATA III 32MB Cache SATA 6Gbps for only $38 and will try it asap.

Thanks for the great help my friend. :)

Sounds like a plan, that's a good price for the HDD.
Good luck my friend.

matthma_berl
09-27-2014, 11:30 AM
One additional question to the formatting when recovery is done by DVD (on Win 7). The harddisk is formatted in mid-level-mode (overwriting with zeros)? Or may it be possible to restore any data afterwards? Thanks in advance and regards.

jasonmc
05-25-2015, 12:18 AM
Hi ther my question if any 1 can help is that wen I first bought my g75vw 3 years ago, I made the recovery disk the ai ones and they seem to work at the time but I just found your how to video, and I realized I never locked my seconded drive? I have 2 sets of 8 disk all up the ai recovery disk that is, I don't no why but after I made the first 4 disk the ai poped up againg and told me I should make a copy of the ai disk so I made more! now I tried to test run 2 see if they would work but I cant seem 2 get them to work like you show in your video? if I was 2 make new set of ai disk? would they still bring my g75vw back to factory state or not? please help me out.

GottiBoi55
05-25-2015, 02:20 AM
Hi ther my question if any 1 can help is that wen I first bought my g75vw 3 years ago, I made the recovery disk the ai ones and they seem to work at the time but I just found your how to video, and I realized I never locked my seconded drive? I have 2 sets of 8 disk all up the ai recovery disk that is, I don't no why but after I made the first 4 disk the ai poped up againg and told me I should make a copy of the ai disk so I made more! now I tried to test run 2 see if they would work but I cant seem 2 get them to work like you show in your video? if I was 2 make new set of ai disk? would they still bring my g75vw back to factory state or not? please help me out.

Hi jasonmc,
Is your G75VW still have the "factory installed OS, with the recovery partition intact?
You will only need to lock down the second (Data) drive when you plan on performing a " f9 Recovery" process.
Have you tried the f9 recovery at start up?
You may, or may not be able to recover back to factory out of the box with you AI Recovery Disk Set.
That all depends on the version you used, the one that came installed from factory would only work on 500 GB drives or less.
But this version 1.0.28 (see link below for download) will work on larger drives, needless to say Asus messed up, didn't test on larger drives.
I found this out the hard way, long story short, luckily I had a 500 GB drive to recovery too, then installed version 1.0.28 an made a new AI Recovery Disk Set so I could use on the factory installed 750 GB drive.
If that's the case with you, you will need to recover to a 500 GB drive, or less, then install the 1.0.28 version of the AI Recovery disk burner to that drive so you can make a third set that will work for you.

AI Recovery Burner Version1.0.28 Download (http://nbtsd.asustreiber.de/Tools/AiRecovery_V1.0.28.zip)

Hope this helps you my friend?

PS: Note: you can also use the AI Recovery Set and install to a new SSD, see earlier post above on that topic with video link on how to do so.

jasonmc
05-26-2015, 07:53 AM
Hi GOTTIBoi55, last night I put the ai disk in and every thing whent fine! ;) luckey 4 me it was the right driver 1.0.24 and not the 1.0.23 now I have brought it back 2 factory fresh again! I didn't think I could manage but thanx 2 the rog website! its done thanx again 4 answering me, away I have 1 more thing, I would like 2 find out! can I make my system work in raid 0 with out the windows disk? and can I create a raid 0 array at anytime or do you only do that when you are formatting windows or installing windows? any advice would be grate!...

GottiBoi55
05-30-2015, 03:21 PM
Hi GOTTIBoi55, last night I put the ai disk in and every thing whent fine! ;) luckey 4 me it was the right driver 1.0.24 and not the 1.0.23 now I have brought it back 2 factory fresh again! I didn't think I could manage but thanx 2 the rog website! its done thanx again 4 answering me, away I have 1 more thing, I would like 2 find out! can I make my system work in raid 0 with out the windows disk? and can I create a raid 0 array at anytime or do you only do that when you are formatting windows or installing windows? any advice would be grate!...

Check out this 2 part youtube series on RAID0 for the G75VW (Links below), will show you how to setup the RAID configuration on your G75VW.

Asus G75V SSD Raid 0 Set Up - How To. Part 1 (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDkQtwIwAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DZsp nkARi0X0&ei=VtBpVfrrBISrggSMt4DYCg&usg=AFQjCNGjw-S3NnMRKY77ClluyGghAgmqZw&bvm=bv.94455598,d.eXY)

Asus G75VW SSD Raid 0 Set Up / OS - How To. Part 2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpfau0sLK4U)

sk33967
06-04-2015, 08:27 PM
Thanks but this does not help with my G50 I bought in 2011 The recovery discs worked in the past. Today I go to use as I boot the laptop up and it says insert boot disc. I have 2 of them part 1 and part 2 It asks what to recover and it starts, 2 seconds later, there is a huge RED lettered ERROR filling the screen. This never happened before. I can'r seem to find any help. The laptop was working fine until this morning.

