PDA

View Full Version : Video driver crashing, most stable video driver currently for g74sx?

frozenblwf
06-03-2012, 01:48 PM
Hello! I've been having some issues lately with my video driver crashing. What happens is that my screen will freeze, then go black, and usually when the video comes back up there are serious performance issues until I restart. I am basically only playing 3 games currently : Diablo 3, Call of Duty World at War and Swtor, both with my girlfriend. The occurs in all three games randomly.

I have tried various graphic settings but nothing seems to help. I'm not noticing any temperature problems either as I usually hover around 65-70 when things get really frenzied in the game, and temps are around that when the crashes occur.

I am using the most recent 301.42 drivers. Is there a more stable driver I can backtrack to?

G74sx

dstrakele
06-03-2012, 03:15 PM
You are experiencing Timeout Detection Recovery (TDR) errors. When the video driver stops responding for 2 seconds, Windows will reset the video adapter, resulting in the behavior you report.

However, the degraded performance you report afterwards sounds like your system is heading towards a System lockup. What Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, Remote Access, or Disk Management software have you installed to this system?

NVIDIA recommends using a clean install of 285.62 to attempt to resolve the TDR errors. I additionally recommend booting into Safe Mode to perform the clean NVIDIA driver install. This will disable other running drivers (such as antivirus) that may interfere with your video driver installation.

Boosted_R
06-03-2012, 05:53 PM
295.73..... tested by many on this forum with repeated success

frozenblwf
06-03-2012, 07:21 PM
You are experiencing Timeout Detection Recovery (TDR) errors. When the video driver stops responding for 2 seconds, Windows will reset the video adapter, resulting in the behavior you report.

However, the degraded performance you report afterwards sounds like your system is heading towards a System lockup. What Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, Remote Access, or Disk Management software have you installed to this system?

NVIDIA recommends using a clean install of 285.62 to attempt to resolve the TDR errors. I additionally recommend booting into Safe Mode to perform the clean NVIDIA driver install. This will doable other running drivers (such as antivirus) that may interfere with your video driver installation.

Right now the security bundle I'm using is Norton Internet Security, after a disastrous outing with Microsoft Antispyware. It encompasses firewall, anti malware, and antivirus. I don't have anything else stated.

I did what you suggested however. First I uninstalled the current drivers, booted into safe mode, ran driver sweeper, rebooted, ran ccleaner, rebooted, installed the 285.62 with clean install option, rebooted, and here I am. Unfortunately I havnt had time to test it as Ive been doing yard work since then.

frozenblwf
06-03-2012, 07:39 PM
It looks like the problem isn't fixed; the driver just crashed while I was browsing facebook. No games running

dstrakele
06-03-2012, 08:26 PM
You made a good effort to ensure a clean video driver installation. I suspect something else may be at work to cause your lockup problem.

1) Did you observe any changes in behavior of this recent crash compared to what you posted in your OP?

2) Completely uninstalling the Norton Suite would be my next suggested troubleshooting step. Microsoft Security Essentials (a different product from Microsoft AntiSpyware) could fill in for Antivirus duties while you test. If an alternate cause is found, you can then go back to NIS.

3) Do you see any Warnings or Errors in the System or Application Event Logs that may point to a troubleshooting direction? Check these logs from the point of lockup back to the System startup.

I recall a thread where a user reported lockups and it appeared like it may be an HDD problem - CHKDSK could not even complete. It turned out to be a hardware problem with the WiFi card. Once it was PHYSICALLY removed, the lockups stopped. Multiple Errors pointing to the defective WiFi card were observed in the System Event Log.