PDA

View Full Version : My new G75V and it's speed

Addohm
06-06-2012, 03:42 AM
I love this thing. My only complaint is, I can instantly tell it's bottlenecked by it's 1TB 5400 RPM hard drive. I want to swap it out. I've looked through the documentation and the website, and have even googled around to see if others have done it. I can't find much.

I guess my question is, what hardware is the replacement for the HDD in this thing? A basic list of parts including PN and MN would be helpful so I can cross reference it to other parts. Sure would be nice to just stick my PC's SSD's in here :)

Thanks ahead!

Adam

Myk SilentShadow
06-06-2012, 03:50 AM
Uhhh you should have an SSD in your G75 already.....

Addohm
06-06-2012, 04:03 AM
Yes, I thought that to. I checked my model against what I find on the web, and see that it's "supposed" to have a GTX 670M and an SSD. I have a GTX 660M and a 1TB HDD. I don't know...

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G75VW/#specifications

You can see it comes several ways, including HDD's.

Addohm
06-06-2012, 04:51 AM
Does it accept basic 2.5" SSD's?

john_from_ohio
06-06-2012, 02:34 PM
It has 2 bays and mounting tray already included ( both sides ) ... yes any standard SSD should be fine. Lots of info here on the forum about installing an SSD ...

Cecil_2099
06-06-2012, 02:49 PM
It has 2 bays and mounting tray already included ( both sides ) ... yes any standard SSD should be fine. Lots of info here on the forum about installing an SSD ...

Like here for example:
SSD as primary HDD as storage (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16658-SSD-as-primary-HDD-as-storage)

Daylife
06-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Uhhh you should have an SSD in your G75 already.....

Uhhh no, he has the BB version.

Addohm
06-06-2012, 04:04 PM
I got everything I needed to know from this post. I wish I had read the "Important posts" thread to begin with now, lol. :rolleyes:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?14583-Upgrading-the-G75VW&country=&status=

I'm probably going to pull my two 120GB SSD's from my PC (which is currently out of comission) and stick them in the laptop under a RAID 0 config. Just have to figure out how to easily move the OS across the hardware without having to reinstall everything or download a massive DVD ISO file.

Addohm
06-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Like here for example:
SSD as primary HDD as storage (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16658-SSD-as-primary-HDD-as-storage)

I doubt I would want to do an SSD and an HDD. I feel like the ultimate speed is gotten from RAID 0 SSD. Drive space is a limiting factor and I am going to address that down the road.

Addohm
06-06-2012, 08:17 PM
I am having a hard time collecing any information on this. Does anyone know how vast the difference is, even more specific on our laptops, Raid 0 is versus SSD Primary HDD Secondary? I'm pretty sure I'd rather the Raid 0 but I don't want to dish out for additional drives :D

Holy
06-06-2012, 09:52 PM
i can input that as it stands im in a ssd Primary/ HDD secondary.
it works for me it boots in 30 seconds in most games if i restart while they are opened i can get back on before they register that i was offline.
i use my 750gb 7400rpm drive for storage and games i don't play often.

john_from_ohio
06-06-2012, 10:05 PM
I am having a hard time collecing any information on this. Does anyone know how vast the difference is, even more specific on our laptops, Raid 0 is versus SSD Primary HDD Secondary? I'm pretty sure I'd rather the Raid 0 but I don't want to dish out for additional drives :D

You might be just a little faster RAID 0 but probably so small a difference in regular usage that it would be un-noticeable to most all of us.

The only real reason ( in my mind ) to run RAID 0 on 2 ssds for a laptop is if you want more protection in case of total drive failure of one of them. Me I take backups and protect myself that way.

Addohm
06-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Not so. In raid 0, there is no redundancy. If you lose one, you lose it all.

I've got the laptop on raid0 right now. I'll time the boot up and start of some windows programs, then format a single ssd and do the same thing.

I wanted to avoid that, oh well :)

MUPiSz
06-11-2012, 12:12 AM
i just purchased two of these g75vw. this is configs they had at frys:

17"
i7 3610QM 2.3
16GB ram
ge force 670m 3gb
2x500gb 5400 hdd

17"
i7 3610QM 2.3
12GB ram
ge force 670m 3gb
1x750 7200 hdd

i liked the first one so much i bought another. the 5400's are way too slow so i'll replace with crucial m4 256 sdd

the second one i have 4gb ram to bring it to 16. i'll put a crucial m4 256 in it too, i've spent this much so why not.

so yeah, i like them. the price was good though as you can see i will spend some more to upgrade the drives.

i unscrewed the one screw for the cover of the drives & memory but it isn't coming off easy. is there something i'm missing here? another hidden screw or a certain way to slip the cover off? i didn't want to pry to hard and break it already ;-)

tia

m3rcer
06-11-2012, 02:51 AM
i unscrewed the one screw for the cover of the drives & memory but it isn't coming off easy. is there something i'm missing here? another hidden screw or a certain way to slip the cover off? i didn't want to pry to hard and break it already ;-)

tia

Get a flathead screwdriver and slowly pry it open. It'll pop in various places, but don't worry, it's supposed to. When putting the cover back on, kinda slide the rear area in first, then start pressing down around from rear to front, popping it back into place.

MUPiSz
06-11-2012, 03:30 AM
Get a flathead screwdriver and slowly pry it open. It'll pop in various places, but don't worry, it's supposed to. When putting the cover back on, kinda slide the rear area in first, then start pressing down around from rear to front, popping it back into place.

whoa! that worked. now my fingers have the "feel" of it popping out. didn't want to break anything this soon.

thanks much!!