Clintlgm
06-04-2015, 09:41 PM
If you sure you hardware is all good you may have to clean Install. Get your hardware drivers Asus Support Downloads (http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1)

Win 7 iso here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery

It appears your DVD's are no good anymore, Your boot drive could have died, you can boot and hit the Esc key to get a boot menu see if your OS drive is still there. I would pull the hard drive and put in on another machine and test it with the manufactures diagnostic tool. You find that on there web page.

A.Al-Qadasi
07-01-2015, 08:59 AM
Hey everyone
I bought ASUS ROG G750JS, but i forgot to make a backup image. Now my laptop is not working properly and the recovery media is gove from the HDD, may anyone provide me with a his recovery dvd or sth that i can download plz.

Thanks for assistance in advance

Clintlgm
07-01-2015, 04:18 PM
You will have to clean install, Get your ISO Here (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media) Asus Support Downloads (http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1) to down load all the latest hardware drivers and Asus Software. If you need a step by step to install look here on the window 8 forum (http://www.eightforums.com/gtsearch.php?cx=partner-pub-7156303416008077%3A205v6qk06j2&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=Install+UEFI) be sure to download the version your have factory install Core, Pro or single language and your embedded key will auto activate for you. You don't need to know what your product key is http://www.eightforums.com/gtsearch.php?cx=partner-pub-7156303416008077%3A205v6qk06j2&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=activate+with+oem+key&siteurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eightforums.com%2Fwindows-8-forums%2F

deejayce09
08-12-2015, 07:41 PM
What if my PC takes mora than 6 times over the proces at number 19??

deejayce09
08-12-2015, 07:51 PM
I am stuck on the proces number 19
How can I fix it?
I am doing this in a 240gb SSD

deejayce09
08-12-2015, 08:02 PM
I am stuck in the turning on and off and has taken for a long time doing the same and it doesn't show that it is completely done
I'm doing it on a ssd of 240gb

Cecil_2099
08-13-2015, 11:53 PM
At process #19 it restarts at LEAST 6 times. Just leave it alone, go out, grab a coffee or watch a TV show or a movie. When you leave it alone it'll do its thing. If say you start it at night and it's still restarting by the time you wake up in the morning, then you may have a problem there.

spanishflyer
05-30-2017, 09:20 PM
I'm giving my g75vw to my son, so I tried to use the factory DVD's to restore the computer to the original state and followed the instructions I read on the first message of this thread. I removed the second HDD and used the 3 DVD's to carry out the task.

Problem is that it all went great till I finished and got the message that the installation had gone fine; problem is, when I removed the third DVD and restarted the computer, I got the message that I needed a proper Boot device, so my drive C: was not recognized and the only option I had was the CD-DVD drive. This means that it all went well till I got to section 13 of the instructions (on the first message of this thread). Problem is, I don't know where to go from here.

The drive I have is a 750 GB SSD, plus the other that I have removed temporarily which is a 750 GB HDD.

What do you suggest I do now?

Best regards,

Spanish Flyer

xeromist
05-31-2017, 04:00 PM
Were you previously booting from that drive? Is it possible that the other drive was your boot device?

If you upgraded it to Windows 10 you can wipe it and do a clean install from a Windows 10 iso image (download from Microsoft). Windows 10 will read the hardware and reactivate. That might be the quickest fix.

Julskey
05-31-2017, 11:32 PM
It could be that your Hard drive is not flagged active. You may have to boot to a hard disk partitioning software (example, powerquest partition magic, or any other bootable hard drive manaing software) and mark the hard drive (and/or partition) to be ACTIVE. Save and reboot.

McRom37
07-07-2017, 01:38 AM
Cecil_2099

Cecil_2099 ::i have A Question about the Asus Recovery DVDs, not working for 1TB HD: So if my 1TB HD dies, and want to replace it with a new one..its not going to work??? i heard this before.i to have the Asus G75VW=all the same specs as yours.so i will be asked out? if my HD breaks? what if i want to replace the HD that has 285GB with the Windows OS on it for a SSD 500GB Drive.and replace the secondHDD with the 1TB to a 750GB HD??? would that work? That sux, about the 1TB HD wont work, and you confirmed this? Please Reply and tell me my options, cuz i have the latest Version of AI Recovery its(1.0.24) But i did find the new one:( 1.0.28) BUT i dont know if it would be compatible?? its from the same modle system. So please let me know my options and what i can upgrade and what i cant.THANK YOU>FROM: McRom37