PDA

View Full Version : G73SW Freezing & Sound Looping Forcing Hard Reboot

Tuxedos
06-03-2012, 08:21 AM
I've been having a single but large issue with my laptop since I bought it about a year ago.

Description of the problem: Laptop freezes and loops a very short interval (few milliseconds) of robot noise through the speakers. Not able to use any keyboard commands or mouse movement. Results in a hard reboot. This problem only happens ingame. Games I've had the problem in are WoW, Rift, Fallout NV, Minecraft, LFD2, SWtOR, and D3.

Frequency: Very erratic, sometimes after 2 minutes of ingame play or up to 2 hours. I've been able to go for one 3 hour long session. This problem seemed to go away after a couple spurts (i.e. I would have this problem twice one day and then it would be clear sailing for a couple of weeks or more, then it would repeat.) Recently I've started a new game, Diablo 3, and the problem happens everytime I play. It varies from 2 minutes ingame to up to 2 hours.

Solutions Tried: Factory reset, Updating all drivers, reverting to older Nvidia drivers, monitoring temperatures, monitoring fan speeds, monitoring voltages, updating ATK, using Throttlestop to keep my Mhz at a constant rate, Memtest86, cleaning the dust out of my laptop (haven't taken it apart and looked at the innards though - afraid to mess something up), ran Furmark GPU stress test, and Intelburntest.

When I run Furmark in windowed mode my GPU gets to 70 degrees Celcius and then the freezing and noise happens, not sure what this means, since the temperatures of my GPU and everything else are well within normal parameters.

Theories: Need to replenish the thermal paste, Need to open up the machine and clear out the dust buried inside, possible software problem.

I have very limited knowledge of overclocking and especially the programs and directives that makes my laptop go vroom. Everything I've done thus far has been troubleshooting based on stuff I've read on this forum and countless others. Any help, insight, or recommendations are especially welcome (at this point if you told me that if I jumped out a window into a burning pit with my machine would fix the problem, I'd most definately do it.)

helios173
06-03-2012, 01:29 PM
I am actually having the EXACT same issue. Also happens with Mass Effect 3. I have opened my laptop up and checked for dust and such. All the fans are working as well. Checked all the cables to make sure they aren't lose (one was so was hoping that was it, but to no avail). The next guess was that the video card may be overheating. Was going to try to redo thermal paste and such. Not sure if I am wasting my time or not though.

dstrakele
06-03-2012, 01:31 PM
What do you mean by "Results in a hard reboot"? You need to reboot to recover from this issue or it will continue outside of games? OR the mini-freezes cause your system to restart unexpectedly?

Did this issue occur immediately after an ASUS Factory Restore and installing just one game to reproduce the issue?

What Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, Remote Access, or Disk Management software have you installed to this system? Drivers in these types of utility programs are the usual suspects in freezes and lockups.

DPC Latency may also cause this behavior. I recommend troubleshooting with DPC Latency Checker.

From your reported temperatures, it is highly UNLIKELY you have a thermal issue (unless it's your CPU that's overheating).

Do the partitions on your system (particularly the OS partition) have sufficient (25%) free space?

Tuxedos
06-03-2012, 02:01 PM
When I say results in a hard reboot I mean I can't do anything but manually restart the machine.

Yes, I tried factory reset and installing only WoW back in August, still reproduced the issue.

I use CCleaner, AVG, and Spybot S&D. Additionally, I finished a defrag last night and I have 400GB free on my C drive, I have not partitioned anything.

I'm running DPC Latency Checker as I type this, I'll return later to post the results.

dstrakele
06-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Were AVG and Spybot S&D missing from your "minimal" Factory Reset installation last August?

helios173
06-03-2012, 03:54 PM
I also use avg and everything else is basically what comes in windows. I have just the basic partitions that my laptop came with, got 200gig free in system partition and something like 400 gig free in data partition.

Tuxedo, does your laptop work perfectly fine after the hard reboot? With mine I have to wait up to a couple of minutes before it will give me visuals again.

dstrakele
06-03-2012, 10:08 PM
I did the DPC Latency Checker. Had red spikes all over the place. Once I disabled the video card they all went green. So... what does this mean?

