PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G73JHRF-RBBX05 Motherboard dead

zen4life
06-05-2012, 06:48 PM
My motherboard is dead and I am looking to have it replaced. Two questions :

1) I have the browm (older?) version of the motherboard. I see there is a green (newer?) one as well. Does it matter which motherboard I purchase? Are they exactly compatible? Would the newer green one be better?

2) Does anyone know of a reputable place to purchase one of these?

Thanks!

brecker
06-05-2012, 07:21 PM
idk the answer to any of your questions,

but,

you positive its dead? how did it died? if you answer this two questions i could make some wild guesses to wether if its fixable or not... i repaired a few notebook motherboards in the past

zen4life
06-05-2012, 08:48 PM
Initially, it was having overheating problems. I took it into a local shop and they dismantled it and cleaned out all the gunk and then re-pasted. They also replaced a faulty hard drive.

When I got it back, it was having problems booting up and when it did, it would throw an unrecoverable hardware error. So I brought it back in. They thought it was either the video card or MB. They replaced the video card and that did not work. So, that is where we are. I tried to explain they may have damaged the MB during the initial repair but they mentioned it could also be from my after market power supply.

They will install a new MB at no charge, just need to buy one. So, what do you think?

brecker
06-05-2012, 11:00 PM
well they probably damaged something on the board... repairing it may be possible, but if they are covering the charges a new motherboard is a better option...

badly placed ram sometimes mess with booting, though i don't think a repair shop can make this mistake and not check for it...

zen4life
06-06-2012, 12:50 AM
So, do you think I should go for a brown one or the newer green one?

Also, do you know of a reputable place to purchase one?