PDA

View Full Version : Would like some opinions, not sure if keeping G75

MIncan
06-04-2012, 12:33 AM
Well, I continually stumble upon little problems that make me question my $2000 purchase of the G75V.

-When I plug in the HDMI cable, the video quality is crap, and it disables my Wireless adapter, so I can't use the internet when I have it plugged into a TV. The audio goes out of sync and the video sometimes has glitches.
-The crappy sound problems everyone is having
-I couldn't get the bluetooth to work for the longest time (all these drivers included are mind boggling, took a lot of trial and error to get them right, i had to reformat to get rid of the incorrect duplicate Intel Bluetooth drivers.)
-When I call ASUS support, I frequently get reps simply hanging up on me after I describe my problem. This is UNACCEPTABLE!
-It says 3D ready but I did not receive any 3D glasses with the laptop and Ive read else where that the laptop screen itself is not 3D ready, just that it can connect to a 3DTV...
-I did not receive a gaming mouse
-The wireless adapter doesn't connect to 5G networks... and I payed 250$ for my Netgear router for the extra speed.
-No blu-ray

So, in your opinion, should I bring it back? I bought it from Staples in British Columbia, Canada.

Arktika
06-04-2012, 12:40 AM
And ask for another computer of the same type!

MIncan
06-04-2012, 12:49 AM
And ask for another computer of the same type!

Why the same type though? I want one with upgraded network adapter and a screen that is actually 3D with glasses (Even if I have to purchase them separately, does the G75 screen support 3D?) Also, the same type wont have a blu-ray and what guarantee that these same problems aren't native to the entire model right now? This sound business is pretty crazy, like the headphone and speakers dont isolate each other in the proper instance.

john_from_ohio
06-04-2012, 12:50 AM
Sounds like perhaps you bought a G75VW BBK5 ( or some other model/variation ) which as is well known ... not all of them are 3d capable.

Research what you are buying ... the specs ... the details ... the implications ... before you buy something.

What have you done exactly? Have you begun by swapping out the mcaffee?

MIncan
06-04-2012, 12:54 AM
WHat I dont understand is that Ive read the G75 has a 3D ready scree, comes with glasses, comes with gaming mouse, has a 250GB SSD and a 750GB HDD, and has the GeForce GTX 670M, and a blu-ray burner, dual band N

None of this makes sense. I have 2 500GB HDDs, 660M, no 3D glasses, no blu-ray, no dual band N.... Why are they totally different? There were no options given to me at the store. Are there different models of G75?

For the record, my receipt says its a G75VW-SS71... so are myspecs correct?

Holy
06-04-2012, 12:57 AM
for a 71 yes, what retailer?

3d ready screens are on the 73's (in the us different for other models that don't go by the 71/72/73 scaling.)

MIncan
06-04-2012, 01:01 AM
Staples was the retailer.

Oh, I also forgot, is there no software included to run the webcam?

And now it makes a whoosing sound every other second... like a disc was spinning and rubbing on something. Its getting very irritating.

Holy
06-04-2012, 01:22 AM
theres asus lifeframe/virtual camera if ya really wanted it.
in all reality can you go in and exchange for another and see if the video desync problems happens on that also?

btw the 72's have the ssd and 670m.

what price did you pay?

john_from_ohio
06-04-2012, 01:27 AM
WHat I dont understand is that Ive read the G75 has a 3D ready scree, comes with glasses, comes with gaming mouse, has a 250GB SSD and a 750GB HDD, and has the GeForce GTX 670M, and a blu-ray burner, dual band N

None of this makes sense. I have 2 500GB HDDs, 660M, no 3D glasses, no blu-ray, no dual band N.... Why are they totally different? There were no options given to me at the store. Are there different models of G75?

Lots of different models and options ... does Chevrolet have many different models?

MIncan
06-04-2012, 01:34 AM
theres asus lifeframe/virtual camera if ya really wanted it.
in all reality can you go in and exchange for another and see if the video desync problems happens on that also?

btw the 72's have the ssd and 670m.

what price did you pay?

Thanks. I paid 1960 altogether, the base price was 1,399, plus 350 for 2 yr repair/3 yr accidental insurance plan, and 210 for HST. This is the only model Staples carries so far as I know, and also the highest end laptop they carry, so I might be screwed here unless I can get a full refund, which I think I must do within 14 days.

MIncan
06-04-2012, 01:37 AM
Lots of different models and options ... does Chevrolet have many different models?

