PDA

View Full Version : G74SX-A1 - Bios Upgrade

nnank76
06-04-2012, 11:36 PM
ASUS G74SX-A1 i7 3GB NVIDIA GTX 560M 17.3"

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Processor
Intel Core i7-2720QM Processor (2.20GHz - 3.30GHz, 6MB Intel Smart Cache)

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I bought my G74 last year in July and it's been running absolutely fine in everyway since. I only use it for games so it's pretty clean as far as software etc goes. Loaded steam, orgigin etc. There was an automatic update around February/March this year where it wanted to update the bios. So I have downloaded the bios update. I have also downloaded the winflash utility. I haven't flashed it though as I'm cautious about doing anything to ruin it. I do however get a message that pops up saying my bios doesn't match.

Since then I've noticed it runs a little slower and some things just don't work randomly.
- Such as the SD slot now doesn't work and won't read cards when they're put in (I'm assuming this is a driver/software related issue).
- I'm also getting a runtime error message at the log in screen at start up. (though still logs on)
- also failed to update the nvidia drivers through liveupdate

I have been considering rolling back to my back up or to update the bios. I've done some research (but being honest, when it comes to this sort of thing i'm a noob) and am not sure whether or not to update the bios again.

So after all that my question is should I update the bios?

Cheers

brecker
06-05-2012, 02:30 AM
whatever you decide to do, do not flash through winflash!! if you are going to update the bios put it on a fat32 formatted pen drive and do it from within the bios with easy flash

my first suggestion is that you uninstall asus live update asap

idk about your first concern, the second one would be helpfull if you wrote more details about the error, probably you are trying to load up a program in startup that is not there, maybe you got a virus, hit start write msconfig and check whatever loads on startup, and for the third one download the drivers directly from the nvidia website and install them doing a clean install

nnank76
06-05-2012, 06:15 AM
Thanks for coming back to me Breker.

After reading all the problems people have had after trying to flash the bios is the reason why i'm so cautious about doing it myself.

I guess the problems have come up since the bios error has come up. My question is do I need to update my bios? If I do will it fix the other issues?

As to the runtime error i'm at work so will look when i get home. From memory it's runtime error for winsys.32 or something. I'll double check tonight when I get home.

Is Asus LiveUpdate not good?

brecker
06-05-2012, 06:52 AM
i don't know if flashing a new bios will fix your issues, there is not much risk if you do it with easyflash and a fat32 pen drive, there are lots of bricks using winflash / easy flash with ntfs pen drives... may be you want to wait to see if someone that has more knowledge troubleshooting the sdcard gets back to you

my personal experience with asus liveupdate is bad... it will flash your bios from windows, which is risky, it will try to install outdated video drivers; in my case, over and over again, even though the driver i have running is the same it installed; and in my case as well, just before i uninnstalled it, it freezed every time it tried to perform an update...

if you look arround you will find tons of issues with this software... i even think i saw some people claiming it bricked their machines for flashing a new bios... which might actually be the same one it already had...

nnank76
06-05-2012, 08:58 AM
fair enough. my old laptop live update stopped working after a few months and this it hasn't really done anything until recently. Although it would be nice if it fixed the keyboard accuracy issue that happens. Nothing worse when in game you hit button, look away thinking a unit retreated and i didn't! It would be nice to get my SD slot working again.

If I was to update the bios, I can download the correct bios from the asus website, put it on a fat32 usb stick. then through easyflsh.

I just checked the runtime error on start up. I get a runtime error for C:\windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe which has apparently tried to close unusually.

Does anyone know what that error is?

OldNESJunkie
06-05-2012, 01:18 PM
nvvsvc.exe is a part of the Nvidia driver package, personally I would d/l the latest drivers, use a clean uninstall, then reinstall them.

dstrakele
06-05-2012, 03:55 PM
I would attempt Uninstalling, REBOOT, then reinstalling the Card Reader driver to revive it on your system. You can download it from a link in http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s&country=&status=#

PILGRIM
06-05-2012, 04:06 PM
I agree with dstrakele . Try fixing the card reader first before anything else.

dstrakele
06-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Here's what I did to resolve missing keystrokes on my G74SX-A1: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?3076-G74SX-Keyboard-Issues-ATK-1.0.00010-BIOS-202-Available-(SOLVED)&p=44735&viewfull=1#post44735

It will involve updating your BIOS to 203, so be sure to follow Brody's guide (http://rog.asus.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6201&d=1329792574) to the letter. Any error in flashing the BIOS will render your system unusable.

nnank76
06-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.

So what I will do is:
1. Attempt to fix the SD Card issue by doing a clean install with the new driver kindly given
2. Update to he new nvidia driver to fix the runtime error
3. follow the instructions to flash bios and other adjustments

I'll might not get to it till tomorrow night.

Another noob question - When you say clean install? I've seen it mentioned in a few threads, if I download a driver, use the set up etc is that what you mean or is there generally an option I should be looking out for?

dstrakele
06-05-2012, 09:25 PM
For an NVIDIA clean install, choose "Custom Install" and check the "Clean Install" checkbox. This will stop and remove your current NVIDIA driver version.

Don't forget to go to http://skycenter.arizona.edu/ to view the last transit of Venus for the next 105 years presented LIVE! It begins at approximately 3:00 PM MST.

nnank76
06-05-2012, 11:10 PM
Awesome. thanks for the advice. I'll try to get to this tomorrow night after work. I'll keep you posted.

nnank76
06-07-2012, 02:50 AM
just a quick question on the graphics driver - is this the one I should be updateing to?

nVidia 290.53 Verde Notebook Driver Beta

dstrakele
06-07-2012, 02:53 AM
Personally, I would probably choose 295.73. If you want the latest for gaming performance, you could try 301.42, but some users are reporting a resolution issue with that version.

nnank76
06-07-2012, 03:18 AM
cheers mate. Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it.

I couldn't see the 295.73 driver in the list on this site. I'm assuming I can just get it from the nvidea site?

dstrakele
06-07-2012, 03:27 AM
That is correct. You can get it from NVIDIA.

nnank76
06-08-2012, 02:52 AM
quick update

I ran the windows trouble shoot wizard and it fixed up thesd slot. It's now reading and working fine. saved me having to reinstall the driver.

I updated to the 301.42 driver from the nvidea site.
No problems so far. Increased DOW ii fps from 45 to 52. B3 running very smooth now with no black flashes which happened after updating using the live update thing (I've seen a few other threads with this).

I'll update the bios on the weekend. My usb flash drive has busted and the missus had kindly taken the others to work......