It means your video driver is likely contributing to your issue. What version are you currently running?

helios173
06-03-2012, 10:11 PM
I'm not at my laptop at the moment. I updated the drivers to newest ones on nvidias site a few days ago in an attempt to fix this issue. First time I've updated the drivers since I've had the laptop. Ran issue free until about 2 months ago with original drivers.

helios173
06-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Should I try rolling drivers back a couple of versions?

helios173
06-04-2012, 01:38 AM
Nevermind... now I am just not getting any visuals at all. Shut it down normally, just getting it to boot up with a black screen now. Its done this before but normally it will start working after a few restarts. I'm guessing its probably a larger GPU issue in my case?

HavokD
06-04-2012, 04:47 AM
I had the same issues as you, I just ended RMA'ing the thing. It's been 5 weeks now and they are still fixing it. Last week it showed Repairing status in the RMA status inquiry webpage, and this wednesday it showed Waiting for parts again. I was confused since I had already waited 4 weeks for a mobo and gpu (yes, they told me those things had to be changed). It seems the new mobo became fubar (or arrived in that state) so they ordered a new one, so Im in the waiting game again...

helios173
06-04-2012, 01:12 PM
What's rma? Sorry its been a very long time since I've really owned a decent pc that I've worked on and am finding a lot has changed over the years...

helios173
06-04-2012, 02:20 PM
So you had to ship it in. See, you'll end up spending more on repairs than on the laptop. Mobo is like 400+ and GPU is like 400ish new. Plus shipping and labor... it'll be the cost of the laptop. Keep me posted on whats going on! If it ends up being really crazy expensive I'll just save for a new laptop. Annoyed that I spent 1,000 on a laptop to use for 6 months though. Not sure if I should risk another ROG laptop.

dstrakele
06-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Nevermind... now I am just not getting any visuals at all. Shut it down normally, just getting it to boot up with a black screen now. Its done this before but normally it will start working after a few restarts. I'm guessing its probably a larger GPU issue in my case?

Booting up to a black screen (completely different than the issue in the title of this thread) is usually a hardware issue from what I've read in this forum. Some resolve the issue temporarily by removing battery, peripherals, and power adapter, then pressing the Power On button for 30 seconds, plugging in the power adapter and booting. Others manipulate the laptop in some fashion to get video, pressing firmly on it in certain places, lifting it up by one corner, etc. In most cases, it requires repair work to resolve.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?11968-G73JH-Black-screen-( is a rare case where the user resolved the problem by disassembly and reseating components.

Tuxedos
06-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Just ran DPC Latency Test. With everything on it fails but when I turn off my Graphics Card it passes. Wondering if there is a fix?

dstrakele
06-04-2012, 08:02 PM
What version video driver are you currently running?

The fix is to install a different version driver and test if it improves DPC Latency over your current driver. This may involve backrevving to an earlier version video driver.

I recommend performing a clean install from Safe Mode for the best chance of success.

HavokD
06-04-2012, 09:59 PM
So you had to ship it in. See, you'll end up spending more on repairs than on the laptop. Mobo is like 400+ and GPU is like 400ish new. Plus shipping and labor... it'll be the cost of the laptop. Keep me posted on whats going on! If it ends up being really crazy expensive I'll just save for a new laptop. Annoyed that I spent 1,000 on a laptop to use for 6 months though. Not sure if I should risk another ROG laptop.

My laptop is under warranty, I still have around 1.5 years of warranty left. I only had to pay for the first shipping, and turn around shipping is paid by them.

Gruntkiller
06-05-2012, 01:56 AM
Same thing for me, except I own a G53JW. An ASUS rep told me to reset CMOS by deconnecting the battery and holding the power button. It worked for a while but now this problem is back and this fix isn't working. I've been trying to get a RMA for a month now and still no answers.

FelipeN
06-05-2012, 09:08 PM
I am running through the same problem. I also made a post about it:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?15582-G73SW-Diablo-3&country=&status=

2 days ago I ran some test. Here is the description of my test:

The freezing problem always happens when I try to run D3 or 3DMARK, but I started to get this problem right after install D3 in my computer.
So I uninstall D3 and ran 3DMARK like 4 time and I stopped having the freezing problem, than I Install again D3 and the first time I`ve tried to run 3DMARK the computer freezes again.
After that I uninstall again D3 and didn’t had the freezing problem.
So I think that the game installed in the computer is causing the freezing problem. I just couldn’t find an answer to make the computer stop freezing with the game installed.

With WOW the problem still happening but not so often.

helios173
06-05-2012, 09:11 PM
Thanks for all the feedback here! Mine seems to be running fairly stable as long as all I do is surf the web. So I'm just gonna work on saving up for a non Asus computer. After 6 months, even a refurb, shouldn't be totally unusable for its intended purpose. Will of course buy new from next company.