Chevrolet is a make, not a model. But yea I get your point as far as variations in models go, GT, GTX ,etc. I guess as far as getting the specs changed, I shouldn't expect that. I do however expect them to fix these issues with audio, video, wireless adapter, etc, and these annoying high pitched whirling sounds coming from it.

Holy
06-04-2012, 02:52 AM
the ase price of a ds71(default basicly) is 1650 i think. what staple did was take out the mouse(the backpack?), reduced the warrent from a 2year+1year accedental to a 1year+1year accedentl, and last exhcanged your 2x750gb drives for 2x500gb drives.

john_from_ohio
06-04-2012, 11:55 AM
Chevrolet is a make, not a model. But yea I get your point as far as variations in models go, GT, GTX ,etc.

If you are still within your exchange period ... take it back and research and figure out exactly what you "want" versus what you can afford.

The purchase price you paid is quite a bit to be surprised/unfamiliar with the feature set included.

Personally my G75VW is just a beast with only the minor issue of the subwoofer playing level not synchronizing with the overall sound level. You can still get a decent sound out of it but at this time only by manual tweaking ... for me not a big problem since I rarely will use built in speakers at all.

yixingchen
06-04-2012, 05:43 PM
I got a 3d asus g75 laptop. Came with glasses, mouse and backpack. I'm happy with it except for the sound issue. But other than that, can't complain. You should just reorder it if you like it.

MIncan
06-05-2012, 07:59 AM
Im ok with it now. i see i got what i paid for (the other models are all more expensive, i have the cheapest one) . i cant afford more.

Muskoka
06-06-2012, 01:50 AM
Just an FYI, as far as I know there will be no consumer devices that can use the higher speed of that router until sometime in 2013 - you can read about it here - http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/04/gigabit-wifi-80211ac-router-makes-it-possible-starting-in-may/

"As yet, you can't purchase any 802.11ac-compatible devices (phones, laptops, etc), but companies like Broadcom, Qualcomm, and Quantenna are manufacturing chips to make devices 802.11ac-compatible by the beginning of next year, when the IEEE expects to ratify the standard's specifications. Netgear's R6300 is backward compatible with older standards, but connecting devices won't see optimal performance without new chips.

The router will be available for consumer purchase in May, at a price of $199.99."

Also, I wouldn't buy computer equipment from Staples, they are primarily a Business and Office Supplies store (i.e. desks, chairs, paper, pens, etc..). Computers are not part of their core business, just an add-on, and they don't have a lot of expertise in that area.

I would try canadacomputers.ca next time.

Also I notice that you said you paid $350 for a two year repair plan? But Asus provides a 2 year warranty for these laptops if I'm not mistaken. You still may want to return it.

Canada Computers has a G75 for $1499 + tax, here:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=asus+g75&sid=tigobaj6hq5maeroj3dtr0lli1&x=0&y=0

The 3D model they sell is unfortunately $2099 + tax.

You can always buy the non-3D model and then down the road buy a 3D enabled monitor to plug the laptop into. All of the laptops have 3D capable video cards, just some of them don't have the necessary 120 Hz screens.

You could also check out newegg.ca (http://newegg.ca) and rbcomputing (http://www.shoprbc.com/ca/index.php), I would stay away from tigerdirect.ca because they have shady spec and sell a really "toned down" version of the G75 that looks like a scam to me, for $1399 I think.

MIncan
06-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Well yikes mine was 1399 but staples listed everything that is in it faithfully. No, my laptop only came with a 1 yr warranty from Asus, says so right on the laptop stickers and manual and such.

I'm happy with this model for the price I paid. I've upgraded from a 2007 HP Pavilion with an AMD Turion 64 dual core, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 256MB nVidia graphics, non-LED screen, 15"... so yea IM happy :D

oh, also, my screen is 120Hz, native Full HD resolution, and 3D ready card... so technically couldnt I purchase the glasses and it would work in theory or am I missing a big part of it?

Muskoka
06-08-2012, 05:00 AM
Yes, absolutely. If your monitor is 120Hz then you can buy the Nvidia 3D kit.

Something else that you need, and is part of their kit, is an IR (infrared) emitter that you can plug in via USB.

I didn't think that all the screens for all the G75 models were 120Hz though. I'm not sure how to check that.

AmazingFactory
06-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Get the full refund. Then you can relax and find a reliable laptop.