PDA

View Full Version : G55VW BRAND NEW BROKEN AFTER ASUS BIOS UPDATE-- warning to other users

dkottas
06-05-2012, 02:35 AM
Hi all,
I just bought a G55VW ASUS laptop.
I was tring to switch to legacy BIOS and disable EFI BIOS, so as to install Ubuntu.
To do so, I tried to upgrade the BIOS from 204 to 206 after downloading the BIOS upgrade tool and the new BIOS from ASUS webpage.
While the program was running, the laptop turned off ** by itself ** and now it does not even boot up.

If such a tool is destructive for the laptop then why it is posted at the official ASUS webpage as well as the ROG page?

Thank you

Holy
06-05-2012, 02:45 AM
YOU NEVER DO A BIOS UPDATE FROM WINDOWS.
majority of the bios brick because the don't do it from the BIOS easy flash.
Atleast have the common sense to look up the correct way to do it. or even post here first we could have guided ya through it.

dkottas
06-05-2012, 02:47 AM
I thought that since this tool is on ASUS webpage it is reliable.
Since the bios does not show up, RMA is needed, right?

Holy
06-05-2012, 02:56 AM
yes or return it to the retailer if you still within the time frame.

dkottas
06-05-2012, 02:58 AM
Thanks for your quick answer.
You are correct that the common sense dictates me asking @ the forum first. However, it is also common sense that a 1.5K machine should come with not-destructive firmware updates since we are in 2012 and not in 1982.
Thanks again.

Holy
06-05-2012, 03:02 AM
yea i have to agree but the thing you should pull out of this is don't flash bios from windows.

kiba
06-05-2012, 04:08 AM
always, always, always never flash from windows lolz.

Use a FAT32 formatted flash disk.

I'm sure this forum is full of posts from people who have done the same thing.

Holy
06-05-2012, 04:11 AM
yea Ive read many of them lol it.

electric0ant
06-05-2012, 08:13 AM
That being said I also flashed my G53 from asus easy flash with the BIOS ROM on a FAT32 usb stick and that still bricked the G53.

dstrakele
06-05-2012, 05:18 PM
It is possible that the BIOS ROM file was corrupt as downloaded or as copied to the Flash Drive. OR the Flash drive was not a single FAT32 partition. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees a BIOS flash will succeed with ANY method.

That is why you want to update the BIOS only to resolve an issue it was designed to fix that is confirmed on your system. There is no reason to update the BIOS to just have the most current version.

knight_killer
06-07-2012, 08:02 AM
Oh no!!! did the same and saw this thread to late.

blade3655
06-19-2012, 06:42 PM
I saw this thread too late too, bios 208 bricked my notebook. Any issue to resolve that ? CrashFree or an other thing?

Goor111
06-20-2012, 10:38 AM
What are you doing people? I updated my BIOS from 206 to 208 by using the WinFlash tool (in version 2.41.1) and everything works like a charm. I bet that you didnt close all programs running on behind and remember - DISABLE BLUETOOTH DEVICE. EVen this can (perhaps) lead to bad results.

EDIT: By the way... after BIOS update you can finally install the official touchpad drivers. *lol x]*

john_from_ohio
06-20-2012, 01:33 PM
What are you doing people? I updated my BIOS from 206 to 208 by using the WinFlash tool (in version 2.41.1) and everything works like a charm.

Always ... ALWAYS ... a bad idea to do this under windows when an option is available to do it directly from BIOS update utility.

Just because it may work for some under windows does not mean that it is reliable/consistent or a good idea. In fact it is a very very bad idea.

If your friends start playing russian roulette and someone hangs you the gun and says "no worries the last 5 people were just fine" ... you going to pull the trigger?

chrsplmr
06-20-2012, 02:29 PM
JohnFromOhio+ hahaha .. very well said .. Personally .. Im going to wonder what their wives are going to do
with their cars, bikes and computers .... when they are .. g o n e.

To those that are 'bricked' .. I would suggest PM'ing Mason@Asus and ask what can be done.
Be patient .. all will be done that can be I am sure of that.c.

_
06-21-2012, 03:55 AM
It is possible that the BIOS ROM file was corrupt as downloaded or as copied to the Flash Drive. OR the Flash drive was not a single FAT32 partition. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees a BIOS flash will succeed with ANY method.

That is why you want to update the BIOS only to resolve an issue it was designed to fix that is confirmed on your system. There is no reason to update the BIOS to just have the most current version.

This.

I am in the process of trying to arrange changelogs put on the site and to get WinFlash removed. Please use EZFlash2 from the BIOS itself.

We will write a guide on how to do this asap.

_
06-21-2012, 04:04 AM
Read this: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?17622-Had-a-bad-BIOS-flash-Read-this!

kiba
06-21-2012, 10:15 AM
That being said I also flashed my G53 from asus easy flash with the BIOS ROM on a FAT32 usb stick and that still bricked the G53.theres always a chance of bricking it even if you do everything right due to power going out, or the file got corrupted during download, etc...

waynes26
06-21-2012, 10:50 AM
This.

I am in the process of trying to arrange changelogs put on the site and to get WinFlash removed. Please use EZFlash2 from the BIOS itself.

We will write a guide on how to do this asap.

Change log would be fantastic for ALL new updates, at least we would be able to see what has been fixed in the release.

JednaPiroga
06-21-2012, 11:09 AM
I flashed my Bios on my G53SX from windows, no problem at all, after all they tell you to flash it with the tool. If it bricks than it is Asus fault isnt it?

john_from_ohio
06-21-2012, 12:08 PM
I flashed my Bios on my G53SX from windows, no problem at all, after all they tell you to flash it with the tool. If it bricks than it is Asus fault isnt it?

Assigning blame does not help much when you have a bricked machine and you need to use it but it has to be RMA'd ... better to educate yourself and others and avoid doing BIOS updates when running in windows.

_
06-28-2012, 02:36 AM
Right, so after talking to some people here the rate of return from using WinFlash is no significant attribution in our records, HOWEVER given the concerns, if you do have problems we want to track them as early as possible:

OS version
BIOS version (current and updating to)
Battery or mains power
Was any other program running at the same time?
An account of what exactly happened during/after the flash.
Any other info that might be worth noting about the situation.

With this info our engineers can attempt to replicate issues with specific scenarios.

dstrakele
06-28-2012, 02:58 AM
What about the "CTRL-HOME Failsafe" you referenced in post #17, Richard? Couldn't that help the OP?